Is there anything, different you serve at your Christmas dinner

maryann4086

Where did my other 250 posts go, waaaaaaah
Or enjoy eating when you go somewhere for the big meal. I love my moms mashed turnips and onions, and being french canadian, always have meat pies. How bout you? Any unusual traditions? Anything i would love to try hehe?

We don't do anything unusual really for Christmas, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, beans etc. but for Christmas Eve we always have a meat fondue. It's actually the only time during the year that we have a fondue and it's been that way since I was a child. We also always have the same Christmas morning breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, back bacon and homemade coffee cake.

Cdnmickeylover

Pizza the year I forgot to turn the oven on and the turkey was a tad raw.

Uh oh hockey mom!! :eek: :)

My sister usually makes a fabulous tourtiere Christmas Eve, along with veggies and dip, shrimp coctail, that sort of thing, and Christmas morning my DH makes breakfast. For the last 5 years he's done it all, the coffee, toast, bacon, and a wonderful yummy frittata, which he bakes in Christmas tree shaped pans. We sip on our champagne and orange juice while he works. :)

I don't know if this would be considered "different" but for every holiday meal my kids demand sweet potatoes with a butter pecan/brown sugar topping. We always have mashed potatoes as well but if I didn't have those sweet potatoes I'd be in a lot of trouble. It's quite easy and the colour is festive on the table.

We have had seafood meals for Christmas dinner. My husband, daughter, and I all love Lobster but we can not afford it very often. We decided why have turkey that we think is just okay for such a special meal. We splurge and have a scallop and shrimp appetizer and Lobster for the main course. Delicious. (Now we usually have turkey at my Moms.)

The lobster thing is interesting - I'd never heard of such a thing before. My daughter told me just this morning that a classmate of hers is having lobster for Christmas. Of course, this family just built a 7000 sq. ft. house last year, so if they can afford the mortgage payments they can afford lobster, too. Or maybe not. :)

We also do the tourtiere thing Christmas Eve. I make it myself, and we pop it into the oven before the 8:00 carol service at our church. When we get home it's ready.

Also, Christmas morning we make these special sticky buns. It's a butterscotch/walnut mixture in a a bundt ban with the individually frozen (raw) buns. You prepare it the night before, leave the buns to defrost and rise on the counter overnight, and pop it into the oven the next morning. Great way to start Christmas day!

- Mike

turkey thing.( On Christmas Day) I usually get turkey 5 times between Thanksgiving & NewYears and that's 4 times too many. M-i-L always serve turkey on boxing day when we go over. So
this year it's Prime Rib, roast potatoes, yorkshire pudding, honey carrots, beans, Plum pudding and Apple & Cranberry Pie.
Christmas morn tradition is homemade waffles, & bacon.
In years passed I made the stick bun thing too, might just make it again now that you reminded me,Thanks Mike
:earsgirl: :smooth: :tongue:

Our Christmas dinner is pretty traditional, but one vegetable we always have to serve is boiled onions in cream sauce. I'm a huge fan of the Butterball stuffed frozen turkey, ever since my mother discovered it by accident several years ago.

Christmas morning we always have a cheese & bacon strata. It's an egg dish that's a bit like a souffle, but you make it the night before. When everyone gets up we just throw it in the oven and it cooks while we're opening our stockings. We serve that with a fresh fruit platter, english muffins and malt toast.

Have to say I really like the lobster idea, though!:D

Stuffed green peppers! I have a recipe for vegie style too. Yum!

I usually cook a turkey and a duck for Christmas. I LOVE duck, but unfortunately, my hubby & kids won't touch it. :( So, the only time it's really worthwhile to me to make it is Christmas (all my relatives love duck too!) :)

Welcome to the DIS rottn! It's always great to have new people here!

We spend Christmas day with DH's family and she always has a very normal turkey dinner.

Christmas eve we have cheese fondue picnic style. I make a cheddar and beer fondue and serve it with bread and apple slices. We all sit around the coffee table beside the Christmas tree and dip away! I first did this a few years ago when I couldn't find the top of my dining table :rolleyes: and the kids liked it so much, that we do it every year now. If I suggest something else they only want that. Suits me fine though. It's easy and we all love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter