Itinerary for first trip with grandparents

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
I’m at a loss on how to plan my first trip for grandparents and would love to hear how others organized their days. We are going for a week, both sets of grandparents are coming but it’s undetermined if they’ll overlap, go for the whole time or just a few days and don’t like to plan lol.

So I’d love to hear what grandparents liked for rides, dining. Things that made a first and potentially only trip to Disney with their granddaughter. Neither set of grandparents is a huge Disney fan and I’m not sure about my in laws but it’s been about 15 years since my parents went into the parks.

My grandma loves going to the festivals, especially being able to try all the different foods and see new things. Rides are a little difficult for her, even the boat rides so she doesn't go on much.

My grandma loves going to the festivals, especially being able to try all the different foods and see new things. Rides are a little difficult for her, even the boat rides so she doesn't go on much.
We’ll be there during food and wine so that’s a great point they can try all the food. I’m thinking easy going rides will probably be best for them. Which rides does your grandma ride?

We have done trips with three different sets of grandparents. I would say the biggest factor to consider is physical shape and mobility level. Is everyone able to walk long distances or does anyone need a scooter? My MIL needed a scooter and we probably moved the slowest with her. She enjoyed pretty much any ride that didn’t have a height requirement, so lots of stuff in MK. She also really enjoyed browsing the gift shops.

My dad, on the other hand, is well into his 70’s and still in great shape. He was into whatever we wanted to do, going open to close one day, rope drop, etc. I always asked him what he wanted to do and how he was feeling and he really just enjoyed seeing the kids have fun. He absolutely LOVED ROR and said it was the best thing he’s ever done at Disney. And we went a lot when I was a kid, so he has been many times. He also really liked Spaceship Earth😆

Also, I planned one sit down meal a day, usually an early dinner. My dad said he enjoyed having a sit down meal for dinner, as it was nice to not have to deal with carrying trays and finding a table at that point in the day.

I agree that Disney parks involve a LOT of walking so that needs to be part of your planning. Most grandparents are likely not Olympic athletes and won't be able to go non-stop all day at any of the parks, so need to be considerate of that. Most rides tend to be fairly tame compared to other amusement parks, but good to know which ones might be suitable for them. It's a Small World or the Land are examples of tame rides where you glide around in a boat floating in water.

If some/all of them have never been to Disney good to recognize that if you have a fairly large group, everyone will likely not want to always do the same things. A bit of advance planning at the parks is a good idea or else you will get to the entrance and everyone will stand around trying to decide where to go next and what to do.

You might also consider splitting up and agreeing on a specific place/time to meet for meals or to do specific rides. This provides everyone some flexibility on what they do and are not tied to an exact schedule of the person who is doing the planning.

We’ll be there during food and wine so that’s a great point they can try all the food. I’m thinking easy going rides will probably be best for them. Which rides does your grandma ride?
KS and MMRR I think are some of the ones she enjoys. Boat rides are hard for her due to her knees but that's just my old person. Others with better mobility won't have that issue. Oh and the trails at AK, she really enjoyed those.

I went with my in-laws. There were two challenges, one was we had connecting rooms...it was a little too much togetherness. The other was they were totally unprepared for the amount of walking and my MIL melted down before my then 20 month old. And my inlaws are on the younger side (they turned 60 the year we went).

My FIL did most of the big rides that we went on, my MIL was more than happy to just wait with the kiddo.

I think the price of food is the biggest shock factor if you don't routinely go, and I remember that being sort of a thing with my in laws. We do TS pretty exclusively, which worked out better for them anyway. They were not thrilled at the couple counter services we did.

This next trip is with my mom and step-dad and my mom goes to Disney about once every 10 years or so. My step-dad is only joining us for our Animal Kingdom day. My mom isn't even 60, my step dad is 64(?) so still on the younger side. Mom's wish list is Galaxy's Edge and the magic kingdom standards.

We have done trips with three different sets of grandparents. I would say the biggest factor to consider is physical shape and mobility level. Is everyone able to walk long distances or does anyone need a scooter? My MIL needed a scooter and we probably moved the slowest with her. She enjoyed pretty much any ride that didn’t have a height requirement, so lots of stuff in MK. She also really enjoyed browsing the gift shops.

My dad, on the other hand, is well into his 70’s and still in great shape. He was into whatever we wanted to do, going open to close one day, rope drop, etc. I always asked him what he wanted to do and how he was feeling and he really just enjoyed seeing the kids have fun. He absolutely LOVED ROR and said it was the best thing he’s ever done at Disney. And we went a lot when I was a kid, so he has been many times. He also really liked Spaceship Earth😆
So my parents would out walk us, they casually do 20 mile walks all the time lol. My in laws will need either a scooter or wheelchair they have mobility issues. Although they don’t really want to use either of these things which could get complicated.

I agree that Disney parks involve a LOT of walking so that needs to be part of your planning. Most grandparents are likely not Olympic athletes and won't be able to go non-stop all day at any of the parks, so need to be considerate of that. Most rides tend to be fairly tame compared to other amusement parks, but good to know which ones might be suitable for them. It's a Small World or the Land are examples of tame rides where you glide around in a boat floating in water.

If some/all of them have never been to Disney good to recognize that if you have a fairly large group, everyone will likely not want to always do the same things. A bit of advance planning at the parks is a good idea or else you will get to the entrance and everyone will stand around trying to decide where to go next and what to do.

You might also consider splitting up and agreeing on a specific place/time to meet for meals or to do specific rides. This provides everyone some flexibility on what they do and are not tied to an exact schedule of the person who is doing the planning.
I’m trying to figure out if it’ll be better to have them join us at different points of our trip or on the same days. I’m thinking meet up times would be good. Would let everyone go at their own pace.

I went with my in-laws. There were two challenges, one was we had connecting rooms...it was a little too much togetherness. The other was they were totally unprepared for the amount of walking and my MIL melted down before my then 20 month old. And my inlaws are on the younger side (they turned 60 the year we went).

My FIL did most of the big rides that we went on, my MIL was more than happy to just wait with the kiddo.

I think the price of food is the biggest shock factor if you don't routinely go, and I remember that being sort of a thing with my in laws. We do TS pretty exclusively, which worked out better for them anyway. They were not thrilled at the couple counter services we did.

This next trip is with my mom and step-dad and my mom goes to Disney about once every 10 years or so. My step-dad is only joining us for our Animal Kingdom day. My mom isn't even 60, my step dad is 64(?) so still on the younger side. Mom's wish list is Galaxy's Edge and the magic kingdom standards.
Food prices can definitely be a shocker I remember getting quick service food for 4 people and it was around $100 and we didn’t even get all that much it was crazy.

The focus of the grandparents is the baby so they don’t really have must do rides or anything. I think they’d all prefer a cruise over the parks lol. But I think a cruise needs to wait since she wouldn’t be able to swim in the pools and can at the resorts.

Resort: We stayed with both my parents in AOA-Nemo when our teen had turned 5. After that we’ve been to the GF and twice to AKL with my just my mom. AKL was better and she loved waking up and sitting on the balcony, watching giraffes/zebras while sipping her morning coffee. I would book a 1 bedroom. We had 2 kids (1 was an infant) so we still fit on the bunk bed room (no longer offered). Some days my mom would offer to babysit the kids while the adults went back to Epcot etc. She wasn’t comfortable going out of the room in her own so we had to make sure she had lunch/dinner (order groceries from garden grocer). 1 bedrooms usually have 2 baths and a full fridge (except AOA suites which have a kitchenette). You need the extra bathrooms.

Mobility: My dad has advanced Disc Degeneration but he still wanted to walk the first day or so, but did so at an extremely slow pace (budget extra time to get to LL, dining). My mom kept looking back at him (CMs were yelling to keep moving and it was dark) and tripped and scraped a knee (CMs didn’t care and no one assisted while she was on the ground; first aid centers are at each park and she was able to get the wound cleaned and a bandaid). My dad slipped in the tub and then on he needed a scooter to move around comfortably (we reported it and requested a non slip floor mat but received nothing).

Things to do: Food & Wine was a highlight. We’ve booked ADRs at BoG, CRT, Crystal Palace with both grandparents and they enjoyed everything. Boma is now my moms favorite restaurant and Ohana was second. Grandparents haven’t been post COVID (mar 2020 trip got cancelled). The shows (Fantasmic, MK fireworks, parades are a highlight). Make sure grandparents have a break mid day. They don’t have to join every evening and might want to stay back and rest at the resort (so keep 2 days without Dinner ADRs that would allow pool breaks as well)

Rides: No riding Space Mountain or RocknRoller coaster with Grandparents who have any back/neck issues. Parades/shows/fireworks are just as entertaining. Also be prepared for them not wanting to stay back as well. My dad wanted to see Fantasmic despite having slipped that morning. Unusual things: we went out of our way to ride the monorail simply because my dad wanted to.

Food: Don’t order chicken at CRT or any other dining location unless fried (they tend to undercook it). One QS lunch and 1 TS dinner is enough. It would be a challenge to get everyone Uber/Lyft to get where you’re going as Disney transportation is really unreliable. Make sure to order a few breakfast items to save time and money. Try Topolinos breakfast once (food was excellent; characters were a plus). Dining was so time consuming this past trip without grandparents that we ended up cancelling a few to free up our evening. Dining and Genie+ are a nightmare (at 7 am I got LL for SDMT at 5 pm when I clicked 9:30 am; I had to run down to the front desk to get it fixed before non resort guests’ window opened).

https://gardengrocer.com/

Laundry: My parents underpacked. It was stressful to find time to do laundry. Unless your room has a washer dryer OR you have a pool day where laundry is nearby (AOA laundry is next to the pool) pack for the entire trip. I do pack a Fels Naptha bar for washing clothes as we have younger kids/accidents.

Shoes: ask them to wear runners (no fancy shoes at Disney - I walked 19-25k with mid day breaks - takes more steps) and bring flip flops for rain/Kali River ride/pool (ponchos are a must even if rain not forecasted)

Pain relief: Actviene pain relief cream, foot cream by temple spa and a mini massage gun (I have a full size one by Bob and Brad), Advil, ice/gel pack for medication/pai if you have a full fridge, Aspercreme with lidocaine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012A5Z89...&pd_rd_r=b056cfb0-3097-4b0c-b836-f9d43eb97a86

https://usa.templespa.com/aaahhh-foot-and-limb-cream

https://www.amazon.com/BOB-BRAD-Pocket-Sized-Massager-Percussion/dp/B08M8YSFC7/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3TNHQLEW2W116&keywords=bob+brad+massage+gun+mini&qid=1651673552&sprefix=bob+brad+massage+gun+mini,aps,92&sr=8-3&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.006c50ae-5d4c-4777-9bc0-4513d670b6bc

Overall expectations: It’s stressful to coordinate so many people. If you have to cancel something or they can’t join, don’t be disappointed. Sometimes it felt like having to manage an extra set of toddlers at the same time, so give yourself a break as well.

Last edited:
We did buy Memory maker in advance so everyone could be in pictures. We have great picture on Main Street and at character dining (those days pictures with Cinderella at CRT and Safari Donald at Tusker House were printed and given to you while you ate).

Older people can dehydrate without knowing it, so do carry electrolytes (I buy liquid IV from Costco).

If anyone has diabetes, front desk can give you a sharps container.

We have gone many times with grandparents. Tell them what you plan on doing and let them decide if they want to join you. Of course you need to include them in ADRs when you books them but when it gets closer to time confirm they’re still interested. My parents and In laws get a slower start to the day than we do and they were never very interested in most of the rides.

My father is in his seventies and has mobility issues. In terms of rides, he basically just sticks to the vehicles that are easy to transfer in and out of. Rides with tight leg room or vehicles you have to step down in to are just too difficult, so rides like Seven Dwarfs, Mission Space, and Splash Mountain just don't work for him. He will do some of the omnimovers if they can be slowed down for him to get on, like the Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth. He loves Soarin', and I bet the grandparents in your group would as well!

It was definitely like this with my in-laws. My MIL melted down before the 20 month old
My dad and I were joking that Disney should have “Grandparent Care Centers” next to the baby care centers at each park. They could have those nap pods so the older folks could rest, cold drinks and someone to complain to about the cost of Disney, especially the food prices. He said it would be a step up from his usual nap places…the Hall of Presidents😆

I’m at a loss on how to plan my first trip for grandparents and would love to hear how others organized their days. We are going for a week, both sets of grandparents are coming but it’s undetermined if they’ll overlap, go for the whole time or just a few days and don’t like to plan lol.

So I’d love to hear what grandparents liked for rides, dining. Things that made a first and potentially only trip to Disney with their granddaughter. Neither set of grandparents is a huge Disney fan and I’m not sure about my in laws but it’s been about 15 years since my parents went into the parks.
I guess we are the grandparent exception. Just came back from April 18-23 stay in a 2 bedroom villa @beach club (me 80; husband 79 1/2; son 53; grndsons 9 & 11)! I love rollercoasters as does 11 year old; husbnd likes quieter rides as does 9 year old; son swings either way. I also used a cane (did not hinder quick walking) for this trip as I recently had a miniscus tear operation. Still manage 14 to 16 miles per day. Worst part of trip was hubby & I getting up @6:30 every morning to get Genie+ and "fancy rides" every morning while others had breakfast and got dressed. Hubby & I are very IT oriented seniors - and had studied the whole Genie thing thoroughly.You really need to be as you are constantly on the phone.

Trip was our Disney finale (over 100+ trips over the years) as we found the whole Genie world exhausting! Had a great time as did son and grandsons and glad to pass the future trips off to son - kids are looking forward to Universal trips in the future.

Hope this helps - it really comes down to physical make up of the grandparents and their IT abilities!!

Thank you everyone for your tips! It’s looking like my in laws don’t want to go anymore. They think it’s too much walking and don’t want to rent scooters. So it’ll just be one set of grandparents so I think that’ll make things easier. Have Boardwalk Villas booked in a one bedroom villa. Upside is I can add my parents to the room with no additional charges for adults so I don’t have to worry if they don’t want to stay at that hotel and can still go to the pool with us. My parents haven’t booked their hotel yet so not sure where they want to stay. We will be there a week and my mom thinks it’ll be easier if they only go for a couple days of that instead of the whole time.

I guess we are the grandparent exception. Just came back from April 18-23 stay in a 2 bedroom villa @beach club (me 80; husband 79 1/2; son 53; grndsons 9 & 11)! I love rollercoasters as does 11 year old; husbnd likes quieter rides as does 9 year old; son swings either way. I also used a cane (did not hinder quick walking) for this trip as I recently had a miniscus tear operation. Still manage 14 to 16 miles per day. Worst part of trip was hubby & I getting up @6:30 every morning to get Genie+ and "fancy rides" every morning while others had breakfast and got dressed. Hubby & I are very IT oriented seniors - and had studied the whole Genie thing thoroughly.You really need to be as you are constantly on the phone.

Trip was our Disney finale (over 100+ trips over the years) as we found the whole Genie world exhausting! Had a great time as did son and grandsons and glad to pass the future trips off to son - kids are looking forward to Universal trips in the future.

Hope this helps - it really comes down to physical make up of the grandparents and their IT abilities!!
We had the same reaction to Genie+. Not going back until they get rid of it. Too much of a mental lod.

Thank you everyone for your tips! It’s looking like my in laws don’t want to go anymore. They think it’s too much walking and don’t want to rent scooters. So it’ll just be one set of grandparents so I think that’ll make things easier. Have Boardwalk Villas booked in a one bedroom villa. Upside is I can add my parents to the room with no additional charges for adults so I don’t have to worry if they don’t want to stay at that hotel and can still go to the pool with us. My parents haven’t booked their hotel yet so not sure where they want to stay. We will be there a week and my mom thinks it’ll be easier if they only go for a couple days of that instead of the whole time.
They will love being in walking distance to EP if they stay at BWI / BWV. They could also stay at CBR or Riviera and still be very close to you but at a lower cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter