I've never roasted turkey before -

Spoisal

DIS Veteran
I want to get a Turkey that has a built in pop-up timer (don't laugh - this will be my first Turkey - and the in-laws will be there). What is the best brand of turkey that has this timer? Any suggestions?

I always liked the Butterball brand, until I read somewhere that the fat content is high - duh, it's called butter ball! ;) I find that most brands are about the same & usually just go for one that's on sale.

I have noticed, though, that often Wampler-Longacre birds aren't cleaned as well as some of the others. (The pin feathers, excess fat & such.) I shouldn't say that - they're a local company, but . . . . I always go over the outside of the bird, even though we don't eat the skin. I do use the juice to make gravy for DH & don't like the thought of - never mind!

I don't want to be insulting, but I recently found out that a number of people don't know that there is a bag of giblets inside the bird. You have to remove them before roasting - even if you don't stuff it. While you've got your hand in there, be sure that there is no left-over "junk" (dark red). I've noticed that a number of companies are no longer removing certain things.

Good luck with your bird!:D

I always get an oven bag (I think Reynolds makes them) to cook the bird in. It holds in the juices and as an added bonus, makes for easy cleanup! I get the kind with the pop up timer, usually a Butterball. (Hey, Thanksgiving only comes around once a year---might as well enjoy it!)

MaryJ,
If you use an oven bag how do you know that the timer has popped up?

the winter.....I love turkeys......I get a 20 plus pounder for Thanksgiving and I put it in a big roaster .....I stuff it.....and I wait ususally five to six hours......it is always moist and good.......when I clean out the inners from the turkey.....I cut off that big hunk of fat near the opening too......blaaaaah......mine doesn't pop up or anything either....but the legs sort of move away from the breast area......so that is how I know the little sucker is almost done...........yummy.....I can hardly wait to eat it.....

any hints for a complete turkey novice - I'm doing Christmas at my house this year - the last time I did the turkey was off and we ended up the ham that was supposed to be for Boxing Day instead.

Needlesstosay, I haven't lived that one down, and I can't bear the thought of another disaster, so any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated (I don't think we can get the pop up timer turkeys over here)

Bev

Maybe one of you good friends on the DIS will send you a do-it-yourself pop-up timer in the mail! ;) I'm serious - we can get them & insert them on our own...I guess for people who like fresh turkeys. I actually live on a farm (rent) that raises & sells turkeys & geese for the holidays. I've never tried it myself, though. I just buy them with the timer.

The first time I made a turkey, I just followed the directions in the Betty Crocker cookbook. I thought they were pretty "fool-proof". Since then, though, I've gotten in the habit of cooking it with the lid on, which reduces the cooking time. (I don't have to bother with basting it that way - it has a "self-basting" lid.) We don't have the family meal here, so I don't have to worry about getting it ready at a particular time.

The oven bag is clear, so the timer should be able to be seen through it. Just follow the directions in any major cook book (Betty Crocker, Better Homes & Gardens, The Joy of Cooking, etc.) to figure an approximate time, and check the timer then. You will need to take the bird out of the oven to look through the bag.

My lid has impressed in it the words "self-basting lid". It was given to me - I've never seen them in stores . . . but then, I've never looked for them. ;) Anyway, the lid is "dented" so that it is lower in the middle than around the edges. I guess the idea is that the moisture condenses on the lid & runs to the lowest point before dropping onto the bird. Makes sense to me.
It also means that you can't use the lid to cook in - because it doesn't sit flat! I'm sure a flat lid does just as well & you could always baste it like the directions say. (I'm not into directions.) ;) I just hated trying to wash the baster - I never thought they got really clean.

I'm with ya, Spoisal...
Thanks for the thread! I need a lot of help from everyone. I'm doing thanksgiving this year & I'm very worried about the BIRD!

I come from along line of Southern cooks and we all sit around and laugh at our "first turkey" stories! From my experience...don't forget to take ALL the "inerds" out. My first turkey was a20 pounder, I could hardly lift old Tom and when my Dad got to the house to fix his giblet gravy he ask where the neck and liver and so on were. I looked at him and must have looked pretty clueless because he burst out in laughter and proceeded to pull the bird out of the oven...I had left all the giblet ingredients in their little bag in the bird!!! Live and learn!

Have to second that vote for the cooking bags...what a great invention!!

Hope you have much success with ole Tom!!

TK

I use the Reynolds oven bags and they come with a little chart that tells you what temp, for how long per pound, stuffed or unstuffed, etc. I find it works great! I agree also with the poster who said when they leg bone pulls off the body easily it's done. I do like to use the "timer turkeys" too. You can see when it pops up because the bag is clear.
I like to get fresh turkeys because the couple of times I've tried to defrost them it seems to take longer than stated and then we end up having T;giving dinner at night instead of 1:00.
One year we ate the potatoes and everything then had the turkey the next day! Luckily it was just DH and the kids and I!
:o
Good luck! I'm sure everything will be delicious!:)

I don't baste. I've heard it doesn't do any good anyway since the skin is so hard. I just spread some oil on the skin, stuff it, and pop it in the oven. Sometimes I get the ones with pop-up thermometers, but only if that's the one on sale. Make sure you take the temp of the stuffing separately if you use that. Put a tent on the turkey about 1/2 way through so it doesn't get too brown.

I've heard that you can make the white meat more juicy if you cook it breast side down or if you ice the breast first. Putting ice on the breast makes that part cook more slowly, and that's good since the dark meat takes longer to cook so that's why the white meat dries out. I've never tried either method, though.

I just cooked a turkey breast for a reunion. It had the pop up timer but I still used my didital themometer. The pop up came up 20 degrees bofre it reached the safe zone (160-165). I do not trust the pop ups at all.

For years, I put my turkey in a brown paper grocery bag, closed it up and put the whole thing in a big baking pan. Never used a pop-up timer. I justed roasted it at 375 for about 17 minutes per pound. It always came out very moist, tender and delicious. Now, DH fries the turkey outside. That makes it a lot easier on my because it frees up the kitchen for other stuff plus it doesn't take nearly as long.

You should never cook anythign in a brown paper bag. The glues are not made to be eaten and will release their chemicals into the food.

My MIL makes her turkey in a paper bag every year. Always great.

That is a new one on me. Never heard of cooking in a brown paper bag. Anyway you guys have left out important aspects of Turkey cooking! The giblets are put in both ends. Check each side. Put giblets into pan with an onion, celery and a few chicken cubes,add water. Boil for an hour or so. This is your broth. You can make this the day before to make it easier on yourself. Once it has cooled abit put in a container and put in the fridge. This will be your liquid you add to pan drippings to make your gravy. Just make sure to heat it first before you add to turkey drippings. For first timer I do recommend doing is the day before that way you have rinsed turkey and you will be sure it is completely thawed for the big day. And you have the right sized pan. Broth is also useful for making stuffing.

I would say if you have NEVER made a turkey, get one NOW and make it for practice. In fact I am making one today. I can't ever wait till Thanksgiving. That way you WILL look like you know what you're doing and you won't have that built anxiety. It still makes me crazy and I have made many turkeys.

Trust me, that IS the way to go!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter