Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Guaranteed connecting rooms simply do not exist at Disney. That's because they do not block off connecting rooms in pairs when you make a reservation. Connecting rooms is not a bookable category. Connecting rooms are simply a request, although, of course, they try really hard to make guests happy by meeting room requests. But, connecting rooms is a very popular request at Disney. We've heard of a single adult traveling with 4 minors who was not provided a connecting room, even though she also had a "guaranteed connecting" confirmation from her TA. @dansdad travels frequently and has posted about not getting connecting rooms, despite a "guaranteed" confirmation.

Some tips:
If you want to increase your chances of getting connecting rooms, make sure to not put in a request for anything else. Make connecting rooms your ONLY request.

I would make sure that you pack accordingly. That is, make sure the 4-year old's stuff is with your parents, or in his/her own bag, in case they cannot meet your request.

For more info, here are a few very informative threads on this:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/s...onnecting-rooms-for-immediate-family.3732304/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/connecting-rooms.3724958/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/connecting-rooms.3654510/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/connecting-rooms.3611263/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2-rooms-1-adult.3725588/
https://www.disboards.com/threads/connecting-rooms.3724958/page-2#post-60046990
Wow! I don’t know why they would put that on the reservation then. I booked it directly through Disney.

Attachments

• ABBD0AF2-CE6D-41E7-A0E5-B141A8CD16D4.jpeg
    ABBD0AF2-CE6D-41E7-A0E5-B141A8CD16D4.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 57
I have more random questions as we are closing in on our arrival day.

1. Will they provide a rollaway for a fee in a 2 queen room? Worried my kids are outgrowing sharing a bed. Only 4 people in the room.
2. If not, is there space for an inflatable twin mattress on the floor?
3. Any updates on soft goods refurb? Are they just doing paint or what?

1. Will they provide a rollaway for a fee in a 2 queen room? Worried my kids are outgrowing sharing a bed. Only 4 people in the room.

As far as I know, Disney doesn't provide rollaways. A twin air mattress may fit, maybe by the balcony door, shifting the table and chairs. Soft good refurbs usually involve replacing mattresses, bedding stuffs, redecorating curtains, paint, pictures, etc., but usually keeping the same furniture, although they may modify it. There are rumors they may replace the floor with laminate as well.

Would something like this down the middle of the bed work [creates separate sleeping "spaces"] ?

http://www.theshrunks.com/shop/bed-time/security/Inflatable-Bed-Rail/?products_id=

We are traveling with seven people in my family. My reservation actually says “ connecting rooms guaranteed for families “ in bold print in capital letters. My parents and my four-year-old are on the same reservation. Myself, DH and my two sons are on the other reservation. I am not making any special requests but I did assume we would get a connecting room. Do I need to do something else?

Whenever my family goes to Disney it’s like a family reunion of two or three rooms at one resort and we’ve always been connected to each other. I wouldn’t worry too much but I haven’t had anything to tell me otherwise.

As far as I know, Disney doesn't provide rollaways. A twin air mattress may fit, maybe by the balcony door, shifting the table and chairs. Soft good refurbs usually involve replacing mattresses, bedding stuffs, redecorating curtains, paint, pictures, etc., but usually keeping the same furniture, although they may modify it. There are rumors they may replace the floor with laminate as well.

Thanks. We may pack the air mattress just in case. DD14 assures me she can still share with sis, but we'll see.

Would something like this down the middle of the bed work [creates separate sleeping "spaces"] ?

http://www.theshrunks.com/shop/bed-time/security/Inflatable-Bed-Rail/?products_id=
That would've been great when they were younger! I think it may take up enough space to make it a hindrance rather than help. DDs are 11 and 14 and growing fast.

Our family of 9; 2 DDs and 5DGK, ages 9,8,7,4 & 2 and us, the grandparents are staying at a 2 BR LO at Kidani March 24-30. This is our first time renting points and staying DVC. I have many questions:
1. It is a standard view, suggestions on rooms
2. Will there be a pack play in the room? If not can we request one?
3. How comfortable are the pullouts? Would a mattress topper help?
4. Is my understanding correct in we won’t have mousekeeping everyday?
5. How much coffee and supplies are in the room for coffeemaker?

Anything else we should know?

Thank you

Our family of 9; 2 DDs and 5DGK, ages 9,8,7,4 & 2 and us, the grandparents are staying at a 2 BR LO at Kidani March 24-30. This is our first time renting points and staying DVC. I have many questions:
1. It is a standard view, suggestions on rooms
2. Will there be a pack play in the room? If not can we request one?
3. How comfortable are the pullouts? Would a mattress topper help?
4. Is my understanding correct in we won’t have mousekeeping everyday?
5. How much coffee and supplies are in the room for coffeemaker?

Anything else we should know?

Thank you

1. It is a standard view, suggestions on rooms- If you want a chance at a partial savanna view I would have that added to your reservation through whomever booked the room for you. Otherwise, take a look at a Kidani map to see what you think would work best for your family as everyone is different in what they like and need.

2. Will there be a pack play in the room? If not can we request one? You should have one, if you do not call housekeeping and they will bring one.

3. How comfortable are the pullouts? Would a mattress topper help? Not that comfortable at all, I spent 6 nights on one and it was less than optimal, a mattress topper would probably have helped, others have reported they do.

4. Is my understanding correct in we won’t have mousekeeping everyday? Correct. See below:

All Vacation Homes will be cleaned prior to check in.
For all stays regardless of the length of the stay, daily trash removal will be provided.
For stays of seven (7) or less consecutive nights in the same Vacation Home, the DVC Resort will provide a “Trash & Towel” service on the fourth consecutive day of the stay. During a Trash & Towel service, housekeeping will:

• Empty the trash and put new liners in the trash bins.

• Provide fresh bathroom linens.

• Replace facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.

• Replace coffee, sugar, cream, and sweeteners.

• Replace dish washing liquid, dish washing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent.
5. How much coffee and supplies are in the room for coffeemaker?-Not enough generally if you drink coffee each day, especially if you don't drink the decaf. I would suggest packing some of your own.

AKV is an awesome resort. We really enjoy the breakfast at Sanaa and prefer it to walking over to The Mara but definitely check out Jambo House if you haven't been there before.

1. It is a standard view, suggestions on rooms- If you want a chance at a partial savanna view I would have that added to your reservation through whomever booked the room for you. Otherwise, take a look at a Kidani map to see what you think would work best for your family as everyone is different in what they like and need.

2. Will there be a pack play in the room? If not can we request one? You should have one, if you do not call housekeeping and they will bring one.

3. How comfortable are the pullouts? Would a mattress topper help? Not that comfortable at all, I spent 6 nights on one and it was less than optimal, a mattress topper would probably have helped, others have reported they do.

4. Is my understanding correct in we won’t have mousekeeping everyday? Correct. See below:

All Vacation Homes will be cleaned prior to check in.
For all stays regardless of the length of the stay, daily trash removal will be provided.
For stays of seven (7) or less consecutive nights in the same Vacation Home, the DVC Resort will provide a “Trash & Towel” service on the fourth consecutive day of the stay. During a Trash & Towel service, housekeeping will:

• Empty the trash and put new liners in the trash bins.

• Provide fresh bathroom linens.

• Replace facial tissues, paper towels and toilet paper.

• Replace coffee, sugar, cream, and sweeteners.

• Replace dish washing liquid, dish washing detergent, sponges and laundry detergent.
5. How much coffee and supplies are in the room for coffeemaker?-Not enough generally if you drink coffee each day, especially if you don't drink the decaf. I would suggest packing some of your own.

AKV is an awesome resort. We really enjoy the breakfast at Sanaa and prefer it to walking over to The Mara but definitely check out Jambo House if you haven't been there before.

Thank you so much for the answers. We stayed in Jambo house for a weekend trip about 3 years ago and had a great view. looking forward to our stay but spring break crowds might be stressful.

Hi! We stayed at AKL a couple of years ago and we're dreaming of a second trip in late January 2020. How early would you recommend reserving a room? Was going to wait until this summer...but now that I'm browsing the disboards again, I'm getting nervous about all the Star Wars crowds. Also...our room last time was PERFECT. Do you think if we asked for the same room again we would be able to get that request? THANKS!

Thank you so much for the answers. We stayed in Jambo house for a weekend trip about 3 years ago and had a great view. looking forward to our stay but spring break crowds might be stressful.

We will be at WDW the week after you, WL-Poly split stay, and I am certainly going to pack my patience but we will still have lots of fun. Kidani is a great place to stay when it is crowded, it is so peaceful and relaxing at the resort after a crowded day at the parks.

Hi! We stayed at AKL a couple of years ago and we're dreaming of a second trip in late January 2020. How early would you recommend reserving a room? Was going to wait until this summer...but now that I'm browsing the disboards again, I'm getting nervous about all the Star Wars crowds. Also...our room last time was PERFECT. Do you think if we asked for the same room again we would be able to get that request? THANKS!

With SWL coming I don't think we can rely on past behaviors for booking rooms, I have seen a lot of people say they are waiting until Jan/Feb to go to WDW so that they will be certain of getting to see SWL but still there pretty soon after it opens. If you are fine with paying rack rate, then I would book as soon as you can to have something, and then monitor for discounts, if you will only be going if you can get a discount, then I would wait. You can certainly ask for the same room, but I would not advise it, that is a very limiting request. If you do decide to request the same room, I would also add to your request what the features of the room are that you liked, that way if they can't get you that same room they have an idea of what features make it desirable to you.

More questions. We are landing at MCO at 9pm on a Monday in spring break. Not sure how fast we'll arrive to AKL.

1. What time do Victoria Falls and the Mara stop serving (if we need a late dinner or nightcap)?
2. What time does the gift shop close (if we need to grab a bottle of wine and snacks)?
3. What time does in-room dining stop serving if we're too late for the other options.

Thinking also of doing in-room dining for our resort day the next morning. We'll be tired and hope to enjoy some animal sightings with coffee and pastries.

I have already made reservations for some other people for next January, 2020. 2 different reservations for different families. Availability is decreasing rapidly, especially for the most popular dates, such as Marathon Weekend. Already, not all days are available in most Studio or 2 - Bedroom units at Jambo. Kidani has a bit better availability, but there are still several days of the month in each category that are no longer available.

Do NOT wait until summer. Make your plans and try to get exactly what you want, as soon as you can. Most especially, DO NOT go into the 7 month window, which will be starting in June. Once we reach the 7 month window, the availability will diminish very rapidly. There will still be a few days available, here and there, for several months after, but it will be very difficult to piece more than a few days together.

Kidani will generally have better availability than Jambo, simply because Kidani is so much larger, and has ALL DVC rooms, whereas only the 5th floor is DVC at Jambo.

If you are looking for a 2-bedroom, the dedicated 2-bedrooms at Kidani are a bit larger and a bit nicer and they have an extra bathroom (3 bathrooms!) If you are looking for a Studio, it is probably less important which resort you choose, but I still believe the Kidani Studios are a bit larger, in addition to there being many more of them.

I want to emphasize to ANYONE who wants to rent DVC points, RESERVE THEM AS SOON AS YOU ARE SURE OF YOUR DESIRED DATES. And DO NOT wait until you are in the 7 month window. Once you reach the 7 month window, almost ALL of the resorts are booking out almost completely. You will still be able to find something, for several more months (Except for Food and Wine and Holiday seasons, which are already mostly booked out, across ALL resorts.) So, if you want a particular place, or a particular room category, GO FOR IT EARLY. I realize this creates problems if your travel dates MUST change, and you could be up the creek, But that is how you are going to be most likely to get what you want.

If you are concerned you might need to cancel for Health Reasons or certain other reasons, then consider Travel Insurance. Go to https://www.squaremouth.com/ and look at a number of Travel Insurance policies and compare them. Make sure you read what reasons will be covered, if you need to cancel. The covered reasons are VERY specific and exact, mostly having to do with loss of health or loss of job, but they can be a lifesaver.

Just back from a wonderful stay at AKL - Jambo House. We booked a standard room and on our requests (that I put in during online check-in and my travel agent also put in requests) I asked for a partial savannah room close to the lobby. Well it was granted, we got room 3210 (first room I believe on the Kudu trail) it was wonderful after getting back from long days at the park, and while our savannah view wasn't the prettiest, our kids were stoked to be able to see several different times of animals each day, including giraffes and zebras. The noise level was also not a problem. It was our first deluxe stay and we were really happy with our choice. The only complaint I had was bus service was not too reliable, it would say a bus would be arriving in 5 minutes and then keep updating and it would actually be 20-30 minutes. And on our last day we went to try and get a bus to Disney Springs and even at 9L45 a.m. no bus time was scheduled in MDE or on the screens at the bus stop. I will also say we used the Minnie Van service three times during our stay and were very happy with it (the drivers were all experts at installing the carseats and making sure they were installing them correctly based on my girls ages and weights - I'm a carseat fanatic and I was really impressed that all three drivers were able to get two seats installed correctly each time.) And we also experienced a little pixie dust on our arrival day - when we went to pick up our reusable mugs (from the dining plan) a lovely castmember let us get a 4th for free for our 2-year old daughter. She only used it for water so other than the cost of the cup didn't cost disney anything, but it made her day to get to be a "big girl" like her older sister.

More questions. We are landing at MCO at 9pm on a Monday in spring break. Not sure how fast we'll arrive to AKL.

1. What time do Victoria Falls and the Mara stop serving (if we need a late dinner or nightcap)?
2. What time does the gift shop close (if we need to grab a bottle of wine and snacks)?
3. What time does in-room dining stop serving if we're too late for the other options.

Thinking also of doing in-room dining for our resort day the next morning. We'll be tired and hope to enjoy some animal sightings with coffee and pastries.
I see you haven’t gotten any replies - I’m no expert, but you should be at AKL by 10:30 at the latest if you are taking DME. Mara will definitely still be open, although the grill may be closed, there will be grab and go items. Likewise Victoria Falls will be open, not sure about serving food tho’. In Dec. I think the gift shop closed at 11 pm. Not sure about in room dinning.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help, hopefully some one who’s a bit more observant than I will chime in. :)
...The only complaint I had was bus service was not too reliable, it would say a bus would be arriving in 5 minutes and then keep updating and it would actually be 20-30 minutes. And on our last day we went to try and get a bus to Disney Springs and even at 9L45 a.m. no bus time was scheduled in MDE or on the screens at the bus stop...
I’ve actually experienced the updating of bus arrival times at several resorts (we eat at resort restaurants a lot and then grab their buses to a park) my clearest memory of a similar wait was at the GF where I watched an updated time get pushed several times from a 10 minute wait ending up being closer to half an hour. I’m always curious why the dispatch time gets so modified - an extra long load somewhere? They diverted ‘our’ bus elsewhere? They did a driver change which took forever?

I see you haven’t gotten any replies - I’m no expert, but you should be at AKL by 10:30 at the latest if you are taking DME. Mara will definitely still be open, although the grill may be closed, there will be grab and go items. Likewise Victoria Falls will be open, not sure about serving food tho’. In Dec. I think the gift shop closed at 11 pm. Not sure about in room dinning.
Sorry I couldn’t be more help, hopefully some one who’s a bit more observant than I will chime in. :)

I don’t have all of the answers either but I did a couple googles...

It looks like in-room dining ends at midnight so you can get room service if nothing else. The Mara also sells wine by the bottle (check over by the bakery case) and you can get drinks, prepackaged or refrigerated snacks, and flatbreads on the late night menu until they close at 1:30 am.

Our favorite late night option at AKL is the Sanaa Lounge over at Kidani - even after Sanaa’s kitchen closes there are a limited number of lounge snacks still available to order and they are actually my favorite items there anyway (if memory serves this includes the famous bread service but for sure includes Samosas and the salad sampler). Sanaa Lounge is listed on the WDW website as closing at midnight.

Hello all - Are there DVD players in Jambo house rooms? I have not stayed there in years but seem to remember one? :confused3

I’ve actually experienced the updating of bus arrival times at several resorts (we eat at resort restaurants a lot and then grab their buses to a park) my clearest memory of a similar wait was at the GF where I watched an updated time get pushed several times from a 10 minute wait ending up being closer to half an hour. I’m always curious why the dispatch time gets so modified - an extra long load somewhere? They diverted ‘our’ bus elsewhere? They did a driver change which took forever?

The last time I stayed at GF was the worst bus service I’ve ever had. We shared with the Poly so I think what was happening was the buses would fill completely at the Poly and depart to the parks without ever coming to the Grand. One day we waited close to an hour for a bus to animal kingdom as the time got pushed farther and farther out. Finally a CM with an iPad came to the bus stop and some guests told her what was going on - a bus that was marked as going elsewhere was changed to AK and most of us boarded. While we waited for the AK bus we saw buses for the Magic Kingdom and Epcot... even though the official policy is that there is not bus service to those parks from GF due to the monorail. And to my knowledge, the monorail was not down that morning. It was beyond bizarre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter