Is there is a SSR refurb in 2019? Who has info?

DisneyTravelers2008

Sally & Clay (Disney Travelers 2008)
Isn’t SSR scheduled for a refurb in 2019? Will it be a full renovation? What kinds of things will be updated (soft goods or what...who know the details..plesae inform us..)?

I wonder when we will see some sketches of the new design?

It is our home resort and I am really excited to see what they will do. I have really liked the look of the recent refurbs at OKW, BW and BC. And, now that Disney Springs has so many updates {shops, music at night, great restaurants, Edisons after 10 pm for 21+, Jock Lindsay’s Bar / Lounge}, I am really excited to think about my home resort getting a great makeover. Being close to Disney Springs is more of a draw for us than it has been before now that our kids are older (15 year old girl loves to shop and son is 21 now....)

The new SVP will probably make some kind of announcement during the association meeting in December.

:earsboy: Bill

I happened to speak to the GM of SSR at the Moonlight Magic event at Epcot last week. I initially apologized because though it is our home resort, we have not stayed there in over 10 years. We prefer the proximity to parks at the other resorts. Also, as a family of 5, -we have limited options if we do not want to do a 2BR point drain (I'm not in favor of packing an extra bed and linens to "fit" in a 1BR.).

Regarding a refurb: New everything...I was told that the carpet will probably all go, and the request has been made for fold down murphy beds in both the studios and one bedrooms. It appeared to me, when we talked that he asked for the moon and is waiting on the bean counters for approval. It also sounded like he has already "seen" what the mock up will look like and was very impressed. I informed him that we are taking a park summer off in 2019 and I was encouraged by what he said - who knows, we may book here in the summer of 2020.

I happened to speak to the GM of SSR at the Moonlight Magic event at Epcot last week. I initially apologized because though it is our home resort, we have not stayed there in over 10 years. We prefer the proximity to parks at the other resorts. Also, as a family of 5, -we have limited options if we do not want to do a 2BR point drain (I'm not in favor of packing an extra bed and linens to "fit" in a 1BR.).

Regarding a refurb: New everything...I was told that the carpet will probably all go, and the request has been made for fold down murphy beds in both the studios and one bedrooms. It appeared to me, when we talked that he asked for the moon and is waiting on the bean counters for approval. It also sounded like he has already "seen" what the mock up will look like and was very impressed. I informed him that we are taking a park summer off in 2019 and I was encouraged by what he said - who knows, we may book here in the summer of 2020.

It will be interesting to see if he gets what he wants.

Murphy's in 1 beds is the big thing for me, it's ludicrous studios have more sleep surfaces than most 1 beds.

The reno was officially announced last year at the member's meeting. It would take place in 2019 with test rooms being built this year.

Still not seen these test rooms...

Murphy's in 1 beds is the big thing for me, it's ludicrous studios have more sleep surfaces than most 1 beds.

I for one agree with you. And since many (at least the points charts I've looked at) are exactly double the points of a studio it doesn't make sense for them only have enough beds to sleep 4 when the smaller accommodations, often connected to it, sleeps 5.

But you get a full kitchen, washer and dryer, dining area, king bed, a living room and in some a 2nd full bath with the 1 BR. (AK-K and BLT) You also have 2x the floor space. I don't see your problem, if you want to pack 4-5 in a studio, have a ball, but some of us would rather have enough space to turn around without one person having to go out on the balcony to make room.

But you get a full kitchen, washer and dryer, dining area, king bed, a living room and in some a 2nd full bath with the 1 BR. (AK-K and BLT) You also have 2x the floor space. I don't see your problem, if you want to pack 4-5 in a studio, have a ball, but some of us would rather have enough space to turn around without one person having to go out on the balcony to make room.
Not sure I get this. I'm not asking to pack 4 into a studio. I'm saying it would be nice to have the fold down bed for 5 sleep surfaces in a much larger 1 bed. I won't even take 5 people, but with a teenage daughter and son, they don't like sharing a sofa bed. I'm struggling to understand why you would object to the pull down Murphy - it doesn't eat into room space and you wouldn't have to use it.

Not sure I get this. I'm not asking to pack 4 into a studio. I'm saying it would be nice to have the fold down bed for 5 sleep surfaces in a much larger 1 bed. I won't even take 5 people, but with a teenage daughter and son, they don't like sharing a sofa bed. I'm struggling to understand why you would object to the pull down Murphy - it doesn't eat into room space and you wouldn't have to use it.

I agree, I love how the 1BRs at VGF and VGC have the Murphy bed. It’s great for our family of 3 with a toddler and there was still plenty of room to move around. We prefer it to the sofa bed especially for little ones (as an adult I also found it quite comfortable but I’m not that tall). Hope they include it in the SSR refurb since it’s one of our home resorts.

this is great to hear... looking forward to seeing what changes are made with the refurn

the murphy fold down beds are a really good start

I really wish they could reconfigure the bathroom door swinging open into the sink area and put an air vent in the bathroom but I doubt that will happen

I'm disappointed in DVC for bending over backwards to change the original capacity limits to the units so those that are too cheep to use enough points to get a unit that is big enough for their party size. It's no wonder that the had to cut the refurb time, too many in a unit just wears everything out faster.

I'm disappointed in DVC for bending over backwards to change the original capacity limits to the units so those that are too cheep to use enough points to get a unit that is big enough for their party size. It's no wonder that the had to cut the refurb time, too many in a unit just wears everything out faster.
Capacity numbers are the same. It just means you don't need a blow up mattress.

When these units were build, a studio and 1 BR were maxed out with 4, not 5. And they were designed to have 2 adults and 2 kids. Now it how many you can squeeze in.

When these units were build, a studio and 1 BR were maxed out with 4, not 5. And they were designed to have 2 adults and 2 kids. Now it how many you can squeeze in.

They put in sleeping surfaces for 4 people but rated the rooms for 5. This is the issue some people have. If the rooms are rated for five, why should they have to bring their own bed and bedding?

They put in sleeping surfaces for 4 people but rated the rooms for 5. This is the issue some people have. If the rooms are rated for five, why should they have to bring their own bed and bedding?
Because if Disney forced families of five to have to rent a two bedroom, buying into DVC would price a lot of families out of joining and they would sell fewer memberships.

If all the small contracts Disney sold to studio-minded VGF buyers (a practice repeated with CCV sales) tell us anything, it’s that DVD looks to sell as many memberships as they can; challenges to members, whether its the additional wear, dearth of studio availability, or the challenges of having to drag in an air mattress are of little concern.

There's no evidence a current 5 sleep surface 1 bed (AKV, OKW, BLT, VGF etc) wears out any quicker than a four sleep surface one. People are still putting 5 in them, just taking their own bedding, blow up bed etc. Some of the resorts even give you a blow up bed if you ask.
I kind of agree that a studio is packed in with 5, and I can see a studio taking a bit more hammer but not a 1 bed (which is the context of this discussion). A 1 bed can take 5 with ease. As pointed out, it's literally double the space over a studio.
Many people are like us, they only have 4 people, it's just that two don't want to share a sofa bed.
So this year for 4 of us, I took a 2 bed at Boardwalk. Overkill really. The kids had their own 'wing'. It was great, but very expensive points wise.

It's reported on another forum they have a concept studio built which is having different permutations of rooms tested currently.
No surprise as these concept room(s) were announced at the last members meeting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter