• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

It's time for Draconian Chinese measures in this country!

It is time to be pro-active and not reactive. We are just about 11 days behind Italy as far as cases and those numbers are probably 10 times more than the numbers show because we are not testing. It is time for all states and cities to order a shelter in place for three weeks to slow the spread of this virus. We need contact tracing, we need more testing and we need more people to just stay home. The crowded beaches in Florida show people just do not get it.

The sick and dying are going to overwhelm our nation's hospitals and our medical staff is going to have to make difficult decisions who lives or dies.

Got COPD? You don't get treatment.

Insulin Dependent Diabetes? You don't get treatment

Smoker? You don't get treatment

Immunocompromised? You don't get treatment.

Imagine having funerals for loved ones you cannot even attend. This is a crisis that will get worse, far worse, before it gets better. I was called all sorts of names for staying that WDW and DL would be shutting down and weeks later I was proven sadly right.

Please say home and avoid people. For introverts this is easy, but for others it will be difficult.

Shelter in place now for three weeks and we can slow this spread. No human hosts, no transmission and the virus dies!

Here's something that may calm you down. Although I'm pretty sure you just like getting people riled up.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...ve-in-treating-coronavirus-officials-say/amp/

You can't really compare the cases in the US against the cases in Italy. First off, as of today, Italy has 35,713 cases with 2,978 deaths. The US is at just 8,020 cases and 125 deaths. That's an 8% mortality rate for Italy and just 2% for the US. The total infection rate for Italy is 0.059% while the US is at 0.0024%. When you look at hospital beds per capita, yes, Italy has a higher rate at 3.18, but, the US has a rate of 2.77 beds per 1,000 residents. So, Italy has a total of 192K beds to the US having 912K beds.

However, the bigger question is how many ICU/Critical Care beds are available. The US has 34.7 ICU beds per 100K citizens, while Italy has just 12.5, that's a vast difference.

In Italy, 1/4 of the population is 65 or older, the very group that is most at risk. In the US, only 15% of our population is 65 or over.

When you look at raw numbers, we're close to Italy on 3/9, but even then, they had 7,400 cases for an infection rate of 0.012% and had 463 deaths for a mortality rate of 6%, so even comparing raw numbers, we're not close to what Italy was 10 days ago.

Is it dire? Not really. This is a smaller infection than our yearly flu, we have yet to see how it plays out, but to go to the extreme of welding people into their houses to prevent infections is a step too far. We're already taking measures to flatten the curve and have a better healthcare system in place.

You cannot compare US to Italy yet just for the sheer fact our testing has not been up to the speed so we have absolutely no idea on our numbers. No doubt, we will see a skyrocket of positive cases in the next 2 weeks.

Look, I will admit. If you asked me 10 days ago I would have been thinking our country was off its rocker shutting it all down. Today, no. Not because I am afraid of dying. Because we need to do what South Korea did, flatten the curve. They learned through H1N1 what to do. South Korea didn't have to enforce social distancing like we are now because this isn't their first rodeo. They adhered to the warnings as soon as they came out. We didn't, just look at videos of last weekend at bars full of St Patricks Day parties, WDW, Florida beaches, and the French Quarter.

THIS.IS.NOT.THE.FLU. All the experts are saying it is far more contagious than the seasonal flu (I heard up to 30 times, idk about that statistic) Regardless, comparing it to the flu is not doing anyone good right now.

I don't want to be Italy. I don't want to be Spain. But if we don't do our part we could end up that way. All I am saying is at the end of the day I'd rather be more cautious then not.

THIS.IS.NOT.THE.FLU. All the experts are saying it is far more contagious than the seasonal flu (I heard up to 30 times, idk about that statistic) Regardless, comparing it to the flu is not doing anyone good right now.

Everyone knows it's not influenza. But the fact is the symptoms are similar, and the transmission methods and prevention methods are exactly the same (they are also the same for colds/any respiratory virus). It's better adapted at getting itself spread for sure.
Lazy/ignorant people maybe are just complacent because the flu is always around? If you are a gross person and don't regularly take precautions I guess this is a good reminder?

Everyone knows it's not influenza. But the fact is the symptoms are similar, and the transmission methods and prevention methods are exactly the same (they are also the same for colds/any respiratory virus). It's better adapted at getting itself spread for sure.
Lazy/ignorant people maybe are just complacent because the flu is always around? If you are a gross person and don't regularly take precautions I guess this is a good reminder?

I only mentioned flu because the poster I quoted said it was a smaller infection than our flu.

Not everyone knows ... I am still hearing many people on social media touting the flu is more deadly. I am sick of it.

I'm still going out for walks everyday.
Stopping in a store if we need something.
Renting movies at RedBox.
Pick up take-out to support our local restaurants.

There really aren't that many people out to be honest. Not hard to stand 6 ft away from people at the stores.

Basically what we are doing. Morning walk and evening walk. Kids playing in our backyard. Getting food and supplies when we need to. Ordering takeout for pickup. Trying to maintain social distancing when out. Cleaning and washing hands as much as we can. That's all we can do.

I only mentioned flu because the poster I quoted said it was a smaller infection than our flu.

Not everyone knows ... I am still hearing many people on social media touting the flu is more deadly. I am sick of it.

Most people are throwing around data and statistics like they have any idea what it means. The fact is all the data we have right now is snapshot. It only represents what is happening at this point in time. It is a fallacy to state as fact that this virus is XX times more deadly than this other virus without the full extent of data, which is still being collected.

WE DO NOT KNOW how many people are infected in the US. They are only testing the sickest of the sick. We don't know what we don't know. A friend who is sick was denied testing...even though two people who work next to him were diagnosed with Covid. He was told that there was "no point" to testing him because it would take a week, and in that time, he'd either be well or in the hospital. So, there you have it. That's "testing" in the US. Great. Italy tests everyone who is even suspected of illness because they (unlike the US) are actually USING the WHO tests. Also, we are 11-14 days BEHIND Italy. Comparing our numbers of diagnosed cases TODAY with theirs is meaningless. Looked at the "equivalent" number of days post the beginning in each country and we are "winning" (i.e., we have MORE cases than they did...even with our pathetic testing standards). Yeah?

People on the internet: This thing is a killer virus. Look at the numbers. The percentage of people who die is way higher than the flu.

Same people on the internet: We don't even know how many people have this cause people aren't being tested. There's a lot more people out there who have it.

So if so many more people have it than we know, the fatality percentage is lower right? I mean testing sure isn't going to increase the amount of dead is it?

I'm all for taking this seriously. I think it's bad news because smarter people than me in labs say it's bad news. But Jesus some people need to stop watching the nightly news.

I understand that the Chinese government has imposed strict quarantine requirements, massive screening and testing, and travel bans.

I can understand that overwhelmed medical facilities may have had to triage medical treatment at times. I think that there are reports that this has also occurred in Italy.

I have not heard that there was whole scale withholding of medical treatment based on pre-existing health conditions.

how are the measures that you propose Chinese?

To the bolded - I do think getting outside for a walk, even for just 30 minutes, is a good thing for everyone. No need to stay cooped up inside your house.
I'm not saying go to a park and congregate, but just walk around the neighborhood.

Go for a bike ride on a trail if you have one near you.

Go for a hike in the woods.

Lots of things you can do alone outside. :)

And that's exactly why we don't need draconian, Chinese or Italian-style measures. We're a very different place. We need to educate people about the importance of social distancing and close down non-essential businesses, but we shouldn't be going to the "can't even be out in your own yard" measures that China and Italy have imposed. There's no need, in such a huge country with such a dispersed population, and it just isn't necessary to inflict the mental and physical health consequences of telling people to stay 100% at home when it is so easy for most of us to spend time outdoors without ever coming in close contact with other people. In some dense, urban cores stricter measures may be needed, but not for the country as a whole.

Now in France you aren't allowed to leave your house without a paper given to you (how?) that outlines where you need to go.

And that's exactly why we don't need draconian, Chinese or Italian-style measures. We're a very different place. We need to educate people about the importance of social distancing and close down non-essential businesses, but we shouldn't be going to the "can't even be out in your own yard" measures that China and Italy have imposed. There's no need, in such a huge country with such a dispersed population, and it just isn't necessary to inflict the mental and physical health consequences of telling people to stay 100% at home when it is so easy for most of us to spend time outdoors without ever coming in close contact with other people. In some dense, urban cores stricter measures may be needed, but not for the country as a whole.

I guess the issue would be how people voluntarily choose to keep their distance when they're theoretically allowed to be in a shared space. I've tried some of that, including going to restaurants, shopping, etc. I've seen many people who simply don't practice any form of "social distancing". I admit I went out on the last night before the stay at home order came in my county. There were quite a few people who still greeted each other like nothing was different. When I went to a supermarket I saw people who stood right in the middle of aisles just like they would have before, expecting people to squeeze around them. In lines many people were trying to space reasonably, but many just reverted to what they would have done before.

And you're not going to be able to take care of all the people who believe this overblown or a conspiracy. Perhaps the people who think that if they contract COVID-19, they will likely just get mildly sick and live, but without thinking they might already be infected and how it affects people who are more vulnerable.

And there are reports of young, generally healthy people who have died after being infected.

Even in the city (we're smack in the middle of Chicago) there's plenty of room to walk the neighborhoods and still keep at least 6 feet away from each other. Luckily we have a lot of parks with walking paths all over and just walking the city blocks.

Plus, warmer weather is coming and people can start gardening!

And I guess I'm going to be a lone dissenter on this one, but I don't think having to walk past someone in a grocery aisle is all that risky.

Most people are throwing around data and statistics like they have any idea what it means. The fact is all the data we have right now is snapshot. It only represents what is happening at this point in time. It is a fallacy to state as fact that this virus is XX times more deadly than this other virus without the full extent of data, which is still being collected.

So true and based on he fact that we KNOW there are people walking around with Covid-19 that are not diagnosed/tested, the numbers will only go down in the long run.

Even in the city (we're smack in the middle of Chicago) there's plenty of room to walk the neighborhoods and still keep at least 6 feet away from each other. Luckily we have a lot of parks with walking paths all over and just walking the city blocks.

And I guess I'm going to be a lone dissenter on this one, but I don't think having to walk past someone in a grocery aisle is all that risky.

It's not walking past that concerns me. But taking home that bunch of bananas that Typhoid Mary was just feeling up does.

One could just look up the death rates in Ital
:crazy2::p

Well yeah, that!

At some point we just have to close our eyes and jump in! Hopefully sick people aren't out loving up on our fruit, but what can we do? Go home, scrub your fruit and hope for the best!

That is the funniest thing I have read all day, thank you :worship:

Outside walking is fine. We go every day. Just stay away from others. The vitamin d helps fight the virus too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter