Is there anyone else who doesn't do the whole "Santa" thing?

Not believing in Santa doesn't take away from the innocence of childhood or force a child to grow up too soon.:confused3

In your opinion, not everyone's and not mine.

Kids now adays know the horrible reality of the real world way too soon. A whole heck of alot sooner then when I was a child.

I like the idea of giving my children a little make believe magic away from the realities of this big bad world they will be forced into way too soon.

I'm not telling anyone to adopt my way of doing things or thinking, but respect my wishes, don't call me a bad mom for supposedly lying to my kids (which I think is a crock) and tell your kids don't spoil it for my kids. And when my kids do question Santa, I will turn it around also and say, What do you think? Just like my 10 year old told my 5 yo when she questioned this past trip at WDW, "How could Mickey be in so many places at one time?" He told her its magic. Yes, it is!

I think everyone has a right to their religion and their beliefs on Santa. But just as I teach my kids Santa comes to this house it stays in this house. I also do a week of exploring how different ppl celebrate different ways. This year not as in detailed due to being sick. But stories, art etc... It is good for them to learn and know. But I also to teach them to respect each other and what they do in their homes.

If you do not do Santa, then that is how it is done in your house. I choose Santa and Jesus and that is how it is done in my house. Like my DH says, if you are not paying my mortgage you do not have a say so LOL. He is a snarky one.

My children (6 and 3) will learn in due time the truth. But I would like the magic this represents in my home to not come to an end because of someone who teaches their child it is ok to destroy dreams of others.

Children grow up to fast. I want to enjoy what I have with them with this magical journey. I do infact teach them about other cultures. But they believe Santa today and tomorrow I do not want my 3 yr old crying over it. Sure believing in Santa will not make or break a childhood but in this house we believe.

I guess I am truly confused reading through this thread. Is Christmas something other than a Christian holiday? What else are you celebrating aside from the birth of the savior? That would be like non-Jewish people celebrating Hannakah...do they? Maybe I am naive. Do non-Christians celebrate Easter? To me, as a Christian this is even more meaningful than Christmas. Easter is what solidifies Him as the savior.

The Santa thing is a personal choice, but certainly prevalent and should be treated with respect. Judging you at work or elsewhere seems inappropriate.

I am totally not judging religion or lack of; that is one of the rights that make this country great. ;)

We have not made a big deal about Santa. We talk about him b/c it is fun but we do not let it distract from the true meaning of Christmas. In our house Santa brings 3 gifts to celebrate Jesus' birthday to represent the 3 gifts from the Wise men. We also tell them that mom and dad have to pay for the gifts. Truthfully, there is very little discussion about Santa.

If you ask DS2 if what santa is going to bring, he says "a box." But if you ask him what holiday is coming he will say Jesus' B-day.

I guess I am truly confused reading through this thread. Is Christmas something other than a Christian holiday? What else are you celebrating aside from the birth of the savior? That would be like non-Jewish people celebrating Hannakah...do they? Maybe I am naive. Do non-Christians celebrate Easter? To me, as a Christian this is even more meaningful than Christmas. Easter is what solidifies Him as the savior.

The Santa thing is a personal choice, but certainly prevalent and should be treated with respect. Judging you at work or elsewhere seems inappropriate.

I am totally not judging religion or lack of; that is one of the rights that make this country great. ;)

We are not Christian, and we celebrate Christmas. It has nothing to do with the birth of any savior, it is Santa and celebrating family, and the spirit of giving and helping others.

This is so interesting to me. I grew up believing and honestly didn't know anyone who didn't believe. As an adult I met one family (only one ever) who didn't believe and their reason was not to give Santa credit for what they purchased. I don't mind Santa getting credit in our house, in fact I always give the best gifts from Santa, I think it continues the magic (they believe longer because they know mommy is too cheap to buy those gifts!) But I had no idea so many people didn't believe. I don't think any of my kids have run into any kids that don't beleive and if they have those kids have not spilled the beans for my kids.

My oldest has learned about Santa now (she learned at the age of 11). When she found out she was not at all angry, but rather a bit sad. She wished, as I did, that she had believed longer. But I told her that Santa is very much real, it is not about the man but how the man makes you feel, the spirit of him that lives inside you. It's the spirit that makes a cheap-o mom like me buy crazy things I never otehwise would just to see their little faces light up, or the spirit that drags us out in the cold to sing Christmas carols to the neighbors or the spirit that, despite our finances being tough right now, gives a dollar here and there to the red kettles outside the grocery store. For me, Santa is very much alive and he lives inside all of us this time of year.

I do know the real reason of the season, and it's a beautiful thing, but I like to enjoy both parts of the holiday. The more the merrier I guess for me.

Like I said, I was just surprised to read this. I had no idea so many (who celebrate Christmas) didn't believe, it's interesting.

As for work, my DH works for a Jewish family, they respect our beliefs and we respect theirs and never has that affected my DH's employment.

This is so interesting to me. I grew up believing and honestly didn't know anyone who didn't believe. As an adult I met one family (only one ever) who didn't believe and their reason was not to give Santa credit for what they purchased. I don't mind Santa getting credit in our house, in fact I always give the best gifts from Santa, I think it continues the magic (they believe longer because they know mommy is too cheap to buy those gifts!) But I had no idea so many people didn't believe. I don't think any of my kids have run into any kids that don't beleive and if they have those kids have not spilled the beans for my kids.

My oldest has learned about Santa now (she learned at the age of 11). When she found out she was not at all angry, but rather a bit sad. She wished, as I did, that she had believed longer. But I told her that Santa is very much real, it is not about the man but how the man makes you feel, the spirit of him that lives inside you. It's the spirit that makes a cheap-o mom like me buy crazy things I never otehwise would just to see their little faces light up, or the spirit that drags us out in the cold to sing Christmas carols to the neighbors or the spirit that, despite our finances being tough right now, gives a dollar here and there to the red kettles outside the grocery store. For me, Santa is very much alive and he lives inside all of us this time of year.

That was beautifully said. As my kids are getting older I'm sure they don't believe. When they ask me, I say the spirit of Santa is real. I hope that is something they always believe.:santa:

I do have a friend who is christian and has told her kids from day 1 that there is no such thing as Santa. Her children each get one gift for Christmas from their parents. Our children don't socialize with eachother so it's never been an issue as far as them telling my children anything.

I encourage everyone to do a little research. Nearly every "Christian" holiday has roots in festivals and celebrations far older. When the Christian religion was in its infancy, the church wanted to convince the illiterate and unchurched masses to stop celebrating "pagan" and "heathen" feast days and holidays. So it kind of just took them over and changed things a bit. What is now Christmas, began as Saturnalia, or the Winter Solstice. What is now Easter has its roots in Ostara, and the Spring Equinox. It was a lot easier to make the heathens celebrate the "right" holidays if they bore a good resemblance to what the masses were familiar with. Many of the traditions of those old feast days (trees, yule logs, baby animals, eggs) are still the same today, they have just been given new meaning.
Now I am not saying any of this is good, bad or indifferent, just that it is possible to not be Christian (I am firmly agnostic) and still enjoy the holiday. To me, Christmas is love, joy, caring, giving, and family traditions. Sometimes I illustrate that with the story of Santa, sometimes with the story of Jesus, sometimes with the story of Tomte (a Norse Land Spirit known for giving gifts to children at this time of year)!
I always encourage everyone to do some research on Christian traditions and their origins, and also comparative studies on other world religions. Very eye-opening!
Blessed yule!

Okay on the ruining of Santa for other kids. . .

If your child ask my DD4 if she believes in Santa she will give you a general response of "if you don't believe you don't recieve" but if you child ask again, my DD will flat out tell you that Santa is not real and that the meaning of Christmas is not about Santa. Did she ruin it for your child, maybe, but your child asked. I am not going to teach her not to tell people what she believes. Everyone has the right to their beliefs and if you didn't want to know hers then you shouldn't have asked.

She is getting a bb gun for Christmas this year, my BIL in very anit-gun. My sister made the comment to me, to make sure she doesn't tell her uncle what she got. My reply was "if he doesn't want the truth then tell him not to ask, because I am not going to tell her to lie to him, that would be wrong."

You are right, kids these days have grown up alot faster then any of us ever did. I would rather my child grow up fast then be in shock when she sees how the world really is.

Okay on the ruining of Santa for other kids. . .
If your child ask my DD4 if she believes in Santa she will give you a general response of "if you don't believe you don't recieve" but if you child ask again, my DD will flat out tell you that Santa is not real and that the meaning of Christmas is not about Santa. Did she ruin it for your child, maybe, but your child asked. I am not going to teach her not to tell people what she believes. Everyone has the right to their beliefs and if you didn't want to know hers then you shouldn't have asked.

Exactly. My kid doesn't believe in Santa and I tell him that it's not his job to let other kids know the truth and not to talk about it at school. Of course, I don't get the impression that any of the Santa believers are telling their kids to respect the fact that other kids don't have Santa coming to their house. And every random stranger - without respect to the wide diversity of cultures and beliefs - loves to ask him if he's "excited about Santa coming" or if "he's being good so he'll get lots of toys from Santa." Even though I teach him not to jump into a conversation and ruin some other kids belief, if some adult stops and asks him what he got from Santa without even considering the fact that people come from different cultural backgrounds... I kind of enjoy the moment when he says, "Santa's not real."

... I kind of enjoy the moment when he says, "Santa's not real."

Why would you enjoy this moment? :confused3

Especially if its some little old lady just trying to be nice, who didn't have to grow up in this big politically correct world.

If my children didn't believe, I wouldn't teach them to be rude to some unsuspecting person. Its just the natural way to ask some kids about Christmas. Its what my 93 yo Aunt does. She still asks my 17 yo cousin, what did Santa bring you? My cousin just laughs and tells her what she got. No need to hurt feelings.

Our Christmas celebrations include both Jesus and Santa. I feel that my children can enjoy both. We are a Christian family and they know that Jesus is the reason we celebrate Christmas. My ds7 said this morning "you know that Christ is Christmas" - I think he hit the nail on the head. My dd5 just asked me about an hour ago, "if Christmas is celebrating Jesus' birthday, then why do we get the presents?"

This is my ds7's first year knowing the truth about Santa. He came home from school and was very upset - apparently, two boys tied him to the basketball hoop with a jump rope and made fun of him because he still believed. He already had his doubts and I decided I would rather tell him the truth then have him tortured by other children. So I told him the truth, and I also told him that we shouldn't tell other children and ruin the magic of Santa for them. He immediately told his little sister - but apparently she doesn't take what bubby says as truth.

As far as your co-workers, church family, etc. why do they really care? Each family has to decide what is right for them. Same thing at Easter with the Resurection vs. the Bunny.

Hi Everyone --

In the spirit of the holiday season I am going to ask everyone to play nice. Sarcasm and personal attacks may result in warnings or infractions.

Thank you for your cooperation.

We have Santa at our house, and he fills stockings for anybody who sleeps in our house on Christmas eve. So far DD7 and DD3 both believe, and I enjoy their believe. I grew up with Santa, and I knew he wasn't real, long before my mom would admit it. She wanted to have that magic continue, so I was 16 before she would admit it. Right around then, my DSis and I started to fill my Mom's stocking from Santa. The very first time was exciting, because I got up and did it, after Mom had filled ours, so it was a complete surprise to her in the morning. Before we had kids, DH and I would do each other's stocking, but it still had to be done secretly. So he'd do mine after I went to bed, and I'd get up early and do his before waking up. Now we do the kids together and then he does mine, and I get up in the middle of the night and do his. But I'm getting nervous that DD will get up in the night and check, so I'm trying to wake up and do it earlier. Its silly, but I just drink lots of water in the evening, so I know I'll wake up in the night to go to the bathroom and can get it done then. :lmao: My DD7 does know that not every Santa she sees is the real Santa, and that doesn't deter her believe that there is a Santa. I know she's heard other kids say Santa isn't real, but she just thinks they are wrong. Similarily, last year she had a classmate tell her that the princesses at DL weren't real, and she just thinks that kid is wrong. If she asks, so far, I've just responded with what do you think, and its left there, but I'm sure the end is coming.

When kids want to believe, they do. That said, I don't think its nice for kids to go and tell other kids that there is no santa, and its definitely wrong for kids to make fun of other kids for believing.

Sorry for the long post, I got in the typing zone :surfweb:

I encourage everyone to do a little research. Nearly every "Christian" holiday has roots in festivals and celebrations far older. When the Christian religion was in its infancy, the church wanted to convince the illiterate and unchurched masses to stop celebrating "pagan" and "heathen" feast days and holidays. So it kind of just took them over and changed things a bit.

Actually pagans who had converted to Christianity wanted to continue to celebrate at Christmas, and they found a way to do it.

Easter is connected Passover. Only the dopey stuff like bunnies and eggs are from the pagan roots.

Actually pagans who had converted to Christianity wanted to continue to celebrate at Christmas, and they found a way to do it.

Easter is connected Passover. Only the dopey stuff like bunnies and eggs are from the pagan roots.

*OFF TOPIC WARNING*
You are quite correct, today's Easter celebration can be connected with the Jewish feast of Passover. However I will point you here if you are interested in how other cultures' celebrations have all been adapted into our modern-day Easter celebration.
*END OFF TOPIC MOMENT*
We now return you to your regularily-scheduled Holiday programming :hug:

Hmmmm.....

I guess we're on the other end of the spectrum. We've told our DS (age 5) that Jesus is a nice story that lots of people believe in and like to celebrate this time of year because some people believe that Jesus was a real and was born around this time of year. And, that the story has some nice and important lessons about how we should treat other people, etc. And, we should always respect what people believe in and be kind about it, even if we don't believe it ourselves. And, of course, that, when he grows up, he can decide for himself what he believes. So, he understands that. But, our Christmas celebration is all about being with friends and family, the joy of giving and sharing, special holiday traditions, etc. Not a bit about Jesus.

Santa, on the other hand, we believe in whole heartedly! :lmao:

Honestly, I don't believe either story is more far-fetched than the other.

We do this too. Our kids are young enough that we haven't had to say much about Jesus yet, but they saw some nativities when we looked at xmas lights and we explained to them that they represent another xmas story that some folks believe in.

We celebrate the holiday traditions and really they are older than Christianity. If my daughter ever came home from school desperately wanting to try a tradition from Hannukah, we would certainly let her research it and talk about it. If she wanted some candles to light, that would be OK too. For me it's really important to raise my kids to be free thinking in terms of religion. I want them to find what works for them and go for it.

I encourage everyone to do a little research. Nearly every "Christian" holiday has roots in festivals and celebrations far older. When the Christian religion was in its infancy, the church wanted to convince the illiterate and unchurched masses to stop celebrating "pagan" and "heathen" feast days and holidays. So it kind of just took them over and changed things a bit. What is now Christmas, began as Saturnalia, or the Winter Solstice. What is now Easter has its roots in Ostara, and the Spring Equinox. It was a lot easier to make the heathens celebrate the "right" holidays if they bore a good resemblance to what the masses were familiar with. Many of the traditions of those old feast days (trees, yule logs, baby animals, eggs) are still the same today, they have just been given new meaning.
Now I am not saying any of this is good, bad or indifferent, just that it is possible to not be Christian (I am firmly agnostic) and still enjoy the holiday. To me, Christmas is love, joy, caring, giving, and family traditions. Sometimes I illustrate that with the story of Santa, sometimes with the story of Jesus, sometimes with the story of Tomte (a Norse Land Spirit known for giving gifts to children at this time of year)!
I always encourage everyone to do some research on Christian traditions and their origins, and also comparative studies on other world religions. Very eye-opening!
Blessed yule!

I was going to say something like this, but not nearly as well :)

Why would you enjoy this moment? :confused3

Especially if its some little old lady just trying to be nice, who didn't have to grow up in this big politically correct world.

If my children didn't believe, I wouldn't teach them to be rude to some unsuspecting person. Its just the natural way to ask some kids about Christmas. Its what my 93 yo Aunt does. She still asks my 17 yo cousin, what did Santa bring you? My cousin just laughs and tells her what she got. No need to hurt feelings.

I do think it's unkind to snicker at your child making someone uncomfy who was just trying to be nice to them. Honesty is important but so is kindness and that's a lesson I would put first for my children.

This is not a particularly well researched answer. The need to put down other religions to make you feel better about your own religion isn't a very Christian thing to do ;) My kids love the bunnies and the eggs ;)

My DH and I go one further then not doing the Santa thing.

On Christmas Eve we make a cake that says "Happy Birthday Jesus" on it, we put candles on it and sing happy birthday and then blow the candles out. We give parties for everyone elses birthday, why not baby Jesus. My DD4 has never thought of believing in Santa. She does know not to ruin it for those that do. When someone ask her about Santa she says "If you don't believe, you don't receive" This goes well with our Christian belief also. If you don't believe in Jesus you will never receive him into you heart and into your life.

We do give gifts. DD goes through the toy book and circles what all she wants. Then on Christmas day when she wakes up they are out just like if "Santa" had brought them. But she knows that instead of leaving cookies at night it is a big hug and kiss and a thank you in the morning for her dad and I.

I don't think we are being mean teaching her that there is no such thing as Santa, rather we are teaching her the true meaning of Christmas, a meaning that most kids don't get until they are alot older.

Don't ask about the Easter Bunny because you probably don't want to know the answer.

Thanks for your kind response. My kids go to Christian school, and they have a "Happy Birthday, Jesus! Party" on the last day of school before Christmas break. Usually, it includes birthday cake/cupcakes, singing the birthday song to Baby Jesus, and listening to the Christmas story (the "real" one, from the Bible, not the poem about "The Night Before Christmas"). Anyway, it surprises me that there are still moms who try to bring Santa and Rudolph into the party. I don't have a hard time accepting their desires to let their kids believe in the "magic" of Christmas, and I have told my kids not to ruin it for their friends who still believe in Santa, but what I don't approve of is their ruining my chances of trying to get through the holiday without losing focus of the TRUE meaning.

It's a fine line we cross as Christian parents in a secular world. Your reply was warm and thoughtful, and very much appreciated.

God bless!

Funny how people go NUTS if you ask if Mickey Mouse is real ("of COURSE he's real!!!!"), but some don't give it a second thought to give away the Santa mystery. Not that I'm for Santa or against in any way, just sayin'. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter