Is your school district planning to start earlier this year?

will your school district start earlier this year?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • no idea yet.

Votes: 38 59.4%

• Total voters
the other day the state superintendent of education mentioned during a press conference that no one should assume our state's schools to start back up in the fall so it's anyone's guess at this point.
Ugh. I’m going to be looking into alternative ways to homeschool if that’s the case.

Like other posters, I don't see them going back early. If anything I think they will start late. We are supposed to start 8/31.

Well, nothing here can be done without the approval of the Teachers Union, and the Union hasn't even agreed to do online instruction yet which technically started Monday. So I don't see starting the school year earlier getting settled anytime soon.

I'm a teacher. In our contract, it indicates that the earliest teachers can start is the Monday before Labor day (I'm in Maine)

In our district in Georgia teachers are scheduled to go back July 27th, and students are scheduled to go back August 3rd. I think we might have a mutiny on our hands if they decided to start earlier.

Once we regain our travel freedoms- and who knows when that will be- many families around here are going to want time for a real summer vacation- pool, beach, parks, Disney, etc. They would not be happy if we go straight back to school as soon as travel restrictions are lifted and places open up again.

Once we regain our travel freedoms- and who knows when that will be- many families around here are going to want time for a real summer vacation- pool, beach, parks, Disney, etc. They would not be happy if we go straight back to school as soon as travel restrictions are lifted and places open up again.
Assuming they have the money to travel.

We will be lucky to start on time, there’s no way we can go back early with no vaccine ready. Right now we’re still working on slowing the spread and haven’t “flattened the curve” yet. There’s no way I can social distance with 30 students in my classroom.

We know most students aren’t getting the same education from home that they would get in the classroom but I truly believe they will be ok on the other side of this. Teachers will know students missed a chunk of material the year before and over time students will catch the skills they missed.

Assuming they have the money to travel.
Right. There will be a lot who do; it is a relatively wealthy area. And this is a huge swim/tennis area. Many neighborhoods have community swim and tennis. They are going to want to do that at least.

In any event, I don't think anyone is going to want to put their kids into crowded schools any earlier than they already have to.

All I’m hoping for is that the kids go back to school in the first place. Mine miss being able to go to school especially my younger one. She’s struggling a bit with the distance learning. She has assignments to do, but it’s missing the teacher aspect.

Schools here start at the beginning of August. Any earlier would push school start dates to July, with teachers reporting mid-July. I doubt they’ll get pushed earlier.

I certainly hope there isn’t a hold on school until a vaccine. You’re looking at the 2021-2022 academic year as the return to school if that’s the case.

No clue. Heck I just read that our dumb *** governor is actually thinking of reopening our schools back up in early May . He is a total idiot!

No clue. Heck I just read that our dumb *** governor is actually thinking of reopening our schools back up in early May . He is a total idiot!
What state are you in? Our governor just closed all schools for the rest of the year today.

Interesting...we're TN, so not that far. It'll be interesting to see how it all turns out. WhileI know it's better to be safe than sorry; I'm a little crushed that we won't be back this year. I'm worried for my kids at work (I'm a school counselor) and a little heartbroken that my kindergartener won't get her graduation and especially that my senior won't get his. I think part of what makes it so hard is that we had no idea the last time we saw our kids would be the last time dor the year and if I'm being honest last time ever for some (those who move, some of my 5th graders going to middle school etc.)

Good luck to you all. I think it's really getting to the point that it's going to be hard for any states to justify not canceling the rest of the year. I'm just hoping at this point we go back on time next year.

Im a teacher also. Its ashame but all you hear is Union wouldnt allow it. Union, union, union. Ive been off since mid March. My district closed late on a Friday with students already on their way home. We usually head back the week before labor day but i would have no issue going back 2 or 3 weeks earlier to tie up loose ends for this school year. However union would not allow this which i dont really understand. Like i said ive been off for a month already. Yes we are doing online but its not the same. Especially for me teaching math.

In a time like this each side should come to an agreement and do whats beneficial for the students.

Also my school still has full lockers. Students have many articles of clothings, shoes, books, etc to come pick up. So there are a lot of loose ends to tie up before we start the nexr school year.

I can't say with certainty when NYC public schools will re-open. Last I heard the matter was still being "discussed" between the mayor and governor. My guess is immediately after Labor Day which is the norm.

No final decision has been made according to the newsletter sent out by DGD's private school although we already were informed in Feb/Mar that an additional 2 weeks of school would be tacked on during her normal summer vacation. A Zoom conference is scheduled for next Monday between parents, teachers, and administrators and perhaps shortly after I'll know more.

With the evonomy in free fall, state governments aren't going to cough up the extra tens or hundreds (depending on your state) of millions of dollars it would take to pay teachers for the extra long school year. Teachers are paid for 10 months of work. If you extend the year, you have to change the contract & pay more. And I'm in a non-union state, btw, so this isn't about unions. It's a simple contract & pay issue that exists nationwide.

Yes, kids will have a lot of make-up next year because most aren't learning as much at home as they would in school. That's one reason it's so important for schools to be open next fall.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavi...es-especially-in-math-new-research-shows.htmlStudents face profound learning losses from school closures, especially in math, new research shows

By Betsy Hammond | The Oregonian/OregonLive
U.S. students including those in Oregon will pay a staggering academic toll from the prolonged coronavirus-induced school shutdown, new research conducted in Portland based on 5 million test scores indicates.

Compared to how much they would have learned in a normal school year, elementary and middle school students are likely to start school in the fall equipped with only about 70% of those reading and writing skills and with 50% or less of the expected gains in math, according to the research, conducted since the pandemic shuttered nearly all U.S. schools.
While the projected learning losses are estimates, it’s clear it will likely take years, even in a best-case scenario, to fully remedy the hit to most students’ academic trajectories, say researchers at testing outfit NWEA.

And children in families least equipped to help them during the unplanned and unprecedented pause in normal schooling, due to financial woes, lack of digital equipment or know-how and racial inequities, will surely be harmed the most, they and others say.

“This is the longest break in an education that any kid who has started kindergarten has experienced” in the history of modern U.S. education, says Chris Minnich, the test group’s chief executive. “It’s going to be really hard on teachers who are going to have wider gaps (in their students’ skill levels) than they ever have” this fall.
Minnich and officials at the Oregon Department of Education tried to offer hope, however, pointing to strategies they say could lessen academic erosion for this generation of students. They include:
  • Offer summer catch-up sessions to students most likely to fall far behind, including students of color, those in poverty, those whose families speak languages other than English and those with special education needs.
  • tart the school year a couple weeks early, when possible, or at least provide teachers with extra training and a wider range of curriculum materials during the ramp up to schools reopening.
  • Deploy additional testing shortly after school restarts so teachers can better match instruction to students’ needs.
  • Draw on community resources, whether that means posting math questions in grocery stores or sharing highly educated tech-savvy parents’ tips with adults in low-income communities, to help reinforce learning during time out of school.
  • In the fall, shift after-school programming such as Multnomah County’s SUN School operations to focus more on academics, given the need to make up instructional time.
The testing agency behind the new research, a non-profit based in Portland’s Old Town Chinatown neighborhood, sprouted as Northwest Evaluation Association in the 1970s from early testing expertise that had built up in Portland Public Schools, long before testing students in nearly every grade every year become standard practice in the U.S. Since its inception, the agency now known only by the initials NWEA has specialized in tests that measure each student’s growth over the course of a school year and from spring to fall, rather than how high or low each child compares at year’s end to a grade-level standard.

One in four U.S. children, including those in Portland, Woodburn and West Linn-Wilsonville and more than 20 other Oregon districts, attend schools that use the Portland agency’s signature test, Measures of Academic Progress. Students typically take those tests in the fall, the winter and again in the spring.
Scores on those tests and others have shown it’s normal for students to lose substantial ground on academics over the summer break, which typically lasts about 10 weeks. But this year’s unprecedented closures, which will subtract about 12 weeks from Oregon’s school year, mean students are expected to lose far more ground, as their skills will erode rather than grow during that time, despite the best efforts at distance learning, the testing outfit’s researchers say.
Although reading gains tend to tail off in the final months of the school year anyway, according to their research, the typical student’s math skills improve steadily all school year, which explains in part why the learning losses will be particularly severe in math, the researchers report.

In addition, most parents and other adults who try to help students stay on track while schools are shuttered are ill equipped to pick up math teaching where schools left off, said Beth Tarasawa, NWEA’s executive vice president of research.
“We know there are a fair amount of parents who, even if they have the will, will struggle to help their kids on the math side,” Tarasawa said.
During the current ad hoc distance learning period, students, families and educators are not, for the most part, behaving as if it’s full-on summer vacation, researchers acknowledge.
Most schools are trying to offer at least a couple hours of online instruction per day, though that is much less teaching time than during the regular school year. And parents are trying to engage their children in schoolwork, whether helping them log into and stick with school Zoom sessions or turning to gardening, cooking, story times and art projects to keep minds engaged and math skills and vocabularies strong.
But many parents are quickly realizing that teaching is best left to professionals, whose work they may not have fully appreciated. And children whose parents must work outside the home to maintain income or do essential work, those whose families lack enough up-to-date computers or other equipment to give each child one to use, those without reliable or any internet access, those who speak languages other than English and others with special circumstances are least likely to benefit from distance and at-home instruction.
Nothing, Minnich said, can match the power of a teacher interacting face-to-face with students he or she knows well.
“The antidote to this is time with teachers,” he said. “Teachers are the key to this. We need to get teachers in front of kids, and districts should think creatively about … time.”
The research findings are discouraging, Minnich acknowledged, but they’re important, he said. His nonprofit’s latest findings apply only to students in grades three through eight, he noted, but his research team will next dig into evidence about learning losses in kindergarten through grade two. In the meantime, he said, it’s important that policymakers, those with the power to shift money and personnel, and individual Oregon communities address the enormous loss of learning.
Officials at the Oregon Department of Education say they’re doing just that. Alexa Pearson, the agency’s director of standards and instructional support, read the research and doesn’t doubt its core findings. She said the department is providing school districts with guidance and resources to help them keep students learning as best as possible. And, she said, it will provide even more help when school restarts in the fall, including drawing on the best available suggestions and resources from the national associations of English and math teachers.
But, she noted, the department isn’t focused solely on helping schools support students academically.
“Students will more than likely experience consequences both academic and social-emotional from the impact of extended school closure due to COVID-19,” she said. So helping districts make sure students are fed and have emotional support are a big priority as well, Pearson said.
Dan Farley, the department’s director of assessment, says testing to measure learning loss should not be the top priority when schools re-open. Teachers checking in with students emotionally and getting to know them as people should come first, he said.
But without spring test scores to give teachers and curriculum leaders information about where their incoming students stand, it will be important to figure that out early in the year, he said. That will enable instruction to start where students are, not where state standards say they’re expected to be. And to that end, he said, he has pointed districts to testing resources and is working to make a whole suite of progress-monitoring tests from the consortium that makes Oregon’s official end-of-year standardized tests available for free to all Oregon districts.

For some students, taking a test designed for the grade they were in when school closed rather than the grade they’ve just entered may make sense, given what the research show about learning losses, Farley said.
Districts could use those tests “from the prior grade level to identify areas where student learning requires the most attention and focus instructional time and resources getting students caught up in those areas,” he said.
Contrary to conventional wisdom, research based on Measures of Academic Progress test results and other tests does not indicate that low-income students and students of color lose more ground than higher income and white students during the summer. Instead, most racial and income-linked achievement gaps stem from early childhood, then expand while children and teens are in school.
Widely circulated findings show the so-called “summer slide” disproportionately harms disadvantaged students and largely exempts offspring of well-off families. But that conclusion was largely based on findings from limited testing in Baltimore in the 1980s and has been debunked, Tarasawa and other researchers have found.

Megan Kuhfeld, an NWEA research scientist and lead author of the new research, said when she and other researchers examined more sophisticated test results from much larger groups of students, they didn’t “find gaps widen by race, ethnicity or income status” during the summer.
Especially among elementary and middle school children, “what we see typically is that parents of all different class levels treat summer as a vacation, where kids get to be kids and not do academics,” she said.
The situation will be very different during the current school closures, however, she and Tarasawa said. Both said they are certain that academic gaps based on race and income will widen – and need to be prioritized as policymakers, educators and lawmakers work on fixes.
“During this time of really unequal access to technology, of parents losing jobs … we’re going to see large variability by poverty and race,” Kuhfeld said. “Middle class parents are more able to support their kids and provide the technology and internet to keep their kids learning. Poorer families are trying to put food on the table ... Poorer families are much more hurt by these school closures.”

Oregon schools and educators are going to need to prepare for a years-long response to repair the damage, Tarasawa said, and researchers, lawmakers and policymakers will need to support them.
Teachers will face greater demands and will need extra information and help, Kuhfeld said. “It’s easy to say this but not easy to implement it. Teachers must get preparation to teach both on- and off-grade standards, with so many kids coming in a grade or two behind.”
She said it will be imperative “to do the best we can to support teachers in doing that. That’s not going to be easy. But that is what kids need.”

With the evonomy in free fall, state governments aren't going to cough up the extra tens or hundreds (depending on your state) of millions of dollars it would take to pay teachers for the extra long school year. Teachers are paid for 10 months of work. If you extend the year, you have to change the contract & pay more. And I'm in a non-union state, btw, so this isn't about unions. It's a simple contract & pay issue that exists nationwide.

Yes, kids will have a lot of make-up next year because most aren't learning as much at home as they would in school. That's one reason it's so important for schools to be open next fall.
The mayor of NY was just on TV talking about municipal budget cuts. Really didn't hear what areas will be effected but yeah it's time to start paying the bill, sigh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter