It's a good thing Pete is so shy and retiring

You need to come to Harlem.

Not sure even Harlem can do "Buffalo" wings like Buffalo can. Though there are a few restaurants there that I do like. Sylvia's of course, which is a tourist trap, and then another place whose name escapes me, but was suggested to me, on Fredrick Douglass Blvd at roughly 135th St.

I stayed at POFQ for years before I joined DVC. It was my favorite moderate - so quaint, charming, and clean. I am sad to hear that things have gone downhill.

Just because Pete made those comments doesn't mean it's gone downhill. It's one man's opinion, really.

Just because Pete made those comments doesn't mean it's gone downhill. It's one man's opinion, really.

True. Then again, it might not be going downhill - that might just be its usual condition.

I am with you Topolini! We don't even know what Pete is referring to and folks are automatically assuming POFQ has gone down hill and is the slum of resorts now.. Really??? :confused3:confused3

Part of me is relieved that we decided (well...DH decided to surprise me) to switch from Port Orleans to Wilderness Lodge. However...I'm a bit sad since (depending on how long they're staying) we could have had overlapping trips!

Can't wait to hear the rant!!

Sad to hear Pete's not having a good time - I look forward to hearing the rant, too. We had an excellent stay at POFQ in December and they were amazing to me after we bailed out of the horrible experience we were having at Sheraton Vistana Villages in October. FQ is my favorite moderate; we've never had a bad experience. :)

I will say, though, that the heating in the food court needs to be improved. It was icy there during the cold snap in December; I imagine it's chilly there now, too.

I think that it has been stated many times on the podcast that they are offering their opinions. If you were to take the opinions of every podcast member into an account, you might as well stay home. Everybody has different tastes and experiences. And, what one might experience on one trip might not be what another experiences on another trip. Chances are that WDW didn't do a major overhaul and decide to make the resort crap.

I am very much looking forward to staying at Port Orleans in February. We have run out of DVC points and are looking forward to a change.

I think that it has been stated many times on the podcast that they are offering their opinions. If you were to take the opinions of every podcast member into an account, you might as well stay home. Everybody has different tastes and experiences. And, what one might experience on one trip might not be what another experiences on another trip. Chances are that WDW didn't do a major overhaul and decide to make the resort crap.

I am very much looking forward to staying at Port Orleans in February. We have run out of DVC points and are looking forward to a change.

Very well said. :thumbsup2

Although, I, personally, enjoy a full blown Pete rant. :)

I'll go into more details on the show, but that FB post was made out of frustration. They did address the issue we were having (and no, it didn't have to do with the omelette!).

Starting with the POFQ review, we're going to include the following disclaimer with all future reviews:

"These reviews are a snapshot of our individual experience on a particular visit. A decision on whether to stay, eat or experience anything should not be made from one review or comment. This information is better used as a 'heads up' in combination with other reports that can be found on DISBoards.com and other Disney and travel communities on the web. Doing research and reading commentary from multiple sources is the best approach in deciding where your vacation dollars are spent "

When I look to book a hotel that I have no experience with, I look around - read a lot of reviews, see what the hotel has to offer and make my decision based on the totality of the information available to me. If I see that several people have reported the same issue or concern, that would influence me. No one should be influenced by one report or experience.

With that said, I'm certainly not going to hold back when my experience was negative, anymore than I would if it were positive.

Pete

Pete

I'll go into more details on the show, but that FB post was made out of frustration. They did address the issue we were having (and no, it didn't have to do with the omelette!).

Starting with the POFQ review, we're going to include the following disclaimer with all future reviews:

"These reviews are a snapshot of our individual experience on a particular visit. A decision on whether to stay, eat or experience anything should not be made from one review or comment. This information is better used as a 'heads up' in combination with other reports that can be found on DISBoards.com and other Disney and travel communities on the web. Doing research and reading commentary from multiple sources is the best approach in deciding where your vacation dollars are spent "

When I look to book a hotel that I have no experience with, I look around - read a lot of reviews, see what the hotel has to offer and make my decision based on the totality of the information available to me. If I see that several people have reported the same issue or concern, that would influence me. No one should be influenced by one report or experience.

With that said, I'm certainly not going to hold back when my experience was negative, anymore than I would if it were positive.

Pete

Pete

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Just like Kevin with his restaurant reviews I don't think anyone should take it as a personal attack against their favorite resort because Pete found some negatives or even doesn't like it. Whether you agree with them or not (both the resort reviews and restaurant) they are honest opinions based on the impression they got. It could be that their criteria for a good resort/restaurant is different, they just had an off day, the person who cleaned that particular room or make that particular dish just had an off day, and a million other things.

I've stayed at POR but never POFQ but have been to the resort. The proximity of the rooms and they way they were themed always felt like a value to me. I know inside the rooms they are larger and have the amenities of a moderate but the atmosphere was always too value like for me. Now, to be clear, I'm not knocking values. The vast majority of my stays are at values (POP is my favorite) but I wouldn't pay moderate price to stay at a value.

Thank you guys for your honest opinions and reviews.

Just like Kevin with his restaurant reviews I don't think anyone should take it as a personal attack against their favorite resort because Pete found some negatives or even doesn't like it. Whether you agree with them or not (both the resort reviews and restaurant) they are honest opinions based on the impression they got. It could be that their criteria for a good resort/restaurant is different, they just had an off day, the person who cleaned that particular room or make that particular dish just had an off day, and a million other things.

I've stayed at POR but never POFQ but have been to the resort. The proximity of the rooms and they way they were themed always felt like a value to me. I know inside the rooms they are larger and have the amenities of a moderate but the atmosphere was always too value like for me. Now, to be clear, I'm not knocking values. The vast majority of my stays are at values (POP is my favorite) but I wouldn't pay moderate price to stay at a value.

Thank you guys for your honest opinions and reviews.

An excellent example of what you just said is that I love :love: POFQ. I didn't get value feeling at all. I love it's size and quaintness and the pool is great. However, I don't like POR at all. It's just too big and I don't care for the themeing at all. The rooms remind me of cheap lake cabins. That is just ME though. To each his own. :teeth:

I stayed there over Memorial Weekend 2010 and thought it was so-so.

Part of that problem may have been I was exhausted from trying to sleep in a double bed with DD and hearing DH snore all night with no way to get away from it. Plus I had an undiagnosed heel spur so I could barely walk.

I booked it for my solo trip later this year to give it another try. I did love POR when I stayed there solo.

I am with you Topolini! We don't even know what Pete is referring to and folks are automatically assuming POFQ has gone down hill and is the slum of resorts now.. Really??? :confused3:confused3

Correct, it is a snapsnot view of one's person's experience. However, I trust that person to deliver truthful information as has been done in the past. If he had a bad experience there, I'd take that into account. This is the same when others recommend restaurants, products, services, etc. Will it deter me from staying there? Possibly - IF multiple bad reviews start surfacing. If that is the case, then something could potentially be very wrong.

Renysmom, my comments were based on his saying, "POFQ sucks!" I don't get a positive feeling from that so I am assuming it was a negative experience! lol :confused3

Pete

Pete

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2 My feelings exactly.

I'm glad Pete posted saying they were going to say a disclaimer and reiterating that it is one person's opinion. I find it kind of scary sometimes when I hear a bad hotel or restaurant review on the podcast (even though they always say it is just their opinion) and then see the boards erupt with people freaking out that they have to change all their ADRs or resort reservation. And how omg - their whole vacation is going to be ruined now bc they thought the place they reserved to eat at or stay at was good. It's really alarming to me and I think people sometimes take these reviews as the absolute final opinion on anything.:confused3 Even if you like the podcasters and respect them, or if they are your bff, it doesn't mean their tastes are the same as yours. People, here's my advice - look and try stuff for yourself!! :)

I have heard reviews myself on the podcast in the past that were beyond glowing and was excited to try out a restaurant or show, etc. and walked away like "that was it?". BUT THAT'S OK!! :thumbsup2 I also heard people say to never ever eat or stay somewhere and like a "crazy loon":scared1: I did it anyway and actually enjoyed myself. That's ok too! Everyone is different and should think for themselves!!! If 100% of every person staying at POFQ, or any resort, or eating at whatever restaurant was saying the exact same thing - then yeah - maybe there is a problem there. But if it's still 50-50 that means it's different strokes for different folks. We're human, that's EXACTLY as it should be! There is something for everyone! :goodvibes

I went to Le Cellier bc I read so much about it, how it was the be all end all. Was it good? Yeah it was fine. Would I wake up early 180 days ahead ever again to try and race someone for an ADR to eat there again? No. I thought Chefs de France was good - but do I have to eat there every trip? No. But I love Cape May Cafe and will call there early bc I love love love clams and ribs. Everyone is different, that is what makes the "Disney World" go round. I love reading other people's experiences and adventures. I love the values as much as I love my DVC deluxes. I love the moderates and I'm sure I'd even enjoy a tent at the Fort. Well.... hmmm :laughing:

So after all my babbling, all I have to say is think for yourself. The podcast is a handful of people that are all so different with different thoughts, tastes, opinions - which makes the podcast so interesting to so many people. (and they say that all the time) I just think that people should make their own judgements and not freak out bc one person said one thing. :confused3 If a place appeals to you - try it out for yourself. If it doesn't - don't. :woohoo:

I'm glad Pete posted saying they were going to say a disclaimer and reiterating that it is one person's opinion. I find it kind of scary sometimes when I hear a bad hotel or restaurant review on the podcast (even though they always say it is just their opinion) and then see the boards erupt with people freaking out that they have to change all their ADRs or resort reservation. And how omg - their whole vacation is going to be ruined now bc they thought the place they reserved to eat at or stay at was good. It's really alarming to me and I think people sometimes take these reviews as the absolute final opinion on anything.:confused3 Even if you like the podcasters and respect them, or if they are your bff, it doesn't mean their tastes are the same as yours. People, here's my advice - look and try stuff for yourself!! :)

I have heard reviews myself on the podcast in the past that were beyond glowing and was excited to try out a restaurant or show, etc. and walked away like "that was it?". BUT THAT'S OK!! :thumbsup2 I also heard people say to never ever eat or stay somewhere and like a "crazy loon":scared1: I did it anyway and actually enjoyed myself. That's ok too! Everyone is different and should think for themselves!!! If 100% of every person staying at POFQ, or any resort, or eating at whatever restaurant was saying the exact same thing - then yeah - maybe there is a problem there. But if it's still 50-50 that means it's different strokes for different folks. We're human, that's EXACTLY as it should be! There is something for everyone! :goodvibes

I went to Le Cellier bc I read so much about it, how it was the be all end all. Was it good? Yeah it was fine. Would I wake up early 180 days ahead ever again to try and race someone for an ADR to eat there again? No. I thought Chefs de France was good - but do I have to eat there every trip? No. But I love Cape May Cafe and will call there early bc I love love love clams and ribs. Everyone is different, that is what makes the "Disney World" go round. I love reading other people's experiences and adventures. I love the values as much as I love my DVC deluxes. I love the moderates and I'm sure I'd even enjoy a tent at the Fort. Well.... hmmm :laughing:

So after all my babbling, all I have to say is think for yourself. The podcast is a handful of people that are all so different with different thoughts, tastes, opinions - which makes the podcast so interesting to so many people. (and they say that all the time) I just think that people should make their own judgements and not freak out bc one person said one thing. :confused3 If a place appeals to you - try it out for yourself. If it doesn't - don't. :woohoo:

:thumbsup2 Well Said Susan. I agree with everything you said.

If 100% of every person staying at POFQ, or any resort, or eating at whatever restaurant was saying the exact same thing - then yeah - maybe there is a problem there.

This made me laugh.

If 100% of the people staying at a resort or dining in a restaurant state that there is a problem, then I think we have passed the point of "maybe".

I guess I'm always amazed that no matter how many times we tell people that this is our opinion, that this was based on one visit, that people should try a place for themselves, that your experience may be different....that there are always folks that feel the need to come forward and explain this again.

There are people that write movie reviews and I always believe the exact opposite of what they say. After reading this reviewer for quite a while, I've learned that we have opinions that are 180 degrees apart. If the writer says the movie is awful.....I'll probably love it.

Please dont think that I believe anyone should always agree with any of us. Each and every person should go and do and see and taste on their own and form their own opinion. That way you can decide if any of us have an opinion similar to your own.

I'm aware that new people listen to the podcast all the time and that they might not have that"history" on which to base an expectation, but I would also assume that they are taking us at our words and are willing to try things for themselves, form their own opinions, experience things before agreeing or disagreeing with us.

Finally....please keep in mind that we do these reviews as a form of entertainment. We try to help people plan their vacation and spend their hard earned dollars in the way that's best for them.

Each and every person listening to the show is welcome to agree or disagree with us.

There is no right or wrong. It's all opinion.

I think the only issue I've ever had with POFQ was their business decision (back in the day) to close Bonfamiles. That was a sweet little restaurant and I thought it was a poor decision to take away the only full-service, sit-down eatery in a moderate resort.

Besides, we really liked Chef Susan, the Bayou Crawfish Pasta, and the chocolate chip pancakes....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter