Is there really no 'Mixing' in Mixology anymore?

Ikaikalani

Tee-Eye-double Guh-err
We're signed up for a mixology class on our upcoming Fantasy cruise. I recently heard that they no longer have you mixing drinks, but that it's more of a tasting where they tell you how the drinks are made. Can any recent cruisers confirm this? Just wondering what to expect. TIA

Yes, This is correct. They will give you the recipes and everything but there is no more mixing at the bar. They actually weren't doing this in some cases before the pandemic too. On our Nov. 2019 cruise everything was pre-made.

I just saw this on the Tracker's vlog and had the same question haha.
So if it's all pre-made, do they space them out with the instructions/explanation between each drink and give you a moment?
From my impression the class isn't very long. But I heard it's 4 or 5 drinks - I definitely can't finish that many, unless the class is 3 hours long maybe!

Others may have had different experiences, but on the last couple of mixology sessions we did there was definitely some mixing. Our last few pre-pandemic cruises were on the Magic and the Dream. No one went behind the bar, but we made a muddled drink and made a layered shot where they had pre-poured the liquors and then showed us how to make the layers. It seems to be there was another one, but it can be hard to remember after mixology! Some were pre-made, but not all.

60 minutes for 4 drinks... serious question: do they let you take them with you if you're not done by then?
I have no idea, but i hope so. If not, maybe they let you hang out in the venue afterwards to finish them at a slower pace.

The drinks are not all full sized. I would say most are maybe half sized and then maybe one full sized.

60 minutes for 4 drinks... serious question: do they let you take them with you if you're not done by then?
In the past, they were... well at least that was my experience on the Wonder in January 2020 when we were "strongly encouraged" to bring those drinks back, including a few extras due to people not showing up... They did not want anything to go to waste!

We were on The Magic last month and did a class.
The drinks were lined up at our seats already when we arrived.
We had a wonderful Key's server lead our class.
He had all the liquor he used on the bar and explained each drink to us and also told us about some of the unusual alcohol he used for the drinks.
He was very fun and knowledgeable.
I didn't mind at all that we couldn't mix them this time.

Here are our drinksFB4F15DB-4942-41DB-ACEB-57C624951C81.jpeg

The first one is a Prosecco with elderflower, second was a mai tai, the third one I can't remember the name of, it was a very strong flavor, it was made with
Caipirinha and something else.
The next one was a lemon drop martini and the final one was a Bailey's shot. That one was my favorite, but I sipped it. LOL

Last edited:
A caipirinha is a drink made with cachaca and looks similar to a mojito. The third drink looks to have something orange added to it.

Yes! I believe that may have been what he said. It was very strong and bitter, not my favorite.

60 minutes

So we did a Sailing on the Fantasy in September (2021) with Mixology and Martini. Both were scheduled for an hour but ended up being only 45 min. mostly because the teacher liked to talk, but he was very interesting.

On our Sailing last month (Nov 21) on the Magic, we did a Martini class only. That was 30 min flat. I liked that format better though because it was still interactive but not as long. Afterwards they let people mill about for 30 min and finish their drinks and the teacher dismissed everyone at 30 min but stuck around to interact with everyone and answer questions which was awesome. He made an Earl Grey Martini with Earl Grey infused Vodka that was out of this WORLD.

I think with the mixing being phased out and the drinks already being pre-made, 30-45 min will become more regular for the classes even though they are booked for the full hour.

On our San Juan to Miami Sailing back in 2018, we only had 6 people out of 20-something show up for the Tequila/Margarita class and we each drank about 10-15 drinks. (Thank goodness they were small and not full size.) Needless to say, getting back to the stateroom was an adventure!

Last edited:
We're signed up for a mixology class on our upcoming Fantasy cruise. I recently heard that they no longer have you mixing drinks, but that it's more of a tasting where they tell you how the drinks are made. Can any recent cruisers confirm this? Just wondering what to expect. TIA

The Trackers just posted a cruise vlog (The Fantasy I think) from a few weeks ago and it was demonstration only. It was $25 and you got 5 (half sized) drinks so not a bad price if you're only interested in drinking new things but if you really want the experience it might not be worth it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter