• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this even feasible?

EmJ

DIS Veteran
Please forgive this most newbie of newbie posts. I have been planning a Universal Studios vacation, but decided to scrap it as I think my son is still too young (he will be 5 at the time of travel). Instead I’m contemplating a trip to Disneyland but I’ve never been there. In your opinion, is 3 park days reasonable? One day would be California Adventure, one day would be Disneyland *except for* Galaxy Edge, and one day would be Galaxy Edge and swimming at the resort.

Is this even feasible or are we selling ourselves way short? I know I’ve got a lot of work to do to learn about Disney, so if this is a terrible idea, better to know now before I sink a bunch of time into planning. TIA!

ETA: We will be traveling the first week in March, so not off season exactly, but before spring break/Easter season begins.

Galaxy's Edge is still a huge unknown, so it's hard to predict (especially approximately a year from now).

So ignoring Galaxy's Edge:
In any case, Disneyland park itself, you really need at minimum two full days in order to really not be rushed and enjoy it. DCA (California Adventure) could probably be done in one day.

Depending on the stamina of your 5 year old, I would probably recommend making it 4 or 5 days, and have at least one rest day to relax in between the other days. But you know the limits of your child better! It can be very sad when your child is unhappy on a disneyland trip because they are exhausted.

I've done the majority of DL and DCA in 3 days, but I know the park well enough, and our group was pretty tired at the end of it.

Since you WILL be there when Galaxy's Edge is open, you may want to leave yourself some addiitonal time.

Reactions: EmJ
I think you're good, unless Galaxy's Edge is really important to you. 3 Days is like a perfect DLR trip to me, though you wouldn't see "everything" of course. Since you will only spend a few hours at SWGE most likely, then I would spend more of that day also in the park. If you want pool time, maybe consider an extra day with no park ticket. Anyway, I bet you'll have a ton of fun!

I think you'll be happy with the change to DL. I took my kids to universal when they were about that age and it just wasn't the same as DL. Not as kid friendly in my opinion...granted that's been 8-9 years ago, so it's probably changed a ton.
That being said, we used to always do 3 park days. Would I rather have more...of course, but 3 is definitely feasible especially if your 5 year old is not into riding the "big" rides over and over. Character meets can take up some time so be prepared for that if it's something he is interested in. Boys may be different but we spent a lot of time visiting princesses and fairies! I would make a point to be at Mickey/Minnie houses as soon as they open (1hr after regular park opening). Being 5 he'll probably love Carsland and maybe Marvel characters???
I agree that Galaxy's Edge shouldn't take a whole day, so you'll have time to go back and catch things you missed the first day if you choose to.

Have a wonderful trip...making memories of a lifetime! Five is such a fun age for Disney Magic!

Please forgive this most newbie of newbie posts. I have been planning a Universal Studios vacation, but decided to scrap it as I think my son is still too young (he will be 5 at the time of travel). Instead I’m contemplating a trip to Disneyland but I’ve never been there. In your opinion, is 3 park days reasonable? One day would be California Adventure, one day would be Disneyland *except for* Galaxy Edge, and one day would be Galaxy Edge and swimming at the resort.

Is this even feasible or are we selling ourselves way short? I know I’ve got a lot of work to do to learn about Disney, so if this is a terrible idea, better to know now before I sink a bunch of time into planning. TIA!

ETA: We will be traveling the first week in March, so not off season exactly, but before spring break/Easter season begins.

3 days is plenty. Especially a year from now. With a child under 10 i'd say keep expectations low. I've been in groups with kids at that similar age. I'm sure you already know that they can have crazy burst of energy where it seems like they'll be able to go for 48 hours straight, and then all of a sudden crash really hard out of nowhere. I'd maybe ask other parents where good places are to rest with kids. Spots with a good amount of shade and if possible a good view of some fun stuff going on so your child isn't bored out of their minds while resting.

DL and DCA can be a daunting time with kids even for vets of the parks. I think if you go into your first trip with an open mind and understanding of it's all about your child you'll be fine.

You will be fine with 3 days. Truthfully, you will likely leave wishing you had one or maybe two more days. But you will not feel like you really missed out badly on anything important.

:wizard:

3 days is fine. But if he’ll only be 5 I wouldn’t bother with SWGE. At that age the rides & immersiveness of the land might very easily have scared the living daylights out of me, but I was a scaredy cat as a kid & I know all kids are different. And he might not be tall enough for some of the big rides like SWGE will have. Toontown & Fantasyland will be what that trip is all about & it will be much more fun than Universal!

If it’s 3 days or not at all, go 3 days. I like 5 day trips the most, but I’ve gone for only 2 days (1 day for each park) multiple times and it was amazing. Do it. Also keep in mind you won’t have to spend the whole 10-16 hour day (depending on park hours when you go) doing GE.

Thanks everyone! SWGE would be very important to my DH and, to a lesser extent, my son, but not to me. So if I need to stay with the boy while DH rides, that is more than okay. As to the other rides, he is a fairly adventurous kid, but as it’snour first time, I don’t think there is anything we would necessarily aspire to do more than once and if he’s too short or too scared for something, we would be fine skipping it. Princesses are a no, Marvel characters a huge yes!

Would it make a difference if we stayed onsite for the extra magic hour and easy access to the hotel for rest?

Last edited:
Another question. How far in advance do I need to commit and start booking? I’ve heard scary things about Disney World and although I’m the planet’s most Type A human (think Hermione Grainger crossed with Monica Geller) and planning is kind of my jam, the amount of everything I need to learn about and book in advance is intimidating. Do I have time to wait until the summer and learn more about SWGE once it opens or no?

Another question. How far in advance do I need to commit and start booking? I’ve heard scary things about Disney World and although I’m the planet’s most Type A human (think Hermione Grainger crossed with Monica Geller) and planning is kind of my jam, the amount of everything I need to learn about and book in advance is intimidating. Do I have time to wait until the summer and learn more about SWGE once it opens or no?
I am a Type A planner as well, much to my family's dismay. It does not require as much planning as Disney World, especially with the introduction of Maxpass. I think you should just figure out now what you want to try to see that is important to you- dining and entertainment wise. Dining reservations can be made 60 days in advance and entertainment (parades & nighttime shows) can be planned to some extent, if you're interested in dining packages or the dessert parties. If you're planning to stay onsite at one of the 3 Disney hotels, you may want to look at options as soon as they become available, but you should be safe to wait until summer to see the trends.
It is easier to stay on site if you're interested in resting during the day, but there are other hotels within walking distance. EMH is useful but many people have survived their trip without it.

I am a Type A planner as well, much to my family's dismay. It does not require as much planning as Disney World, especially with the introduction of Maxpass. I think you should just figure out now what you want to try to see that is important to you- dining and entertainment wise. Dining reservations can be made 60 days in advance and entertainment (parades & nighttime shows) can be planned to some extent, if you're interested in dining packages or the dessert parties. If you're planning to stay onsite at one of the 3 Disney hotels, you may want to look at options as soon as they become available, but you should be safe to wait until summer to see the trends.
It is easier to stay on site if you're interested in resting during the day, but there are other hotels within walking distance. EMH is useful but many people have survived their trip without it.
Thank you! Can you tell me what EMH stands for? I'm still getting my Disney abbreviation legs. I started reading a bit about Maxpass; it seems affordable enough we would probably get it for the whole trip. I would definitely spring for one character dinner; should dining reservations be made for all other table service restaurants as well? Dessert parties probably not... lord knows my kid will be pumped plenty full of treats during our stay :)

EMH = Extra Magic Hour. I got it!

Thank you! Can you tell me what EMH stands for? I'm still getting my Disney abbreviation legs. I started reading a bit about Maxpass; it seems affordable enough we would probably get it for the whole trip. I would definitely spring for one character dinner; should dining reservations be made for all other table service restaurants as well? Dessert parties probably not... lord knows my kid will be pumped plenty full of treats during our stay :)

See abbreviations list in my signature and one of the first lines in the Newbies sticky thread.

And he might not be tall enough for some of the big rides like SWGE will have. Toontown & Fantasyland will be what that trip is all about & it will be much more fun than Universal!
Just to be clear, RotR is going to be 40" and Smuggler's Run will be 38", so the majority of all 5yo will make the height requirements. My grandkids are larger than average and made 40" by 3. My nephew, who was an itty bitty thing made 40" just after his 4th birthday.

And at 5, some kids are really into the coasters. I had to talk my granddaughter into riding the stuff in Fantasyland. At 5, she was busy putting in requests for 10 rides on Screamin' and Goofy's Sky Skool. (Goofy's wasn't busy one night and the woman at the FP line didn't take her or her "girl squad" (aka teen sitters) FP, and let them keep circling so they rode 10-12 times in a row.)

You should make reservations as soon as you know if you're at all interested in any table service or character dining. Just keep in mind that they do charge you a cancellation fee per person if you don't show up. But as a planner, I'm sure you'll have it all worked out!

Just to be clear, RotR is going to be 40" and Smuggler's Run will be 38", so the majority of all 5yo will make the height requirements. My grandkids are larger than average and made 40" by 3. My nephew, who was an itty bitty thing made 40" just after his 4th birthday.

And at 5, some kids are really into the coasters. I had to talk my granddaughter into riding the stuff in Fantasyland. At 5, she was busy putting in requests for 10 rides on Screamin' and Goofy's Sky Skool. (Goofy's wasn't busy one night and the woman at the FP line didn't take her or her "girl squad" (aka teen sitters) FP, and let them keep circling so they rode 10-12 times in a row.)

I know this isnt part of the thread, but does anyone else other then me, think that as an adult Goofy's Sky Skool is the scariest ride at DL and DCA? Especially when you are riding with another adult?

I know this isnt part of the thread, but does anyone else other then me, think that as an adult Goofy's Sky Skool is the scariest ride at DL and DCA? Especially when you are riding with another adult?
In my head the whole time I'm thinking, "Crap, sharp turn, WE ARE GOING OVER THE EDGE FOR SURE THIS TIME! Oh, phew, we made it. Crap, sharp turn, WE ARE REALLY ACTUALLY GOING OVER THE EDGE THIS TIME! Okay, we made it--we didn't fall--OH CRAP, IT'S THE TURN THAT WILL LAUNCH US INTO THE PIER! WE'RE GOING TO DIE!!" ....

Second only to The Pixar Enemy-Around-of-Death... Because when that goes rolling off it's axis, we'll be skewered by the water jets coming out of the bay!

I think that 3 days will be "good enough," but 4 days would be ideal, especially if you don't plan to go back for a long while. Preferably 2 days in parks, rest day, then 2 more days in parks. I feel like Disneyland itself, even without Galaxy's Edge, is a full 2 days to do everything I want to. I agree with others that DCA can be done in one day. Then, the fourth day could be set aside for Galaxy's Edge, swimming, and anything else you want to do again.

Personally, I would save money on the hotel to devote toward extra park days. Staying onsite at Disneyland does not have as many advantages as staying onsite at WDW, at least for the high price you are paying. There are off-site hotels across the street on Harbor Blvd that in some cases are an even closer walk to the front gates than the DLR hotels, for literally hundreds of dollars cheaper. It's true that you get EMH with on-site stays, but if you are buying a 3-day or more ticket then you will get one MM (Magic Morning) day, where you can enter an hour early.

I think that 3 days will be "good enough," but 4 days would be ideal, especially if you don't plan to go back for a long while. Preferably 2 days in parks, rest day, then 2 more days in parks. I feel like Disneyland itself, even without Galaxy's Edge, is a full 2 days to do everything I want to. I agree with others that DCA can be done in one day. Then, the fourth day could be set aside for Galaxy's Edge, swimming, and anything else you want to do again.

Personally, I would save money on the hotel to devote toward extra park days. Staying onsite at Disneyland does not have as many advantages as staying onsite at WDW, at least for the high price you are paying. There are off-site hotels across the street on Harbor Blvd that in some cases are an even closer walk to the front gates than the DLR hotels, for literally hundreds of dollars cheaper. It's true that you get EMH with on-site stays, but if you are buying a 3-day or more ticket then you will get one MM (Magic Morning) day, where you can enter an hour early.
If one has an extra available for DLR, I totally agree!

Except DCA needs more than a single day if you want to see the incredible World of Color. More like a day and then an evening for DCA. If Disney brings back Paint the Night, you almost have to bump that to two extra evenings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter