Itinerary Help Please :)

3kidz4dis

DIS Veteran
We are staying 2 nights in Waikiki and then 5 nights at Aulani. I am having trouble with logistics and the best day to do a certain activity.

Day 1 (Wed) Pearl Harbor then back to Waikiki
Day 2 (Thur) Hanauma Bay (then Diamondhead?) back to Waikiki
Day 3 (Fri) give our luggage to bell services in Waikiki and go Diamondhead or head up to Waimea Falls, then go back and get luggage and check into Aulani
Day 4 (Sat) PCC
Day 5 (Sun) Kualoa Ranch for 2 hour tour, then North Shore
Day 6 (Mon) Free day (should this be Waimea Falls and then North Shore?)
Day 7 (Tues) 1/2 a free day..need to go to the airport for interisland Kauai later in the afternoon)

We would like to do a Luau which would either be the day we go to PCC or an evening at Paradise Cove or Aulani. If we do not do a luau on Oahu, we could do one on Kauai (Smiths)
I know there are so many other things we could be doing to add on. We enjoy snorkeling and hiking and just plain sun time :) We could probably skip Dole as we have done that in years past. TIA

1. Due to location, I would swap PH and Kualoa Ranch. You basically have to drive past Waikiki (and PH) to go from Aulani to Kualoa. I would do PH from Aulani and Kualoa from Waikiki.
2. You can do some of the North Shore on PCC day. It doesn't open until 12:45... Dole and waimea falls are along the way if you want to pick them up. (Instead of the day from Waikiki)
3. I would do Diamondhead from Waikiki... you can even Uber due to parking issues.
4. Might think about Pali Lookout on the way to Kualoa
5. We're not snorkelers but my friends who live / lived in HI swear by Hanauma Bay for snorkeling another thing to add on Day #3

1. Due to location, I would swap PH and Kualoa Ranch. You basically have to drive past Waikiki (and PH) to go from Aulani to Kualoa. I would do PH from Aulani and Kualoa from Waikiki.
2. You can do some of the North Shore on PCC day. It doesn't open until 12:45... Dole and waimea falls are along the way if you want to pick them up. (Instead of the day from Waikiki)
3. I would do Diamondhead from Waikiki... you can even Uber due to parking issues.
5. We're not snorkelers but my friends who live / lived in HI swear by Hanauma Bay for snorkeling another thing to add on Day #3
Thank you! Very helpful! Since we will be arriving from the East Coast, we will be up early (and tired, lol). What do you think about going to Pali Lookout/Kualoa Ranch the day we check out of Waikiki and check into Aulani and bring our luggage with us?

Last edited:

My only caution on your idea on taking your luggage is something one of my friends told me ... Thieves love to hang out in the same places the tourist do and they love luggage... Depending on what/when you're doing Kualoa, you could do Diamond Head (get there early as in 30 min before they open) ... do Pali Lookout along the way to Kualoa on day1. That leaves moving day as a beach day when the hotel can hold your luggage (or head out to Hanauma Bay early on moving day and pick up your luggage on the way back thru).

Thank you! Very helpful! Since we will be arriving from the East Coast, we will be up early (and tired, lol). What do you think about going to Pali Lookout/Kualoa Ranch the day we check out of Waikiki and check into Aulani and bring our luggage with us?

Do not take your luggage with you! As you tour before you move to Aulani, you will see that every tourist spot has broken car glass all over. Like Tankin said, thieves love to hang out at the tourist stops.

To minimize time spent in traffic or zigzagging I would adjust the itinerary slightly. Try to avoid Diamond Head in the middle of the day - you will bake! Waimea Falls alone isn't worth a drive out to the North Shore so I would try and pair it with another activity. Perhaps before/after PCC or Kualoa depending on when your reservation times are.

Day 2 (Thur) Hanauma Bay (then Diamondhead?) back to Waikiki Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay to cool off, then back to Waikiki
Day 3 (Fri) give our luggage to bell services in Waikiki and go Diamondhead or maybe take a drive around the East end of the island, see the blowhole, Makapuu lighthouse, stop in Kailua, Pali lookout, and loop back to Waikiki to pickup luggage? head up to Waimea Falls, then go back and get luggage way too much backtracking and check into Aulani
Day 4 (Sat) PCC
Day 5 (Sun) Kualoa Ranch for 2 hour tour, then North Shore and Waimea Falls
Day 7 (Tues) 1/2 a free day..need to go to the airport for interisland Kauai later in the afternoon)

To minimize time spent in traffic or zigzagging I would adjust the itinerary slightly. Try to avoid Diamond Head in the middle of the day - you will bake! Waimea Falls alone isn't worth a drive out to the North Shore so I would try and pair it with another activity. Perhaps before/after PCC or Kualoa depending on when your reservation times are.

Day 2 (Thur) Hanauma Bay (then Diamondhead?) back to Waikiki Diamond Head, Hanauma Bay to cool off, then back to Waikiki
Day 3 (Fri) give our luggage to bell services in Waikiki and go Diamondhead or maybe take a drive around the East end of the island, see the blowhole, Makapuu lighthouse, stop in Kailua, Pali lookout, and loop back to Waikiki to pickup luggage? head up to Waimea Falls, then go back and get luggage way too much backtracking and check into Aulani
Day 4 (Sat) PCC

I agree with the above.

I would add to the Day 1 to visit Punchbowl National Cemetery after Peral Harbor. I know I'm repeating myself here on the forum, but Punchbowl is way overlooked when it really shouldn't be.

While in Waikiki definitely grab dinner at the Barefoot Beach Cafe on the beach just west of the Aquarium. Location can’t be beat and the food is terrific and super cheap for the area.

If you have kids with you, Hanauma and Diamonhead is a LOT for one day. Also, Diamondhead gets wicked hot so best done early morning.

If you have been to PCC before and love it then skip the following advice. If you've never been before, I encourage you to spend a lot of time on their website and looking at their map. We did not enjoy our visit there. We thought it was overpriced, not very authentic and a waste of our time. That is a harsh criticism, I realize. It depends on your touring style, but I encourage you to have more free days and free time. I'd recommend skipping PCC all together and having a free day. Aulani is a truly special place. The resort itself is an experience.

Day 4 (Sat) PCC

Thank you! I appreciate it! It all makes sense to me! I wasn't sure if I we should go Kualoa ranch when they opened and then PCC for remainder of the day but you had a good solution.
Also, for day 3, are those sightseeing from our car or do we have to park and get out? (just wondering about the luggage issue again.) Another thought, is dropping off our luggage at Disney Aulani and then having them hold the luggage and going to Waimea Falls and North Shore a possibility on day 3? Thanks for your help!

Waimea Falls is okay as far as falls go, IMHO. If you're a Maui Road to Hana, the first twin falls beats it already.

We just spent five days at Aulani and mostly within Ko Olina for 3 of those days. One day to the stadium swap market and WAS going to PH -- but the landside dock at the memorial is broken and no ETA to reopening either -- so be aware of that.

Our northshore day from Aulani was quick 45min drive up to Turtle Bay resort and slow stops on the way back down -- eating, eating, eating galore. We ended up passing on Shark cove as didn't pack snorkle and water shoes -- o/w would have been a great stop for easy viewing. --next trip.

PCC we did before and loved it. Didn't do this trip. The show is great and would satisfy our luau desires. As we had it - our room was island view and had Aulani luau piped into our balcony x3 of the nights while eating Monkeypod, Pizza Corner and other take outs :)

My only caution on your idea on taking your luggage is something one of my friends told me ... Thieves love to hang out in the same places the tourist do and they love luggage...

The Pearl Harbor parking lot is another place where there have been auto break-ins. Signs are posted warning visitors. Sadly, paradise does have a crime rate.

Current Schedule:

Day 2 (Thur) Hanauma Bay (then Diamondhead?) back to Waikiki
Day 3 (Fri) give our luggage to bell services in Waikiki and go Diamondhead or head up to Waimea Falls, then go back and get luggage and check into Aulani
Day 4 (Sat) PCC
Day 5 (Sun) Kualoa Ranch for 2 hour tour, then North Shore

What I would do:

Day 1 (Wed) Hanauma Bay, Makapu'u point, back to Waikiki
Day 2 (Thur) Kualoa Ranch for 2 hour tour, then Waimea Falls and North Shore (easy to do if you take an early tour)
Day 3 (Fri) give our luggage to bell services in Waikiki, Diamond Head, lunch, Pearl Harbor, then go back and get luggage and check into Aulani
Day 4 (Sat) Aulani resort day
Day 5 (Sun) Aulani resort day
Day 6 (Mon) North Shore then PCC Luau, or PCC first and dinner at North Shore

You can also swap an Aulani resort day with Diamond Head and Pearl Harbor if you don't want two resort days in a row, but make sure to book tickets online for the weekend.

On one of your Aulani days, the hike to Kanea point is amazing and you get great views of the ocean and mountains.

The traffic to and from the north shore is worse on weekends, since everyone in the city goes up there to surf. It's also really bad right around sunset from everyone leaving at once. The only way up there is a 2 lane road that everybody parks right next to. That's why I suggest doing all those activities during the week.

Personally I would not do this. Pearl Harbour is probably better on this day because if for some reason you don't get advance tickets or tickets on the day you have time to do so later in the trip.
There is a different scenic route you can take instead of driving past Waikiki.
You can always cut across the H3 highway to skip the majority of Honolulu traffic.
It is an incredible ride across an elevated road way and through tunnels to the East Side.

Personally I would not do this. Pearl Harbour is probably better on this day because if for some reason you don't get advance tickets or tickets on the day you have time to do so later in the trip.
You can always cut across the H3 highway to skip the majority of Honolulu traffic.
It is an incredible ride across an elevated road way and through tunnels to the East Side.

We love the H3 and take it any time we can!

Agree that the H3 drive to the East Side is spectacular. Especially when you come out of the tunnel on the other side!

However, the drive around the SouthEast side of the island is pretty nice too. The Blow Hole is amazing, as is the rock formations along the shore.

If you have been to PCC before and love it then skip the following advice. If you've never been before, I encourage you to spend a lot of time on their website and looking at their map. We did not enjoy our visit there. We thought it was overpriced, not very authentic and a waste of our time. That is a harsh criticism, I realize. It depends on your touring style, but I encourage you to have more free days and free time. I'd recommend skipping PCC all together and having a free day. Aulani is a truly special place. The resort itself is an experience.
We have been there before about 25 years ago and this time we have the kids so thought we would take them and the HA Breath of Life is new to us. I can tell you that I personally didn't love it.

We are planning on H3 at some point. Does it have the same views either way? Westbound or Eastbound? We were thinking of taking the coast from Waikiki up to Kailua but take H3 back...same views?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter