It’s Always Sunny in California!..Eh?...L’il Bit!

I would love to stay onsite, but when we went in 2011 we discovered the kids suites at the Hojo right down the road and with 2 adults and 3 kids they just make more sense for us. They offer more space and cost less, they also have 2 bathrooms!!:thumbsup2 The walk to DL/DCA is only around 8 min. I believe. There is a pirate themed "waterpark" onsite and a pool that the kids love as well.

We do get 1 early admission to DL with our tickets so that helps. We are doing 5 days so hopefully will get alot done. I know some things are down for refurb, which is a bummer, but should still be plenty to do!! :)

Wow! That IS an early flight. Great idea to stay near the airport. :thumbsup2

The hotel looks nice - the planes overhead remind me of the Hyatt MCO, :rotfl2: and a hotel near Charles de Gaulle airport where we had the feeling the planes were landing on the roof.
The pool looks nice empty - but I don't blame Claire for not wanting to share it with a lot of people. :goodvibes

Looks like a great start. I would have loved to go to a hotel just to be able to swim when I was kid. A mini vacation for Claire. And, I'm guessing Grandma probably spoiled her a little too?

I would love to stay onsite, but when we went in 2011 we discovered the kids suites at the Hojo right down the road and with 2 adults and 3 kids they just make more sense for us. They offer more space and cost less, they also have 2 bathrooms!!:thumbsup2 The walk to DL/DCA is only around 8 min. I believe. There is a pirate themed "waterpark" onsite and a pool that the kids love as well.

We do get 1 early admission to DL with our tickets so that helps. We are doing 5 days so hopefully will get alot done. I know some things are down for refurb, which is a bummer, but should still be plenty to do!! :)

I have heard really good things about the Hojo and if I were to stay offsite, that would be one I would choose. But after staying onsite and touring some offsite places while down there, I am a HUGE fan of onsite. Looking at the maps I have seen there are only a few offsite ones I would even consider...yes, I have turned into a snob on my very first trip. :rotfl2:

Wow! That IS an early flight. Great idea to stay near the airport. :thumbsup2

The hotel looks nice - the planes overhead remind me of the Hyatt MCO, :rotfl2: and a hotel near Charles de Gaulle airport where we had the feeling the planes were landing on the roof.
The pool looks nice empty - but I don't blame Claire for not wanting to share it with a lot of people. :goodvibes

It was early...and of course I never sleep well before a vacation. :(
Claire enjoyed her pool time and it's always fun to get away for a night, even if it isn't too far away. I may look at staying somewhere local this summer for a night here or there to just get away.

Looks like a great start. I would have loved to go to a hotel just to be able to swim when I was kid. A mini vacation for Claire. And, I'm guessing Grandma probably spoiled her a little too?

That was always a highlight for us as kids too. Swimming was rare when we were really little so a hotel with a pool was paradise.

That hotel looks really nice. I would have been in my element with the planes being so low. I love doing some plane spotting. The pool is actually quite decent for an airport hotel.

Corinna

Hey Jen - I made it over!
I agree - good call to stay near the airport the night before such an early flight! Especially in winter, with the crazy weather this year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a Matterhorn bruise! My family didn't believe me! I got one from the Grizzly River Run too!

So you were leaving DL about a week before we arrived. I'll bet you have some awesome pictures!

I have also heard very good things about HoJo and I'd stay there if we weren't onsite too. (I'm so glad we have DVC!)

That hotel looks really nice. I would have been in my element with the planes being so low. I love doing some plane spotting. The pool is actually quite decent for an airport hotel.

Corinna

I like watching planes too for some reason.

Hey Jen - I made it over!
I agree - good call to stay near the airport the night before such an early flight! Especially in winter, with the crazy weather this year.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a Matterhorn bruise! My family didn't believe me! I got one from the Grizzly River Run too!

So you were leaving DL about a week before we arrived. I'll bet you have some awesome pictures!

I have also heard very good things about HoJo and I'd stay there if we weren't onsite too. (I'm so glad we have DVC!)

That Matterhorn is crazy! Not a fun ride at all! I can say i did it and never need to again! :rotfl:

That Matterhorn is crazy! Not a fun ride at all! I can say i did it and never need to again! :rotfl:

I really used to enjoy the Matterhorn. But I was one and done on our last trip. I'd probably try one more time if it's open on our next trip, but I'm not holding out much hope. Katie liked it though.

I really used to enjoy the Matterhorn. But I was one and done on our last trip. I'd probably try one more time if it's open on our next trip, but I'm not holding out much hope. Katie liked it though.

After being home, I have heard from a few people that there are 2 sides...only one was open when we were there....and I guess the other side is slightly smoother. Not sure I want to brave it or not though. :rotfl:

Thanks for the heads up Jen. I can't wait to read about DL and your WDW trip!!!! Yay!!!! :cool1:

After being home, I have heard from a few people that there are 2 sides...only one was open when we were there....and I guess the other side is slightly smoother. Not sure I want to brave it or not though. :rotfl:

I'd rather brave the bad side than he long line. It was 45 minutes during EE. :faint: So we were stuck with whatever single rider got us!

The first time I rode on the left side - thought I was going to end up in traction! Second time we said we wanted the right and it was much better.

I'm here, Jen. I'll be back to read in a bit (by the way I started my PTR...link in my signature).

Smart idea to spend the night near the airport before your very early flight (especially with the winter that we have all had to suffer through this year).

I'm glad Claire got some swim time in.

Can't wait to read more.

Ugh- the Matterhorn! It was the ride I was MOST excited about- because I saw it on tv when I was a kid and wanted to go sooooo badly! But- OUCH! That ride HURTS! They need more padding in the cars or something. It is ROUGH! So I am with you- one and done!

Checking in all caught up.

I hear you on getting close to the airport and spending the night before. What a treat for Claire.

Looking forward to DL- I am going back in the fall so looking forward to hearing your experiences.

I'm in!!! I can't wait to see the words that go along with all the pictures that I've been seeing! :happytv:

Thanks for the heads up Jen. I can't wait to read about DL and your WDW trip!!!! Yay!!!! :cool1:

Yay!!!!

Jen,
Sorry I am late to the party:confused3 oh trip report!!:rotfl2: Can't wait to hear more!!

Welcome...I am just getting started!

I'd rather brave the bad side than he long line. It was 45 minutes during EE. :faint: So we were stuck with whatever single rider got us!

we did single rider too.

The first time I rode on the left side - thought I was going to end up in traction! Second time we said we wanted the right and it was much better.

Yes, we rode the left side too.

I'm here, Jen. I'll be back to read in a bit (by the way I started my PTR...link in my signature).

Smart idea to spend the night near the airport before your very early flight (especially with the winter that we have all had to suffer through this year).

I'm glad Claire got some swim time in.

Can't wait to read more.

Hi Kathy! Claire loves any swim time she can get.

Ugh- the Matterhorn! It was the ride I was MOST excited about- because I saw it on tv when I was a kid and wanted to go sooooo badly! But- OUCH! That ride HURTS! They need more padding in the cars or something. It is ROUGH! So I am with you- one and done!

Yes, it is just classic Disneyland and such a disappointment.

Checking in all caught up.

I hear you on getting close to the airport and spending the night before. What a treat for Claire.

Looking forward to DL- I am going back in the fall so looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Welcome! I remembered things you wrote about as I toured around too!

I'm in!!! I can't wait to see the words that go along with all the pictures that I've been seeing! :happytv:

There was a lot of laughing going on on this trip! :rotfl2:

Feb. 23, 2014, Sunday

I slept for about 3 more hours after I turned the TV off and woke with my stomach really hurting. I tossed and turned, but by 3 or so I just couldn’t take it and found the keys to the car and went out and dug through my suitcase for some antacid. That did help quite a bit.
By then I gave up on trying to get anymore sleep. I knew I would have to be up in about an hour to shower, so I just jumped in then and started getting ready. Claire also barely slept that night and I think it was because she was worried about me being away for a week.

After we were all ready and the car was packed back up, we headed over to the airport. I think we got there just before 5.
I drove, so I jumped out and got my suitcases out and gave Claire plenty of hugs and kisses and left them then to check my bags in. It was right after that I realized I still had my big bulky winter coat. UGH! My plan was to leave it in the car and just wear my sweatshirt. Now I would have this stupid big thing taking up space!

I went through security, which wasn’t too bad, though I had to have my head patted down. I think it was because I was wearing a barrette in my hair. They asked if I wanted to do it in private and I said no. LOL
After that I found a spot and jammed my big coat in my carryon.
I found the store and bought a diet coke and a few power bars and ate one while I waited.

I read emails and posted on facebook.
I watched this girl from afar. I swear this is the girl from Hardcore Pawn. She looked so much like her and a guy was talking to her and he took her picture. I also heard her mention the name Josh, which is what I think her brothers name is (Skip has since told me her brother’s name is Seth). I snuck a couple of pictures of her.

I even walked to the window to see if I could see her better, but I couldn’t. My apology if this is not her to whoever it is.

Our plane was here and I did get a shot of that.

Soon it was time for one last potty break and time to board. I got on it to find the 1st row with a vacant seat and I went to sit there for the extra leg room. The flight attendant told me my carry on had to go in the next bin back and my backpack had to go in the overhead as well for takeoff and landing, but I could have it then while flying. I thought about it and decided that would work and be worth it for the extra leg room and aisle seat.

As I sat there, a guy with a Seeing Eye dog came on and he sat across the aisle from me.

The flight was great and I did well with the length. I had worried about these longer flights, but I listened to a book on my phone and it went by well enough. We were arriving in Denver about 30 minutes or so early, which was great as I had a transfer and worried about the time. I didn’t want to be running to the next gate.
As we came down I tried to peer a bit out the window and it seemed like we were in the clouds forever and then we touched down. Holy cow, that wasn’t clouds, it was fog! It was very thick and eerie.

We proceeded to our gate and I was the 3rd person off the plane. Wow, that was neat. I let my 2 row mates go first because they were worried about their connecting flight as well.
I was happy to have enough time to use the restroom and then go to my next gate and stand a stretch a bit. Skip timed it perfectly and called me then and I talked to him a few minutes.

I took a shot of my next plane.

Soon they were calling for us to line up and then to board. Once again I got the same exact front row aisle seat. I loved this spot. The only downer was I couldn’t see out the window very well.
As we flew along I could tell there was some very beautiful scenery, but I couldn’t reach over 2 strangers to get pictures. It did look like we flew over canyons and mountains and from the l’il bit I could see, it was gorgeous.

After a few more hours it was time to land again and once again we were running a bit early. I turned on my phone and a second later Stacy texted that she was just leaving her house. I told her I just landed but still had to get off and get my bags and she said she would probably be there about the time I got my bags.

I was the first one off the plane this time…..that just seems so weird! But I must say I really liked it too.
I headed down to baggage claim and no signs of the bags coming out yet, so I stepped outside. AHHHHHH! Warmth! It was so nice to be outside and not freezing my fanny off!
After a few minutes I headed in and waited for the bags. I texted back and forth with Stacy and she had just parked. My bag came out at that same time so I grabbed it and headed outside to wait. I texted her that I went back outside and the next minute she came out to join me. She had been going in one door as I walked out another. We chatted a minute and hugged and then went to her car, which was just across the street in the garage. We loaded her trunk and off we went. She was there such a short time that they didn’t even charge her for parking, which was nice. Everything was timing out great!
We then were on our way towards Venice Beach and I pulled out my camera and my phone and took some pictures as we drove along.

Palm Trees!!!!!

Getting Close!!!!!!

How strange is this? A ballerina clown, not something you see daily in my neck of the woods.

I was expecting to see some really bad traffic, but actually it wasn’t too bad. Stacy said it was really good this day and not the norm. I do think they all drive crazy in CA though. At times I just shut my eyes. LOL.
As we approached the Venice Beach area we started looking for parking, but Stacy’s favorite free lot was full. We went through anyways and some big SUV was trying to squeeze into a spot that would’ve been perfect for Stacy’s car. Oh well, we went on and looked at some more lots. Everything seemed to be full, which she said is also not the norm. I guess all the traffic that was missing on the roads were parked at Venice Beach. We did find an alley that had parking and we were able to squeeze into a spot. I was amazed at how narrow this alley was and still allowed parking.

It even had meters, so I knew parking was allowed, but it just was crazy! We put in enough for just over 2 hours and we headed towards the beach. Lunch was needed by me and Stacy was hungry too.

The view from our parking spot.

My first look towards the Pacific ocean!

There it is!!!!! The Beach!

You tease! You leave us hanging with that tiny glimpse of the beach! :p

What a bummer you didn't have a window seat. There's a lot of scenery to see between Denver and LA. And double bummer that it was foggy in Denver. Did you get to see the mountains at all?

And I forgot to mention earlier......... I love the photo of you on the beach in your first post! :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter