Is this "joke" funny?

Luv Bunnies

DIS Veteran
I'm on a trip with my mom, sister and DS. When we visit this area, DS likes to go on a particular tourist train ride. I went up to the ticket counter and asked if they have a senior price since my mom is 86. The woman behind the counter smiled and said, "Actually, we consider seniors a liability so we charge them double! But just for today, I'll give you the adult price!" I'll admit I was a bit stunned and said, "OK, four adults." While she was running the transaction I said, "Why do you consider seniors a liability?" She said, "It was a joke." I said, "I know, but my mom's not a liability." I signed the credit card slip, took my tickets and thanked her before walking away. I was never impolite, but I think she felt a bit put off by my reaction.

I will say that I love a good joke! I joke around a lot. I totally understand sarcasm and use it all the time. But the woman joking about seniors being a liability just didn't strike me as funny. In fact, it seemed kind of disrespectful. Did I overreact? Take it too personally? Maybe it struck me the wrong way because my sister and I have an elderly mom and helping her safely navigate this trip is a little stressful? Or does the ticket seller need to re-evaluate her idea of what kind of "jokes" are appropriate to use on ticket buyers?

It always depends on the delivery with a joke, and we weren't there. If the woman said it with the smiley cheery tone I hear in my head, I could have picked up it was a joke.

And maybe you would too, under different circumstances. Maybe travel stress impacted you a bit more this time.

Let it go.

I'm on a trip with my mom, sister and DS. When we visit this area, DS likes to go on a particular tourist train ride. I went up to the ticket counter and asked if they have a senior price since my mom is 86. The woman behind the counter smiled and said, "Actually, we consider seniors a liability so we charge them double! But just for today, I'll give you the adult price!" I'll admit I was a bit stunned and said, "OK, four adults." While she was running the transaction I said, "Why do you consider seniors a liability?" She said, "It was a joke." I said, "I know, but my mom's not a liability." I signed the credit card slip, took my tickets and thanked her before walking away. I was never impolite, but I think she felt a bit put off by my reaction.

I will say that I love a good joke! I joke around a lot. I totally understand sarcasm and use it all the time. But the woman joking about seniors being a liability just didn't strike me as funny. In fact, it seemed kind of disrespectful. Did I overreact? Take it too personally? Maybe it struck me the wrong way because my sister and I have an elderly mom and helping her safely navigate this trip is a little stressful? Or does the ticket seller need to re-evaluate her idea of what kind of "jokes" are appropriate to use on ticket buyers?
Probably a little of all the above. As someone who frequently tells jokes that don’t land (I think I’m funnier than I really am)🤷‍♂️, I’m sure she didn’t mean harm, but telling an unsolicited joke while working isn’t usually a good idea.

And as someone planning a trip with an elderly parent for the first time, especially where they need help navigating the entire journey, I can understand the stress of the situation and not being in the mood for jokes while trying to finalize a part of the trip.

I’d say sleep it off and forget it by morning. Oh and, enjoy the trip!

It was a joke. My dad is in his late 80s with some mobility issues and he would have definitely laughed. I think you are just feeling sensitive because of your current situation, but that’s okay. Sometimes a joke doesn’t land because of your personal circumstances, but I don’t think the person was being mean or was out of line.

I thought it was cute and would not have reacted that way. It particularly would not have upset me to the point to solicit outside opinions, but that's just me. I try not let minor things get to me.

It's not that funny really, though that could be in the delivery. It's not offensive or anything, just a little bland.

I'm 75 and dealing with a mobility problem. You know what, I thought it was funny and accurate all at the same time. Maybe it is because I am older and for some reason my skin is thicker, I look for humor wherever I can find it. That was funny and it is time the everyone stopped looking for things to be offended about. There are a lot of topics and statements that are being made at this point in time that are worthy of our upset. That was not one of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter