Is Universal December 28-January 2 insane?

Lisaloo

DIS Veteran
We are taking a bonus vacation the week after Christmas and everyone is voting for Universal. We have never been during this time of year and wouldn't even consider doing Disney. We will stay onsite and spend 5 days in the parks. I have done zero research and decided to seek expert opinions here first. :)

If you stay onsite at one of the Deluxe resorts you may find it's ok. Having that Express Pass in hand will be key. Sure it's going to be busy, just like at WDW, so expect that same type of crowd. Having five days to do everything will also help. You might hope for nice weather and plan a couple afternoons at the pool too.

Make sure you make dining reservations if you want to eat at TS restaurants and eat off-times at CS to keep from long waits to order.

I went at that time this past year and had a great time. As long as you manage your expectations then you should be fine. Agreed with HM, eat at off peak times. With express pass you should be able to do everything in the 5 days no problem. Start with the Harry Potter rides first though (particularly gringotts) as they don't have express. Have fun!

Staying onsite at a hotel that offers express ( Not Cabana Bay) will help tremendously, but make no mistakes you will see the crowds like you would see at Disney .That timeframe is busy pretty much all over Orlando..Keep in mind that lines for bathrooms and just trekking from point A to B takes longer.Eat at off peak times.

Thank you! We would definitely stay deluxe and I will probably add club level for the kids (12, 14, 15 and 17). Our eating habits at Universal are different than WDW because we usually grab food on the go instead of having favorite or must-do restaurants. The crowds don't bother me, but I don't want to waste all of our time standing in lines. Sounds like we could manage.

year before last i started my stay at rpr on january 2nd and it was tough hotel and park wise.
crowds didn't let up until about the 6th.

i would have to look at a calendar to see how the days of the week will be for this year and next before i give a statement on what it could be like.

are there 6 in your party?
or is it just you and the 4 kids?

express lines were beneficial during the period i was in the crowds but the park itself was at a high crowd level which effected walking and getting something to eat there.
it was doable but wasn't used to the longer waits at some places.

from christmas day to new year day, room prices are much higher for the onsite hotels and parks tend to stay full.

if you have been to any parks during the week after christmas, this might not be any issue for you.

year before last i started my stay at rpr on january 2nd and it was tough hotel and park wise.
crowds didn't let up until about the 6th.

i would have to look at a calendar to see how the days of the week will be for this year and next before i give a statement on what it could be like.

are there 6 in your party?
or is it just you and the 4 kids?

express lines were beneficial during the period i was in the crowds but the park itself was at a high crowd level which effected walking and getting something to eat there.
it was doable but wasn't used to the longer waits at some places.

from christmas day to new year day, room prices are much higher for the onsite hotels and parks tend to stay full.

if you have been to any parks during the week after christmas, this might not be any issue for you.
There are six of us with DH. We have never been to the parks during this time of year, but it is our last family vacation with DS17 before he flies the coop and this is number one on the list. We just did WDW in July so we had the heat and the crowds to deal with...bleh.

try for booking club.
let the 4 kids graze in the lounge before you all do your meals on your trip......

i've taken 3 sons at times and club really saved me on the soda and water costs those times....

and took the edge off of meal costs in the parks and city walk...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter