Is TSA pre-check worth it?

My boys and I have it and we did not get a letter. I got an automated phone call two days ago saying that mine would expire in 10 days. I renewed the 3 of us yesterday online. We were re-approved within hours. One son got a call yesterday and the other hasn’t gotten one yet.
The website did say email, not letter. Perhaps your email address has changed since you first applied?

Does anyone know if pre-check codes as travel on a chase credit card? Going for my interview soon and I want maximize my reward points lol.

I used mine last week and this is how it showed up. Only 1x the points. Is this what you were asking?

View attachment 576761

Sort of. Usually on Chase's website, you can see what category the charge falls under in your list of transactions. Just looking at the way the precheck is named, can't imagine that it will have the category as "travel". Thanks for posting what your charge looks like!

Sort of. Usually on Chase's website, you can see what category the charge falls under in your list of transactions. Just looking at the way the precheck is named, can't imagine that it will have the category as "travel". Thanks for posting what your charge looks like!
in this area is shows this and auto filled it as bills and utility

It’s worth it, and please learn the rules. The advantage of TSA precheck is foiled by those who don’t learn the rules and slow the lines down.

+1

As we’re waiting for ID check, I observe the scanner lines. When I see people taking off their shoes and fumbling to remove things from their pockets, I go to a different scanner line. I carry two things on me when I’m traveling, my wallet and phone. Both go into carryon after ID check. I once was stopped for a new belt with too much metal, so I don’t wear it on trips.

+1

As we’re waiting for ID check, I observe the scanner lines. When I see people taking off their shoes and fumbling to remove things from their pockets, I go to a different scanner line. I carry two things on me when I’m traveling, my wallet and phone. Both go into carryon after ID check. I once was stopped for a new belt with too much metal, so I don’t wear it on trips.

I’ll have to admit Orlando is one of the worst,,probably because it’s mostly vacation travelers. So many times people are pulling everything out of their bags and yes off with the shoes. My home airport of Newark, is a mix of business and vacation is not as bad.

I’ll have to admit Orlando is one of the worst,,probably because it’s mostly vacation travelers. So many times people are pulling everything out of their bags and yes off with the shoes. My home airport of Newark, is a mix of business and vacation is not as bad.
Not to mention all of the parents that wait until the last second to take the kid out and unload the stroller. People, you have been in line for 25+ minutes, what have you been doing? We were more considerate of others when our kids were young

+1

I actually bought a new belt just to wear when I fly. It is a Wilderness Frequent Flyer, completely metal free. Unfortunately still dense enough to set of the stupid, invasive body scanners.

I’m looking into getting this now. It says open to children over 12 on the site. Does this mean anyone under 12 can go through without one? I travel with just my daughter most times, but she’s only 10.

I’m looking into getting this now. It says open to children over 12 on the site. Does this mean anyone under 12 can go through without one? I travel with just my daughter most times, but she’s only 10.
Children under 12 go through Pre if they are travelling with an adult that has Pre on their boarding pass. My 8 and 5 year olds have never gone through anything other than the Pre lanes.

I applied for Global Entry last week thanks to this thread! We all got our conditional approved and are scheduled for interviews (whole family) in June. I would have never thought of doing it on my own, so thanks to everyone who recommended it.

(ETA: We're flying 3 times this summer, all through busy airports, so I feel like it will be worth it in just the first three months!)

Yes, it is definitely worth it, more so if you travel more than once a year and are going out of more busy airports. We have Global Entry that includes pre-check. Just want to mention something I don't think I saw anyone else warn you about. Please know that Pre-Check is NOT guaranteed. We found that out on our last Disney trip out of MCO Easter week in 2019. We did not get Pre-Check on that trip. I was not aware that you are not guaranteed at the time. I later spoke with someone I know who works with TSA and looked on their website. While you will probably get it every please note that you can be put in the regular line. I was told that MCO is more likely be denied for pre-check as it they randomly assign it and with busier airports it increases your risk of not getting it. Also you might show pre-check but some airports the lines aren't always open at quieter times, but with MCO that should not be an issue, but it could be early mornings at your departure airport.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequent...-precheckr-eligible-am-i-guaranteed-expedited

Yes, it is definitely worth it, more so if you travel more than once a year and are going out of more busy airports. We have Global Entry that includes pre-check. Just want to mention something I don't think I saw anyone else warn you about. Please know that Pre-Check is NOT guaranteed. We found that out on our last Disney trip out of MCO Easter week in 2019. We did not get Pre-Check on that trip. I was not aware that you are not guaranteed at the time. I later spoke with someone I know who works with TSA and looked on their website. While you will probably get it every please note that you can be put in the regular line. I was told that MCO is more likely be denied for pre-check as it they randomly assign it and with busier airports it increases your risk of not getting it. Also you might show pre-check but some airports the lines aren't always open at quieter times, but with MCO that should not be an issue, but it could be early mornings at your departure airport.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequent...-precheckr-eligible-am-i-guaranteed-expedited
This happened to me today in Milwaukee, they handed me a card to hand to the officer so I didn't have to remove shoes, pull out electronics, quart bag, etc but I still went through the same line as everyone without precheck.

FYI, the Pre-Check lane at MCO closes rather early; 8 pm if memory serves. We almost never get to use it on the way home, because we usually book the final flight of the day, which is the only non-stop to our home airport after 2 pm; it departs just before 10 pm. I've never seen the colored cards being used at MCO; IME when the lane is closed you get to do the whole drill.

PS: Something to note at certain times of year; at a lot of airports, the TSA folks choose to send large youth/school groups through the Pre-Check lines. My DD is on a travel sports team, and the whole group always get sent through, even though only a handful of the teens actually have Pre-Check status. We have a couple of boarding schools near here, and at Xmas break and right about now, those kids get sent through it as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter