• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Walt Disney World going to 100% security screenings at the parks?

I think I am the only person who is irritated by the bag check. Actually, I don't mind my bag being looked into, but I object that there is no universal procedure. I've had security guys go thru my bag, open my make up case etc and others peek in and move on. It's obnoxious. I don't feel any safer having a bag check at the parks.
Not the only one.

I really hate security theater. And if one guy goes through everything in my bag and the guy next to me only gives a quick glance at the bags going through his line, that is security theater.

That doesn't seem so bad. Based on this thread, I thought people were all getting screened, and that the wait was long.

In our group of 8 last month we usually had 1 or 2 people who had to go through the bag check line and the other 6 or 7 went through the no-bag line. Almost every time we entered a park (which was at least twice a day), one of our group in the no-bag line got pulled for the metal detector. That group was always finished with their screening and waiting before the 1 or 2 people got through the bag check line (and the bag check lines were never super long -- usually just 2 or 3 people at each table. The bag check process usually took less than 3 minutes...but we only had tiny bags/wristlets and avoided getting in line behind people with large or multiple bags. They were doing *very* thorough searches but because our bags basically held a phone, credit card, and a little cash, we just had to have them open and they basically waved us through. Not the case for people with large bags/backpacks.) After reading this thread I was worried about it taking forever to get through security, too, but it really wasn't an issue even at rope drop (but we always got to the parks about 45 minutes before rope drop to avoid the heaviest crowds).

Not the only one.

I really hate security theater. And if one guy goes through everything in my bag and the guy next to me only gives a quick glance at the bags going through his line, that is security theater.
There is some evidence that random yields better results than full on 100%.

MG

It's still random screenings- we were there last week. Security works best when the procedures seem a bit random to the observer. They use the same strategy in the highest security prisons- always varying the routine- to help prevent outbreaks.

Ya know, I'm not sure what they would do now... When he went they didn't make a big deal about it and he really enjoyed his special trip to the security command center of MK. ;)

I believe the federal LEOSA laws allow, not require, officers and military (active and retired) the privilege of carrying concealed weapons. However, I do not believe that it overrides "restrictions imposed by private persons or entities on their property." So technically the parks are Disney's property and the carry laws cannot override Disney's restrictions imposed on its own property.

So I do not think they need to ban police...

There is some evidence that random yields better results than full on 100%.

MG

I agree. And what Disney does is definitely random -- no rhyme or reason (we stood and watched one day trying to figure out what the "common thread" was of the people being pulled for the screenings. It was certainly nothing we could figure out.) My 15 year old daughter got pulled one day - she was wearing a form-fitting tank top and shorts -- no way could she have been hiding anything -- so I do believe it's a truly "random" screening. The one thing that impressed me was that one day we were already past the bag check/metal detector area when a security guard came up and pulled my husband aside. He very nicely asked him what was in his pocket (it wasn't bulging or anything -- I was surprised they could even tell he had something in his pocket). He told the guy it was a small ziploc bag of beef jerky and a small pack of fruit snacks. The guard asked him to empty his pockets. Once he saw that those were the only 2 things in his pocket, he just smiled and told my husband he had good taste in snacks and sent us on our way. I always kind of looked at the bag checks as a joke (I have a long story about being detained and questioned about a clothespin in my bag one time...not kidding...a *clothes pin*) but I have a little faith now that Disney security isn't all just for show. That guy obviously saw that my husband's pants were creasing/moving in an unusual way and followed through with his observation.

Many things have always gone on behind the scenes, things we would not likely see or take notice of and things in security rooms, monitoring.

AKK

I have believed the bag checks were just to slow people down so others can profile the crowd for odd behavior which is the real security. If the profilers want to slow down the crowd, they have the bag checkers take longer to look at bags.

I have believed the bag checks were just to slow people down so others can profile the crowd for odd behavior which is the real security. If the profilers want to slow down the crowd, they have the bag checkers take longer to look at bags.
Which would make sense if all of the bag checkers slowed down.

What really seems to happen is one line moves like lightning and the other crawls like a snail. I've had 5 people ahead of me and I've gotten through faster than my husband who was second in line. And I carry all of the stuff. So his bag is tiny. My bag checker was just moving through the line. Whereas his was slow, slow, slow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter