Is there any actual mixing in the mixology tasting?

Reviving this old thread to see if (hopefully) the mixology class now actually includes some mixing of cocktails for the guests. Anyone with recent experience want to chime in? Thanks!
We did it on the Dream in November and almost all drinks were made by the guests mixing.

My boys did mixology 1/25 on the fantasy. They got to mix a drink. Everyone did if they wanted to. Was an hour long. $45

We were just on the Wish a few weeks ago in December and all of the drinks were mixed by the assistants. We did not mix any of your drinks.

We did this class on the Dream in October and the guests mixed all beverages. I believe there were 5. The bartender demonstrated first and then asked for participants for each drink.

We did this on the Fantasy in November. Each person at the tablet got an opportunity to mix one drink (and they got to drink it). For everyone else, that drink was made by the bartenders and served around. But yes, definitely mixing and everyone got to do it.

We did this on the Fantasy in November. Each person at the tablet got an opportunity to mix one drink (and they got to drink it). For everyone else, that drink was made by the bartenders and served around. But yes, definitely mixing and everyone got to do it.
Funny because we were on the Fantasy beginning of Dec and didn’t get to . We were told people were pouring to much alcohol in the drinks and a lot of people couldn‘t drink them and complained.

I miss the people doing it because it was fun just to watch.

Guess it’s hit and miss.

In our class, all drinks were made by the class participants. We had some shy guests so my husband and I each went up twice to make drinks because people were not jumping at the opportunity. When we were at the bar, we made four or five servings and handed it out to the others ourselves.

I'll allow that my experience with the mixology is dated, but the first one we did, we had 25 people in the class and we each wound up with 5 drinks. 5 people at a time would go up and the bartender would walk them through making 5 glasses of whatever that particular drink was, then everyone in the class got one of the glasses to drink. They were really 1/2 size glasses, so 5 drinks didn't get us too buzzed.

Second time we had the class, there were around 25-30 people in the class and the bartender mixed all the drinks (one example of how to mix it) and we were served premixed (small) glasses of each one.

I enjoyed the first class best.

In our class, all drinks were made by the class participants. We had some shy guests so my husband and I each went up twice to make drinks because people were not jumping at the opportunity. When we were at the bar, we made four or five servings and handed it out to the others ourselves.
Interesting! Seems like the experience really varies depending on who's running it . . .

So I've done this on two different ships and got two ENTIRELY different experiences. Both done in Fall of 2023

Magic, the bartender explained and showed how to make the drink. He had one person come up and try to make one then the other bartenders brought out trays of premixed drinks out for everyone else. He did this for each drink explaining why to use certain liquors and such along the way.

Dream, the bartender set up 5 stations. Each drink the bartender explained how to make it then had multiple volunteers come up and make 4-5 drinks each and distributed to the rest of the guests there. This happened for each drink so there was enough for everyone to at least try it once if they wanted to. Basically all drinks were made by the guests rather than the bartenders.

So I've done this on two different ships and got two ENTIRELY different experiences. Both done in Fall of 2023

Magic, the bartender explained and showed how to make the drink. He had one person come up and try to make one then the other bartenders brought out trays of premixed drinks out for everyone else. He did this for each drink explaining why to use certain liquors and such along the way.

Dream, the bartender set up 5 stations. Each drink the bartender explained how to make it then had multiple volunteers come up and make 4-5 drinks each and distributed to the rest of the guests there. This happened for each drink so there was enough for everyone to at least try it once if they wanted to. Basically all drinks were made by the guests rather than the bartenders.
This is exactly how my two experiences were. First one on the Magic 2008 (groups of 5 making drinks that everyone would drink), second one on the Fantasy 2014 bartender made a sample drink and pre-made ones were distributed to the group.

The *only* value in this tasting is if the bartenders allow the guests to make the drinks behind the bar with instructions. In this format, it is fun, interactive and a real blast. Absent that, I will be passing up this experience for all future cruises. I can't imagine a more boring bar experience than a bartender mixing 25-40 of the same drink and explaining the drink while he/she does it.

The *only* value in this tasting is if the bartenders allow the guests to make the drinks behind the bar with instructions. In this format, it is fun, interactive and a real blast. Absent that, I will be passing up this experience for all future cruises. I can't imagine a more boring bar experience than a bartender mixing 25-40 of the same drink and explaining the drink while he/she does it.
In our experience where they made all the drinks, the others were made behind the scenes. We didn't have to wait for him to make 40 of them. The main guy explained everything, gave some history, made the drink then had a volunteer do it and trays of drinks came out after

I will say. We didn’t make drinks on Wish and it was one of my favorites in doing it 16 times. IMO depends on bartenders

We did this class on the Dream in October and the guests mixed all beverages. I believe there were 5. The bartender demonstrated first and then asked for participants for each drink.
This is exactly how it was for us as well on the Dream in August.

I did mixology on the Wonder a few weeks ago and the drinks were pre mixed. They didn't even demo making one. It was still fun as the guy running it had a great sense of humour, but didn't compare to doing it myself on the Fantasy pre COVID. It's much better actually learning how to make the drinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter