• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is there an end date for the diamond celebration?

KayKayJS

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone. We are planning a trip to Disneyland either in October this year , or May of next year. Because of work - we are leaning towards May but are worried that the diamond celebration may not still be going on. I can't seem to find any information on this so forgive me if it's out there... HELP! :)

Ps. DLH or GCH? :P

So far there has been no official end date for the Diamond Anniversary Celebration, but the best guessing is that it'll either run until the start of Summer 2016 or through the Summer of 2016. The new entertainment (fireworks, PtN, and WoC) will most likely run well beyond the official end of the Diamond Anniversary Celebration (e.g., Remember, the fireworks show for the 50th, was presented until last year!).

Disney's "yearlong" celebrations tend to last for 18 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if it went all the way thru 2016. Nothing official has been announced—that's just my guess.

Also, just noticed your P.S.

GCH is much more about sort of the elegance and grandeur, while DLH is more Disney-centric. Depends on which you prefer! You can't go wrong with either.

World of Color - Celebrate has gotten rather tepid reviews. It does not seem to be as well-liked as Disneyland Forever and Paint the Night. I wouldn't be surprised if that disappears before anything else.

While there is no official end date for any of the offerings (and, yes, it is a subject that has come up a lot on this forum!) and some of them will likely continue on indefinitely, it is important to note that it is unlikely that the current "all 60th, all the time" schedule will continue on into next year, and especially beyond 2016.

For example, right now and probably through the end of the year, the only fireworks happening are Disneyland Forever, with the exception of Mickey's Halloween Party nights -- which will have Halloween Screams fireworks. There will almost certainly be no holiday season-specific fireworks this year (which is also what happened in 2005, during the 50th anniversary). I would expect that at some point in the future, Disneyland Forever will be scaled back so that the holiday fireworks can be reintegrated into the season, and also scaled back from a nightly schedule (which is what is happening this year) to a "regular" fireworks schedule (which means, during the off season the fireworks would not be nightly). So, Disneyland Forever will probably continue on into 2016, but maybe at a reduced schedule as compared to what is happening now.

Paint the Night may eventually be scaled back too -- isn't it currently running 2 times each night? It could be scaled back to only once per night by next year.

As for the hotels, the GCH rooms are rather cramped, in my opinion. There's not a lot of floor space to set things down. The public areas of the GCH are wonderful - the lobby is a great place to hang out with a drink in hand, and Storytellers Café is a decent place to eat. The whole vibe of the GCH is that of "rustic elegance." It almost seems like a high end ski lodge in the mountains.

The Disneyland Hotel's rooms are more spacious, and there are many more "classic" Disney touches around the property -- character topiaries, teacup chairs in the lobby of the Fantasy Tower, Mary Blair-inspired art, retro collages, etc. Tangaroa Terrace is a good counter service location, and Trader Sam's is very popular as well.

Last edited:
Paint the Night may eventually be scaled back too -- isn't it currently running 2 times each night? It could be scaled back to only once per night by next year.
Based on the schedule that has been posted for late August/early September so far, PtN drops down to one showing per night when the park closes on the earlier side. For example, on August 26 (Wed), DL closes at 10:00 pm and PtN is only listed at 8:30 pm. It's possible that they might add a second presentation at closing if there is enough demand, but at this point, PtN is slated for only once per night once the summer season begins to wind down.

Based on the schedule that has been posted for late August/early September so far, PtN drops down to one showing per night when the park closes on the earlier side. For example, on August 26 (Wed), DL closes at 10:00 pm and PtN is only listed at 8:30 pm. It's possible that they might add a second presentation at closing if there is enough demand, but at this point, PtN is slated for only once per night once the summer season begins to wind down.

That seems to fall in line with a rumor that I read on another site -- which is that PtN would be cut back to one showing per night during the holiday season too.

I would probably guess that PtN will run a fairly similar schedule in Sep, Oct, Nov, and early December; once per night on weekdays and twice per night on weekends (Fri to Sun). I do think that once the peak Holiday season goes into effect (e.g., nightly F! and midnight closing times in DL on a daily basis), PtN might go back to the two presentations per night schedule (similar to the summer schedule).

The other "year long+" celebrations did kind of die down near the end. So it wasn't like the 50th and 55th were still going strong 16 months in and then ended abruptly. I think the castle, most of the blue banners and some merchandise will last into 2016. But it's possible that some decorations don't come back after Christmas this year.

Thank you everyone! We decided to go ahead and do October because we don't want to miss anything! :)

I was at the World of Disney in Disneyland's Downtown Disney about 2 weeks ago and a manager was helping me because the 60th shirt I wanted wasn't stocked in the size I needed. Anyway, she told me to keep checking back (gave me an email and a phone number to call) because the 60th was going to be running for at least 18 months.

I fully expect it to last through the end of 2016.

Or at least that is what I am betting on since my next visit isn't until May 2016.

...because the 60th was going to be running for at least 18 months.
While checking in at GCH last month, I commented on the new Diamond Celebration room keys with Mickey (Minnie for concierge) -- the CM said these keys would be used for 18 months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter