It's been awhile

PandaBear & Boo

Second star to the right straight on til morning
Hello all!

I haven't been on Dis boards since 2019. Looking at booking a trip for next year either Spring 2024 or Fall 2024. I know that ALOT of changes have happened and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Can you please let me know what changes have happened and what is a must that I need to do/have when booking/going to WDW?

I am in a similar situation. here are some random things to be aware of as I understand it.

Until some time in jan 2024, you will need a park reservation as well as a ticket in order to get into a theme park. After that, you will only need a reservation if you have an Annual pass, I believe. You purchase date based tickets now.

It seems that a phone is now essential to any WDW visit. You will need the MDE app on it as well. You will be booking things as you go (such as ride times and mobile ordering meals/snacks).

The fastpass system no longer works. You now buy something called Genie+, I believe, and you can book ride times on the day that you are in the park - not in advance of your trip.

You have the option to pay to book some individual passes (ILL) for single rides that are popular. Whether or not you like that idea comes down to how much you are ready to spend, I guess. You can still try to book something called 'virtual queues" which may be difficult to get, but free, AFAIK.

If you stay at the Swan/Dolphin, they no longer use Disney buses and do not drop you at the usual MK bus stop, but at the TTC.

Disney's Magical Express doesn't run anymore. You can use a service by Mears( that is recently merged with another company) or use Uber/Lyft.

Some things may still be closed. some new restaurants have opened.

This is far from an all inclusive list. It is a lot to take in and I would suggest reading about it in bits such as read on the forums here. I'm treating it like a new vacation for a place that I have never been and doing research to prepare. Good Luck!!!!

ETA: prices have gone UP!!!

Welcome back! So ALOT has definitely changed but I wouldn't spend too much time really trying to get into the nitty gritty now since by the time you come in 2024, it will all change again....

Stuff changes even in a few months time and it's always a bit of a learning curve.

Do familiarize yourself with what Genie Plus is, formerly FP+. This is now the paid version of FP+. But don't get too far into the weeds given it may be an amended version by the time you visit.

A lot of the big changes, Babsy covered for you above but again, whatever you think you might learn from reading up on things now, it may all be completely different by the time you travel. The big highlights are definitely these...

• Genie+
  • no free disney bus from airport,
  • mod/value resorts have non-daily housekeeping, believe it's every other day, Deluxe is daily
  • parks no longer do extra magic hours....it's now only 30 min early for disney resort guests and on some Monday/Wednesday nights throughout the year, deluxe resort guests get extended evening hours.
  • Mobile ordering, it's the only way to go especially at the really crowded quick service- you can wait to pay with a cashier but it can be a really really long line.
Just having a basic understanding of know that you will likely pay more for everything, I mean everything, when you come unless you get a good discount but on average, my trips costs, year over year, are about 5-10% more depending on the makeup of the trip.

The biggest change is the addition of the "Pop Up" attractions when various animals from AK are let loose to roam freely in the other parks. So cute when the elephants cozy up to the Dumbo ride!:dumbo:

Welcome back! So ALOT has definitely changed but I wouldn't spend too much time really trying to get into the nitty gritty now since by the time you come in 2024, it will all change again....

Stuff changes even in a few months time and it's always a bit of a learning curve.

Do familiarize yourself with what Genie Plus is, formerly FP+. This is now the paid version of FP+. But don't get too far into the weeds given it may be an amended version by the time you visit.

A lot of the big changes, Babsy covered for you above but again, whatever you think you might learn from reading up on things now, it may all be completely different by the time you travel. The big highlights are definitely these...

• Genie+
  • no free disney bus from airport,
  • mod/value resorts have non-daily housekeeping, believe it's every other day, Deluxe is daily
  • parks no longer do extra magic hours....it's now only 30 min early for disney resort guests and on some Monday/Wednesday nights throughout the year, deluxe resort guests get extended evening hours.
  • Mobile ordering, it's the only way to go especially at the really crowded quick service- you can wait to pay with a cashier but it can be a really really long line.
Just having a basic understanding of know that you will likely pay more for everything, I mean everything, when you come unless you get a good discount but on average, my trips costs, year over year, are about 5-10% more depending on the makeup of the trip.
Thank you for the information. I understand that you don't receive your magic band at resort check in. So how does that work now. Do I have to wait and buy one upon arrival and have the resort get it set up for me?

Thank you for the information. I understand that you don't receive your magic band at resort check in. So how does that work now. Do I have to wait and buy one upon arrival and have the resort get it set up for me?
So if you have one already, you can use that, you can buy in advance of your trip or you can buy when you arrive. If you have a resort stay coming up, you can find some discounted bands online too and order them that way too.

If you buy one now or even when you get there, you can add it via the app, it's easy to do, you just add the serial number on the back. Easier than going to the desk as that will take more time.

Just open MDX, click on the "hamburger" menu on the bottom right, select MB and then your name and then you can activate, deactivate current MBs or you can LINK your new one.

I am in a similar situation.

This is far from an all inclusive list. It is a lot to take in and I would suggest reading about it in bits such as read on the forums here. I'm treating it like a new vacation for a place that I have never been and doing research to prepare. Good Luck!!!!
Thanks! If you come across any new information please pass it along. :)

So if you have one already, you can use that, you can buy in advance of your trip or you can buy when you arrive. If you have a resort stay coming up, you can find some discounted bands online too and order them that way too.

If you buy one now or even when you get there, you can add it via the app, it's easy to do, you just add the serial number on the back. Easier than going to the desk as that will take more time.

Just open MDX, click on the "hamburger" menu on the bottom right, select MB and then your name and then you can activate, deactivate current MBs or you can LINK your new one.
Thank you! :)

Your 2019 Magic Band should be fine for opening resort door, park entry, and Lightening Lanes.After a couple of years they don’t always work for Memory Maker. Start watching U Tube videos on Genie + and I.L.L.s - also read posted info on Dis thread.

I'm in almost the same situation, so I appreciate this post and the responses. I'm gonna miss the late-night extra magic hours...those were fun times.

Your 2019 Magic Band should be fine for opening resort door, park entry, and Lightening Lanes.After a couple of years they don’t always work for Memory Maker. Start watching U Tube videos on Genie + and I.L.L.s - also read posted info on Dis thread.
Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter