Is this SARS virus scaring anyone?

ez

<font color=green>Yoshi Lover<br><font color=deepp
I think if it wasn't for the war it would be getting much more coverage. I've been reading articles about it on google news-very scary and anything but contained. I have to be honest, it makes me a little nervous going to WDW, with all the international vacationers there. Anyone else think this?

I am a little because my Dad has a background in MicroBiology and is a little concerned.

I am glad that they have found the organism.

nope....not me....'cause it's still such a compartively small amount of people who can spread it....and the WHO and CDC are 'on top' of it...I'd have NO fears about going to WDW! :)

I'm a bit leery only because a student at the college my BIL attends has been diagnosed with it and I worry for him. I'm glad they are dealing with competently and quickly.

I'm only worried because I came down with a cough and chest congestion 2 days ago, so of course I think I have SARS even though the chances I think, are so so small!

not me....'cause it's still such a compartively small amount of people who can spread it

I hate to say it - but the only reason that a lot of people in the US are not worried about SARS yet is because they have been *bombarded* with war coverage. Therefore, SARS is taking a *back seat*. If there was no war - this would be as scary to you guys as it is to other countries...

I can't help but think about how Anthrax got all of North America petrified - and this?!? WAY WORSE!!!!! The numbers here are literally doubling EVERY WEEK!!!

..to answer your question ez - yes, I for one (who am getting SARS as a top story in the news coverage over the war?!?!?) am very, very scared...:(

I really don't see how they can *contain this* - it already present in over 12 countries?!?

We have 2 Buffalo Sabres hockey players that visited someone in the Toronto area who are now not allowed to travel with the team because of SARS. I guess this person that they came in contact with is showing symptoms. I think this is pretty scary.

Well...apparently it is something to be concerned about.

The higher-ups are bombarding us with memos on it at the hospital. :eek:

They are investigating several deaths of children that happened in the southern VA area a few weeks ago. Could've been SARS...still no official word yet. I think one child has been cleared.

Because of warnings about deadly Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, the Rolling Stones have canceled shows scheduled for Friday and Saturday (March 28 & 29) in Hong Kong. Chinese authorities and the World Health Organization expressed concern that the large gatherings could facilitate the spread of the disease, which has killed 17 people since February 1. The band played Wednesday in Sinapore and plans to play next week in Shanghai and Beijing.

Andy Williams has postponed an April 12 concert in Hong Kong the same reason.

I hate to say it - but the only reason that a lot of people in the US are not worried about SARS yet is because they have been *bombarded* with war coverage. Therefore, SARS is taking a *back seat*.

:)...that is not the basis of my 'non fear'....although I agree with you...that in 'normal' times...the story would get more coverage....I believe...if you research the issue...you may find that it appears that 'real' risk of SARS is really only if you've been in a limited area of china recently....and in fact tonight NPR reported that the strains/infected people who have made it to the US...'seem' not to have the most potent version of SARS...:)

Originally posted by Charleneluvsdisney
We have 2 Buffalo Sabres hockey players that visited someone in the Toronto area who are now not allowed to travel with the team because of SARS. I guess this person that they came in contact with is showing symptoms. I think this is pretty scary.

WHAT????
Im supposed to be going to the Bruins/Sabers game next week. I wasnt worried about this at all, before.

I am concerned about SARS, too. It makes me think about the flu epidemics at the beginning of the last century that killed so many.

One thing that *may* be positive is that it is making its debut relatively late in the cold/flu season this year. It seems that these type viruses spread more easily in cold weather--since we are cooped up together more. Maybe as the weather turns warmer, the virus won't spread as quickly.

Yes, I am a little concerned. I heard on the news tonight that the Doctor who originally diagnosed this disease and treated patients for it has died of it. He was only 46.:(

My mother works in a Toronto hospital so I am very concerned! They had her hospital in lockdown the other day. The only good thing is that the hospitals in North America are taking a more proactive approach to controlling the virus than in Asia. A mother and son who had recently travelled from Asia died here. If you've visited a hospital that has patients suffering from Sars you must be quaranteed for 10 days at home. My mom spent all of yesterday calling rns to find out what local hospitals they had worked in recently. She had to tell them not to come in if there was a chance they could have been exposed.

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/29/sars_ontario030329

I agree that it is scary and not getting the exposure that it would be getting if not for the war. The media loves a crisis. Look at the way they beat a potential snowstorm to death if there is no other exciting news.

6_Time_Momma, I was just saying to my husband that this reminded me of "Captain Tripps." I keep waiting to see Randall Flag!

As someone who can be the biggest hypochondriac (sp?), I can honestly say that I am not worried. I guess this just falls back on... if it is my time, it's my time and I can't do anything about it anyway, it is God's will.

appears that 'real' risk of SARS is really only if you've been in a limited area of china recently....

I think you are the one who has to do some research...;)

... SARS enters your country from someone who has been in a country who has SARS (example - the Buffalo players who are showing signs of it - did NOT receive it from a *limited area of China* but rather from Toronto!!!)

After that - this one person passes to WHOEVER within their own country by coughing, sneezing etc as the virus is not airborne

The US has had no deaths yet from SARS - we have had 3 and a number of hospital shutdowns and quarantines (it's just like the movie *Outbreak* around here) I can not help but BELIEVE that if the US was in the same situation - you guys would have the same amount of fear!

FYI From the CNN website:

Total number of reported cases: 1,408

Confirmed death toll: 53

Canada: 28 cases reported. Three dead.

China: 806 cases reported. 34 dead.

France: One case reported.

Germany: Four cases reported.

Hong Kong: 367 cases reported. 10 dead.

Italy: Two cases reported.

Ireland: Two cases reported.

Romania: Three cases reported.

Singapore: 78 cases reported.

Switzerland: Two cases reported.

Taiwan: Six cases reported.

Thailand: Three cases reported.

United Kingdom: Three cases reported.

United States: 45 cases reported.

Vietnam: 58 cases reported. Four dead.

Edit: CNN is now reporting that it could be *airborne*

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/03/30/mystery.illness/index.html

I have concerns also. It is getting more prominent in the news each day. When I was in Toronto on my March Break (8-16) it was just starting to get media coverage towards the end. I came home from Toronto pretty sick and was in the hospital for a few days. Now it was just bad broncitis/asthma, but they did the x-reays to be sure my lungs were clear. This is before they started quarinteening people. I am pretty sure if it had been now, I would of been quarantened. It is a scary situation, because it can be spread. I know they are saying only if you have been in contact with someone who has it......but it takes a few days to incubate too, so in the meantime if you have it and not know it, you could theoritically infect many people. My friend teachers at a private school and they have already quarantened a few of the students who 'might' have been infected. So yes, I do have concerns over it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter