• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this debit card fraud? And what do they have to gain?

I don't have a debit/credit card. I don't know if most banks will do this anymore, but mine is ONLY debit. It doesn't have Visa/Mastercard logo on it or anything.

DH and I have 2 accounts with the same bank, therefore we each have 2 debit cards, one for each account. One of my debit cards was breached 3x in a year. The first time, someone in Georgia (we lived in Massachusetts) tried to use it for a $300 charge at Walmart, then $100 at the same Walmart. Both charges were denied. However, the next day, at the same Walmart, they managed to get a $50 charge to go through. The bank notified us a week later; they cancelled that card, and we had to fill out paperwork to get our money back.

The second time, the bank caught it and denied all charges before anything went through. Still had to get a new card, however.

The third time, someone in Utah bought 2 tickets on Alaska Airlines for a total of $730. We were the ones who discovered it by going online and balancing our checkbook. Back we go to the bank to fill out the paperwork, cancel the card, get our money back, etc.

The weird part was...I NEVER USED THOSE CARDS. For anything. Every single time, they were kept in a tin box in my nightstand drawer. The PINs were not written down ANYWHERE. So we're still perplexed as to what happened.

That's actually not true. If your card is backed by visa/Mastercard you are just as protected with your debit as credit. We have had both CC and debit fraud and Chase will freeze the account immediately if suspicious activity occurs. We were also reimbursed for everything. We also only keep so much on our debit account at a time and keep the rest in a savings and I can literally transfer money with my phone in seconds if I want to make a larger purchase with my debit. I will use CC, but we prefer debit. If used smartly and with a visa logo you are protected.

This article has some good info.

http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/the-basics-of-your-debit-card/
How long did it take you to get reimbursed for everything? It took me almost 4 weeks. Meanwhile my account was frozen and it screwed up my automatic deposits and withdrawls. And yes, my debit card had a visa logo.

My debit card is through Comerica bank. We have had our number stolen 3 times in the last 2.5 years. All three times I caught them right away because I check my account online at least twice a day. Each time it took only 3-5 days to get the money back in my checking account and about 7 days for them to get my new card to me. After the first time they didn't even make me fill out any paperwork.

My debit card number was used to buy a $50 gift card at the website of a fast food restaurant a few weeks ago. I called the bank and cancelled the card immediately and called the restaurant corporate office. The restaurant folks were SO helpful - they immediately voided the gift card and sent me the order confirmation, which included the thief's cell # (don't know if it's legit or not), the receipt, and the thief's email address (the card was emailed to him). The optimistic side of me hoped that it was just an honest mistake and that the perp's card was similar, but the receipt he received has my name and home address on it. I filled out a police report and gave the records to an officer, who turned it over to the white collar crime department. I told the detective I know it's a relatively small incident, but he said "Stealing is stealing. Do you want to prosecute?" You bet I do. He has already contacted the restaurant office and gotten more information.

About ten years ago, my debit card number was used to buy cell phone minutes for a pay-as-you-go company in California (B**st), and when I called them and asked for the information so I could turn it over to the police (I had a very strong idea where the card # was stolen a few hours before), the rep told me, "We are not going to give you that information. Half our business is done with stolen credit cards and debit cards, and that would cause a lot of problems for us." Seriously. He told me they would refund the money, but it would take 10-14 days. I told him it took them less than 30 seconds to fraudulently take my money, and I would be more than generous and give them 48 hours, which would be noted in my complaint to the BBB in California. They refunded the money within the 48 hours, but I'm still mad that they knowingly use stolen cards for their revenue.

Edited to add: the restaurant refunded the money within 2 days. My bank (Wells Fargo) did a temporary credit back to my account pending the refund within 1 day.

I was always temporarily reimbursed as soon as the charges actually posted and were cancelled. For the big charges there was an investigation and I would have been responsible if it was proven to not be fraudulent(so I assume I'd have to pay the pay the bank bank). And that included two seperate occasions that were over $1000.

DH and I have 2 accounts with the same bank, therefore we each have 2 debit cards, one for each account. One of my debit cards was breached 3x in a year. The first time, someone in Georgia (we lived in Massachusetts) tried to use it for a $300 charge at Walmart, then $100 at the same Walmart. Both charges were denied. However, the next day, at the same Walmart, they managed to get a $50 charge to go through. The bank notified us a week later; they cancelled that card, and we had to fill out paperwork to get our money back.

The second time, the bank caught it and denied all charges before anything went through. Still had to get a new card, however.

The third time, someone in Utah bought 2 tickets on Alaska Airlines for a total of $730. We were the ones who discovered it by going online and balancing our checkbook. Back we go to the bank to fill out the paperwork, cancel the card, get our money back, etc.

The weird part was...I NEVER USED THOSE CARDS. For anything. Every single time, they were kept in a tin box in my nightstand drawer. The PINs were not written down ANYWHERE. So we're still perplexed as to what happened.

If they get hold of even one legit number, they start using the first set of numbers on the card with other combinations as the second set hoping to get a match with another legit card number.

How long did it take you to get reimbursed for everything? It took me almost 4 weeks. Meanwhile my account was frozen and it screwed up my automatic deposits and withdrawls. And yes, my debit card had a visa logo.

2 weeks and it did not impact any automatic payments or check deposits. We got a new card and did not need to close any accounts. We only keep in the account what pays bills and typical spending. Our debit is attached to our checking we have a savings and a money market attached that we can easily transfer funds to and from. I can literally transfer money in 30 seconds if I am out and decide to make an unplanned large purchase.

You can put a daily limit on your debit card. I would advise getting a new card and doing that.

Cancel that card and stop using your debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawls. Forever. Always use a credit card.

Trust me, you do not want your entire checking account cleaned out. You'll eventually get your money back, but it will take weeks.
f

I guess that depends on what bank you use, I had someone use my debit card for a bunch of reloads on Starbucks cards (hundreds worth) and some other things and by the next day that money was credited back to my account. I have an alert now on my debit card- any transaction over 50.00 and I get an immediate text telling me about it. And let me tell you it is instant, it gets me every time lol, I will pay for something and my phone goes off and I look to see who is texting me every time when by now you would think I would know I just spent more than 50 bucks and it's the bank!

I have a debit card with a Visa logo where I only keep a small balance. I use this for general shopping and always go inside the store to pay for gas too. You have to watch for those pump skimmers.

Welll....anyone on here that knows me knows I deal with debit/credit card fraud for my company.
The stories I could tell. :scared1:
Anyway, my debit card was compromised in January, the week before DD and me were headed to Florida (Downtown Disney to be exact). I found out because I was checking my email and saw a "Thank you for your Square purchase." I had paid through Square once before and apparently opted to get my receipts emailed to me. So I opened the receipt. Had a guy's name, a purchase time of 11 am (I was sitting at my desk working, not shopping lol), his signature and phone # on the receipt. I called my bank (Wells Fargo) and they investigated, found another transaction that had been declined (online order to be shipped to someone's house, zip code didn't match the card info), closed my card out. I received a temporary credit right away, got the actual funds back in my account in less than a week. In the meantime, I had to get a new debit card and tell them I was actually going to be in Florida the next week. Funny thing...in May, when I was driving my mom home from Florida, we drove through the town where the people lived that had used my card #. SMH.

But believe it or not, most of the fraud originates in Eastern Europe. The #s are computer-generated, put onto a card, sold in batches, filtered down to "mules", etc. And if someone is asked for ID along with the credit card, they will more than likely have a fake driver's license to go with it. It truly boggles the mind.

Last edited:
Cancel that card and stop using your debit card for anything other than ATM withdrawls. Forever. Always use a credit card.

Trust me, you do not want your entire checking account cleaned out. You'll eventually get your money back, but it will take weeks.

I keep hearing this, but I have never had my bank account inconvenienced by card fraud. granted, i use a credit union, but they call me, we go over every single transaction and my money has always been replaced by the next day.

I keep hearing this, but I have never had my bank account inconvenienced by card fraud. granted, i use a credit union, but they call me, we go over every single transaction and my money has always been replaced by the next day.
Consider yourself lucky. FWIW, my problem was with a credit union.

Fortunately, I haven't had a single issue since I switched to using a credit card. I also end up with about $500 worth of Amazon points a year.

I've had more issues with My Disney Chase Visa than any other card we've ever had! About once a year, my card is compromised, charges have been attempted in Switzerland, Ireland, Thailand, and last year it was Idaho. Chase is great - denies the charges, shuts down the account and sends me new cards. It's just a hassle and a bit nerve jangling.

I've been with me credit union for 18 years and have only had an issue once...both my card and my dh's card were compromised in the same week (2 different numbers). They caught it, we had to go sign some paperwork at the branch, and funds were deposited within3business days. Yes, it is a big pain, but we have been using a debit card exclusively for over15 years. I'm not going back to carrying cash, writing a check, or paying off a credit card monthly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter