Is this "joke" funny?

I laughed when I read it, but almost immediately it turned from laughing because I thought it was funny to laughing in a “I can’t believe she had the nerve to say that to a customer” kind of thing. Though I don’t believe the employee meant any harm, I recognize that a comment like that could be hurtful to someone who is watching a loved one age and ail. It’s along the lines of shock-jock humor. Granted, this joke was only about a 0.04 on the shock scale, but it’s still a bit unprofessional and best left out of conversations with customers. She could have brought the same levity to the conversation had she stopped at “Seniors? We charge them double!” *wink wink* That would have allowed her to deflect the question with humor without risk of offending.

I laughed when I read it, but almost immediately it turned from laughing because I thought it was funny to laughing in a “I can’t believe she had the nerve to say that to a customer” kind of thing. Though I don’t believe the employee meant any harm, I recognize that a comment like that could be hurtful to someone who is watching a loved one age and ail. It’s along the lines of shock-jock humor. Granted, this joke was only about a 0.04 on the shock scale, but it’s still a bit unprofessional and best left out of conversations with customers. She could have brought the same levity to the conversation had she stopped at “Seniors? We charge them double!” *wink wink* That would have allowed her to deflect the question with humor without risk of offending.

That's what I was trying to say. The gist of the joke is funny, it's calling someone the word "liability" IMO that makes it inappropriate.

Being offended that an elder family member is called a liability =/= as treating that family member as a babbling fool. There are a lot of things I find funny, laughing at elders is not one of them.

I am glad tho that you are able to laugh at the "joke". At the end of the day everyone's humor is different and if it doesn't offend you I am truly happy for you and glad you can find joy in it.

My point was that the "joke" would not have landed at all in my family even if it landed in yours, and risking that as a customer facing employee is ... a choice.
There are many legitimate things that the elderly need to be defended from, a joke is not one of them. We are not automatically mentally fragile. Things like how we are treated in nursing homes, how we are used as cash cows by our families and so many awful things like some people didn't care if we died during the Pandemic (I ain't gonna wear no damn mask) ought to have people sincerely upset about, fall quite short. But, my goodness, lets get all verklempt about a freaking joke. I am an elder and one thing that I get upset about is condescending messages as is highlighted above. What I do find joy in is the ability to tell the difference between an insult and a light hearted remark. I guess we have to pick our battles. Some are worth it, some are not.

In our language many thing can be said that depending on how they are framed could mean more than one thing. You first sentence is a good example. Calling someone a liability can be treating someone like a fool, if it is meant to be serious. If it is in a joke than it is not a serious evaluation of an individual it is more of a reflection of the time we live in and not to be taken seriously. In this case if the person were indeed a liability no amount of ticket price would lessen that. The key is trying to interpret things based on common sense instead of words alone.

Last edited:
That's what I was trying to say. The gist of the joke is funny, it's calling someone the word "liability" IMO that makes it inappropriate.
But that was the key to the joke. What word would have been appropriate in your opinion. We life in a very law suit happy country. Liability is a real thing not necessarily an evil thing.

Good point...if there wasn't a discount the response, while I'm sure still not intending to be offensive, is a bit condescending.
And for me, I think the joke would have come off as less annoying/condescending and maybe even funny if they simply answered the question first.

So if I ask if there is a senior discount, I’d hope they’d start their answer by saying, “No, sorry,” Then lead into the joke. When I hear the joke without a direct answer first, I’d probably end up needing clarification, and say, “So there’s no seniors discount?”

There are many legitimate things that the elderly need to be defended from, a joke is not one of them. We are not automatically mentally fragile. Things like how we are treated in nursing homes, how we are used as cash cows by our families and so many awful things like some people didn't care if we died during the Pandemic (I ain't gonna wear no damn mask) ought to have people sincerely upset about, fall quite short. But, my goodness, lets get all verklempt about a freaking joke. I am an elder and one thing that I get upset about is how condescending messages as is highlighted above. What I do find joy in is the ability to tell the difference between an insult and a light hearted remark. I guess we have to pick our battles. Some are worth it, some are not.

In our language many thing can be said that depending on how they are framed could mean more than one thing. You first sentence is a good example. Calling someone a liability can be treating someone like a fool, if it is meant to be serious. If it is in a joke than it is not a serious evaluation of an individual it is more of a reflection of the time we live in and not to be taken seriously. In this case if the person were indeed a liability no amount of ticket price would lessen that. It is dividing things based on common sense instead of words alone.
Your take on all of it seems so much like my dad's. He IS a liability on paper, and he's the first to admit it. Lots of health problems that ought to have him flat on his back (and did, until he and his doctor got them under control). But he finds the humor in all of it. Example: He was still using an ECV when we went on an Alaska cruise. Coming back to the ship from port, the water level had shifted and the gangway was really steep. He went up-up-up....then the scooter tipped over backwards and he landed flat on his back like a turtle! The ship staff members that saw it were appalled. But he and I both busted out laughing like nutcases. First thing he asked was if I got video of it, so we could submit to America's Funniest Videos.

Dad's lived through all the same historical events you were talking about, plus years of doctors and procedures and difficulties. And he's so proud of where he's gotten to health wise, where with accommodations and the trusty walking cane he always has by his side, he can mostly live a normal life. The ONLY two things he can't stand are A: people not caring if he dies (the pandemic mask debate) and B: people treating him like some fragile flower. The man has regular medical procedures that involve burning off nerves, with NO sedation. His normal daily pain levels would flatten most people. He's tough. And he's perfectly capable of doing things himself, even if it takes a little longer (and one of his favorite sayings is "If you make me an invalid, you're making me invalid as a person.") And he's perfectly capable of taking a joke.

I admire you both. And I truly hope I can maintain that healthy attitude about it all as I age.

Great statement, if only any of us had the slightest idea what the hell you are talking about. That would make that statement important. But, alas!
What is there to not understand? What she said was lame and dumb, like a “dad joke”. No big deal. Alas! Lighten up. 🙄

There are many legitimate things that the elderly need to be defended from, a joke is not one of them. We are not automatically mentally fragile. Things like how we are treated in nursing homes, how we are used as cash cows by our families and so many awful things like some people didn't care if we died during the Pandemic (I ain't gonna wear no damn mask) ought to have people sincerely upset about, fall quite short. But, my goodness, lets get all verklempt about a freaking joke. I am an elder and one thing that I get upset about is condescending messages as is highlighted above. What I do find joy in is the ability to tell the difference between an insult and a light hearted remark. I guess we have to pick our battles. Some are worth it, some are not.

In our language many thing can be said that depending on how they are framed could mean more than one thing. You first sentence is a good example. Calling someone a liability can be treating someone like a fool, if it is meant to be serious. If it is in a joke than it is not a serious evaluation of an individual it is more of a reflection of the time we live in and not to be taken seriously. In this case if the person were indeed a liability no amount of ticket price would lessen that. The key is trying to interpret things based on common sense instead of words alone.
I was not being condescending. I am genuinely happy that after all the bad things that you described in your comment you can laugh at something like that "joke".

Again, it is not up to you to decide what is offensive or not to other ppl. What is offensive to the elders in my family is dif that what is offensive to you. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am unsure why you want to die on this hill. We are not gonna agree with each other.

But that was the key to the joke. What word would have been appropriate in your opinion. We life in a very law suit happy country. Liability is a real thing not necessarily an evil thing.
Like I said in my earlier post, something like "troublemaker" or even really lean in and say "rabblerouser" or some goofy thing. Most seniors are NOT those things so the joke is clear. However, reality is that seniors are literally considered liabilities in many ways - insurance, etc. - because they are nearing the end of their lives so that takes away the humor (obviously my opinion since we are giving our opinions) when you use that word. Yes, I agree liability is a real thing, that's kind of my point in why my opinion is it's not very humorous.

Some people really enjoy hard deadpan humor or jokes where you have to decide whether they are joking or not. I prefer more obvious humor.

When DH's elderly grandfather went in for a hair cut (thinning hair, barely there) he asked the barber for a discount. The barber replied, "I oughta charge you a finder's fee." Grandpa had started the conversation, in humor, and the barber retorted in humor. Since the men had known each other for years, they had fun teasing each other. don't know if that joke (or others) would "fly" between strangers.

When DH's elderly grandfather went in for a hair cut (thinning hair, barely there) he asked the barber for a discount. The barber replied, "I oughta charge you a finder's fee." Grandpa had started the conversation, in humor, and the barber retorted in humor. Since the men had known each other for years, they had fun teasing each other. don't know if that joke (or others) would "fly" between strangers.
That was funny, and seems to be in the same vein as the joke in question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter