Is this my only option with an Anxiety prone ASD Kiddo, big stroller *UPDATED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
All good. In the end you're trying to do a service for everyone by informing them of the correct way things should be. (don't be sorry about that) I truly get what you are saying. I was just giving what facts I could to back up what I was saying. Sometimes it's a good thing to have questions - makes you check your facts and even feelings on things (kick the tires type of thing) to make sure you are truly thinking/feeling straight about a topic and maybe see if someone else's point is valid and maybe even see if you need to change your mind or way of thinking or seeing something. Discussion is good. Debate as well. If you can see the why of another view perhaps it will change yours or give you new insight on the topic.

Thank you for your responses.

OP -- I'm glad you had a terrific vacation and all worked out well for you!

I do agree with others, though, that the bike trailer is highly unlikely to be rated for transportation tie-down. Most special needs strollers are not rated for transport tie-down, hence the requirement that they be folded on buses. While the lower framing of the bike trailer may be quite sturdy, it is designed to move either with or away from the crash, it is not designed to withstand the same type of force that a tied-down mobility device can withstand. Devices rated for tie-down during transport typically have welded areas creating extra sturdiness at that tie-down spot. The forces involved in a sudden stop, to say nothing of an accident, could bend/break/damage the framing of other equipment inappropriately tied down. I see nothing on the Wike site indicating what kind of safety testing is done on their trailers.

However, my biggest concern regarding a child remaining in a bike stroller while tied-down on a bus is with regard to the upper portion of the stroller. Bike trailers are generally designed to NOT tip over, therefore the upper portion does not have the sturdy all-around framing of the lower portion. In a bike trailer, the child rides extremely low to the ground, much lower than typical seat height on a bus. A child riding so low could easily have an adult fall onto/into the stroller if the adult loses his/her balance. I don't think that upper frame has been tested against a 200lb or 250lb person putting full weight on it. Add in the additional forces of a crash or roll-over bus accident, and an adult passenger could probably crush the top of that stroller right down on the child.

It is true that the bus drivers will most likely take a guest's word as to a mobility device being transport-ready. I am surprised they allowed any type of stroller device to be tied-down, as they are usually quite insistent against that practice. In this situation I think it was an usual enough piece of equipment that they weren't at all familiar with it.

Again, though, I am very glad your family had a great vacation without the stresses that came up during planning!

I am going to close this thread.

I will add though that even though the original poster's stroller is stronger than an average stroller and has features like a roll bar and a seat belt, it is designed to be pulled by a bike.

That puts stress on different parts of the frame than being tied down with the bus tie downs. The places that the tied downs would be attached to were not designed for that purpose.

So, Im glad it sounds like the OP had a good time, but it is still not a good idea to try to use a stroller on the bus that was not designed for that purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter