Item of value found at Wilderness Lodge

diznygirl said:
Well, that's your loss. The chances are very very good that someone turned it in to the front desk. They probably had it for a long time hoping someone would ask.

Well said. ITA.

These threads crack me up. I lost a diamond gold tennis bracelet in Vero at Disney in 2000. It was worth back then around 800. Not only did I never report it missing, I never followed up with the front desk. Honestly what are the chances of anyone finding it and turning it in or if they did a worker didn't lift it?? I think what OP did was more than most would do...

Most people don't have such a cavalier attitude about their items. I don't big myself jewelry so that would have been a gift in my world. Gifts are treasures because of the giver. We are about 50/50 on things being returned or stolen. Stolen=Pal Mickey and a lanyard of pins that someone picked up and saw us looking for because we weren't even out of the theater row before we were searching. Returned=game boy and wallet.

People who are cracked up by such things tend to be the type who justify keeping things in my experience. I'll keep my righteous indignation. And return things I find.

These threads crack me up. I lost a diamond gold tennis bracelet in Vero at Disney in 2000. It was worth back then around 800. Not only did I never report it missing, I never followed up with the front desk. Honestly what are the chances of anyone finding it and turning it in or if they did a worker didn't lift it?? I think what OP did was more than most would do...

Seriously? You have an $800 bracelet and don't report it missing on the possibility that someone wouldn't turn it in? Most people are honest in those situations. Sad to have such a cynical view of the world.

Seriously? You have an $800 bracelet and don't report it missing on the possibility that someone wouldn't turn it in? Most people are honest in those situations.

Maybe some people can afford to just lose an $800 bracelet? :confused3

Not me! But then I don't think I would take an $800 bracelet on vacation with me. I'd leave it home, in the safe.

If it were me and I'd lost an $800 bracelet I would definitely go to lost and found and ask about it, probably more than once, and/or give them my contact info in case someone did turn it in.

Heck, I'd do that for an $80 bracelet and probably even for an $8 bracelet. :)

I remember once losing an ink pen I had purchased in Cozumel. It was in a store bag, with some other things, and it must have slipped out in the x-ray machine you have to put your stuff through when you get back on board a cruise ship. I went to lost and found a couple times, asking about it, but never did get it back. I was bummed, it was a cute pen and I couldn't just go out and buy another one to replace it.

your far more optimistic than I will ever be! ::)

There are decent people in the world that do the right thing everyday.

My family inadvertently has left behind cameras on two occasions, once at Epcot and the other at IOA. Both times, someone found them and turned them in to lost and found. :goodvibes If we hadn't bothered to check lost and found, we wouldn't have known that someone did the right thing.

RitaZ. said:

My family inadvertently has left behind cameras on two occasions, once at Epcot and the other at IOA. Both times, someone found them and turned them in to lost and found. :goodvibes If we hadn't bothered to check lost and found, we wouldn't have known that someone did the right thing.

Thank you for posting your story. And I agree, there are plenty of people who do the right thing every day. Find something? Turn it in immediately. It's not hard. This is the kind of stuff most of us learned in elementary school.

Thank you for posting your story. And I agree, there are plenty of people who do the right thing every day. Find something? Turn it in immediately. It's not hard. This is the kind of stuff most of us learned in elementary school.

:thumbsup2

Unless you have blisters. Then you wait 3 weeks. ;)

All the bashing on this thread is unbelievable. :( Very sad actually. Mods need to just shut it down.

All the bashing on this thread is unbelievable. :( Very sad actually. Mods need to just shut it down.

Completely agree! Was it the most appropriate way to handle it?! Probably not but to assume OP is a cold hearted thief? Glad none of them have ever made a mistake!

I lost my camera at WDW (thinking a bus bench), checked with lost and found for 5 days, unfortunately no one turned it in. I wasn't so upset about the camera as I was the photos I had taken were now gone.

I lost my cell phone one day at a grocery store 3 blocks from my house. I have a "call if lost" number in my contacts which is my daughter.

Someone found it but instead of just turning it into the lost/found at the store, they drove all the way home 45 minutes away and called me. I'm grateful they called, but sort of would have been nice if they would have turned it into the store 3 blocks away. (still grateful though)

You very well may have gotten that bracelet back had you filled out a lost item form. Had I found that bracelet, I would have turned it in as I'm sure many others here would have done. Granted, not everyone is honest, but a lot of people are.

Some things I've found over the years that I've turned in:

I found a wallet sitting in the snow while skiing down a ski run.

Back in the mid-80's when I was a college student riding on the Tube in London I found a Nikon camera bag with a very expensive Nikon Camera, a dozen different lenses, and $2000 in traveler's checks (along with the check copies that the person was supposed to keep separate from the checks so that they could file a claim and get the checks replaced if they were lost or stolen. Well, the person just had everything together which didn't do them any good with regards to getting the checks replaced easily.

DD and I found a wallet in the top part (where you'd sit a child) of a shopping cart at Target when we opened up the cart. There was lots of cash in the wallet, credit cards and an Arizona driver's license. We took it to the customer service desk and then checked with customer service on our way out of the store to see if the person came back to get the wallet and found out that she had come back in a panic and was so very relieved and thankful.

DS and I found a wallet on a roller coaster ride at our local amusement park. DS sat on it and felt it. The ride took off, so after we were finished, we headed off the ride to the counter where they sell the ride pictures to turn it in. As we were walking in that direction, a frantic woman and man were walking against the crowd back towards the ride. I asked if they had lost something and the woman said "Yes! A man's wallet!" I handed it to her and again, they were so thankful and relieved.

Now, I've also lost a lot of things and also had those things turned in. I believe in karma. During that same few months I was in London, on my last day there before traveling to Greece, I left my backpack on the platform where I had been sitting and reading while waiting for the subway train. I didn't realize I had left my backpack on the platform until I had gotten back to my dorm room. My backpack had my camera, my wallet, and my passport in it because I had just went to the American Express office to get some Greek Drachma to get me started with when I landed in Athens the next day. Well, without my passport, I would have been stuck in London.

I took the Tube back to the station and the backpack was not where I had left it. I asked a worker who was emptying trash and he directed me to take the escalator upstairs to the manager's office, but he said since it was now after 5:00pm on a Friday, everyone was probably gone and I'd have to wait until Monday. I was :sad: and scared because after that night, I had nowhere to stay and no means to get money since my ID, credit card, cash and passport were all in my backpack.

I took the escalator up to the top floor, and saw that the office door was ajar. I knocked on it and the door kind of pushed open. There was a conductor and some other guy going through my backpack trying to figure out how to contact me, which they would not have been able to do back then. Well, they had my US address on my passport, but no London address and that was before cell phones. I was sooooo thankful to have gotten it back! Imagine if someone decided to take it home with them to try and locate me??? I don't know what I would have done. It was karma for turning in that nice camera, lenses and checks just a couple of months earlier! ::yes::

I went to get a cart at Safeway... of course outside only carts, and I found a tablet. Not sure if it was an Ipad or whatever but 2 guys were walking in for their shift to start and I handed it to them. I felt majorly guilty that I didnt turn it into someone else thinking they could steal it. As I was walking inside with my cart, I saw a manager walking by with the tablet and was happy that they did the right thing.

Its just what your suppose to do!

Granted, not everyone is honest, but a lot of people are.

Some things I've found over the years that I've turned in:

I found a wallet sitting in the snow while skiing down a ski run.

Back in the mid-80's when I was a college student riding on the Tube in London I found a Nikon camera bag with a very expensive Nikon Camera, a dozen different lenses, and $2000 in traveler's checks (along with the check copies that the person was supposed to keep separate from the checks so that they could file a claim and get the checks replaced if they were lost or stolen. Well, the person just had everything together which didn't do them any good with regards to getting the checks replaced easily.

DD and I found a wallet in the top part (where you'd sit a child) of a shopping cart at Target when we opened up the cart. There was lots of cash in the wallet, credit cards and an Arizona driver's license. We took it to the customer service desk and then checked with customer service on our way out of the store to see if the person came back to get the wallet and found out that she had come back in a panic and was so very relieved and thankful.

DS and I found a wallet on a roller coaster ride at our local amusement park. DS sat on it and felt it. The ride took off, so after we were finished, we headed off the ride to the counter where they sell the ride pictures to turn it in. As we were walking in that direction, a frantic woman and man were walking against the crowd back towards the ride. I asked if they had lost something and the woman said "Yes! A man's wallet!" I handed it to her and again, they were so thankful and relieved.

Now, I've also lost a lot of things and also had those things turned in. I believe in karma. During that same few months I was in London, on my last day there before traveling to Greece, I left my backpack on the platform where I had been sitting and reading while waiting for the subway train. I didn't realize I had left my backpack on the platform until I had gotten back to my dorm room. My backpack had my camera, my wallet, and my passport in it because I had just went to the American Express office to get some Greek Drachma to get me started with when I landed in Athens the next day. Well, without my passport, I would have been stuck in London.

I took the Tube back to the station and the backpack was not where I had left it. I asked a worker who was emptying trash and he directed me to take the escalator upstairs to the manager's office, but he said since it was now after 5:00pm on a Friday, everyone was probably gone and I'd have to wait until Monday. I was :sad: and scared because after that night, I had nowhere to stay and no means to get money since my ID, credit card, cash and passport were all in my backpack.

I took the escalator up to the top floor, and saw that the office door was ajar. I knocked on it and the door kind of pushed open. There was a conductor and some other guy going through my backpack trying to figure out how to contact me, which they would not have been able to do back then. Well, they had my US address on my passport, but no London address and that was before cell phones. I was sooooo thankful to have gotten it back! Imagine if someone decided to take it home with them to try and locate me??? I don't know what I would have done. It was karma for turning in that nice camera, lenses and checks just a couple of months earlier! ::yes::

I think your post illustrates why so many here are surprised that the item in question wasn't turned over immediately. I simply try to put myself in the person's shoes and think about how frantic I'd be if I lost something of value. It's not about being perfect or never making mistakes.

My dh lost a cell phone at WL...it was a week old and never turned into lost and found. ..hmmmm maybe I should have tried other avenues to find it????

There are decent people for sure and I am completely one of them. I found a wallet with 200.00 in it at a craft fair several years ago. Turned it in immediately but wouldn't leave the lost and found until the person was paged. I was convinced someone would take it! See there I go being cynical again. :) I just honestly never even thought to report the bracelet gone....I really never even thought someone would EVER turn it in. Maybe they did? Well if so eventually a CM had their day made when it was never collected.

Exactly! Hence my original post that these threads crack me up...take a life of their own in the complete opposite direction..

I will chime in about getting stuff returned while at WDW. I left my phone at a charging station at the airport in Orlando. Someone picked it up, saw an entry for "Dad" in my contacts and called him, asking how he'd like it handled. My dad asked the man to leave it at airport L&F and said he'd let me know. Dad called the AKL and told me what he'd done (thankfully, because I was in a panic and had no luck calling around on my own).

Next I called Magical Express to see if I could get a ride to the airport to pick up my phone. A very nice young man told me he'd bring the phone to my room at AKL and I didn't need to make the trip. The only hangup was when I wanted to leave a tip for him at the Bell desk since I was going to dinner, I was told that under no circumstance would ME ever bring me a phone, that they weren't allowed to do that. I had a second round of panic, but the supervisor found a work order or whatever they call it for the trip to AKL. She then took the tip and said she'd give it to him when he came with my phone. I hope he got the tip because I got my phone back like he said I would.

The upshot is I did get my item back, but the guideline for retrieval of lost items at Orlando airport isn't totally clear imo, and you'd think it would be, one way or another. Had there been a hard and fast rule against delivery by ME, the airport would have mailed me the phone, no problem.

There are decent people for sure and I am completely one of them. I found a wallet with 200.00 in it at a craft fair several years ago. Turned it in immediately but wouldn't leave the lost and found until the person was paged. I was convinced someone would take it! See there I go being cynical again. :) I just honestly never even thought to report the bracelet gone....I really never even thought someone would EVER turn it in. Maybe they did? Well if so eventually a CM had their day made when it was never collected.

See that doesn't make sense to me. Why assume that you are the only honest person in the world? You'd have returned the bracelet, but you don't think that anybody else at WDW would have done the same thing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter