Is this a good price?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
Hey guys!
I am new to Canada (her on DH's work permit from the States), and am still having a bit of sticker shock when it comes to airfare! So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm getting a good price, or if I should wait and see if there will be better deals?

I can get the four of us from LAX to Edmonton on WestJet for $1,507. That's two adults, one child and one lap infant. Those are direct flights at great times of day as well, so there is that to consider. Is roughly $500 per ticket a good deal?

I'm used to being able to fly on JetBlue and get my whole family to SoCal for around $500, so I have no idea what is a good price up here.

KateDrake said:
Hey guys!
I am new to Canada (her on DH's work permit from the States), and am still having a bit of sticker shock when it comes to airfare! So I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'm getting a good price, or if I should wait and see if there will be better deals?

I can get the four of us from LAX to Edmonton on WestJet for $1,507. That's two adults, one child and one lap infant. Those are direct flights at great times of day as well, so there is that to consider. Is roughly $500 per ticket a good deal?

I'm used to being able to fly on JetBlue and get my whole family to SoCal for around $500, so I have no idea what is a good price up here.

I would say it's an 'OK' price. You should be able to get flights around $350-400 pp if you keep looking.

And those are Canadian dollars so you can find some comfort in that. Like the pp said, you may do better. :)

Just a FYI, Edmonton to Orlando is a special fare route on United and you can typically get return fares for under $500 CAN. Just in case you ever need a FL Disney fix. ;)

oh you pooor child you must hate your husband (taking you from the sun of Cali to the frozen tundra of Alberta) --- I am surprised those tickets aren't the other way around ;)
:rotfl2:

oh you pooor child you must hate your husband (taking you from the sun of Cali to the frozen tundra of Alberta) --- I am surprised those tickets aren't the other way around ;)
:rotfl2:

I just realized I had my airports backwards, it's YEG to LAX! And we were from the snowy mountains of Utah, so Edmonton winter isn't so bad ;) But it sure was cheaper to fly to California from there!

I will keep checking then and see if I can find something better. These flights say they are $370 per person, but the total is about $1,500 (CAN) after all the taxes and fees are added in. So it could still go lower than that?

I will file the Florida info away too! It may end up being cheaper to go there!

$370 is pretty good! It's the taxes that hurt the most! You may get it a bit cheaper but if you are set on dates depending on how far you are out from going, I'd probably book it.

WJ has a promotion on that includes YEG to LAX, appears to be about $414 pp

"Book by: March 13, 2014 (11:59 p.m. MT)*
For Canadian destinations, travel from: April 1 to 16, 2014 and April 23 to May 31, 2014
For U.S., Mexico and Caribbean destinations, travel from: April 27 to June 25, 2014
Blackout dates from: May 15 to May 20, 2014"

If you have not, sign up for the West Jet emails. Many of their specials require a Promo Code and a coupon code. You can generally get these from their "Specials" tab but they do come in the emails.

FYI
I usually target $400 for LAX (or SNA, LGB) and $500 for MCO. The WJ fares are usually higher than the US carriers. For DL, depending on the fare, flying into SNA or LGB can make more sense for us even with the connection but we are not traveling with small children. I find the smaller airports and shorter transfers less stressful than the LAX to DL transfer.

WJ has a promotion on that includes YEG to LAX, appears to be about $414 pp

"Book by: March 13, 2014 (11:59 p.m. MT)*
For Canadian destinations, travel from: April 1 to 16, 2014 and April 23 to May 31, 2014
For U.S., Mexico and Caribbean destinations, travel from: April 27 to June 25, 2014
Blackout dates from: May 15 to May 20, 2014"

If you have not, sign up for the West Jet emails. Many of their specials require a Promo Code and a coupon code. You can generally get these from their "Specials" tab but they do come in the emails.

FYI
I usually target $400 for LAX (or SNA, LGB) and $500 for MCO. The WJ fares are usually higher than the US carriers. For DL, depending on the fare, flying into SNA or LGB can make more sense for us even with the connection but we are not traveling with small children. I find the smaller airports and shorter transfers less stressful than the LAX to DL transfer.

Great info! Thank you! Those dates don't work for us unfortunately, but I will certainly sign up for the emails!

I actually prefer to fly into SNA or LGB, I HATE LAX. But for some reason that usually seems to be the cheapest option, even with the US carriers. Do you usually get the best price by booking directly through the airline, or through a site like Kayak?

I did price out flights to MCO during our timeframe, and it was actually about $250 cheaper for the whole family! Add that to the fact that it should be during free dining, and we may end up at WDW instead. That's certainly a first, I never thought a WDW vacation would be cheaper!

That is so backwards lol. I have been tracking flights for the past 6 months, with daily alerts through kayak (Saskatoon not Edmonton so even more expensive) and not once has it ever been cheaper to fly MCO than LAX. S of yesterday it was $595 to MCO and $386 to LAX. Neither direct flights. For reference, the LAX flights currently offered for the $380 price are the cheapest by a lot in past 6 months. Oh, should mention our trip is booked for October.

You can download an app called sky scanner to your phone.
It gives you best prices on all flights at any given time. I've found it really useful

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter