• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"It's simply gotten too big, too commercial, too regimented"

What's your feeling about the article?

• It definitely reflects my opinion!

• I agree with most of its points!

• I agree with some and disagree with some of his points.

• I disagree with most of its points!

• It's completely the opposite of my opinion!

Results are only viewable after voting.
We don't plan anything and have a great time. I can see where planning might be necessary for a single day, but if your vacation is several days, this isn't necessarily true. Our only plan is that we will catch the first bus that comes to the hotel.

My plan is to plan so I don't HAVE to catch the first bus that comes to my hotel. Instead I will have a leisurely breakfast and take my time rather than killing myself to get to the park at RD because I did not plan.

I dislike the new fast pass system. I enjoyed the days of leisurely strolling through the parks. I don't want my every second planned out for me.

We are finding it much more leisurely now that we don't have to run back and forth across the parks obtaining and later using paper FP. And knowng ahead of time they will not conflict with dining.

I have felt very lucky the last couple of trips that we have taken. My brother and I are grown, but we still live with our mother and we are going through college right now. It makes it very easy on us to be able to go to WDW on very off times of the year. 2012 we went in Oct. for Food and Wine and we did make a ton of dinner reservations, but we also tried to do whatever we wanted as far as the parks were concerned. The stand by lines were even the most popular rides weren't so long that we had to get a bunch of FP's. This last time in May 2014, for flower and garden(which BTW is as good as F&W and much prettier with the flowers) we went as soon as our classes were done because college always ends a couple weeks before grade schools let out, and again, we had no trouble just doing whatever we felt like doing besides dinner reservations, because again the crowds were at a minimum right before all the summer craziness starts.

I'm going to Disney on Jan 23 and staying 2 weeks.

I just did my magic bands last night and haven't bought a ticket yet.

Which means I haven't booked a single fastpass.

I went last February and didn't have too much of a problem doing what I wanted.

Staying onsite still has its perks. If you do early entry, you can still do some rides and attractions without long waits.

I'm probably going to get an annual pass and I have a stash of gift cards to buy it with. That presents a minor problem as I can't pay with a dozen gift cards over the phone or online that I know of. Do I give up my discount (14.5%) to be able to book fastpass early? Decisions decisions!

I did not at first like all the preplanning. Now, don't really care. It's still going to be warm in Florida in January and February and I'll be on vacation, wandering through theme parks, eating out and just enjoying life!

I realize I am not the norm for the disboards - or maybe I am? I think all the new stuff affects younger families more then it does my age group. Young families seem to be more on a schedule then I am.

Everybody seems to stress so much about avoiding lines. Lines can also be fun - great opportunity to people watch!

I'm going to Disney on Jan 23 and staying 2 weeks.

I just did my magic bands last night and haven't bought a ticket yet.

Which means I haven't booked a single fastpass.

I went last February and didn't have too much of a problem doing what I wanted.

Staying onsite still has its perks. If you do early entry, you can still do some rides and attractions without long waits.

I'm probably going to get an annual pass and I have a stash of gift cards to buy it with. That presents a minor problem as I can't pay with a dozen gift cards over the phone or online that I know of. Do I give up my discount (14.5%) to be able to book fastpass early? Decisions decisions!

I did not at first like all the preplanning. Now, don't really care. It's still going to be warm in Florida in January and February and I'll be on vacation, wandering through theme parks, eating out and just enjoying life!

I realize I am not the norm for the disboards - or maybe I am? I think all the new stuff affects younger families more then it does my age group. Young families seem to be more on a schedule then I am.

Everybody seems to stress so much about avoiding lines. Lines can also be fun - great opportunity to people watch!

I think what sets you aside from the people that stress is the dates you are going. People that go in off times already have hurdled most of the stressful things. :thumbsup2

Let's see, it's Tuesday so it must be Belgium. (some of you old timers will get it.)

so the poll is closed so I could not vote.

In general, I can definitely see where the author is going.

IMO, Disney has totally changed it's focus from providing top notch experiences to simply stuffing more people into the parks.

Now my family hates fp+ and the magic bands. we are die hard old head disneyphiles so it's not like we did not want to like them. believe me we did.

But on the other hand, Disney is a business. their primary objective like most of corporate America is to please the stockholders.

We still have great times at Disney but "magical" is no longer the adjective we use to describe our vacations.
We use to love going for 7-10 days, now 5 is more than enough (some times we lwant to leave after 3). we use to be annual visitors, now we skip years and have just as great vacations other places.

We finally decided to sell our dvc but we'll still go to the mouseworld.

It absolutely is a valid comparison. The crux of the system is designed to "even the load" and spread things out amongst the park. If management was focused on Imagineering and developing new, innovative rides that people actually want to experience (i.e. take a hint from the competitor down I4), this would have accomplished the same goal.

Precisely, but the "Disney can do no wrong" crowd won't get it - until they notice the number of guests at WDW deluxe resorts getting on those Mears vans in the morning to head down I4 is growing exponentially by the day. pirate:

Precisely, but the "Disney can do no wrong" crowd won't get it - until they notice the number of guests at WDW deluxe resorts getting on those Mears vans in the morning to head down I4 is growing exponentially by the day. pirate:

:stir:

Can we please start the New Year where this becomes a board where people can discuss Rumors and News without being unnecessarily snarky?

The number of guests leaving WDW to go to Universal "growing exponentially" just will not happen. An example of exponentional growth means on Monday 2 guests would leave... Tuesday 4 guests... Weds 8 guests... Thursday 16 guests... why in two weeks that would be 16,384, guests leaving WDW per day to go to Universal.... if that happened, then they would go back to WDW because the lines for Gringotts would be 24 hours long just to ride :rotfl:

For what it is worth... which is worse? Those who REALLY love a product and continue to spend money on it or at it.... or those who profess to be disgusted and dissapointed with the 'direction' that the same aforementioned product is heading, yet continues to spend money on it or at it, all the while complaining about those who REALLY love the product? :confused3

EVERY and ANY business can do better. Both Universal and Disney have things they can do better... but both Disney and Universal have things they each do well. There is no law against liking... and visiting both. WDW fans should welcome strong competition from down I4, it will spur the Mouse to do better.... and provide us all with great vacation opportunities.

Can we please start the New Year where this becomes a board where people can discuss Rumors and News without being unnecessarily snarky?

The number of guests leaving WDW to go to Universal "growing exponentially" just will not happen. An example of exponentional growth means on Monday 2 guests would leave... Tuesday 4 guests... Weds 8 guests... Thursday 16 guests... why in two weeks that would be 16,384, guests leaving WDW per day to go to Universal.... if that happened, then they would go back to WDW because the lines for Gringotts would be 24 hours long just to ride :rotfl:

For what it is worth... which is worse? Those who REALLY love a product and continue to spend money on it or at it.... or those who profess to be disgusted and dissapointed with the 'direction' that the same aforementioned product is heading, yet continues to spend money on it or at it, all the while complaining about those who REALLY love the product? :confused3

EVERY and ANY business can do better. Both Universal and Disney have things they can do better... but both Disney and Universal have things they each do well. There is no law against liking... and visiting both. WDW fans should welcome strong competition from down I4, it will spur the Mouse to do better.... and provide us all with great vacation opportunities.

While I completely agree with you, " exponentially" is a subjective term-- you assumed he was using 2 as the exponent, while he could have been using 1...or even 0. It wasn't specified. Although then " increasing" wouldn't have fit the description. Maybe 1.25?....... :scratchin

:
I hope you're right. WDW doesn't seem very motivated. IMO FP+ has been a really disappointing experience and lately all I see Disney doing is closing attractions. Yes, there is Avatar, but this was announced 3 years ago and I think it's at least 2 years to completion. Also as far as DHS, all I've seen are rumors from the fans, but nothing concrete. On the other hand, Universal continues to build and offer new guest experiences. It's amazing how much they've accomplished in a short period of time and I don't see them slowing down. It's great!

Let me start out by saying this has spiraled out of control...

1st off. In regards to all the planning involved.

I know a few of you said this already but I'll reiterate. Part of the fun and allure for me is all the planning/ homework, and retooling. This gets us in the mood as soon as we know when and where we are staying. Even when we were non DVC, members this was the case. If you're a Disney nut (which most are on here) then you'll understand what I mean. There's nothing like knowing that you got an ADR for Le Cellier, or Cali grill months ahead of time and don't have to worry about this. If you need to change it so be it.
This also comes into play now with MB's, and Fp+. Scoring TSMM at the time you want 2 months prior to arrival is very rewarding. Also get to go on at RD so there's our fix.

The only park that was sort of difficult was at the MK where things are more spread out and much more attractions, but being that Nov. Was our 1st FP+ experience , it'll only get better moving forward. Gone are the days where I was the (RUNNER), and grabbing all the paper FP's. Where's the spontaneity in that:confused3. Although I didn't mind it at the time, it sure is less of a hassle not having to trek across the park like a banshee anymore. Regardless of the New FP system , we always knew what park we were going to on what days, way ahead . We based it on our Adr's. So , this had no bearing on anything.

Now in terms of the magic! After visiting 12 or so times and going on all the same rides that I rode when I first visited back in 1997, I/we still are amazed just as much now as we were back then. Now don't get me wrong, there are some things that they/Disney do that we don't dont always agree with, but by far they are much smarter than I am. I'll keep on going to Disney for years to come, whether they change things or not. There's NO other place where ( No matter where ) that every CM or (employee) makes you feel as you are the most special person in the world. This goes for any ,and I mean any CM. From the person at the check in counter to the people serving the food/ vendors, to the ones working the rides, to the entertainers, to the bus drivers, or lifeguards ,to the maids, and everyone else that I forgot. This is why we bought DVC and know what we are coming Home to each and every time..:goodvibes

I hope Disney changes, but I also hope Disney doesn't change.:confused3 Thats kinda tricky but , Do you understand what I mean?

:thanks:
:smickey:

This is a great post, EVERY word of it.
I just have a feeling that the general population on here will not agree with you.

I'm heading down 417 after work to go to the craziness that is going to be on tonight. And I most certainly will not be alone. :hyper:

While I completely agree with you, " exponentially" is a subjective term-- you assumed he was using 2 as the exponent, while he could have been using 1...or even 0. It wasn't specified. Although then " increasing" wouldn't have fit the description. Maybe 1.25?....... :scratchin

LOL... I teach biology so I went with the exponential growth of a fertilized egg... using days... and figuring also that I had to start with whole people rather than .87 of a guest... but of course you are right :thumbsup2

I will play the waiting game to return to Disney World. I will wait for harder times when Disney doesn't have the big crowds. It has happened before and I feel it will happen again. In the meantime, I'm enjoying other vacation destinations and I haven't looked back in the last two years.

I definitely don't enjoy the FP+ system. We did better with the old system. I know this is the way it will be now, but harder times will get the stand by lines to be more reasonable and manageable. If those times don't come I'm fine not returning to Disney World. I'm over it basically. I have 49 trips under my belt; so, I've enjoyed Disney World through the years.

I don't want to have to account for every minute of the day with scheduling meals and rides. And heaven forbid if you try to change your mind; that's a complete disaster.

LOL... I teach biology so I went with the exponential growth of a fertilized egg... using days... and figuring also that I had to start with whole people rather than .87 of a guest... but of course you are right :thumbsup2

Awesome-- glad you took that with the humor that was intended.

I don't believe its to big, nor do I believe its any more commercial then any other major theme park/resort. I do feel its getting to regimented!

AKK

it simply depends on the type of person for those who can't try to do a little planning maybe disney is not for them, there are a lot of guests so it makes sense you need to plan. and reserve stuff.

personally the magic is still alive throughout the parks

Don't you mean maybe Disney WORLD might not be for them? I missed this thread initially because we were at DisneLAND where showing up at the Esplanade and deciding to turn right or left is the only planning required.

Did they close all the standby lines???? You still can be spontaneous, just have to actually wait in a line.

No they did not close the standby lines. They just removed 70-90% of its capacity for FP+. It might still be called standby, bit it ain't what it used to be.

The wait times in general are never going to be under 20 minutes anymore, except for a small number of attractions (Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents that sort of thing). DisneyWorld has just got too popular. You just have th make the most of it and ride what you really want to. I personally would rather wait 90 minutes for Thunder Mountain instead of having three goes on the carousel.

Odd that the only rides you mention with short waits are the few left without FP.

I'm a perfect example even. I'm a roller coaster aficionado. I've gone to Cedar Point, most of the Six Flags, Magic Mtn when I lived in Cali, etc. When I was a kid, I could hang out at SF all day. As an adult I'd go and have fun... now as an older adult I notice I want to go a little less. Yes I'd have fun going, and I'll surely try the new Goliath, but I have no desire to ride it 10 times. My DS12? He'd be happy to get in line all day long, over and over. Once a year, I'd be happy to go too. 5 times a year? I'd be happy to drop him off for 4 of them and get some other stuff done. People evolve. The theme park is just as fun as ever, I'm just older.

Well, now I'm just confused. I could have sworn an earlier post of yours in this thread said that kids didn't care how many rides they did, that it was just the parents.

For me, planning a Disney trip somehow IS part of the magic. The anticipation, the buildup. Booking that dinner reservation, scheduling those fast passes. Do your research ahead of time to allow for a more pleasant experience when you arrive. Furthermore, if you have the flexibility to go during an off season, DO IT! My trip during the first week of February last year was great. We had everything planned out, but once we got there had the freedom to make spontaneous changes to our plans, even for the most popular restaurants and attractions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter