• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney with a 1 month old *new 2/13/15*

Subbing in now! I love reading about family going with kids and hearing the stories! Can't wait to hear more.

-P.S. My name is Emma too!

Hi Phil,
Still following along! Hope your "back-to-school" routine is coming together nicely. And I agree Monday the 25 was the HOTTEST day of the week.

Hi Phil,
Still following along! Hope your "back-to-school" routine is coming together nicely. And I agree Monday the 25 was the HOTTEST day of the week.

Great! Thanks for the check-in. We are definitely getting there with the routine ... I think still trying to figure out the order in the morning for getting everything ready, but having some structure is definitely helping both Olivia and Peter and both seem to really enjoy school so far.

Part 9 - MGM part 3: Hollywood Brown Derby Dinner
Monday, September 25th​

Before I continue Judi wanted me to mention that with the larger diapers that were all I was able to secure, despite doing some diaper origami we did have an outfit change later in the even for Miss Emma - so while better than nothing, they weren't ideal.

Ok, and with that - onto food! :lmao:

Our last trip was the first time we had seen Fantasmic! and we all loved it tremendously so we wanted to see it again but we didn't want to wait in line, in Florida, in August for over an hour just to get seats. So, I explored doing the Fantasmic! Dinning package as an alternative so we would have good seats (last time we were off to the side) and not have to be there as early at least.

We weren't crazy about the food at H&V in the past and given that we have amazing Italian in our area I tend to look for other options so that eliminated Mama Melrose. So that brought us to the Hollywood Brown Derby. I was a little nervous about this as I had read mixed reviews, but the menu sounded good and, as the plan was coming together, we didn't have a lot of "nice/fancy" meals planned so I thought this would work out and as it was our first day, give us a little break.

We checked in pretty much right at our ADR time (5:10pm), were handed a buzzer and told it would be about 15 mins for our table. So we sat and checked out the lobby (which, while small, had some need things to look at):

They have a ton of caricatures (which, by the way, is one of those words I can never spell correctly) throughout the restaurant including in the lobby. Apparently most are reproductions but some are originals:

1t0i_024_udpu1.jpg

Also this map which I loved. Mostly because I just love old maps but I am nothing if not invested in the "Style Center of the World!" ;)

3h95_caf_udpu1.jpg

After about 15 minutes I go to check to see how long the wait will be and they inform me about 15 minutes ... um, that's what you said 15 minutes ago.

giphy.gif

Another 15 minutes go by and I again go up to check on the wait and they inform me that we are the next table of our size. It takes about another 10 minutes and we are then called back, pretty much about 40 minutes past our ADR time. So that was a little annoying and the kids were getting a little punchy, but it is what it is.

We were led to a nice big booth in the corner which worked out really well as I felt we were a bit out of the way and gave us a nice view of the restaurant.

Our waiter swung by and said he would be right with us ... and was back 5-10 minutes later. If you hadn't picked up on this yet, this meal is taking us a while.

He came back and asked us what drinks we wanted and when he saw that we had the Fantasmic! packaged he explained that the package comes with any appetizer, entree, and dessert we want, including for the kids.

que.gif

I was certain that when I planned this the package came with only entree and dessert (was actually planning on getting the Cobb Salad to split extra). So I checked to ensure I heard correctly and he ensured me that we all got appetizers included.

I actually just went on the Disney website and it clearly indicates it is only Entree and Dessert that comes with the package, but I am certainly not complaining.

Our drinks then came. The kids got Chocolate Milks (no pictured, I assume you all have seen that before).

I got one of my favorite beers ever, Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde:

518x_a8b_udpu1.jpg

It was tremendous as always and was served in this giant goblet so I, of course, had to get a picture of myself holding it ... this also gives you an idea of where we were in the restaurant:

7nmh_b35_udpu1.jpg

Judi got (I believe) The Hollywood which was Absolut Vodka, Chambord, and Pineapple Juice. She liked it, but definitely wasn't her favorite drink of the trip - that would come the next day (Yeah! Positive foreshadowing!)

ab33_bd8_udpu1.jpg

The bread also was brought which was super warm and lovely and came with whipped butter with red sea salt - while nothing flavored or crazy this was just really nice bread to start a meal with:

79wg_f27_udpu1.jpg

A little while later the appetizers came. The kids both got one of their favorites - carrots and celery with ranch dipping sauce. I like that even the kids food came on interestingly shaped plates:

97o9_17f_udpu1.jpg

I, of course, got the Cobb Salad: "Our famous Cobb salad" made with finely chopped greens, turkey breast, bacon, egg, tomatoes, crumbled bleu cheese, avocado, chives, and Cobb dressing. I got the bacon on the side so that Judi could try it. Wound up basically just mixing the whole thing up, giving her a bit and then mixing in the bacon. It. was. so. good! Not often I suggest seeking out a salad but it was really good - I think just good incredients and the dressing was really, really tasty. Or perhaps I am just a fan of salads where you can barely see the lettuce :rotfl:

a40p_955_udpu1.jpg

Judi got the Blue Jumbo Lump spring rolls - Served with Snow crab claw and an asian slaw with spicy Miso Aioli. I tried some as well and we both thought this was quite good, but nothing extraordinary.

dch1_a89_udpu1.jpg

(Continued next post)

Part 10 - MGM part 4: Hollywood Brown Derby Dinner(continued)
Monday, September 25th​

Before our entrees came, Judi and I were done with our drinks and decided to switch to wine with our meats. The menus had suggested wine parings and the waiter offered to let us try those to see if we liked them, which I really appreciated (though it did take him about 10 minutes to come back with the samples). We found we both really liked them so ordered them (and am happy to say they both did pair really well with our meals)

I ordered the Sequoia Grove Cabenet Sauvignon. I like this artistic picture I took too - though I definitely don't need to view Judi through wine colored glasses ;)

1cai_80f_udpu1.jpg

Judi got the Castello Banfi Chianti Classico:

1kop_0ff_udpu1.jpg

Our main courses then came out. Peter got the kids fish, which was Grilled Black Grouper - served with oven-roasted red skin potatoes and seasoned broccoli. I tried it and it was pretty good, though Peter didn't eat too much of it (I think full of bread and carrots at this point):

1db6_3cb_udpu1.jpg

Olivia got the kids pasta: Whole-grain Penne Pasta - with marinara sauce served with baby green beans and carrots. This was pretty good too - I was pretty happy with the kids choices at this restaurant. She, too, though didn't eat much. I think dinner was just taking a long time and it was a long day ... plus, we let them play on our phones. We normally try to not do this at dinner but just couldn't help with how long it was taking.

I got the Charred-glazed Filet of Beef which was served with a red wine reduction, topped with a cabernet and roasted shallot butter, over white truffle oil wild forest mushroom mashed potato, sauteed haricot verts and golden beets. This was really good. The filet was cooked really well - a true medium rare which I liked and the potatoes. Oh, those potatoes. That was actually one of the main reasons I had gotten this dish as I read such positive reviews of the potatoes and they totally lived up to it:

1a4d_7e3_udpu1.jpg
(probably should have taken the picture at a different angle so you could see the potatoes better, they are under the filet)

Judi opted for the Herb-crusted Grilled Loin of Lamb - served with with roasted fingerling and marble potatoes tossed with arugula and ramp butter with a chianti and sweet onion reduction. She really, really like this and thought it was one of the best things she had all trip. The only thing was the relish or whatever it is (it's not in the listed description) that came in the little spoon just totally didn't go and was totally unnecessary ... like, totally.

1h3n_8c7_udpu1.jpg

After we all enjoyed our food it was time for dessert. Clearly my research was not up to date as I was unaware that dessert there was now a "trio" that you got to select from a list. Posting the full list in case this is new to others out there:

1mqq_7e2_udpu1.jpg

You can also see some of the after dinner drink flights -> Judi was tempted to get some Inniskillin as that is her favorite but opted not to push it the first night.

For dessert, no matter how much I tried to talk him into other options, Peter wanted the yogurt parfait for dessert. I mean, good for him, but not the direction I would have gone. He ate a little but, again, I think was kinda over dinner:

20bp_511_udpu1.jpg

Olivia went with what would have been my choice: Hidden Treasures - vanilla ice cream, Oreo cookie crumbs, gummy worms, and a fresh baked chocolate cookie. This was really cute looking and tasted good - though, to continue the trend, she didn't eat much

2646_2e8_udpu1.jpg

For my trio I selected the:
* Milk Chocolate Cremeux with Mojito Concoction on Almond Rocher
* Banana Toffee Cake on cocoa crunch and strawberry banana pearls
* Amaretto Flan - opalys white chocolate whip with an almond cookie

1t37_046_udpu1.jpg

I asked the waiter about the first one with the "Mojito Concoction" and he said it was a new option and really hard to describe but that everyone seemed to like it. I have to agree, even after I had trouble describing it - definitely had a bit of key-lime pie to it but a lot of other stuff to - but really like it. The amaretto flan was really good to.

Judi selected the:
* Double Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee
* Warm Berry Cobbler - with creme fraiche and orange blossom honey
* Grapefruit Cake

2vpl_62d_udpu1.jpg

I am very glad the grapefruit cake was an option for the trios as I really wanted to try it. Agree with most other people that it is quite good but nothing unbelievable. I think the Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee was the best of hers. She told me she liked all of them though and really liked the set-up with getting to pick 3 small desserts.

With that we got the check and headed out as we now had Fantasmic! to get to - and to go straight to as it was nearing 8pm. So all-in-all dinner took nearly 3 hours from our ADR time .... which also meant we missed our Tower of Terror FP+ window which was a bummer as I hoped to fit that in before Fantasmic! (thinking dinner wouldn't take more than 2 hours, guess my mistake).

But still time for one more silly picture:

40kx_446_udpu1.jpg

I honestly have a lot of trouble rating the Hollywood Brown Derby. The food was some of the best of our trip (probably second favorite) and the service was very pleasant and informative, etc. And there wasn't any one long wait for food it was more just all coming at a slower pace. If this was like a date night meal we probably would have enjoyed the pace, but being that it was taking up park time we wished it was a little faster - and obviously the wait at the beginning was a bit too long for my taste.

Now, one saving grace was that they included the appetizer in with our Fantasmic! package. Given that, this meal turned out to be a pretty good deal. While for adults it was $56.99, my entree alone was $43 - meaning I got the salad, the dessert, and the Fantasmic! VIP tickets for $13.99. Even Judi and the Kids made out pretty good by having the appetizer included

Put I am still not sure if it was supposed to be or not so I have trouble recommending it to people in case that was an error :confused3

I would definitely go back their in any event ... just would allow for some more time.

Next update: Fantasmic! and Fireworks!

starwars.gif

TTFN

First, I've never seen anyone use the term "Diaper Origami" before. Too funny!!! :rotfl2::cool1::rotfl2: :thumbsup2

What an awesome review of your dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby! I've never been there before, but I've got to say, it looks like a great place to eat (when the service isn't as slow as molasses :rotfl2:)

I'm also a fan of salads where lettuce isn't the primary ingredient!!! :lmao:

A little disappointed to read that Judi's spring rolls weren't extraordinary, because they looked amazing.

Looking forward to reading about the fireworks, and the dancing Vader is hilarious!

Aww man Phil but you missed the chance for the Mama Melrose steak. I'm not sure I can stand by that decision :p

Eek the wait times though. Not cool.

But yeah, from your review and the menu, I'm not planning on heading over to Hollywood Brown Derby anytime soon. At least you got your money's worth though.

Had to take a brief DIS hiatus because of schoolwork and "Real Life" but I am catching up now!

I would have the same reaction as Peter if I woke up in a Deluxe resort parking lot!

Wow, the room is gorgeous and what an incredible view!!!

I know you were worried about not getting to see a Frozen Sing-A-Long so I'm very happy you got tickets, even though you missed Star Tours :(

I also took a picture of that door. HOO HOO

Ughh that's unfortunate that you had to wait so long at Brown Derby. I get testy waiting for long periods so I can only imagine how it was with three kids. It looks like a great meal though!! I like the idea of the mini desserts a lot.

Great review. I was just reading it tonight and noticed in Post #3 you refer to Emma as DS. Not sure if you can fix it or not. She is a precious one.

Geez, 40 minutes past your ADR? I'd be a little ticked off too.

Awesome that your meals included apps! That would have been a nice surprise for us too.

I like this artistic picture I took too - though I definitely don't need to view Judi through wine colored glasses ;)

:thumbsup2:lmao:

Soooo glad to hear that the salad is still good. I had that salad app too and found it so delicious. But I remember the Grapefruit Cake being wonderful! Very light and citrusy cake, with a sweet icing. So they don't offer full sizes on the cake, only a mini?

Dinner looks fantastic, but 3 hours is crazy. Especially as you said with the kids! I don't blame you for breaking out the phones! 40 minutes just to be seated, ugh! I thought those days were over - haven't had any issue being seated within 2-5 minutes of checking in, though I do remember waiting for quite a bit a few years ago.

Anyway, it is a good thing your meals were delicious and monetarily worth it, esp with the appetizer! That's great!

So glad that you guys enjoyed Hollywood Brown Derby! I see such good reviews for it, so eventually we may give it another try. I wonder if the Crab Spring Rolls were having an off night, because they were delicious when we had them. I agree with you about the grapefruit cake :thumbsup2

Sorry about missing your Tower of Terror Fastpass, that is crazy that it took nearly 40 minutes to get seated, with an ADR! I am glad that we were lucky when we went there and only had to wait a few minutes. What a lucky and great surprise that you were able to get appetizers with your package.

We are leaving tomorrow for our trip so I will have to catch up when we get back! Definitely looking forward to reading more! :goodvibes

Sorry about the long wait for your ADR and the fact that the entire meal took so long :( but I'm glad the food was good, and that you got the bonus apps!

I got one of my favorite beers ever, Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde:

518x_a8b_udpu1.jpg

OK, I'm going to need from you a list awesome beers in Disney.

I was excited the other day when our supermarket across the street carried a local beer. (DC Brau, Corruption)

First, I've never seen anyone use the term "Diaper Origami" before. Too funny!!! :rotfl2::cool1::rotfl2: :thumbsup2

What an awesome review of your dinner at Hollywood Brown Derby! I've never been there before, but I've got to say, it looks like a great place to eat (when the service isn't as slow as molasses :rotfl2:)

I'm also a fan of salads where lettuce isn't the primary ingredient!!! :lmao:

A little disappointed to read that Judi's spring rolls weren't extraordinary, because they looked amazing.

Looking forward to reading about the fireworks, and the dancing Vader is hilarious!

Must admit that Judi came up with Diaper Origami - but that is definitely what we had to do

We really liked our meal at the HBD and I think would love to do it again as more of a "date night" place and (other than the wait to be seated) it was really just that it was a slower paced meal - which in some settings is great, but less so when you have a FP+ window to get to :rotfl:

I met be selling the spring rolls a little short as we definitely did enjoy them - might be more that I just liked the salad that much more ... that was definitely the standout of the appetizer course

Apparently the Dancing Darth Cru is a thing at Star Wars Weekends. Here is a link to them doing Back Street Boys and MC Hammer:
http://youtu.be/GIdK7IiTp4U

Aww man Phil but you missed the chance for the Mama Melrose steak. I'm not sure I can stand by that decision :p

Eek the wait times though. Not cool.

But yeah, from your review and the menu, I'm not planning on heading over to Hollywood Brown Derby anytime soon. At least you got your money's worth though.

Amber - it was totally your review of Mama Melrose that had me reconsider changing and I think if we ever do the dining package again we will do that. Totally.

yeah, I had been expecting a little wait for a table but was hoping since we were on the earlier side it wouldn't be too long - but 40 mins was definitely more than I had hoped for and just really cuts into park time

We loved the food but definitely not a place to seek out if the menu doesn't appeal to you ... I mean, it definitely isn't the speedy service that would make it up to you ;)

40 minutes past your ADR time is ridiculous. Especially when you've got 3 kids to try and entertain. I know it wouldn't be fair to others waiting, but sometimes I wish the hostesses would take into the account that families can only do so much to keep young ones from melting down. Their patience is thin. And if your kids are anything like mine is, they get super grumpy when dinner's late.:rotfl2:

That Cobb Salad looks delicious. And hey, who's going to turn down appetizers if the waiter insists?:rotfl:

Kind of disappointing that you had to miss your ToT FP. Not an unheard of situation, but still a bummer. Hopefully you had an awesome view of Fantasmic to make up for it.

And oh my goodness, that gif of Darth Vader and the Stormtroopers dancing is the funniest thing I've seen all morning.

Had to take a brief DIS hiatus because of schoolwork and "Real Life" but I am catching up now!

I would have the same reaction as Peter if I woke up in a Deluxe resort parking lot!

Wow, the room is gorgeous and what an incredible view!!!

I know you were worried about not getting to see a Frozen Sing-A-Long so I'm very happy you got tickets, even though you missed Star Tours :(

I also took a picture of that door. HOO HOO

Ughh that's unfortunate that you had to wait so long at Brown Derby. I get testy waiting for long periods so I can only imagine how it was with three kids. It looks like a great meal though!! I like the idea of the mini desserts a lot.

Darn "real life" always getting in the way ;)

Man, I would love it if I went to bed tonight and woke up in a Deluxe Parking Lot ... I mean, ideally in a car that just arrived there and not literally in the parking lot.

Yes, you recall correctly that I was very worried about not getting tickets to the sing-along with us arriving late so I was very relieved when I saw the stacks of tickets they had.

That must be one of the most photographed service doors in the world - I love that they took the time to do that. Very fun! (though, the pricing on the merchandise did not indicate that a Big Summer Blowout was going on)

It was just tough with the kids, and the lobby there isn't that big so felt like we were in the way of people coming and going - and you have to go through the lobby to get to the bathrooms so that increased traffic as well. Just not the best situation. If the meal itself wasn't so tasty I would have been really annoyed.

Great review. I was just reading it tonight and noticed in Post #3 you refer to Emma as DS. Not sure if you can fix it or not. She is a precious one.

Thank you - and thank you for noticing that error. I have gone back to correct it. Can only assume I copied Peter's line for format and neglected to change that. :goodvibes

Geez, 40 minutes past your ADR? I'd be a little ticked off too.

Awesome that your meals included apps! That would have been a nice surprise for us too.

:thumbsup2:lmao:

Soooo glad to hear that the salad is still good. I had that salad app too and found it so delicious. But I remember the Grapefruit Cake being wonderful! Very light and citrusy cake, with a sweet icing. So they don't offer full sizes on the cake, only a mini?

Yeah, I definitely don't expect to be seated right at my ADR time, but 40 mins is pushing it a bit - especially since it wasn't like we were a party of 20 that needed a special set up or anything, we just were in a standard booth.

Having the apps included definitely put a positive spin on the entire meal and made the wait it bit more palatable (get it, palatable, it's a pun ... ok, moving on)

The Salad was really good - just a lot of good stuff, great dressing, and minimal lettuce :rotfl2:

So for dessert you either got a trio or you could get a full size of the grapefruit cake, that was the only one you could get full size instead of a trio. But seeing it as part of the trio was perfect for us as we wanted to try it but wasn't sure if we would love it.

Looks like a delicious meal!! Thumbs up for a Unibroue!! :thumbsup2

The food was excellent - based on that it was one of the best meals we have ever had at Disney (though, food is only one part of the experience).

And that would not be the last Unibroue of the trip! (woohoo - more positive foreshadowing!)

Dinner looks fantastic, but 3 hours is crazy. Especially as you said with the kids! I don't blame you for breaking out the phones! 40 minutes just to be seated, ugh! I thought those days were over - haven't had any issue being seated within 2-5 minutes of checking in, though I do remember waiting for quite a bit a few years ago.

Anyway, it is a good thing your meals were delicious and monetarily worth it, esp with the appetizer! That's great!

It really was a good meal, but pushing 3 hours for an in-the-park meal is just too long in my mind. Especially it being our travel day and a hot day the phones were kind of a necessity. Plus it let Judi and I just enjoy the meal a bit more ... almost a mini-date ;)

This was by far the longest wait we had and other than like when we had to wait for a pre-meal picture or something really they only wait we had. I had read other reviews that mentioned waiting a bit at HBD so I wasn't surprised there was some, but 40 mins was way more than I was expecting. It would be another thing if they knew it would be that long and we could go do another character meet or something, oh well.

Definitely worth it from a $ with the apps - definitely helped make up for the wait. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter