Is this against the rules or considered bad ettiquette? (Sci-Fi Dine in question)

This is a super interesting thread to me, since on our last trip we did just dessert at San Angel. We had a reservation around 4:30 and had planned just to go in for the GIANT pyramid dessert for the 50th.

I felt like that dessert was essentially designed to be a meal, and marketed so people would go in just for that in particular. Definitely got me into that trap.

This is a super interesting thread to me, since on our last trip we did just dessert at San Angel. We had a reservation around 4:30 and had planned just to go in for the GIANT pyramid dessert for the 50th.

I felt like that dessert was essentially designed to be a meal, and marketed so people would go in just for that in particular. Definitely got me into that trap.
That's actually exactly what one of our DISer friends wanted desperately at La Hacienda de San Angel (that also had it aside from San Angel Inn) last year so while we got food she got the pyramid. She would have gone to either of those places just for that dessert.

This is a super interesting read, with such varying opinions. We aren't particularly big eaters and often share a meal, or get appetizers rather than big plates at restaurants-never occurred to me it wasn't 'allowed'. We usually order a bottle of wine so our bill is comparable to others, but I think at the end of the day you do not have an obligation to order a full-meal, and what is important is that you are respectful of your server (don't linger once you are finished, tell them ahead of time, and tip well). If you just order milkshakes, you could be in and out in like 20 minutes and they could turn around the table. I think restaurant bills are incredibly variable-we are a family of 7, and when all kids were little, that was five kids meals (compare that bill to seven adults at the same size table all ordering full meals, etc.), there is no minimum spend, but we always tip well as we recognize that table with all those kids is a lot of work for a lower bill (which is perceived as lower tip).

There will always be people waiting to tell you that you should have done something differently. Just be kind and generous and it will all work itself out.

Unfortunately some of the people worried about etiquette in the restaurant are the same people that tramp around the parks like they’re the only ones that matter so…

Curious……what other places offer a prix fixe meal? We have California Grill booked a few times this summer. It’s one of our favourites :flower:

I think you should go for it and like others have said-just tip very well. People saying this is wrong and saying it’s not respectful to Disney is a little over the top imo. This is supposed to be a VACATION. You are allowed to eat what you want. Even if that’s just dessert. And you never know-by that time, you might have a couple of people in your party who want some food again and might order some apps too but either way it should be your choice.

Curious……what other places offer a prix fixe meal? We have California Grill booked a few times this summer. It’s one of our favourites :flower:
Be Our Guest, Sebastian's at CBR, Woody's BBQ at DHS come to mind. I'm sure there are more.

i personally see no problem with it as just going for something quick wont take up too much time. hubby and i are both gastric sleeve patients so we don't eat a lot. we mainly stick with quick services but occasionally like to do a sit down meal to get out of the heat for a bit. we either only get appetizers or we share an entrée. of course we tip bigger but should we not be allowed to sit down for food just because we aren't ordering 2 full meals that neither of us will finish? i say go for it enjoy your milkshakes and tip well.

I don’t see the reasoning in giving such a huge tip since they aren’t ordering food and won’t be there very long. Getting milkshakes will take 20-30 minutes. Not 60-90 minutes. The server will spend very little time. Unless you plan on lingering and sitting for 60-90 minutes without ordering anything else then I would tip above and beyond since you are taking up a table someone could be using.

I would tip 20-25% and not feel guilty about it.

Cinderellas Royal Table, Topolino’s breakfast, Liberty Tree Tavern, Artist Point & Monsieur Paul.

I also don’t think Disney servers working at a restaurant that is almost always booked are hurting for cash at all. They make a good living on their tips especially at a restaurant like Sci Fi. I remember reading several threads about this with real life posts.

One table having only milkshakes isn’t going to break the bank.

I also don’t think Disney servers working at a restaurant that is almost always booked are hurting for cash at all. They make a good living on their tips especially at a restaurant like Sci Fi. I remember reading several threads about this with real life posts.

One table having only milkshakes isn’t going to break the bank.

Of course!

Until "everyone" starts doing it, then it becomes a thing and a problem and the restaurant becomes prixe fixed like Space 220 or Roundup Rodeo to prevent the people from ordering a milkshake just to peak at the ambiance.

Of course!

Until "everyone" starts doing it, then it becomes a thing and a problem and the restaurant becomes prixe fixed like Space 220 or Roundup Rodeo to prevent the people from ordering a milkshake just to peak at the ambiance.
Space 220 isn't owned by Disney, they also have the lounge and bar area where you can do either the of the options.

I find the conversation about prix fixe menus fascinating. From a business side, Disney uses it to A) maximize dollar profitability and B) increase predictability as to what they’re going to make.

This is true whether you go in and order a coffee or you order every item on the menu. To think individuals have an effect on whether Disney chooses to have a prix fixe menu is massively overstating the power individual consumers have, even if it does become a trend.

Of course!

I understand the theory. But Sci Fi has been around since we started going to WDW in 1993. People have always gone in for a milkshake or ice cream sundae to check the atmosphere & get out of the heat. It’s not quite the same as the new “must do” restaurants. If they start making all sit down restaurants prix fixe, we’re all in trouble.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter