Items to bring when leaving the ship for a port

EddieK76

Mouseketeer
So a few questions because we have never cruised before.

When we dock at Nassau and Castaway what items do we need to bring with us to get back on the ship?

My initial thinking is to leave my wallet and passport in the safe but perhaps my thinking is wrong.

All adults need a photo id (drivers license, passport, etc). Everyone needs their room keys.
Would a passport card be better than a DL in case something were to happen to the DL we may be stuck not being able to use a rental car....

Would a passport card be better than a DL in case something were to happen to the DL we may be stuck not being able to use a rental car....
I always leave my passport in the room in the safe. I don't want to risk brining it off the ship with me. If something in the port were to happen, you would contact the ship & they have shoreside staff that would go to your room & get your passport for you.

It's a personal choice what method of photo ID you are most comfortable carrying. Some people are adament about carrying passports just in case they are unable to return to the ship before it leaves. Some people are more concerned about losing a passport than missing the ship and prefer to leave passports onboard. I did lose a driver's license at a London train station, so I recognize that losing an ID is a legitimate issue.

If you have both a passport book and a passport card, carrying the card and leaving the book onboard would be a good "split the difference" solution. As mentioned above, ship staff could get your passport book in the unlikely event you needed to fly home, since the card won't work for air travel.

Personally, I carry a driver's license at Caribbean ports, but I also don't do beach excursions where the risk of losing something is greater (and travel with a husband who could drive if I couldn't).

I always leave my passport in the room in the safe. I don't want to risk brining it off the ship with me. If something in the port were to happen, you would contact the ship & they have shoreside staff that would go to your room & get your passport for you.
We bring passport copies in case something happens to the original passport, we have the copies for the info needed to deal with it.

If you do need anything else, the CM's will let you know...many, many times. So just pay attention and you'll be fine!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter