It's our first (any probably only time)... help us make this trip amazing!

@chickapin parterre thanks, lol, no I just have been travelling to USA for many years. I guess Im just more aware of the differences between Ireland and UK and California. So many Irish and UK people have such different expectations to the reality or are not aware of how something as simple as the baking heat and strong bright sunlight affects their bodies.

and like you , Irish and UK people have a stereotypical image of America.

I think the biggest piece of advice from me (and this is general) - always have a FastPass. If you guys currently don't have a FastPass, go get one (and one person can get them with your tickets.)

As far as Magic Mornings go, if there are two during your stay, we like to book a character breakfast (Minnie Mouse) for before the park opens - so if MM starts at 8, and park opens at 9, we try and get an 830 reso. Reason being that there is a separate lineup for breakfast reservations, so we can avoid a line going into the park, and then by the time we're done, the park is still just opening and we're in already. You can also send someone during breakfast to run get a fastpass from one of the more popular rides.

Thanks for all the great advice. Thankfully Grandma is very active!! Probably more so than me so I don't have that to worry about. We just booked the ariel restaurant with prioroty viewing area for world of colour show, hopefully that was a good thing to do... i am hoping we can dine (booked at 6.50) see the show (presumably 9?) and still get the chance to do radiator springs in the dark. ANy thoughts on how possible that will all be?

Thanks again :)

Also... what is EE??? I am not up with all the acronyms!!

EE is Early Entry, although sometimes people use MM and EE interchangeably, which is not correct.

MM is what you get as a result of buying 3+ day tickets. It is only available at Disneyland, not DCA, and is generally on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. (I say generally because once in a blue moon it changes due to special events.)

EE is for guests of Disney resort hotels only (ie, Paradise Pier, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian) and is available every day. At Disneyland it's the same days as MM, and at DCA it's the opposite days -- Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

And just to make it even more confusing, there's now "EEMH" or "Extra Extra Magic Hour," which is one hour after parks CLOSE at DCA solely for the purpose of riding GTG. This is available to Disney resort guests only. Supposedly a limited time thing.

We just booked the ariel restaurant with prioroty viewing area for world of colour show, hopefully that was a good thing to do... i am hoping we can dine (booked at 6.50) see the show (presumably 9?) and still get the chance to do radiator springs in the dark. ANy thoughts on how possible that will all be?

Booking a dining package with priority viewing is definatly a good choice. In June 2016 I did the dining package at Wine Country Tratoria and it was much better than when I saw World of Colour in 2015 using the Fast Pass

I had a look at the caladender. It seems there are 2 showings of World of Colour, one at 9.pm and one at 10.15pm.

Usually when there are 2 showings, the cut off point with the dining packages is 6.30pm.

Dining reservations before 6.30pm will get tickets for the 9.pm show and dining reservations after 6.30pm will get tickets for the 10.15pm show.

As you have a 6.50pm reservation, I would expect that you will be going to the 10.15pm show. California Adventures Park closes at 10pm.

Your best plan of action if you want to do Radiator Springs in the dark, is to be in that area and join the queue around 8.45pm. Go on the ride, and then head over to the World of Colour area. Once the first show is over and all the people leave, they will allow the next lot into the viewing areas.

The dining package viewing areas are right down the front. I was at the 9pm show and they started letting us into the viewing area at 8.15pm. I managed to get right at the railings in the second level. The first level is called the splash zone, you will get wet in the area. I was at the railings just behind the splash zone. The viewing areas do fill up quickly. Some families only arrived at 8.50pm for the 9pm show and got angry at the lack of space. I heard them shouting at the CMs that they had paid for the viewing area and expected a better view. Um we ALL paid for the viewing area, some of us just got there early to get the best position!

So we are travelling over to Anaheim for the first time from the UK early August. We have the 3 day park hopper (and then a day at Universal). My daughter is 9 and pretty brave and my son turns 6 whilst in the parks!

Yay! My mother and I returned from our first trip to Disneyland several weeks ago, and we loved it. We are from the Midwest USA, just for context for my answers.

I will read through the forums for guidance but it seems such a minefield. Key thigs for us as this may be our only visit due to living so far so what are the things we really MUST do? We are staying in a condo about 10 mins from the park.

Are you guys "into" Disney such as the history of the park and Walt? Have you been to Disney World in Florida before?

What time should we aim to arrive?

If you want to be in the front of the line, then be there 45-60 min before the park opens. If you want to be near the front, but not in the absolute lead, 35-45 min before open. What everyone says here on the boards is true; you can do more in the first hour of the park being open then any other time of day. Plan to do solid riding for that first hour at the very least.

If we go back for a rest, what's the best time to do this?

We were closer, as we stayed on property, but we did go back to the hotel in the heat of the day at around 1:30 - 3:00. We would eat lunch in the parks, then take in a ride or two, and shop on our way out to the hotel, that way if we bought anything it was going straight back to the room and we wouldn't have to carry it.

What are the rides we simply must do?

We were going for the history aspect of Disneyland, so rode all the "original" rides we could. But, it all depends on your priorities and likes.

What shows should we priototise?

World of Color was excellent, and we really liked the fireworks at Disneyland (again, the tips given on this board were spot-on; if the fireworks are a priority, try to seem them on the earliest night in your trip that you can, because they can be cancelled... they were cancelled the first night we tried.) They were to start at 9:30pm, there was an announcement shortly before then that they "may" be cancelled and then they were cancelled at around 9:40.

On my son's birthday... what can we do to make it extra special?

Definitely get him a birthday button, as others have said, and be sure to tell them wherever you eat if that won't make him crawl under the table! lol Castmembers and Characters who see his button will comment, so if he has certain characters he wants to meet, make sure his button is on or he tells the character it's his birthday.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. FYI we have Grandma with us who is happy to queue for us/walk anywhere we need her to as she doesn't like the rides!!

Even being our first trip there, it felt like we had plenty of time with 3 full days. So, be more excited than anxious! We are from a place in the US that gets hotter than Anaheim, and a ton more humid. Yes, it was hot and sunny (in the 90's) but we never really felt overwhelmed by it, it really was a "dry heat." lol The only time we really "felt" it was standing in line for Pirates of the Caribbean in the full sun for around 30 min (remember the cues here are largely outside). There were no clouds in the sky, by the way, which did make a difference. If your fam wears hats, definitely take them with, and drink drink drink water. You can get free icewater from any counter service restaurant you see, just by asking. I also drank out of the water fountains, and handled that water just fine (taste was fine and didn't get sick). When the sun goes down there is a lot of relief from the heat.

There will be rides that break down, even if you are in line for them for a long time, and you'll have to give up on it for awhile til they fix it. Pirates of the Caribbean did break down while we were in line for around 40 min, and we had to come back the next day.

At sundown every evening they have the "Shaboom" at Cars Land. That is when all of the neon is lit up on the street, and was a neat thing to see. We grabbed supper at Flo's V8 Cafe and then hung out outside until the lighting.

Hope you have a safe trip and that it's a blast!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter