Is trip insurance recommended?

mom2jp

Earning My Ears
I haven't seen it addressed anywhere yet - the travel agent we are working with keeps adding it into the total cost. Is it necessary? I know it would only be around $70, but every penny counts!

Every time I go I say I won't get the insurance and I do. It is worth my piece of mind to know that if anything happens and I have to cancel my trip or if something happens, I can recover some money. Just makes sense to me. I think you should do it.

The cancelation policy changes depending on how the trip was booked. You should find out what you would lose if you had to cancel and determine how likely you are to have to cancel, based on your family's health and other similar circumstances. We don't get the insurance, but we book through DC, which gives us a pretty good cancelation policy, and we drive, so we wouldn't lose the price of airline tickets.

and purchases it as well. (I have a toddler and won't risk having to cancel at the last minute and lose $$$$)

(1) Find out what type of cancellation is covered. Is it illness or injury to anyone in your party? Does it cover your immediate family? (If Mom or Grandma got really sick, would you still go?) What about jury duty? Terrorism? Etc.........

(2) Does anyone in your party have a pre-existing condition? If so, can you still get insurance?

(3) Are you travelling with kids? Kids are very prone to becoming ill at very inopportune times.

(4) Do you have airline tickets as part of your package? These become "reimbursable" if you have insurance. Otherwise, they are yours to keep. And use on a different trip. Anywhere that particular airline flies. They will only charge you and additional $100 per ticket as a change fee and the difference in the airfare. Not a great option.

(5) Read the brochure on the insurance. It should explain all of the above to you, and the limits. (Lost baggage, trip delay, etc are also included.)

I strongly suggest it with kids. Up to you otherwise.

Good Luck!

iluvtig

Our 1st trip to WDW was in Nov. 1999...we had just arrived on Tuesday, did MGM, there was a message for us to call home that night when we got back to the resort...it was my parents...my brother had been killed in a car accident earlier that day. We caught a flight out of Orlando at 2am back to NC where my parents live. If it weren't for insurance, we would have been out $2000. WE were refunded every penny and we re-schedule our trip for 3 months later. We are planning a trip to WDW in Dec...our 1st time back and I would never go anywhere without insurance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter