• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is this runDisney plan crazy?

kermit116

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yeste
I'm working on plans for runDisney races in 2015. I'd love to go for the coast-to-coast medal, and originally had planned to go for that in 2016, but now I'm considering doing it next year. Here's the plan I'm considering:

--Princess 10k (already signed up)
--Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare
--Wine & Dine Half

Here's a little background on me and why I'm wondering if this may be too much for me too soon. Until spring of this year, I hadn't been in any running training for 15+ years. I just did the Disneyland 10k (my first rD event) doing a mix of running/walking. My goal for my first 10k was just to finish and not be a zombie when touring the parks for the rest of the two days, so mission accomplished!

My goal for the Princess 10k is to run more & longer intervals & improve my time. I'm running with two friends who are more experienced runners, so it'll definitely be a time to kick my running up a notch.

Now, I've already committed to doing the Disneyland 10k with a friend in 2015. This friend has already told me that the 10k is the longest distance she'd ever want to do, so basically if I want to do the Disneyland half to kick off my C2C medal hunt, I'd need to do the Dumbo Double Dare. (side note - I would have looked for a travel package to do the Tink half in May 2015 to kick off my C2C, but since it's over Mother's Day that's not going to work).

Next, I'd love to do the Wine & Dine half because I've heard such great things about it, and I think my family would really enjoy the after party in Epcot. This would be leg 2 of my C2C.

The only element of this that I'm really concerned about is the Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland. I think it would be awesome to do it, and honestly I was kind of inspired by seeing so many people walking around with 19.3 shirts and multiple medals at Disneyland over Labor Day weekend. But, is it totally crazy to go from my second 10k in February to running both a 10k and half in September?

Because of my work, I can usually only fit in 3 (maybe 4) running training days per week. I know that generally fits with the Galloway schedule, but I'm still a little nervous about training for DDD. Then again, I was shocked that I was able to go from being exhausted walking 2 miles in May to running/walking a full 10k at the end of August, so I suppose it is possible.

Obviously this is an individual decision I'll have to make for myself, but if anyone has advice, insights, tips, etc. I'd love to hear them!

And now, I'm off for my weekend long run! :yay::wave2:

You have plenty of time to go from a 10K in February to a 10K and a half back to back in September.

I would strongly recommend the Jeff Galloway beginner half marathon training schedule if you are a fan of run/walking. It is an excellent tool to prepare you for finishing in an upright position.

I personally wouldn’t even worry about adding the 10K as far as your training is concerned, as long as your half time will be comfortably inside swept time. It’s hard to say exactly because I don’t know your current pace, but I would say shoot for 13/14 minute miles (at the high end). (Please don’t be offended if you are faster than this.) Assuming you complete your training with that as a goal the 10 K the day before will be no more than a slightly long “stay loose” run. Just do the 10K at a comfortable pace maintaining your run/walk schedule and it will be a piece of cake. :cool1:

I would recommend leisurely touring parks on the day between the races as an active recovery. NO SPRINTING FROM RIDE TO RIDE ALLOWED!:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Oh, I almost forgot. HYDRATE! In my experience lack of hydration will zap your fuel tanks faster than just about anything else you have control over. Drink plenty of fluids the day between the races, and then maybe drink a bit more.

But, is it totally crazy to go from my second 10k in February to running both a 10k and half in September?

People have done less reasonable things than that. :)

It's not something I personally wish to do (I'm 44 and I'm still getting the old bones, ligaments, and tendons used to ONE race at a time) but many many others would! :)

Have fun!

I'd say go for it. My first 10k and 1/2 was the DDD last year. Prior to that I had done several 5k's. I followed Jeff Galloway DDD training plan. It gets you prepared for the race. I'm 53yo. had been run/walk/run for a year prior to that race.
Have fun.

I was in the same boat a few years ago. I hadn't done anything in the line or running or races in nearly 3 decades! I used to run track in high school and that was around 1982. After that, nadda.

Fast forward to 2012 when I had signed up for the Donald Duck half and was nervous as all hell! I remember not even knowing if I could even do a half let alone in a race! I went on my treadmill and walked the whole distance...my legs, feet were killing me. Eventually I bought a pair of proper running shoes. I did the Donald half and was hooked.

Then, like you, after seeing all the Goofy medals on everyone that same weekend I thought - I want to do that next year! So I signed up for it...because I knew if I signed up and PAID for it I would have to do it and train for it. So I did it. In the meantime I signed up and ran a lot of local half's and 5k's.

This year in 2014 I did the Dopey challenge. So it was getting crazier and crazier. I did that. Glad I did it. Glad I did it all because I proved to myself I can do anything even if I thought I couldn't!

Now this 2015 I am signed up for the half in Disney world and nothing else however then I am flying out west to do the Star Wars 10k and then half race
in Disney Land the following week!

You can do it. Train wisely. Get the best running shoes and come on here to get motivated.:banana:

But, is it totally crazy to go from my second 10k in February to running both a 10k and half in September?

Because of my work, I can usually only fit in 3 (maybe 4) running training days per week. I know that generally fits with the Galloway schedule, but I'm still a little nervous about training for DDD.

I'll echo that yes, you can absolutely do it. You still have a lot of time between now and then to improve as a runner. And while doing a 10k before a half marathon may seem daunting now, the 10k distance won't seem as daunting once you've gotten up to the half marathon mileage. It'll still make for a challenge the second day with your legs being a bit more fatigued, but that too is something that you can train for and have ample time for that training.

Our summarized runDisney path was me hearing about marathon weekend at a 10 miler in April 2012. I swore off anything over a 10k that night, but we looked into the Disney races as I felt better in the weeks after. My fiancee wasn't running at all then, but we signed up for the Goofy Challenge and started working on her running right away. We ran one half marathon in October as a training run doing Galloway, and in January 2013 we completed the Goofy Challenge doing the walk/run method.

We train 2x during the week (Tue/Thu) with lower mileage and then do our longer runs on Sat/Sun due to the challenge having back-to-back days. With the time and commitment to training, you can do it!

You can absolutely finish these runs if you set your mind to it.

But, my contrarian view is, why should you?

Unless you have something going on in your life that would prevent you from doing any RunDisney events in 2016-- like heading out to the space station or such --why not enjoy the DL 10K with your friend and plan on getting your C2C the following year?

-- Suzanne

I'd say it's very doable.

I also took a 15 year break from running and started again last Sept, I ran my first 5k in January, my first 10k last month, will be doing my first half in November, and am running the Rebel challenge next January.

I've been loosely following a Galloway program and slowly increasing my distance over the last year, I ran my first half in training about 2 months ago, I ran my first back to back 10k and a half last week in training and although I was very sore afterward I was happy I proved to myself I could do it. Now I can just keep training without that doubt hanging over my head.

I never thought I'd be able to run a half let alone a challenge, just keep training and you'll be fine.

I went from my couch to a 1/2 marathon in 4 months. I never even considered doing any shorter distances like a 5K or 10K leading up to the 2011 Disneyland 1/2. Then in 2012, I did the Disneyland and Wine & Dine for my Coast to Coast. In short, you can definitely achieve it. I still have yet to participate in any race distance less than a 1/2. And my 3+ hour finish times prove that I'm not some spectacular athlete who's a natural at this.

As for when to do the Coast to Coast, my recommendation is to do it as soon as you can feasibly do so. I wouldn't delay simply because your original plan said 2016 if 2015 works. Life can change so quickly.

For me, one Coast to Coast may be the only chance I had at that. I'd love to do another race at WDW, but it may not be possible because of professional obligations combined with when WDW races happen, and all the other things I want to do there that aren't held concurrently with races. But now that I accomplished one Coast to Coast, I don't have to worry if another opportunity never comes up.

Easy. I'm almost 64 and just started running in May 2013. (Overweight, too, and my podiatrist told me I couldn't run--I have "terrible" feet, according to him) I did the 5k, 10k and Half in February last year--before those races, I'd NEVER done more than a 5k. I added the Half in November, so I didn't have that much time to train, and most of it was through a really yucky NJ winter, with more snow than we usually get.

I've done four 10ks now, but just the one Half. You can do this pretty easily.

I am on the YOU CAN DO IT train. Even if you just started running in February next year you could do it by September but you have already been running. I think if you do your work and do the consistent training and avoid injury, you will not only do it but you will laugh at yourself as you cross the finish line thinking that at some point you didn't think you'd be able to.

As someone else mentioned, it may seem like a lot now but as you increase the mileage the 10K will seem like nothing.

Here's my story. December 2013 I just learned my wife wanted a divorce. I was 250 lbs and 40 yrs old. I decided it was time to challenge myself. I have NEVER run. I played sports but never distance running. I love Disney so I thought a runDisney race would be the perfect challenge. I signed up for the ToT (leaving for Disney tomorrow :thumbsup2) in March before I ran a step. I started on the treadmill because of the lovely winter we had here in MA. I was doing 14 minute miles and sucking wind like a Hoover.

By 6/1 I did a 10K for POT and got down to 9:02 pace. Over the summer I was running as much as 4 days in a row some weeks. I didn't think the ToT was possible when I signed up. I thought, "10 miles, that's crazy". I chose it because it was shortest distance of all the major races. Here's the best part. Since I like to challenge myself I decided during this journey that the 10 miles wasn't hard enough so I have a marathon scheduled for 10/19. :confused3 My goal was under 4:00 for that but I don't think it will happen. But, I'll finish. 7 months after taking my first step on the treadmill I will finish my first marathon.

The only thing keeping you from making this happen is you. If you want it bad enough and believe you can do it, you will make it happen. I doubted myself initially. I was scared of the 10K when I signed up for that. Now I do that distance as my "easy" runs during the week and I am not even sore when I finish. Our bodies are capable of A LOT. It's our minds that limit us most of the time.

I used to hate running and now I am planning to do the 2016 Boston Marathon (for charity) and the 2018 Dopey (5 yr anniversary=cooler medal).

I wish you luck and hope you keep us posted.

I'm working on plans for runDisney races in 2015. I'd love to go for the coast-to-coast medal, and originally had planned to go for that in 2016, but now I'm considering doing it next year. Here's the plan I'm considering:

--Princess 10k (already signed up)
--Disneyland Dumbo Double Dare
--Wine & Dine Half

Here's a little background on me and why I'm wondering if this may be too much for me too soon. Until spring of this year, I hadn't been in any running training for 15+ years. I just did the Disneyland 10k (my first rD event) doing a mix of running/walking. My goal for my first 10k was just to finish and not be a zombie when touring the parks for the rest of the two days, so mission accomplished!

My goal for the Princess 10k is to run more & longer intervals & improve my time. I'm running with two friends who are more experienced runners, so it'll definitely be a time to kick my running up a notch.

Now, I've already committed to doing the Disneyland 10k with a friend in 2015. This friend has already told me that the 10k is the longest distance she'd ever want to do, so basically if I want to do the Disneyland half to kick off my C2C medal hunt, I'd need to do the Dumbo Double Dare. (side note - I would have looked for a travel package to do the Tink half in May 2015 to kick off my C2C, but since it's over Mother's Day that's not going to work).

Next, I'd love to do the Wine & Dine half because I've heard such great things about it, and I think my family would really enjoy the after party in Epcot. This would be leg 2 of my C2C.

The only element of this that I'm really concerned about is the Dumbo Double Dare at Disneyland. I think it would be awesome to do it, and honestly I was kind of inspired by seeing so many people walking around with 19.3 shirts and multiple medals at Disneyland over Labor Day weekend. But, is it totally crazy to go from my second 10k in February to running both a 10k and half in September?

Because of my work, I can usually only fit in 3 (maybe 4) running training days per week. I know that generally fits with the Galloway schedule, but I'm still a little nervous about training for DDD. Then again, I was shocked that I was able to go from being exhausted walking 2 miles in May to running/walking a full 10k at the end of August, so I suppose it is possible.

Obviously this is an individual decision I'll have to make for myself, but if anyone has advice, insights, tips, etc. I'd love to hear them!

And now, I'm off for my weekend long run! :yay::wave2:

Just want to say that you (and all the encouragement you got from PP) inspired me as well! I have done a bunch of 10ks, but have not really trained properly and have a PB of 1:12 for 10K... So I am taking my training seriously for the first time in a long time.

Thanks so much everyone!! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter