Is this ringworm?

Disneyplanners

Mouseketeer
Just getting DS6 into the bathtub, and find this:

SANY2107.jpg
[/IMG]

Does this look like ringworm? He's all of a sudden acting tired and lethargic, should I take him to a Dr. tonight?

Thanks!!

I am not a doctor and can only go by my experience. It does not look like ringworm to me. My DS had it twice before he was 10. The rings were much more defined. Also the inside of your son's rings are much cleaner.

My son didn't show any kind of signs of lethargy either. However, my DD used to have allergic reaction that looked like that. They never did figure what caused them, however. They didn't affect her and she just grew out of it.

But if you are concerned, give your doctor a call.

It looks like ringworm. Is he itchy?

Regardless, he needs a visit in the morning. :hug:

I don't think it looks like ringworm but rash and lethargic = doctor's visit, for me. I'd call them tonight and see what they say.

If you want to play it safe, ringworm is treated with topical antifungal creams. You can put some lamisil or tinactin on it until you can see the doctor.

Don't freak. It's a fungus not a worm. Common in children. Call your Pediatrician in the AM and get him in. Don't let him scratch and keep it dry if you can.

It does kind of look like ringworm but ringworm is not associated with lethargy that I am aware of. My Ped told me once that rashes can be so hard to discern and some things look similar to others. Anytime they hear "rash" they request an office visit to determine what it really is.

Ditto tinactin or lamisil or the like..you can try it on there and see if it helps but since he is lethargic I would likely take him in as it is possible it is something else.

Been in child care for twenty years and that doesn't really look like ring worm to me. The small one kind of does, but the large one's don't and I've never heard of a child being lethergic with ring worm. It is definately something to check out. Its a rash of some kind and the child shouldn't go to school until cleared. Here is a picture of traditional ring worm http://children.webmd.com/ss/slideshow-common-childhood-skin-problems See the "crusties" in the middle. I don't see those in your picture.

This looks very much like the rash my daughter had when we discovered her penicillan allergy. She also had swollen feet. Has your child recently finished a course of antibiotics?

It doesn't look like ringworm to me, but it could be.

If it IS ringworm, I have found that the anti-fungal meds take FOREVER to clear it up. I used clear nail polish. I know it sounds so strange, but just brush it on the ring and in a few days it will be gone. (Just make sure you don't use that polish again ;))

It looks more like hives to me. Allergies could also cause the lethargy. I would definitely get him looked at, though.

The rash doesn't look like it, but I'd have the dr. check for Lyme's -- lethargy is a symptom.

it looks like the start of eczema to me... hydrcortisone and eucerin in mixed in equal parts should take care of it

Thanks everyone who took a look and responded. After watching the rash last night, we are pretty sure they were hives. After I took that picture, more spots developed, and the old ones would disappear. It then spread down his legs and back. He had the same reaction to penicillin when he was one, although that time the hives were filled in, not empty circles. I'm pretty sure it was an allergic reaction of some kind, but I don't know to what. After his bath, his lethargy went away, and he was his normal self. And this morning the rash was gone! I am going to get him into the allergist to find out what's going on. He has seasonal allergies, and his ped. suggested zertec instead of clariton and prescribed flonase also. He started those new meds 2 - 3 weeks ago, so that may be a possible cause.

Thanks everyone who took a look and responded. After watching the rash last night, we are pretty sure they were hives. After I took that picture, more spots developed, and the old ones would disappear. It then spread down his legs and back. He had the same reaction to penicillin when he was one, although that time the hives were filled in, not empty circles. I'm pretty sure it was an allergic reaction of some kind, but I don't know to what. After his bath, his lethargy went away, and he was his normal self. And this morning the rash was gone! I am going to get him into the allergist to find out what's going on. He has seasonal allergies, and his ped. suggested zertec instead of clariton and prescribed flonase also. He started those new meds 2 - 3 weeks ago, so that may be a possible cause.

Glad he's better

Glad your DS was feeling better after you posted. DD had a flare up of ezcema a couple of years ago that looked just like that and I swore that she had ringworm when I first saw those spots. Hoping the dr has some answers for you and that it's something easy for you to take care of.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter