Is this against the rules or considered bad ettiquette? (Sci-Fi Dine in question)

Go, enjoy, tip well. If WDW wanted to force you to get a meal, believe me, they would--see all the prix fixe deals.
I agree with the posters who think it's rude to make a dinner reservation for milkshakes. Will you be seated as a walk up? If not you're probably taking a table from a guest who wants to dine.

You make a great point. Disney's solution, assuming too many rude guests tie up tables, is to switch to price fixed. Blame guests, not Disney, if the option to share, just have appetizers or skip dessert disappears.

Stuff like that is why so many meals have switched to prix fixe.
Disney's solution, assuming too many rude guests tie up tables, is to switch to price fixed. Blame guests, not Disney, if the option to share, just have appetizers or skip dessert disappears.

I think that's an over generalization there.

There's a difference in putting something as prixe fixe like BOG where people were getting PPO's and getting cupcakes, etc which was fine by Disney until they were seeing it cut into their bottom line and a person booking an ADR for a place that has dessert as a high enough priority that people will book just for that. Sci Fi is def. getting enough business otherwise, it's not a situation where there's an advantage to be had there. Getting shakes or hot fudge sundae or the other desserts is in "theme" anyhow with the 50s vibe.

I'm not actually disagreeing with the premise that Disney adjusts things as they see things affecting their bottom line, most recently was discussing this in-depth on a thread about an ADR cancellation fee when the adjustment was made within 2 hours of the ADR time but it really isn't fair nor accurate to apply that to literally everything.

I agree with the posters who think it's rude to make a dinner reservation for milkshakes. Will you be seated as a walk up? If not you're probably taking a table from a guest who wants to dine.

You make a great point. Disney's solution, assuming too many rude guests tie up tables, is to switch to price fixed. Blame guests, not Disney, if the option to share, just have appetizers or skip dessert disappears.
So you have to eat as though a restaurant is prix fixe because if you don't Disney will make it prix fixe? That doesn't make sense.

OP asked if making a reservation for just milkshakes is allowed or is considered bad etiquette.

It's allowed but many of us think its bad etiquette
Granted it's at a different price point but I highly doubt you could apply this all encompassing viewpoint that some exhibit to Toothsome over at Universal for example where absolutely people book reservations for just the milkshakes or other desserts. Funny enough my husband and I have been twice but have yet to get milkshakes but we know people who only go for that (and many people do).

Did you try splitting into 2 parties of 4 instead to get a better time? The layout is not really for large parties and you are basically left to talking to whoever you are sitting next to anyway. Splitting the reservations here will be less noticeable than at other restaurants. I'd split it into 2 ADRs, check-in together and request you sit close together (but don't expect to without a wait if they can accommodate).

There are some restaurants that will not have prime time reservations for parties of 8. From my experience some restaurants only offer off peak times to parties that big (either before the dinner rush between 3-5 or after the dinner rush after 8).

As someone who stresses over ADRs, I do see your point, believe me. But I'm also someone with health issues that sometimes make a full meal impossible, given what's offered. I try to choose accordingly, but sometimes I do want to be able to enjoy an experience like Sci-Fi and not order an entire meal I can't eat. Obviously, the prix fixe meals are usually not an option for me. But I do see what you're saying, and maybe I'm trying to rationalize the OP's move because of my own guilt over having to go to a place like Brown Derby and get an appetizer. I do always feel silly, and I do tip well, but i also want the experience. I didn't really think about the first part of their post about already having had dinner elsewhere.

So you have to eat as though a restaurant is prix fixe because if you don't Disney will make it prix fixe? That doesn't make sense.
JMO Guests who make a dinner reservation should be planning on dinner. You don't have to order as if it's price fixed. Share entres. Order a bunch of appetizers for the table.

If too many guests book planning on dessert only might result in Disney changing to price fixed.

JMO but dessert only customers should be walk ups.

Last edited:
I think it's fine, as long as you're not just sitting there watching the shows for 90 minutes while you nurse a milkshake. Servers should be happy about it; they get to turn over more tables since you'll be in and out very quickly with just milkshakes.

I vote for splitting your party into groups of 4 and 4 or 5 and 3 to see if you can get a better time. If you can't, I personally think that getting milkshakes there and tipping well is perfectly fine. To me it is the same as people who go to Beaches and Cream for dessert or Cheesecake Factory...it is expected at places like that. I wouldn't worry about it. :-)

As a former server, I think it's fine to do this IF, BUT ONLY IF, YOU TIP AS THOUGH YOU HAD EATEN DINNER. Probably a 100% tip or so.

Of course, it's not against the rules to just order shakes and tip only on that. Indeed, it's not against the rules to eat a giant dinner with tons of alcohol and not tip at all. (Though, with a large party, a mandatory tip might be included.)

But it's a punch in the gut to a server trying to make ends meet to take up two tables for a long time and tip only pocket change. This is how they make their living.

Thanks everyone for the *spirited* discussion! lol

To those who've asked, I did try splitting the party up into 4 and 4 to get a better time and it did not help. We are staying off-site, and its a Sunday in August, and apparently the people staying on-site had booked all that up before I got a crack at it. As I said, I will try changing the time, and maybe splitting the party up, when the date comes closer. This was one idea I had to get the experience of Sci-fi for a few minutes instead of a full dinner. We've never been there before and it seems like such a cool place to me.

I’ve had servers that I could tell were annoyed at Disney when I went only for desert at some places, since their tips will be lower than when you get more food and meals

I usually give a much higher tip in that situation of around 28-30 percent.

OP lots of discussion but ultimately..what works for your party? Sci Fi is a cool experience and sadly, walk ups result in sitting in the picnic tables at the back as opposed to the cool cars, if available ...so if your party wants to experience it...order what they want, the food is not stellar....pun intended...but go for it! (But do tip well, the servers will be happier)

Not sure if it matters to the OP, but you will not sit together as a party of 8. You might be close to each other, but that's about it.

If it was me, I'd keep checking for a different reservation time, especially the day before your reservation.
They'll be seated at a big table near the back. It's still a "car", but the seats are like a regular table

Tipping well will take care of that server and I highly suggest it. But it won't take care of Disney. This is why many places are fixed price now.

With our party of 4-6 people I usually just share one dish with my husband and it makes me think if that could contribute to fixed price as well?

It is allowed and my view point is it's not bad etiquette. As just having desserts, drinks and/or appetizers only, you should be in and out faster than anyone having a full meal, so you can tip as you would and turn the table that much faster. I was a server for a lot of my college years and the people who snack, share meals never bothered me, it's the bad tippers and always displeased guests that have the bad reputation. Some people who share and/or only order apps/dessert will tip more since they took the table up with less $$ spent, but of course, it's not required.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter