It's All About the Upsell - Where does DCL try to "Getcha"?

I have never been "pushed" to purchase anything on DCL in 16 cruises.

The most annoying thing is on embarkation day around the ship. It drives us crazy that 37 different times we are asked if we want to purchase a case of water or beer mugs or wine package. Its not being pushy, but over and over gets old really fast. Of course nothing you can do, thats these poor crew members job, they probably hate doing it as much as I hate hearing it.

I honestly only have a vague memory of being asked about water just once in all our DCL cruises. And I might be imagining that one time.

I'm beginning to wonder if the water/wine/beer package issue is something you run into more with a group, after reading more of these comments. Maybe as a solo you just don't get approached as much; I could see how on embarkation day it would make sense for them to avoid approaching people who appear to be separated from their families and might not be expected to be able to make a purchasing decision alone vs. a couple with kids who are clearly together and might be expected to come to a decision together on the spot. Idk. Just a thought. It occurred to me partly because when I came up to where they were taking boarding photos, the CM sending people to each of the photographers actually paused and asked me if I wanted my photo taken like they half-expected a no (they were correct; I skipped the photo).

On my first cruise, the ONLY thing I paid for aside from the actual cost of the cruise and tips was a case of water. There is so much to do and see on the ship, and I never felt pressured to buy anything or like I was missing out by not purchasing special cups or popcorn or pictures or specialty meals. (We don’t drink, so that also helped.) It was awesome to go on a vacation that was basically paid in full when we got there, and not have to spend anything to have a great time. It’s definitely possible to avoid extra charges!

We have been on 13 Disney cruises, and, I can honestly say, we've never felt "pressured" to buy anything that we didnt want to. Yes, they would love to sell you these upcharge items, and we've been asked before, but I have always been able to say "No thank you" without feeling awkward. I think part of the key is that, if you look like you aren't sure of what they are offering, or like you are in any way thinking about it, then they might hover long enough for the "are you sure" moment. That's their job, and its understandable that they have to ask. Just think ahead of what you might be interested in, and, for everything else, just think to yourself, "Just say, No thanks, and keep walking like you are on your way to do something (which we usually are)." Yes, the bar service staff will come around and offer us drinks for purchase while we are laying out, but we just simply decline, and theyve always walked away. A smile and a no thanks has always been enough for us. And keep walking when they water package guy asks you if you need one ("No, we're good," is what I always say). We also always skip the embarkation photo, and no one has ever stopped us from walking right past it. (Full disclosure...we are DVC, so obviously we didnt "Just say no" to everything!! Ha Ha)

We’ve been on RCL once. They come to you in line for dinner and try to make you go somewhere else or come into a bar where you are sitting and attempt to sell you plans to eat and drink elsewhere. It was daily and constant. I would think DCL does that if you are in the spa or at the shopping “show”. I avoid those completely and have encountered no other upsell attacks in 10 cruises.

On our very first cruise, we did the "Complimentary Foot Analysis" in the spa/fitness center. It was basically an upsell to get you to buy a large supply of "health" pills. My wife has a hard time saying no and signed up for a 6 month supply without asking about the cost. When I saw the bill, it was $500+. I immediately went back to the spa desk and got a refund.

The worst upsell we've ever experienced was on a trip to WDW. Last minute trip, all DVC rooms booked solid so we used RCI for a nearby hotel. After check-in, they told us to sign up for "breakfast" and took $20 to hold the time. This should have been the first red flag. Breakfast time comes and a sales person leads us to his car to show us around the area before breakfast. We were pretty much trapped for 3+ hours with the tour, breakfast and then repeatedly telling them no, we were not interested in buying their timeshare. On the positive side, we did get to see Celebration, FL (neat little town).

The only time it has ever bothered me is in the spa. I usually actually like to treat myself to a product or two. But, once on the Fantasy, after a facial, the girl came back with a list of $1200 worth of products that she recommended. For my face. $1200. Not only was I annoyed, but a little offended! I'm not hideous, for crying out loud. Other than that, the products recommended have typically been one or two, maybe 3, and most are under $100. I don't usually buy that stuff for myself, so getting a new moisturizer or something on the cruise is always kind of fun for me, but damn. $1200??? I bought the $30 toner, lol. Probably shouldn't have bought anything, but this is the one time a year I do this for myself!

I've never felt pressured with DVC, and I always go hoping to win the onboard credit. Plus, I just kind of enjoy the presentation. Anyway, it has never felt anything other than, "hey, this thing exists and might be for you."

I like the drink guys coming around offering stuff, especially on Castaway Cay. I don't want to get up! Bring the drinks to me! I guess the only time it was maybe a little pushy was the first day with the water/beer packages where they come around to your table at lunch, but a simple no suffices.

My family and I have gone on 2 Disney cruises (2015, 2017) and have never been asked to purchase a water or beverage package. (And we really like Cabanas!) I actually cannot recall being approached to purchase anything at all. I haven't gone to the spa or the "shopping classes" though. I heard sales pitches are common at those locations.

ETA: Forgot about the flashing pirate cups. Yep, we did get that upsell on the 2015 cruise (but not the 2017 cruise). We didn't feel it was pushy though.

Last edited:
It was crazy on our Fantasy Cruise in October, it was like every corner we turned..........

I feel like the upsell for the beer, water, and wine packages on the boat and on CC has increased over the years - we certainly get asked about all of them more than once during any cruise. But it is not high pressure and easy to say no to. I've never been irritated by those asks. I do get a little annoyed with the boarding photo once in a while; we always head right past it to board the ship because we're not interested in taking or buying that picture, but occasionally a CM will get a bit pushy and tell us we "must" to stay in line to take it. If I were new to DCL I might not realize that it isn't required (it feels like part of the boarding process), so I wish they wouldn't do that. Only once did I have to actually tell the CM that I've cruised before and won't be interested in buying that photo, so I would be proceeding to board now. He looked embarrassed - I think he thought he could "trick" me into taking the picture. :rolleyes:

To me it seems as this embarkation day pushing of drink packages seems to be much less than in the past. I don't think anyone approached us on our last couple cruises.

They must have cut back on this because on the last 3 DCL cruises (1 Fantasy Dec 2016 and 2 Wonder (Oct 2017 and Dec 2017), I don't remember being approached by CM when sitting on our embarcment lunch or even in the hallway. Now I didn't have to pass by promenade lounge were they had Rows of cm with tables or water or wine showing off the packages (since the sit down lunches you don't have to pass it).

Now the one interesting, upsell, but can't even call it that. Is one of the photographers was out when I was looking at pictures on the Kiosk and recognized me from my daughter who loves to get her picture taken, he wanted to see the ones he took to see how they turned out. He then suggested we looking into doing the Studio settings since our daughter loved the attention she got when taking pictures. But it was not a hard sell or even a push. but first time we had been approached about this.

I am so glad they no longer have the Art Auctions at Sea.. Those folks were pushy.

I disagree with all those that say they "getcha" on the cruise price itself. To me, "getcha" implies that you are paying for something that you really didn't want or you were conned somehow. You get more with DCL and there is no pressure to ever buy a DCL cruise to begin with. Plus, I have looked at other cruise lines with similar itineraries and the prices were pretty similar with a lot less quality. :confused3

The only time it has ever bothered me is in the spa. I usually actually like to treat myself to a product or two. But, once on the Fantasy, after a facial, the girl came back with a list of $1200 worth of products that she recommended. For my face. $1200. Not only was I annoyed, but a little offended! I'm not hideous, for crying out loud. Other than that, the products recommended have typically been one or two, maybe 3, and most are under $100. I don't usually buy that stuff for myself, so getting a new moisturizer or something on the cruise is always kind of fun for me, but damn. $1200??? I bought the $30 toner, lol. Probably shouldn't have bought anything, but this is the one time a year I do this for myself!

That happened to me the one (and only time) I got a facial. I went in feeling okay about myself and left thinking "good night I must have really needed a vacation." BTW I bought nothing. Even worse was a pedicure when they broke out several facial products :confused3. I didn't realize eye firming cream was necessary for my feet? This was the final straw (as well as the worst pedicure I've ever had)...I only use the Rainforest Room since writing "no product sell" on my form never worked. No one bothers me in the Rainforest Room (well, except for the time there was a 5 year old in there).

We go to Cabanas on embarkation day for lunch each cruise and have never seen a CM selling water, etc. Reading all of these comments makes me wonder if we are talking about the same cruise line.

We’ve been on RCL once. They come to you in line for dinner and try to make you go somewhere else or come into a bar where you are sitting and attempt to sell you plans to eat and drink elsewhere. It was daily and constant. I would think DCL does that if you are in the spa or at the shopping “show”. I avoid those completely and have encountered no other upsell attacks in 10 cruises.

When I read comments like this I am just baffled. Are some of the people around the areas to offer you the options on RCCL, sure, did they ever come up to us no. Same thing on DCL especially the first day with the water and the beer mug thing. We have two cruises on RCCL and the only extra we bought precruise was the soda package for both on the first trip and for one on the second. On both cruises we got a drink card that I guess would be similar to the one we got in the martini bar on the dream class that gives you a couple of free drinks. We have never felt pressured on any cruise we have been on to do an upsell option. Maybe being an introvert helps with this because I rarely make eye contact with strangers, so maybe they ignore me?

We go to Cabanas on embarkation day for lunch each cruise and have never seen a CM selling water, etc. Reading all of these comments makes me wonder if we are talking about the same cruise line.

We have always eaten in the dining room option on embarkation day and they would be set up in the promenade lounge on your way back to the dining room. I think it was that way for all of our DCL cruises except our 2 concierge trips on the Fantasy.

Last edited:
I disagree with all those that say they "getcha" on the cruise price itself. To me, "getcha" implies that you are paying for something that you really didn't want or you were conned somehow. You get more with DCL and there is no pressure to ever buy a DCL cruise to begin with. Plus, I have looked at other cruise lines with similar itineraries and the prices were pretty similar with a lot less quality. :confused3

About "getting more", it depends on who you are and what your priorities are. Of course, everybody use the cruise line differently and I believe that a family might find much better value in DCL if their kids are really into Disney than us (two adults: a wife who loves Disney & a husband who only cares about good food & more adult entertainment --and is kinda bored with the Mouse & doesn't want to hear Disney songs.) The characters experience is possibly at the top of your priorities while it is a the bottom of our priorities.

For us the price of the DCL cruise itself was kind of a "getcha" because when we have first sailed with DCL, we were not aware of the price difference compared to other cruise lines. I knew nothing about cruising. Before I tried another cruise line, I was 100% sure that cheaper cruise lines had to be crappy to charge so little prices. My opinion obviously changed since. ;)

So I asked my friend who cruises with a large family and has been on 11 cruises in the past six years. He says they always get asked about water once or twice on embarkation day, in Cabanas or on pool deck. But he said it’s no hassle. I will pay attention to this on our Fantasy in April.

I don't understand how anybody is "pressured" into these things. They are optional, say NO THANK YOU. On the first 2 days they were pushing the bottled water packages. I said NO a few times, but I did say NO.

If you don't want a water package, and they ask, just tell them you aren't interested in a water package.

That type of upsell was much more prevalent on my only Royal Caribbean cruise...had to say NO THANK YOU a few more times...but I still said NO. But, it wasn't every day or every minute. Just once in awhile. They did sell us a premium dining package. discounted.

They plug bingo a lot...but in 22 DCL cruises I haven't ever played it.

just went to Vegas and that place is crawling with timeshare agents. They are everywhere. But they'll leave you alone if you tell them you're not married.

Last edited:
So I asked my friend who cruises with a large family and has been on 11 cruises in the past six years. He says they always get asked about water once or twice on embarkation day, in Cabanas or on pool deck. But he said it’s no hassle. I will pay attention to this on our Fantasy in April.

It's really not a big deal. We went straight to Cabanas after boarding the ship and yes we were asked, but once you say, "No, thanks", they move right along. After we leave Cabanas, we were never asked again. No big deal...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter