It's been a while since we've been to DL...

CookieandOatmeal

DIS Veteran
It's been a while since we've been to DL and we'll be hauling a 4 year old with us. I've been reading through the threads and still feel a little overwhelmed by it all. I know WDW like the back of my hand but planning for DL is a totally different beast. Last time we were in DL was in 2016 so things have definitely changed and we also did not have our child. My son has been to WDW 3 times since he was born so we are used to bringing him to Disney and the associated overstimulation that comes with it.

We will be staying at VDH for 3 nights so have a few days to experience everything. I know that I have to book ADRs every day for our entire trip instead of the extended window that we get at WDW...would booking for the World of Color dessert party, breakfast at Storytellers, or Goofy's Kitchen be difficult? We also have 3 day PH tixs with Genie+ but looking at the list on DL's website, it doesn't cover a good amount of rides like I'm used to in WDW. My son isn't 40" yet and we go in April so not sure if he will get there. What kiddie rides that aren't covered by Genie+ is a must do in the morning to avoid long wait times? My son is a big Cars fan so definitely want to do everything we can in Cars Land. Genie+ was a good deal with the Tripadvisor/Target deal from earlier in the year so we opted for it since we thought it would cover more rides and also to bet against increased pricing. I know Genie+ also comes with Photopass downloads...how does that work in DL if only Magicband+ works. Do they scan our tixs, hotel card, etc? I did get a MB+ last WDW trip but hated how I had to charge it each day. We will be in DL mid April...would that also be spring break time in CA? Not sure what to expect in terms of crowds. Thanks for any tips or advice!

To answer your question about PhotoPass, they scan the ticket in the app. My understanding of MagicBand+ is that you only need to charge it for the blinking lights and vibration. I think scanning (into rides or for PhotoPass) will still work even if the device's battery has run out, but someone on here can confirm that or correct it for you.

Park hopping is incredibly easy. The two parks are close together and it does not take long to walk from one park to the other.

This book was really helpful when I planned my first trip to Disneyland.

https://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-G...5&psc=1&mcid=b9bb1fc625453c0383a10856f546f4ad

We visited DL in late April last year (2022). The weather was great and even though it was after Easter and the crowds were suppose to be low they were a lot higher than predicted by Touring Plans. We opted for Genie+ everyday and we felt it was well and truly worth it. With a little one it tow I would make sure I was as close to the front of rope drop as possible at DL and head straight to Fantasyland. If you are at the head of the pack do Peter Pan first thing and then knock out all the rides in Fantasyland - Alice, Dumbo, Pinocchio, Snow White, Mr Toad, and the Carousel if thats your thing. You should be able to achieve most of these in the first 1.5 hours if you have rope dropped and as none of these have G+ it is good to get them out of the way early. You could then see how the waits are for Caseys Train and or Storybookland Canal and do those if the lines are not too long or leave till later in the day. Also check out Jungle Cruise and Pirates as theses don't have G+ either so you want to ride them early in the day. It is now that G+ comes into its own as a lot of the rides will have short return booking times so you can utilise it to skip a lot of lines. Make your priorities rides that your child will like perhaps Its A Small World, Mickey & Minnies Runaway Railway and the other rides in Toontown. You can also use G+ for Autopia, Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours & Haunted Mansion all of which should have pretty good return times. Don't miss a full circuit on the train as it is a lot different to the WDW one and has a couple of great dioramas that you will enjoy. Pooh Bears ride is fun and is usually less than a 10 minute wait most of the day. If you have time head to Tom Sawyer Island which I am sure your child would love as it is Pirate themed and there are all sorts of caves and nooks and crannies to explore.

As for DCA I would again rope drop it and head straight to CarsLand. You can ride Maters & Luigis ride first thing with very little wait. There are not as many G+ options for non thrill riders or under height children but you can still save time at Ariels ride and of course Toy Story Mania. I would head there straight after riding the two rides in Carsland and leave looking around that land till later when the crowds are heavier. If you head to Toy Story Mania as your third ride it should still have a fairly short line so you could ride it standby and then again with G+ (Toy Story's G+ return time does blow out so its a good one to book and use earlier). Ariel's ride and Monsters Inc also have G+ so you could do them anytime as the return times on those will be pretty short. If your child is tall enough for Soarin that is also available with G+ and should be one of your early G+ picks as its wait time can blow out a bit. Your 4yo would probably enjoy all the carnival style rides over at Pixar Pier area and although these are all standby you should be okay with short waits if you hit them early after Toy Story. If your little one is into Marvel that new area is very cool and there are a few free shows there to see which he might enjoy although he may be too short to ride Spiderman. Finally don't miss the Animation Academy area which is where Turtle Talk With Crush is located, the Arundelle ladies meet & greet and the drawing classes however your son might be a bit young for those but these are our favourite thing to do. If you are able to get back to your hotel for an afternoon break DCA works really well for that. Do try and return to the park at night time just to take in Carsland after dark as it looks amazing all lit up. There is a fun lighting ceremony that takes place right at dusk (ask a cast member what time it happens) all to the tune Life Could Be A Dream Sha Boom Sha Boom. If you sit just outside Flo's Cafe you will get a great view of all the neon lights turning on which is pretty cool. Of course the Cars ride is absolutely fantastic but I am not sure of the height limit on that one. It is also an Individual Lightning Lane so you have to pay extra for it but I think it is definitely worth it as this ride always has massive lines even right at rope drop. It is really great to ride at night as the lighting effects on all the mountains is gorgeous. Even if you can't ride it try to find time to watch the outdoor ride part at night to enjoy that lighting, you need to walk behind Flo's Cafe to get the best views.

Hope you have a great time

The weather was great and even though it was after Easter and the crowds were suppose to be low they were a lot higher than predicted by Touring Plans.
I strongly suggest not trusting or using any crowd estimate sites. Since the parks reopened along with reservation system it's basically busy every day compared to pre-pandemic off seasons.

Disney can easily control attendance by opening (or closing) Magic Key availability, due to Southern California having such a large amount of annual passholders.

Last edited:

You’ve gotten some great advice here on rides and strategy, I wanted to chime in on the value of G+ with a little one. I think too often (now) we think it should be a “ride everything with little to no wait” pass, but that is not its intent. If it was, every ride would have a LL and it would be much more expensive. Personally I treat it like the FastPass of yore at WDW where it would “guarantee” our top 3 rides for a shorter wait. The rest is gravy.

So for a 4 year old at Disneyland I would prioritize: Mickey and Minnie’s runaway Railway, Small World, Autopia (this line can get long mid day especially) and probably would choose a bonus option for the parents to rider swap like thunder or Indiana (if Indiana is a priority for you guys book this first), and at DCA Toy Story Midway Mania, Monsters and Ariel (usually not needed but a good option if the line gets long.) I would plan on purchasing a $LL for Racers if possible.

With PH and G+ it means you will be able to ride your kiddos faves multiple times over your 3 days, bonus!

Goofy’s Kitchen and Storytellers should be easily booked, I often have gotten both day of or day before. I can’t comment on the dessert party as we aren’t dessert people and prefer the “splash zone” up front for our kids to have an unobstructed view, if they are still up by then.

Enjoy your trip!

would booking for the World of Color dessert party, breakfast at Storytellers, or Goofy's Kitchen be difficult?
I wouldn't expect any of those to be too difficult. They're popular, but the reservations won't disappear within minutes like Trader Sam's or Oga's.

Are you looking for breakfast or dinner at Goofy's and Storytellers?
What kiddie rides that aren't covered by Genie+ is a must do in the morning to avoid long wait times? My son is a big Cars fan so definitely want to do everything we can in Cars Land.
DCA is quieter than Disneyland in the morning. I'd start with Carsland first and then head to Pixar Pier. The little Mermaid ride is great and there's rarely a long line. My kids alos love the Golden Zephyr and Emotional Whirlwind.

I wouldn't expect any of those to be too difficult. They're popular, but the reservations won't disappear within minutes like Trader Sam's or Oga's.

Are you looking for breakfast or dinner at Goofy's and Storytellers?
Breakfast at both Goofy's and Storytellers. Good to know that they are not impossible to get. Thanks!

You’ve gotten some great advice here on rides and strategy, I wanted to chime in on the value of G+ with a little one. I think too often (now) we think it should be a “ride everything with little to no wait” pass, but that is not its intent. If it was, every ride would have a LL and it would be much more expensive. Personally I treat it like the FastPass of yore at WDW where it would “guarantee” our top 3 rides for a shorter wait. The rest is gravy.

So for a 4 year old at Disneyland I would prioritize: Mickey and Minnie’s runaway Railway, Small World, Autopia (this line can get long mid day especially) and probably would choose a bonus option for the parents to rider swap like thunder or Indiana (if Indiana is a priority for you guys book this first), and at DCA Toy Story Midway Mania, Monsters and Ariel (usually not needed but a good option if the line gets long.) I would plan on purchasing a $LL for Racers if possible.

With PH and G+ it means you will be able to ride your kiddos faves multiple times over your 3 days, bonus!

Goofy’s Kitchen and Storytellers should be easily booked, I often have gotten both day of or day before. I can’t comment on the dessert party as we aren’t dessert people and prefer the “splash zone” up front for our kids to have an unobstructed view, if they are still up by then.

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the reminder that Genie+ will make life easier! Sometimes the overplanner in me gets anxious at the unknown and lately with the nickel & dime-ing, I feel the need to squeeze every bit out of Genie+ lol. I keep telling myself that our goal is to do everything that is unique to DL and that we are having a good time. I'm hoping by April, my son will be tall enough for Racers. I LOVE that ride and he would too. He loves Cars!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter