Is there an Everything Water Parks thread/area?

AngiTN

DIS Veteran
I've looked and looked and if there is something, I'm missing it.
I have always assumed we'd never do a Water Park. DH hates them. Can't swim, hates the sun, being hot, being outside just sitting around, everything that you'd do at a Water Park makes him miserable.
Well, turns out DGD and I will be at Disney a day and a half without him next month.
So, we though why not try out a water park.
But I know nothing about either one really. Other than their names.
DGD is not at all adventurous so we'd probably steer clear of any massive slides. A slide at a regular pool is thrilling for her. She is also not a super strong swimmer so I'll be right on her tail the entire time.
Is there anywhere I can go to read over what each one has and the differences in them?

I guess a more specific question may be which of the 2 is a better choice for someone NOT wanting huge slides? Is there one. Sort of hard for me to tell which of the slides would be too much for us

We like TL better for the slides and lazy river. The wave pool is rougher there though, can really knock you around. TL just added another family raft ride. There are several of the slides that are not crazy, easier. I also think it is prettier.

I think that Blizzard has more intense slides, easier wave pool. Lazy river at BB is a little shallower I believe.

There are kids areas in each, depending on the age of DGD, would be a factor in which of those areas would be better.

They have life vests for DGD. So that should help.

We just throw everything in a locker when there. Have never wore swim shoes or flip flops but it can get hot on the feet. We bring waterproof cameras and magicbands and float the lazy river to get anywhere we need to go.

We love going to the waterparks. So much fun. We usually spend a lot of time in just the river and wave pools. Lots of spots for shade, icecram, snacks...just bring sunblock!

The Typhoon Lagoon slides are pretty much all kid-friendly. Most Blizzard Beach slides are kid friendly, but they do have some more intense/extreme ones there also. The wave pool at TL is definitely rougher, but I think as long as you are aware of that beforehand it isn't such a big deal. Unfortunately my family learned that fact the hard way!

Thanks. Good info. DGD is a tall 9 yo so probably too tall for many kiddie areas
I've been debating just staying at BC for a night and saving the money on the water park but I think she's got her heart set on trying one out.

She has a habit of watching The Today Show and even turned in on while DH and I were at Disney last week. She caught the episode on Monday where they were talking about Volcano Bay over at Unviersal. She was gushing to tell me all about it. The day we are looking to go so happens to be the day it opens but I'm too worried about crowds to attempt it on opening day. But, that really got her wanting to try out a water park and I think a Disney one would fill her desire.

Way back when I was a kid we did a water park wave pool on a youth trip. It was really scary. Almost all of us kids (from land locked TN) had never seen one, been in the ocean or any of that. Almost all of us had to get "rescued" from the pool. So I also learned the hard way how rough they can be.

both are fun for a 9 year old. They will be having the Frozen Summer games at BB again this summer, which is a fun daily set of games for kids (and adults) throughout the day. The wave pool at BB is 'bobbing waves" which is fun to sit on a tube and do, but the pool at TL is a giant surf wave, which is awesome, but very shocking the first time you go in if you are not expecting it (search for you tube video on it). Most of the rides at TL are not too adventurous, and there are double raft rides (3 on slush and gusher) plus the new family ride. BB has 2 bigger body slides and the family raft ride can fit 6 which is fun and not too fast. Both have great lazy rivers that circle the entire park, and life jackets for all shapes and sizes of kids. BB has the ski patrol training area which is fun for kids that are not toddlers any more (mine 9 YO loves it). Either are great to do - you can't really go wrong.

Typhoon Lagoon has some slides, but it is more focused on tube rides. Crush and Gusher and the new Adventure falls are my family's favorites. The day we went to Blizzard beach, Summit Plummet and Slush Gusher were closed, so I can't compare which I enjoyed more. But since you aren't interested in those anyway, I would choose Typhoon Lagoon in your situation.

I guess a more specific question may be which of the 2 is a better choice for someone NOT wanting huge slides? Is there one. Sort of hard for me to tell which of the slides would be too much for us

Honestly, you won't go wrong with either one. We love them both, I'd bet we've been to each one 20 times. They both have good kids areas. They both have fun family tube rides...the one at TL is a 4 person raft, so it's a bit "smaller". The one at BB is a 5 or 6 person raft, so it's huge. But the rides are fairly similar. They do have different thrill slides, but if you won't be doing them, then it really doesn't matter anyway. They both also have more mild slides that kids and adults will like. They both also have lazy rivers...identical in concept, just different in theming.

Biggest difference is the wave pool. TL is incredible, and intense. Doesn't mean a little child can't go in...it's a zero entry pool, so you can stand in at ankle depth and the waves will only come up to your shins. But if you wade in to chest height for an adult, the waves are killer...wouldn't recommend it for a weak swimmer. However, there's actually a kiddie area off to the side of it, so there are plenty of ways to experience that wave pool without being intense. It has a wave about every 90 seconds. Does that for about 20 minutes, then stops for a while before starting again. The one in BB is much more mild...it's consistent small waves. You can float in a tube in it, just lots of bobbing up and down.

Rope drop the parks...but don't get there 45 minutes early. 5 minutes is more than enough. The first hour is great to get slides done because there is no line...and there is no FP+ there so once the lines build, it is what it is. There are a lot of steps, so beware of that...lots of climbing. BB has a ski lift style lift to take you to the top of one of the areas if you want, but it has a long line and stops often because of guests who don't know how to get on/off.

Go to either one. You'll have fun!!

I think I'd be nervous with not very strong swimmers in the Typhoon Lagoon wave pool. I used to be a lifeguard and am I very strong swimmer, but I had some girlfriends who did not enjoy the wave pool because it was too much for them.

I didn't love water parks until I did BB on a lark, and now I love the WDW waterparks. Still not convinced about the local ones although I ended up at one last summer. I think think a festival earlier that day influenced that decision though.

I prefer BB because I think the theming is completely unique. TL is fun too though. Just the lazy river at BB is fun enough for me, and while neither has food that's worth the calories, I think BB has better options from drinks to sweets.

My 8year old really liked TL, she tried every slide but there were some she definitely didn't want to do a second time! I found any of the slides where you are able to sit in a ring to be reasonably tame. The Crush N Gusher in particular is a lot of fun and almost coaster like, she may surprise you once she's there!
The only problem is carrying those rings up and down the stairs. When we were there it was quiet, and I must've looked like I was going to pass out from going up and down so many times, as some teenage girls offered to take her round a few times for me! How sweet.
Like you already said, the only problem is at 8/9 they aren't allowed in the kiddies area anymore, and they were pretty strict about it.
This is probably entirely unhelpful as I'm not sure on where you're staying etc, but her favourite water park was actually Aquatica. It's a really lovely park. The kids area is amazing for all ages and seeing Dolphins and parrots throughout the day is lovely. Slides are great too.

Thanks all. Lots of great info. Sounds like we will have a blast at whichever we pick. It will be the Thursday before memorial day weekend so hopefully not too crazy busy just yet. But I do think we'll have some waits. It may be too late but I'm going to call and see if either have any chairs left to rent. I'd love to know we have a spot

Hi @AngiTN, late to your thread but I very much agree with @Klayfish and @amberpi above, I would have said very similar things.

I probably would have never gone to a WDW water park but several years ago we stayed at Poly when their main pool was under renovation and guests had free access to BB. We went and had the BEST time. Now we ALWAYS do a water park day if we have time. Love them both, but like BB just a tad more. As my kids get older I could see that shifting to TL a bit.

We've rented cabanas at BB the last few times which is sort of stupid expensive, but a nice way to splurge if you're into that kind of thing (but not really necessary).

Hope you have a great time, whatever you do.

Thanks. No advice is too late, that's for sure. I may be limited to who has a chair to rent but if they both have them then I'm probably not any close to a choice. I think we'll be a day too early for the Frozen stuff at BB, unless they soft opening some things or something

Thanks. Good info. DGD is a tall 9 yo so probably too tall for many kiddie areas
I've been debating just staying at BC for a night and saving the money on the water park but I think she's got her heart set on trying one out.

She has a habit of watching The Today Show and even turned in on while DH and I were at Disney last week. She caught the episode on Monday where they were talking about Volcano Bay over at Unviersal. She was gushing to tell me all about it. The day we are looking to go so happens to be the day it opens but I'm too worried about crowds to attempt it on opening day. But, that really got her wanting to try out a water park and I think a Disney one would fill her desire.

Way back when I was a kid we did a water park wave pool on a youth trip. It was really scary. Almost all of us kids (from land locked TN) had never seen one, been in the ocean or any of that. Almost all of us had to get "rescued" from the pool. So I also learned the hard way how rough they can be.

There is a kiddie area and a tween area at BB that she would probably enjoy. I like both parks but would not do TL with someone that was not a strong swimmer. BB has slides, family ride and the chair lift. Yes it has some thrill slides, but it also has enjoyable areas that aren't too intense. Go to either and you will have a great time.

My family is NOT adventurous but really enjoyed BB. My boys loved the wave pool, which we found to be mild. The waves were not intense. They have tubes floating around for anyone to use, we enjoyed those. There's also a photopass photographer in the pool!

We arrive just after opening. You can easily put all your stuff on one chair near the wave pool. We use a travelon waterproof phone case to keep our phones with us. All our valuables we store in the room safe. Magic bands for food and drinks. Also, resort guests now receive complementary towel rentals. Just show your magic bands.

BB slides are much wilder. If I'm counting right off the top of my head they have 5 intense slides, a family raft ride, and a tube ride that may or may not be too intense.

So at BB you would have:
Family raft, wave pool, lazy river, ski patrol, and maybe tube ride. And option for intense slides.

TL has two family raft rides, two mild tube rides, the roller coaster type slide (not intense), and lazy river.

TL had two intense slides and intense wave pool (though shallow end is fun and not intense)

If you prefer mild slides go to TL.

If you prefer preteen play area and bobbing wave pool then BB.

For a first water park visit I would suggest TL. After the mild slides DGD might then be interested in intense BB slides at a later date.

I ended up getting an Umbrella at TL so I guess that's where we'll go. They had them at both. I thought maybe we'd like the family raft rides a lot, and it has 2. Anyway, now I have 1 more choice, and it's related to the WP but not solely.
We can either fly in really late on Wednesday night, get our own bags, get up and go to the WP or fly in really early and go straight to the WP after we land. We wouldn't be there when they open, by about 10:30 or 11:00, and stay till close. Since we have an umbrella, that would work wouldn't it? Is being there when they open important?

I ended up getting an Umbrella at TL so I guess that's where we'll go. They had them at both. I thought maybe we'd like the family raft rides a lot, and it has 2. Anyway, now I have 1 more choice, and it's related to the WP but not solely.
We can either fly in really late on Wednesday night, get our own bags, get up and go to the WP or fly in really early and go straight to the WP after we land. We wouldn't be there when they open, by about 10:30 or 11:00, and stay till close. Since we have an umbrella, that would work wouldn't it? Is being there when they open important?

That first hour at the park is the best time in the park, in my opinion, because it's relatively empty, so you get to go on lots of slides without waiting in line. After 10 the crowds start picking up, and at 11 there are already long lines for all the slides. I personally would never go to the WP that late.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter