Is water damage ever covered after flood in basement?

... Most companies do not offer coverage for sump pump failures since they are so common. ...
Near perfect avoidance of water damage from a sump pump failure can be had with proper planning and using common methods. Specifically having a backup sump pump, backup power, and doing periodic testing of both pumps.[/QUOTE]

When my basement flooded I found out that not only was it not covered, but there was no such thing as flood insurance from my area. There was some government programs in place because there was widespread flooding at the time, but I wasn't lucky enough to qualify.

I would definitely check your policy, but if you can't find the information (or can't understand the wording, which is common) then I'd recommend calling them with a bit of a warning. If you can, call them and ask about coverage without giving them any details on who you are. If they say they don't offer flood insurance, you have your answer. A bit of background: When my area flooded a neighbor called his insurance company to ask if it was covered. He was told they didn't have flood insurance, and then his premiums went up. They also logged an attempted claim on his account. When he investigated, he found out that just his asking was enough to be classed as an attempted claim, and any claim attempts raise premiums. It's been 2 years, and he's still fighting with them.

Edit: Sorry, I just saw that you've already been dealing with the insurance company (I somehow missed that page of comments). Keep an eye on your premiums ;) I'll leave my comment in place in case it's of use to someone else.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter