Italy

Chaoster

Mouseketeer
Anyone know if you need an International drivers license to rent a car in Italy? And do you need to carry your passport on you?
I am getting conflicting answers to both questions.

Anyone know if you need an International drivers license to rent a car in Italy? And do you need to carry your passport on you?
Ask the US embassy in Italy or US State department.

You do need an International drivers license-available at AAA. And when in a foreign country you ALWAYS keep your passport(or photocopy) with you.

You can get an International Permit through AAA --it translates your US license. I've never had anyone ask for it when I've rented cars in Italy. Get the Maserati! Yes, have a copy of your passport or the real deal on you.13AC07D2-F6EE-443B-AE40-9A0A284511F7.jpeg

Last edited:
:confused3 Why not just plan to go ahead and get the license (no test required, just an application and fee) and carry a COPY of your Passport with you at all times (keeping the original in the hotel safe). It’s simple enough to do.

I don't know for sure about the drivers license thing, but most all European countries allow just a regular drivers license so I'd venture a guess and say it should be OK in Italy. As for the Passport, it is a very small object that can be safely carried on your person. Just take it with you and then if you run into some problem that might require an official ID you have it with you. Money belts are something I used a lot in Europe for valuables, cash and passports. it was always hidden on me and was not visible and nothing that you might put down and then forget to pick it back up in different locations. I just had excess cash in it but always had some money in my pockets, divided up evenly in each available pocket so if I was pick pocketed it would only be a small amount of my money. That stuff can happen when you are concentrating on all the cool stuff in those different countries.

We spent 10 days in Tuscany last year and left our passports in the room every day. Never needed it. We had drivers everywhere so no licenses necessary.

We spent 10 days in Tuscany last year and left our passports in the room every day. Never needed it. We had drivers everywhere so no licenses necessary.
Regarding the passport. it's likely you'll never need it. But it's good advice to have a copy with you at all times -no one ever knows when they'll need it -but if you ever do, you'll be happy you had it with you. Not as if a piece of paper is a hassle to tuck away somewhere.....

I often post about Italy as we generally go at least twice a year. My mom was born there as a matter of fact. We generally rent a car from Hertz and have never been asked to SHOW the international driver's license. However, it is supposedely a requirement in Italy and we have been asked to show it during a random traffice stop. We were not speeding or anything, but sometimes on side roads, there are police that pull cars over at random to do a document check. I would go to AAA and get one.

Don't know about the passport for sure. We generally do not carry it around with us unless it is a day we are switching hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter