is there anything that will "level" the rides?

CMLDisney12

Mouseketeer
What I mean by this is basically on some kind of a scale, tell me how scary/fast/thrilling a ride is? I'm a super woosie and I don't want to accidentally get on a ride that's going to scare me or make me sick. Most of the rides I have no clue what they are so I'm going in cold and I am scared LOL

Just ask on here, people are pretty honest...but you may get a ton of different opinions. Just remember Mickey wouldn't hurt you.

It is SO variable. I have one child who will do fast thrill rides as long it remained in daylight - but was terrified of slow-moving dark rides with anything remotely creepy - even Snow White or the troll in Norway, until age 8. Same kid handled Mission: Space, no problem, on the very same day she was fiercely ANGRY at me for taking her on the Norway boat.

My other child would do anything slow-moving - Haunted Mansion, whatever, but wanted nothing to do with fast thrill rides - even relatively mild ones Goofy's Barnstormer.

I have taken to showing YouTube videos to my children and asking them if the ride interests them. It's what has worked best for me.

What I mean by this is basically on some kind of a scale, tell me how scary/fast/thrilling a ride is? I'm a super woosie and I don't want to accidentally get on a ride that's going to scare me or make me sick. Most of the rides I have no clue what they are so I'm going in cold and I am scared LOL

When I was in high school physics, we took a field trip to Cedar Point. We rode the roller coasters carrying these devices called accelerometers that (believe it or not) measured our acceleration. Is that what you mean?

When I was in high school physics, we took a field trip to Cedar Point. We rode the roller coasters carrying these devices called accelerometers that (believe it or not) measured our acceleration. Is that what you mean?

That sounds like a fun field trip.

I have to tell you I was the wimpiest only child on the block, only grandchild too. You could not have found a more shyer child than me.

My dad took me to Cape Canaveral at 11 years old on a business trip and took me to the World before they were even dedicated in 1971.

I cried through half of Jungle Cruise and would not even go on Haunted Mansion. Years later, at 32, I finally went again, did Haunted Mansion reluctantly because someone in our party was 5 years old.

That night, I called my dad collect and begged his forgiveness......

Anything with no lap bars means slow, even surfaces.

Other than that, I'd check YouTube. Nothing is super-mega-uber-wild though. Remember, every single ride on property is meant for children to ride.

I think the Unofficial Guide to WDW has great descriptions of each ride, and even rates them for different groups (kids, seniors, etc.). This info should help you decide what to do.

look at youtube. there's videos of just about every ride, first person and other views as well. you can watch them and decide if it's too much or ok.

There's only a couple, Tower of Terror, Rock 'n Roller Coaster, and maybe Splash Mountain that could be considered remotely scary. The rest are all pretty tame. Universal is a different story..

Two recommendations:

- Use the power of the interwebs to find yourself videos of any attraction you are unsure about. There's plenty of onride videos that you can watch to familiarize yourself with the unknown. Take a stop by Martin's videos and you can even learn a bit about the history of each attraction. If you know what each ride does and how it works, you can get over some of the fear.

- Regarding motion sickness, I wouldn't recommend using any medication as they typically can make you drowsy. Instead, get yourself some ginger (gingerale, ginger snaps, or ginger pills). This has proven to be as effective as medication and does a great job offseting motion sickness. I can get motion sickness from some first person video games (typically those with really restrictive fields of view) and if I have a ginger ale before playing, it won't cause me a problem.

I get major motion sickness, so the only ones I can't do are Big Thunder Mtn., Space Mtn., Everest, and Mission Space Orange (green is fine). Oh, and the teacups :lmao: and RNR. Elevators freak me out, so I've never done ToT. But I did go thru the line with the family to see the show. There is a chicken exit before you get on the elevator. :)

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

OP, post what specifically bothers you - is it speed?, darkness? drops? centrifical force (being pushed down or back into your seat)? chili dogs?

If we know what you don't like, we can let you know what do avoid. For example, if you (or your kid) hated pitch dark, we might warn you about the People Mover in MK's Tomorrowland. This is a slow moving, no lap bar, mostly outside tour of Tomorrowland. But, it has a section where it enters and exits the space mountain building that is nearly totally dark. It's a slow, harmless looking ride that could freak out the lack-of-light phobic! Or, if you have a chili dog phobia than skip Stitches Great Escape (also in Tomorrowland). Note, everyone should fear the chili dog!

Anyway, knowing what bothers you will make it easy for us to ensure you have a fun first visit.

has their own thrill comparison for pretty much every ride. I have been using it to compare WDW and Universal rides for my kids.

I am not a coaster person at all. I don't ride very many of the big rides at Cedar Point or Kings Island, or any amusement park.

Disney rides are not bad at all. Keep in mind they have families with kids riding them. So they can't be too intense. The only 2 rides at WDW that have ever bothered me were Star Tours, which made me a little queasy but not ill, and Mission Space (before they had the calm side) which made me so sick I had to sit outside on a bench for 30 minutes before I started to feel better.

I'm not much of a thrill ride person but suprisingly, Tower of Terror did not make me or my 6 yr old queasy at all. We rode it 3 times in a row because it was so much fun. Expedition Everest was not as intense as I thought it would be either. The intensity is not bad at all, and I'm a person who gets car sick easily and motion sickness easily.

For example, if you (or your kid) hated pitch dark, we might warn you about the People Mover in MK's Tomorrowland. This is a slow moving, no lap bar, mostly outside tour of Tomorrowland. But, it has a section where it enters and exits the space mountain building that is nearly totally dark. It's a slow, harmless looking ride that could freak out the lack-of-light phobic!

I think they would have to have an extreme phobia of the dark. The dark part of the ride doesn't last that long. It's like being on a train ride and going through a tunnel. It is a great ride for little kids to nap on. I spent an hour on that ride while my son took a nap. They let me go round and round without getting off. The TTA is one of the most relaxing rides I've experienced.

I think they would have to have an extreme phobia of the dark. The dark part of the ride doesn't last that long. It's like being on a train ride and going through a tunnel. It is a great ride for little kids to nap on. I spent an hour on that ride while my son took a nap. They let me go round and round without getting off. The TTA is one of the most relaxing rides I've experienced.

I agree the TTA is a gentle ride. But even tame rides can cause issues. I had a kid that was freaked out about the dark part. I had another that could handle any thrill ride except where the story of the ride put the rider in "danger" such as Pirates and snow white. My comment was to help the OP in case there were specific issues that even a tame ride might aggravate.

Hopefully the OP will be back soon and give us more details.

JediMasterMatt said:
I can get motion sickness from some first person video games (typically those with really restrictive fields of view) and if I have a ginger ale before playing, it won't cause me a problem.

Ginger ale = magic skyjuice. Also magic gamejuice...I never knew. :)

sorry I didn't get back to this post, thanks for all the replies so far.
Specifically I do not like feeling like I'm going to die or spinning in circles LOL I already know all coasters and ToT are 1000% out of my comfort zone. To put it this way, teacups and tilt o whirls make me nauseous. I enjoy them but my equilibrium does not. Coasters and ToT scare the bejesus out of me so I won't even attempt it. So anything that spins in circles or drops. At our local amusement park I will not go on the log ride etc.
One ride I was unsure of was the Star Wars ride. I couldn't tell if it was a movie type ride where you sit and it feels like you are moving or if it is a ride that drops you and moves you all over.

Is there such a thing as ginger pills? i'd never heard of them, I may have to go look tomorrow. I have scopolomine patches and sea bands to help me through but I'm still going to play it safe.

Gin-Gins candies are great. Or crystallized ginger (without sugar).

OTC Bonine works GREAT!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter