Is there anyone who has said they would NOT drive to WDW again?

We can barely stand the 1 1/2 hour drive from our MA home to our NH vacation place. But it is always a tempting thought (saving some money) for extra disney fun. My co-worker drives from MA every spring with his now DS11, DD18 and DW. They make it to VA for the first leg then to disney for the second. He loves it, and has encouraged me to try it. For now I say (with my 3 kids) No Way!

I'm relatively close, 6 1/2 hours, drove twice and swore NEVER AGAIN!

:rolleyes: Then came September 11th...

My son totally refuses to fly. He doesn't get teary or upset, he just gets sensible and logical. The fact that we waited 3-8 hours in the airport BEFORE this mess because of cancelled flights and mixups, imagine adding the new mandatory 2-3 hours to THAT! My flight is only 1 1/2 hours by plane and I've taken as much as a day to get to Orlando!

So when it comes to flying, to that I say NEVER AGAIN!

My son has NEVER said "Are we there yet?" and we drive 2 hours every other week to my parents house ever since he was born. We usually have great conversations and he always takes a nap along the way. Before we know it we're there. This year we're leaving on December 30th to spend the New Year there and his 9th birthday! Wooohooooo! :bounce:

Robinrs..I decided even before Sept 11 that it would take almost as much time to drive there as it woudl to fly. By the time we left here and arrived at our hotel going by plane in would take us about 5.5 hrs to fly there. Now with the added security it would be at least the lenght of time it takes us to drive. I thought I might fly for a weekend trip to US/IOA but it would take just as much time now and the drive isn't bad.

Amen, sha_lyn!

I never thought about how BLESSED we are to be driving distance before now!

Always drive (3-4 hrs away) yeah!!!! My first trip in 74 (I was 8) we took the autotrain . We lived in NJ . I think we had to drive a little to catch it, but it was so much fun and we had our car packed with our suitcases. They just put it on the train and off you go.....

We have driven to Florida three times, once to Boston, once to Maine and once to Vermont but we are flying everywhere from now on. With a family on the way, there is no way I would ever sit for 22 hours in a car - my DH and I are all grown up now (we were young and stupid then) and it is time to move on to flying. We did spend just as much on gas, food and shopping at outlets along the way as a cheap flight might cost. Plus the last time we went to Floridia in May, we were driving along and we saw many deer walking all along the highway the whole way! I was driving at one point and my husband suddenly cried out "Deer"! I thought he meant there was another at the side of the road so I looked over and there she was tearing across the oncoming lane with a bunch of cars including a transport coming at her. There was one of those huge highway divides between us, and she was quite far away so I wasn't concerened about hitting her. Well, she saw the truck and decided her chances were poor so she turned around and came flying towards us. First she jumped in front of a blazeer about 7 car spaces in front of us and nearly ditched it and then all of a sudden she was right in front of us. We had to stop on a dime and she jumped and it was like Tinker bell was pulling her tail up and the fairy Gomother was bibbbity-bobbity-booing her back end because she just flew right over our car - she was so close my DH and I both saw the fear in her eyes. She must have been an inch from the glass and then she was gone. It really was a miracle that we didn't hit her. The car behind us nearly drove into the back of us and there was a black cloud of burnt tires in the air when we pulled over. We couln't believe she hadn't been hurt so my DH went into the woods to check but she was fine! I was shaking so badly, I almost threw up and I was unable to drive for the rest of the trip. My advice to you is FLY! North America lands millions of planes safely every year but every day thousands are hurt or killed in automobile accidents. NNEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Alysa, I'd say that I'm all grown up too (I'm over 40!) but I still choose to drive. :)

I'll let you guys know after our trip!

We are all off the week between Christmas and New Year's so we're taking a family roadtrip. We have 11 days use so we definitely won't be in a hurry. We're going to split the drive into two days, stopping in SC somewhere.

Besides, my DH is having surgery on his knee 11 days before we go. With us taking our conversion van, he can stretch out on the back seat and watch a movie with the kids. He'll be able to do a little of the driving too.

Wish us luck!:)

I did the long 22 hrs driving last year with my hubby (who got scared of driving on the freeway on the mountainous parts of I-75 which was a lot!). We had to stop at GA in Macon city for overnight, then the following morning, we left and drove to disney.

We left Macon, GA at about 11am and got to our resort at about 11pm!! Just because I was so tired of driving that I keep stoping to get some rest. And it was raining at night and it was hard for me to see the road at night let alone when its raining!

I will have to do it again this Dec and Feb! Hubby is terrified of flying especially now after the Sept 11 attack! But what is nice about driving is that you don't have to rent a car when you get there and also, if you decided to stay an extra day or two you can cause you are not on a schedule and you don't get penalize for changing the date of departing Orlando.

After flying the first few times, we started driving and now prefer it. We only live about 10 1/2 hours away, but we still break it up and go to Savannah, Ga. the first day and then drive on to Orlando the next. We drive straight thru on the way home. It really depends on how your children handle car travel. Mine have always loved it and I would start months in advance preparing "goodie bags" with car games, books, etc... for the trip. They also liked books on tape/CD and Disney CD's. We stop whenever we like and don't make it a big deal if someone needs a break. We once drove 17 1/2 hours straight to visit family in Canada and didn't have any trouble. We love having our own car once we arrive to do shopping, etc... Just decide for yourself if you're up to it and if the children can handle a long ride. It also helps if you have someone to share the driving with. My oldest is now out on his own, but my younger 2 are 12 and 13 and whenever I mention going somewhere they both say, "I love a road trip!!" Good luck. ºoº

We've driven 3 years in a row from Illinois. We stop 1/2 way, so total, it's about 22 hours for us. Last year was our first year driving with my 2 ds, 4, and 1. It felt very long this past trip and I vowed I'd never go back unless we can fly!

Oh well, we have a tripped planned in 2002, and yes, we're driving! I guess a little bit of headache is worth saving $1,000.00!

Leah :)

Hi neighbor! We're going in February & I've about managed to talk myself into flying. Must admit that my driving threshhold has gone up (if it were 16 hours or less and not the middle of winter I'd drive it).

If you're in the Boston area and Logan makes you uncomfortable, try Manchester, Providence or Portsmouth. All offer non-stop service (Southwest from Manchester & Providence, Pan-Am from Pease).

Just remember -- over 30,000 (according to People magazine) commercial flights take off every day. Statistically, we're still way safer in planes than cars. If you see me at the airport, I'll be the one saying this over and over and over........

We are driving down from MA in 3 weeks with our nine children (14 yrs - 1yr). We got a great deal on a hotel and figured we needed to drive to keep it low cost. We are psyching ourselves up for it and being very positive with the kids. Like I told my DH, even if it the worst thing that ever happened to us, we will laugh about it in years to come! Hey, this is what memories are made of. Never be afraid to try something!:)

Oh my goodness momof9, you are brave!!! I'm sure you'll make some great memories though. I'm just wondering what kind of vehicle you own that you all fit in! Have a wonderful trip, make sure to tell us about it when you get back.

We've done both. We drove down last month and it was fine.
We are driving down again soon, leaving on Nov 30 then home leaving Orlando on Dec 8. We will be driving back on Dec 26.

For us it SHOULD take about 18-20 hours (they say) but it takes us about 17-17 1/2.
We drive 31/2 to stay with my inlaws in Cincinnati for a couple hours (nap time) :) then we leave about 3-4am and can get to WDW by 5pm. The drive is nice and dh and I love spending time together.

Don't get me wrong, I wish we could get there in 2 hours. But, if we flew everytime, our 3 -4 trips a year would go down to one trip. When we do fly we ALWAYS rent a car. So by time we pay to fly and get a car, etc. we save by driving. And that money allows us to vacation a bit more. Plus, dh loves to drive. He actually prefers it.

We would rather spend money on doing things, seeing things, etc than on flying. For what we pay in gas to drive, we pay less than one airline ticket.

Just a thought!

Kamy

Another Ohioan who would hate to make the long drivewith three kiddos in the car - however, we have driven (pre-kid days) and I like to drive much better than fly, so hoping that one of these days, kids will be able to tolerate the drive as there is so much to see and do between here and there :)

We live in northeastern MA (Methuen) and we have driven to Orlando almost every year - I am not a good flyer and thankfully my DH agrees to go along with the drive to save on $$$ - It saves us approximately 1000.00, not spending money on rental car for 2 weeks and airfare for 4 (DD, 8 and DS 2 1/2) - We own a timeshare at Orange Lake since 1992 so that portion of our trip is 'paid' for and it's not that bad of a ride (until you get to the Carolina's,) . . . We usually leave around 5:00 am on Thursday (1st week of May) and drive until Rocky Mount, NC, arriving around 7:30 pm or so - We usually travel the MA Pike to 84 through CT, pick up the Garden State Parkway and then the NJ Turnpike, (it's 6 hours to the end of the NJT/DE Memorial Bridge from our house) and then we were taking US Rt. 13, diverting off of I-95 in DE and crossing over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (old family ritual) and taking 58 West back to I-95 (Emporia, VA) until my DH explained that it was probably the same distance going straight I95 - it is, but not as scenic. We stay overnight, usually at Hampton Inn in Rocky Mount and leave the next morning around 8:00 am - we arrive in Orlando around 6:00 pm on Friday evening. The way back is always depressing, leaving WDW!! On the way back, we stay in Rocky Mount (I think the hotels get pricier after NC going North) and then it takes 15 hrs the next day to get home. I'm already looking forward to May 2002 (187 days)- we're taking Amtrak this time - takes the same amount of time, not as much as flying and we don't have to drive! We can have a cocktail and relax - we will have to rent a car tho. Happy and safe driving to everyone!

We always drive. We have a popup trailer that we take every October. We have figured that the cost of a trip to Disney is usually around $2,500.00. I buy the passes throughout the year (so I'm not putting down one lump sum at one time), and we book the campsite with our Magic Kingdom club card.

We leave our house (just north of Boston) in the afternoon and drive straigh thru. We're usually set up and ready to hit the parks the next day around 3:00pm.

My parents always drove to Disney and they still DO! But DH and I prefer to fly. We feel its less stress that way and more vacation time at the Mouse House. But some people like my parents love to drive it!

I drove from NY several times, by car and by bus, and from St. L., MO twice. Every other time, I've flown. I work in the aircraft manufacturing industry in Kansas and my DW and I don't even consider driving to FL now. We will drive to K.C., OK. C., or Dallas to save some money, but we can almost always find a fare of $200 or less from Delta. My DD and DS are 11 and 9, and they are great in the car. But we all prefer to save our time for the parks.
I've already flown quite a bit since 9/11 and feel safer now than I ever did before. They've finally gotten serious about the security and I don't think any Americans, pilots or passengers, will ever let something like 9/11 happen again. My opinion: If you are over 350 miles away, the time savings for flying are well worth the slight difference in cost.
(By the way, you do NOT have to be at the airport 2-3 hours early anymore. Last trip, I hit security (35) minutes before my flight and still had time to sit at the gate and watch the world go by before the flight was announced).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter