• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this "joke" funny?

That was funny, and seems to be in the same vein as the joke in question.
The big difference being the latter was a joke/interaction between two people who knew each other for years, and the former (original) was an interaction between two complete strangers (one of them in a customer service role). So while the jokes may have been in similar veins, there were other factors that could/would likely affect how they jokes themselves were taken.

There is a difference between saying I would not be offended and telling the OP that they should not be offended.

Well but the OP specifically asked if they overreacted/took it too personally. Nothing wrong with people answering

What is there to not understand? What she said was lame and dumb, like a “dad joke”. No big deal. Alas! Lighten up. 🙄
There were a number of us that had posted. Without you quoting the particular post that led you to express your opinion, we had no idea what topic you were replying too.
Like I said in my earlier post, something like "troublemaker" or even really lean in and say "rabblerouser" or some goofy thing. Most seniors are NOT those things so the joke is clear. However, reality is that seniors are literally considered liabilities in many ways - insurance, etc. - because they are nearing the end of their lives so that takes away the humor (obviously my opinion since we are giving our opinions) when you use that word. Yes, I agree liability is a real thing, that's kind of my point in why my opinion is it's not very humorous.

Some people really enjoy hard deadpan humor or jokes where you have to decide whether they are joking or not. I prefer more obvious humor.
If taken out of context it is indeed serious, but in this case it was immediately identified as just kidding around. That is the difference. That narrative did not continue stating the liability part and was immediately clarified as a joke.

I was not being condescending. I am genuinely happy that after all the bad things that you described in your comment you can laugh at something like that "joke".

Again, it is not up to you to decide what is offensive or not to other ppl. What is offensive to the elders in my family is dif that what is offensive to you. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am unsure why you want to die on this hill. We are not gonna agree with each other.
Is that "not want to die on this hill" a reference to my being old. See how easily something that was meant one way can be twisted around if we really want to twist it? As an older person, I think I should be quite able to determine what is offensive to an older person. We have enough to worry about without creating drama.

Is that "not want to die on this hill" a reference to my being old. See how easily something that was meant one way can be twisted around if we really want to twist it? As an older person, I think I should be quite able to determine what is offensive to an older person. We have enough to worry about without creating drama.
You don't speak for elders everywhere in the world.

Well but the OP specifically asked if they overreacted/took it too personally. Nothing wrong with people answering
Absolutely. I love opinion threads. Unfortunately, some people want to turn them into a argument for some reason. The only problem that has happened here on this thread is putting down people who answered the OP differently than they would have. .

These kinds of discussions always make me think "Jane, you ignorant ****." Not sure if I can type that word so I didn't, but it's a famous Saturday Night Live quote where a "point counterpoint" discussion turns into a ridiculous fight. It was hilarious. We're not there yet but heading that direction! It'd be nice to be able to have opinions without the need to imply that people who see it differently are idiots.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter