Is this word offensive? Possibly a Filipino name -

easyas123

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping to get a bit of advice, perhaps by someone who is familiar with the Filipino language?

Today we got another foster dog, and she came with a name we are unfamiliar with, hadn't actually ever heard it before and weren't sure how to pronounce it. So, like most folks the first thing we did was google it. Initially the word came up as a Filipino name, however it also came up as a ethnic slang for those of asian lineage, as well as slang for some various body parts /descriptions that one really ought not use in polite society! In some cases the spelling was the same, in others it was slightly different, but I have no idea if it pronounced the same or not.
The foster came from a elderly couple - that I did not meet or speak with - who gave her up do to a difficult life situation, and they gave her the name. I do not know if they are Filipino or not. I don't want to change the name they gave her if it's appropriate, but I don't want to call her by a name (and send her on to a new home eventually!) that is offensive or a very rude slang.

The name if Cheenie, and if I am correct it is pronounced 'Chain-eee'

Thanks to anyone who might be able to offer some insight on this word/name for us beyond what we found on Google!

I tried the name with Google translate, and in Filipino, Google says it translates to Cheenie!

However, it also offered a translation from Hindi, and the word in Hindi apparently means "Sugar."

That's a tough one! Could you change it to something that sounds similar like Lainey or Whinnie, maybe Janie?

I have written to a friend from the Philippines, and am waiting to hear back

Shaney is nice, too. I agree something similar sounding could work if you’re unsure/uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone! Yes, if it’s not appropriate I’ll go with something similar in the vein of Shaney/janie/ genie .

thanks Pea- I appreciate you reaching out to your friend very much! These poor elderly people did not want to have to give up their dog but life circumstances force them into it and they’re quite heartbroken about it, and I don’t want to be disrespectful towards them by just willy-nilly changing their dogs name if it’s a term of endearment to them or anything along those lines. Nor do I want to get strange looks at the vets or when she goes up for adoption!

I know a human named Chaney...never heard of there being an issue.

Last edited:

Thanks everyone! Yes, if it’s not appropriate I’ll go with something similar in the vein of Shaney/janie/ genie .

thanks Pea- I appreciate you reaching out to your friend very much! These poor elderly people did not want to have to give up their dog but life circumstances force them into it and they’re quite heartbroken about it, and I don’t want to be disrespectful towards them by just willy-nilly changing their dogs name if it’s a term of endearment to them or anything along those lines. Nor do I want to get strange looks at the vets or when she goes up for adoption!
Wrote to a second friend from the Phillipines. She said that, no, it doesn’t mean anything bad in her generation (our age), but she’s not sure of whether it could be slang for kids today.

Never heard of someone being foster parents for a dog.........how long do you typically keep it? If only for a short time, then I think whatever name you choose to avoid anything that is apparently offensive is the way to go. Would the original owners ever have any other involvement? If not, would they ever know of the name change? I have some relatives who got dogs from a rescue shelter. They were never given any information about the dog's former owners.

I wouldn't worry about it.

You didn't name the dog, and you don't know what, if anything, the name means.

If anyone actually gets offended, just say you didn't name the dog and ask them what it means. If appropriate, apologize. But I sure wouldn't worry about renaming a dog someone else named that you're only fostering!

When we returned from our first tour in Japan, a teacher in Georgia gave me a puppy. We couldn't think of a name, so we named him "Inu," which is Japanese for "dog." And sure enough, a couple of years later we were on our way back to Japan for another three years. Initially, we lived in a small Japanese village with three other American families. One of the other families had a little dog they had named "Sukoshi" which means "little."

So we'd go outside and call our dogs: "Inu," "Sukoshi," and all the Japanese folks would laugh at the crazy Americans!

There is a town in Washington State that is Cheney. The Seattle Seahawks used to have their training camps there, back in the day. So if you don't want to change the dogs name, just change the spelling and pretend you are a Seahawks fan (or a fan of Cheney, WA).

Heard from first friend. She said it‘s not a common Fil name and she hasn’t heard it associated with any slang.

Never heard of someone being foster parents for a dog.........how long do you typically keep it? If only for a short time, then I think whatever name you choose to avoid anything that is apparently offensive is the way to go. Would the original owners ever have any other involvement? If not, would they ever know of the name change? I have some relatives who got dogs from a rescue shelter. They were never given any information about the dog's former owners.
You’ve never heard of dog fosters? It’s very common, keeps dogs out of shelters, I know many families that foster dogs all of the time (my rescue was from a foster).

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts on the matter. I hadn't heard of it before, so after my google dive I just thought I better make sure!

Wrote to a second friend from the Phillipines. She said that, no, it doesn’t mean anything bad in her generation (our age),

Perfect - and thanks again for reaching out to her on my behalf.

Never heard of someone being foster parents for a dog.........how long do you typically keep it?

On average, we usually have our foster dogs for about 2 months. We foster for a rescue organization in the Northeast. You'll find the majority of non profit rescue organizations do not have physical premises and depend on a network of volunteer foster homes to temporarily house the dogs. We mostly get mill mamas, and we will get a dog in and get her to the vet and have her evaluated, and treated for any existing health issues - such as ear or skin infections, being underweight or having worms. Have them given their vaccines. One of our fosters had cancer. Once we get them medically straight, they are scheduled for being spayed. Once they are cleared from that they are officially put up for adoption thru the rescue. During their time with us we introduce them to our dogs and family life. They learn to get along with other dogs, people and live in a home/family atmosphere. Often we have to house train and leash train them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter