Items taken from room šŸ˜”

princessfionasmom

DIS Veteran
Long story but has anyone else had anything taken from their room by housekeeping and then had them claim they thought it was trash? It wasnā€™t even our towels and trash day and they came in and took a bag off our bed with my husbandā€™s medications (he has a lot of meds and had just filled his pill tray). And not like minor meds but stuff for his end stage pulmonary fibrosis, congestive heart failure, high blood pressure, immunosuppressants. Stuff he canā€™t live without. Iā€™m so angry about it and all management said was itā€™s not the first time it happened and they are sorry. They try to train the employees no to touch stuff that isnā€™t in the trash can. I canā€™t believe this was the excuse. Then all the could offer for me now having to take 3 days out of my vacation to get his meds is a 3 night stay at the contemporary. The stress this has caused me is insane (Iā€™m his caregiver so this all falls on me). I guess I just need to vent. I would also like to hear from anyone else whoā€™s had an experience similar and is there anyone else above these people I can call. I feel like ā€œit happensā€ is not good enough. They shouldnā€™t be coming into our rooms when itā€™s not trash day. Rant over . . . For now.

Me, personally. if all of what you say is accurate, I would have first called the Sheriffs department, then let it roll from there... not cool. I hope your husband is OK. Sure, a bag of Rx scripts mistaken as trash... poppycock. Sorry this happened to you.

I am so sorry this happened - I agree it is inexcusable for them to take something, anything, off the bed and dispose of it. FYI, trash is collected from rooms every day as part of (or as the excuse for) the daily security check that's been in place for a couple of years now. So before we leave the room each day, we secure or put out of sight anything we don't want them to move or have easy access to.

Last edited:
Many years ago I had a silver necklace 'disappear' from our room at the Poly. I'd placed it in an ashtray, on the nightstand, and put a book over it. When we got back from breakfast, the room was made up - but the book was on the dresser, and the ashtray was empty.

My DH immediately called MouseKeeping and I went to the front desk. They were concerned, but basically said there was nothing they could do. If it was an 'honest mistake' the trash was long gone, and if it wasn't, the best they could 'legally' do was ask about it, but we were told, more or less, "don't hold your breath".

Thanks everyone. I did file a police report with the sheriffs office because they are expensive meds. Heā€™s on so many we couldnā€™t fit them in the safe. We are in FL for 3 weeks so we needed all his bottles of meds. There was also an Apple Watch and an iPad Pro sitting out that they didnā€™t touch. I knew they took the trash every day but it goes to show they clearly shouldnā€™t if they canā€™t just stick to the trash cans. We just got too comfortable and didnā€™t put out the do not disturb that I usually do on vacations. I spent today at the VA in lake Nona getting his VA meds and CVS overnighted his specialty meds to a local cvs so got those as well. In my 13 years of DVC ownership I just never would have thought this would happen there. Itā€™s a big wake up call to us for sure.

I donā€™t buy their excuse that the trash would be long gone.....if it really was thrown away, the resort dumpsters are not picked up until the morning (ask anyone that has ever had a room near the dumpsters). They know exactly who enters a room. Hopefully the Sheriffs will conduct an investigation. Just follow the trash....or check the hallway cameras. A bag on the bed should be off limits. Not sure which resort you are at, but I know theyā€™ve had a lot of turnover with housekeeping.....they are desperate for help so who know what kind of background checks they are doing. Iā€™m sorry you have to go through all of this. Bring a caregiver is not easy. I hope you get the things your husband needs and you can enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Did hotel management offer to reimburse the replacement cost of the meds? Offer to pick them up from your chosen drug dispensary and bring them to you? Anything at all beyond a 3 night stay at Contemporary? I would not knowingly leave a bag of meds on the bed, but I can understand how chaos or whatever before leaving the room could cause you to overlook them and leave. I am so glad your were able to get the meds you need, but so sorry this happened to you. I am sure you both really wanted and needed this vacation to be good and smooth and calm. Instead of joy, you are having incredible stress. I hope the sheriff's dept can learn something, but It could take months, if at all. I hope you will be able to recover from this. Take care, and God bless you both.

Edit--it didn't occur to me before, but can you get any recovery under insurance for the med replacement costs? Theft?

Many years ago I had a silver necklace 'disappear' from our room at the Poly. I'd placed it in an ashtray, on the nightstand, and put a book over it. When we got back from breakfast, the room was made up - but the book was on the dresser, and the ashtray was empty.

My DH immediately called MouseKeeping and I went to the front desk. They were concerned, but basically said there was nothing they could do. If it was an 'honest mistake' the trash was long gone, and if it wasn't, the best they could 'legally' do was ask about it, but we were told, more or less, "don't hold your breath".
Call the Police.. youā€™d see how fast theyā€™d question the person that entered your room, Inexcusable.
im so sorry that happened..

Thanks everyone. I did file a police report with the sheriffs office because they are expensive meds. Heā€™s on so many we couldnā€™t fit them in the safe. We are in FL for 3 weeks so we needed all his bottles of meds. There was also an Apple Watch and an iPad Pro sitting out that they didnā€™t touch. I knew they took the trash every day but it goes to show they clearly shouldnā€™t if they canā€™t just stick to the trash cans. We just got too comfortable and didnā€™t put out the do not disturb that I usually do on vacations. I spent today at the VA in lake Nona getting his VA meds and CVS overnighted his specialty meds to a local cvs so got those as well. In my 13 years of DVC ownership I just never would have thought this would happen there. Itā€™s a big wake up call to us for sure.
Iā€™m so sorry. This is INexcusable and Iā€™m glad you filed a Police Report. The stress alone stop all the time energy and added angst is so absolutely unforgivable. I understand I being a caregiver and that alone adds an entire additional layer.
DISNEYā€¦ needs to do better. Nothing Ever should be STOLEN ( inDisney speak thrown away) from a room. We re not talking leftover snacks. Drugs are expensive and Easily sold by Evil people. I truly hope that the rest of your visit is better, calmer and you get a Better resolution.
mid be sending a certified letter to Disney corporate about this.
I know itā€™s a lot, but jot down date/date/time/exactly positioning of ur items/etc and any every person ( dates/times/titles) you spoke with. Sorry to say this additional burden Also falls on you.
DISNEYneeds to DO BETTER!

Not quite as serious as prescriptions, but they threw out my lunch and my sunglasses. I was changing rooms and they were in the hall, saw me leave to take some stuff out and entered my room while I was gone, well before checkout time. My stuff was on the kitchen counter, topped by my sunglasses.

The mousekeeper told me she thought it was trash. I said where is it, eyeing the bag right there in front of me and made them dig out my glasses. Obviously I didn't want my lunch anymore.

Then I complained at the desk that my room was entered (before we had the room checks) and got no satisfaction. I let it go since I did get my glasses back, but I wasn't happy.

I actually lock up my prescriptions in the safe. But I leave my laptop sitting out. It doesn't fit the safe.

Somebody wanted your husbands pills. Nobody honest would have tossed a bag of pills.

Just so you know, there are no longer do not disturb signs. Just room occupied which allows them to enter the room after knocking.

I am so sorry that this happened. I agree they should not have touched things on the bed. It is worrisome that they took It because it seems obvious it was meds and not trash.

I am glad to hear you filed an official report regarding it. I hope the rest of your trip goes smoothly.

I recall a story (a real one, reported in the Orlando Sentinel) a few years back about a suspected thief on staff at SSR (I believe). Law enforcement actually set up a sting operation with a hidden camera in a room (a real family was not staying in it) and the person was caught. I agree that you should send a detailed letter via regular mail with details.....I would send it to the new VP, their offices are in Celebration. I would also try to find out who is in their legal department and copy them too. They know who entered your room.
And everyone knows what pills sound like when you pick up a bag full. Rattle rattle....canā€™t imagine the person didnā€™t hear it.
This story just really bothers me, and itā€™s also a wakeup call that unfortunately itā€™s hard to trust. I will no longer just hide things under my undies. Into the safe everything goes. The iPad fits into some safes, but not all, but will make sure itā€™s well hidden in the future.

That's awful you had to go through that. We will lock up items that don't fit in the safe in a piece of luggage. It's not the most secure thing, but better than leaving larger items out in the open. Even if you have the DND on your door, Disney will still enter your room each day as part of their "security check". This has been in place since the tragedy in Las Vegas. Hope things are better now!

I recall a story (a real one, reported in the Orlando Sentinel) a few years back about a suspected thief on staff at SSR (I believe). Law enforcement actually set up a sting operation with a hidden camera in a room (a real family was not staying in it) and the person was caught. I agree that you should send a detailed letter via regular mail with details.....I would send it to the new VP, their offices are in Celebration. I would also try to find out who is in their legal department and copy them too. They know who entered your room.
And everyone knows what pills sound like when you pick up a bag full. Rattle rattle....canā€™t imagine the person didnā€™t hear it.
This story just really bothers me, and itā€™s also a wakeup call that unfortunately itā€™s hard to trust. I will no longer just hide things under my undies. Into the safe everything goes. The iPad fits into some safes, but not all, but will make sure itā€™s well hidden in the future.
Lock your larger items up in your empty suitcases! It's better than nothing!

Hire an attorney and name everybody that was there. Let the courts sort it out.

That we (as an entity) have taken this coming in the room every day "safety check" thing laying down makes me sick. I am sick and tired of it, and have been since the beginning, but I can't do anything about it by myself. I wish I could. I have a right to expect privacy in my home. This is NOT what I bought into.

it was at OKW

not the first time it happened and they are sorry.

File a police report and see if you can get them to say it on tape or in email or writing.

Sorry it's not an accident if it keeps happening. Additonally they don't continually have their dumpsters emptied right? They should be climbing in there to get it out.

I lock up Rx meds in the safe when I travel because I have meds that have street value and I am not leaving that stuff out.

I would have called the police. They stole prescription drugs. It's a crime.

I will just say this won't stop anyone. Most of those locks can easily be defeated. Won't say how but they can be.

You are better off hiding it in the room. I have ideas of locations but PM if you want ideas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter