Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I’ve booked a savannah view room at AKL in March for our 30th wedding anniversary. I’m so excited to stay here for the first time! I’d really appreciate suggestions to make the anniversary special.

I’ve heard rumors about a safari that can be booked. Any one know where I can find information about it?

I’ve booked a savannah view room at AKL in March for our 30th wedding anniversary. I’m so excited to stay here for the first time! I’d really appreciate suggestions to make the anniversary special.

I’ve heard rumors about a safari that can be booked. Any one know where I can find information about it?

THere are a couple of bookable safari experiences.

We stayed at AKL in early December and did the Wanyama Safari. Absolutely wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...yama-safari-at-disney’s-animal-kingdom-lodge/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/e...ngdom-lodge/wanyama-resort-safari-and-dinner/

We stayed at AKL in early December and did the Wanyama Safari. Absolutely wonderful experience and I highly recommend it.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...yama-safari-at-disney’s-animal-kingdom-lodge/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/e...ngdom-lodge/wanyama-resort-safari-and-dinner/
Here is a list of all the nature experiences Disney offers currently. Some are inside Animal Kingdom though and require a park ticket. The Wanyama Safari suggested above is at the resort (along with a number of the others).

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/e...s-collection/#/drawer=drawerAnimalExperiences

We have done a few. I highly recommend the Wild Africa Trek (in the Animal Kingdom), Up Close with Rhinos (Animal Kingdom) and the Starlight Safari (Kidani).

have a wonderful Anniversary trip!

We have done a few. I highly recommend the Wild Africa Trek (in the Animal Kingdom), Up Close with Rhinos (Animal Kingdom) and the Starlight Safari (Kidani).

have a wonderful Anniversary trip!
I second the Wild Africa Trek, the best thing I've ever done at WDW hands down, so far (that's over many trips too). Though my Trek had 4 people on it (including myself) so it was super personable. But I can't imagine even with their larger 10-15 person groups it being any less enjoyable.

I hope soon to try some of the other animal encounters/experiences.

Im sure somewhere in the 331 pages I am missing some detail but we've never done Amazon now for resort stays (Kidani this trip) so I was looking for a little clarification.

So I place the order the day before my arrival and I choose a two hour time window (my hope is for a 7-9 am delivery). What happens when it arrives to the resort....does bell services call me in my room and tell me it's there? Do I need to be waiting for it at the resort when it does arrive? Is the resort charge by bag or by order? Does the resort charge include delivery to my room or is that just for them to accept it? Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
  • <name> - Guest
  • 3701 OSCEOLA PKWY
  • LAKE BUENA VISTA, FL 32830-8445
  • United States
  • Phone number: <my phone number>

My wife and I loved a Wanyama Safari experience for our anniversary trip.
The animal interaction was great and the meal at Jiko was amazing!

I am perhaps off topic, as I have yet to figure out how to simply post a new question, thus I am hitting reply. My apologies to the posters before me as unfortunately I do not have any experience or history with the above questions. I do have a question that relates to previous posts however. Since the Jambo House value studio has reopened as of today, anyone who may be there currently I would be interested to know if they did anything to the interior's of the value studios or was closure related to other construction? Additionally, for anyone who plans to stay in the next couple months... if they would be so kind to give us updates regarding construction. Thank you in advance for your help.
A random thought, in response to "unhappy" CM's and their sometimes very limited information, I believe WDW could eliminate all of this were they far more transparent. Any reservation I have made at AKL or Villas never has alerted regarding construction with exception of general statements on 2019 on the refurbishment site. Even with the 2019 post, reservation site never listed an alert. Their web still does not list ongoing work for early 2020 stays. I have noticed that any other resort from value to villa, alerts on the reservation site, and follows up with an e-mail once booked. Thus, the individuals responsible are much higher up, for they keep their own staff and the customer in the dark. This is truly isolated I believe to this project for some reason. I have tried for almost two years to book in either 2019 or 2020 and without a doubt AKL and DVC Villas appears to be exempt from communication to CM's on their property, at reservations, to DVC, and to the general public. We only have each other on this type of site, so I thank you all for your help with updates on AKL and DVC Villas. I hope to finally stay at AKL or Villa in 2020 as have had to alter plans in 2019 due to construction there with little to no assistance from WDW. Again many thanks to all who help on this site:teleport:

To add my threepenn’orth...

DW and I are just back from AKL/Jambo (11/27 - 12/13). As DW has a back injury that severely restricts her ability to walk distances or stand for long periods, when we booked - 11 months ago, as soon as our dates opened - I requested a disability-friendly room close to the lobby, but when we checked in we were given 4566, which is as far away from the lobby along Zebra Trail as you can get and still be in the building. It felt late (we flew in from the UK and didn’t land until 4.00pm, and we had been awake for almost 24 hours by this time) so we reluctantly took the room as we desperately wanted to ’crash out’ and get some sleep.

After negotiating the up-to-5, over then down-to-4 bit due to the ongoing refurbishment on parts of the 3rd and 4th floors on Zebra trail, we finally got there albeit DW now in considerable discomfort not to say pain due to the long trek. Refurbished room - massive TV etc - but the new beds are so high that DW (5ft 2in) wanted a footstool to get into bed, and she was also unhappy with the lack of a handrail in the shower-over-tub arrangement. (Another odd thing about the bathroom - apologies if unseemly! As Brits we usually find toilets in the USA very low compared to in the UK - the ‘knees up round your ears’ syndrome) but the one here was very high and actually uncomfortable to sit on...)

I slogged it back down to the lobby to ask if they could provide a step of some sort and the chap behind the desk could not have been more helpful - he was very apologetic that we had been put so far from the lobby but spoke to Central Reservations while I stood there and was then able to offer a move albeit only on the next day to room 3501, just under half the distance from the lobby; also a refurbished room and one designated as ‘disability accessible’ so with handrails in the bath/shower, lower beds and a space sufficient to park the ECV that we were due to collect from a local agency (K&M Rentals, on the 192 near the I-4 junction, who we have used several times before) the next morning.

i agree Housekeeping seems a trifle lackadaisical, as our room wasn’t serviced on a couple of days and I had to phone down one late afternoon after being out all day to get the coffee and ‘milk’ replenished. And although 3501 has been refurbished, the mattresses are far from new as they both ‘peak’ in the centre with a tendency to tip you out of bed if - like us - you are edge-sleepers. (Re the best route round the construction zone, we found it was easier from the lobby to go down to 1, outside along past the restaurants and pool, back in via the next entrance and up to 3 - 3501 is the first room on the corridor by the lifts and going past The Mara reminded us to refill our everlasting mugs... :)

This was our first time staying ’on property’ and our first time on the DDP (we usually rent a villa) and I doubt we’ll do this again if only due to the cost. Although the DDP gave us the opportunity to do some meals that we would never have done if paying OOP (Cinderella’s Royal Table, unexpectedly affecting for me with good food and added princesses), breakfast at Akershus (terrific food, and more princesses!), the ‘Spirit of Aloha’ dinner show at the Polynesian (not worth it IMO - cast seemed very much to be just going through the motions except for the fire-eater), the ‘Hoop-de-Doo Musical Revue’ at Fort Wilderness (seriously good fun and good food, and well worth while), character breakfast at The Crystal Palace (good food, and Pooh, Tigger and friends!). FWIW Boma remains our favourite breakfast spot.

I’m already in the earliest stages of planning our next trip, hopefully 3 / 3 1/2 weeks in December 2021 to coincide with the WDW 50th anniversary celebrations and also include both Universal and Seaworld (we haven’t been to either in 20 years). That will definitely be in a villa, though; we prefer the privacy and the space. Oh, and a hint re disabled driver tags; DW has a UK ‘blue badge’ and these are often accepted in the parks at staff discretion but not outside the parks, but if you contact the Orange County tax office you can get a temporary Florida tag mailed to you before your trip, including to the UK, whereas Osceola County requires that you visit one of their tax offices in person.

i seem to be rambling... :) :) :)
I'm going in 4 weeks. Thank you for the update. Sounds like you had a little pixie dust and friendly, helpful CM. I booked quickly when I saw the price at AKL. Now I know why it was such a deal, of course - the construction. I don't care, it has been a dream of mine to stay here, my first Deluxe. I have loved every resort I've been to, I'm at Disney after all.

Below are my random thoughts pieced together from tidbits gleaned here and there. None of it is certain or verifiable, just my own considerations as I try to decide what to do myself.........

I haven't been able to get much information on the construction - I don't think that anyone really knows the answer to this. From what I have been able to gather it seems that the construction was originally supposed to be done by fall 2019. Not surprisingly, it wasn't finished by then. It seems that the Ostrich and Giraffe trails are the last on the schedule and, according to the most recent info that I have, are not yet started. The Savanna rooms seem to be finished(?) on The Zebra and Kudu trails. Outside painting near the pool as well as interior of pool view rooms appears to be at least some of the work happening right now, I think. The pool at Jambo has had work completed, and appears to be in use.

It seems to me that there is still considerable work to be finished. (again JMHO) People are impacted to varying degrees, depending upon a mix of where their room is located and their tolerance for some disruption at their resort.
I am anticipating work to continue for months rather than weeks and expect something to still be ongoing for my own trip in early Feb. SO, I am trying to find an alternative place to stay as I do not enjoy staying anywhere with construction. ALSo, I have a pool view room booked, which may be the worst possible choice. Nothing else seems to be available for my dates - another hint that this is where the issues may primarily lie right now.

If anyone has better or more accurate information to share please correct me.

Bavarian Princess: Your April/May time frame may or may not be affected. It depends upon how quickly Disney gets the remaining work done, which is anyone's guess, AFAIK. If I were planning an April /May trip, I would probably still stay at AKL, but keep an eye on what is happening and request a room as far as possible from construction. I would stay Savannah or standard view rather than pool view, as these room categories have the best potential to find a room away from construction.

YMMV. That is just what I would do based on the little that I have read. I am not sure of any of this. But it is the best that I have and I hope that it helps.

Good luck deciding!

We stayed at AKL in a standard view room Dec 3-6. We asked for a refurbished room not on the ground floor. We were given a refurbished room on the 4th floor Kudu trail with a partial savanna view (view obstructed by people pen and jut-out of the building beside the room).

As far as we could tell at that point in time:

- renovations on Kudu trail were complete; we walked the halls and saw no evidence of work being done

- renovation work was actively being done inside on Zebra trail, in hallways closest to the lobby. There were halls blocked off and guests on zebra trail in large blocks of rooms were directed by signs to take the elevator up to floor 5, walk the hall to another elevator, then down to their floor and then walk to their room. There was signage and CMs providing directions. We only knew about this because we went exploring the building and so we stumbled upon the blockage and signage; otherwise, unless you were a directly affected guest, you wouldn't know.

- as far as we could tell no work was being done on ostrich or giraffe trails

- there was some renovation work being done outside of the Jambo building near the pool area, but it was minimal, and looked like it was painting. Other than one walk to Mara when I walked through paint fumes, we were not affected by this renovation work as it was largely unobtrusive unless you were looking for it or really paying attention to the people walking past and noticed "oh, that person is wearing a safety vest".

- at Kidani there was scaffolding and netting on the exterior of the back of the building at the lobby area, and there were barriers up between where the constructions crews were doing work on the exterior of the building and where the animals were. From one of the indoor/balcony vantage areas, we joked about seeing the animals, and then looking down into the contstruction pen "...and here is **** sapiens sapiens, a rare species...". As you can see, we had some fun with it. But it was absolutely not possible to ignore or not notice the construction works at the back exterior wall of Kidani. I don't know all of what they were doing, but some of it involved painting.

- that said, some of the animals didn't seem to care. One bird in particular and some of its friends were chowing down in the grass right the other side of one of the barriers, and then every so often the one bird would pop its head up over the barrier and watch the humans on the other side, then go back to chowing down. It was quite funny and we watched its antics for quite a while.

- at breakfast at Sanaa, we noticed they had the green human/animal barriers up the entire length of the windows that overlook the savanna, which quite effectively blocked the view onto the savannah. This is the only place where the contruction works really *interfered*, as you outright could not see out to the savanna through those windows due to the green barrier.

Even though the Kidiani works were unavoidable, we didn't find them interfering except for the Sanaa barrier.

Contrast this with our experience a couple previous trips to Wilderness Lodge, which both times we managed to end up there while it was under construction -- and we booked both times at the >490 day mark, so when we booked there was no notice of construction. Both those times where was construction noise and construction barriers that obstructed your natural pathways from point A to B so that you frequently had to reroute. You SAW the exterior construction from vantage points and it wasn't pretty [they did a good job with construction walls blocking interior construction from view, though]. LIkewise, we took a "resort hop" visit to Poly when it was under construction, and again, construction barriers in lots of places and behind them the *mess* of construction.

AKL is absolutely not like that. The interior hallways under construction we found blocked off entirely with a tasteful temporary wall. The exterior works even if there was scaffolding had netting and with the foilage and such in many ways kind of blended in [unlike say the scaffolding that the exterior of WL had had when it was under construction -- there was no blending in or obscuring of that]. I guess because I have something much worse to compare it to for me AKL really was not very bad at all and we had no issues with staying at a resort "under construction". Staying at Jambo and not on Zebra trail, it was pretty easy to avoid it almost entirely. That was not the case with our previous WL experiences.

Finally, the renovation of the Uzima pool itself at Jambo was done long ago. The work being done now in the vacinity of the pool appears to relate to maintenance/painting work on the exterior of the building, nothing to do with the pool itself.

SW

Just returned from a few nights at AKL. Stayed on 2nd floor of Zebra Trail. Didn't notice any construction activity. Really nice to be on 2nd floor with Savanah View. You feel really close to the animals. Refurbished rooms are nice, hear a lot of noise from halls though which I am attributing to tile floor.

We stayed at AKL in a standard view room Dec 3-6. We asked for a refurbished room not on the ground floor. We were given a refurbished room on the 4th floor Kudu trail with a partial savanna view (view obstructed by people pen and jut-out of the building beside the room).

- renovations on Kudu trail were complete; we walked the halls and saw no evidence of work being done

- renovation work was actively being done inside on Zebra trail, in hallways closest to the lobby. There were halls blocked off and guests on zebra trail in large blocks of rooms were directed by signs to take the elevator up to floor 5, walk the hall to another elevator, then down to their floor and then walk to their room. There was signage and CMs providing directions. We only knew about this because we went exploring the building and so we stumbled upon the blockage and signage; otherwise, unless you were a directly affected guest, you wouldn't know.

- there was some renovation work being done outside of the Jambo building near the pool area, but it was minimal, and looked like it was painting. Other than one walk to Mara when I walked through paint fumes, we were not affected by this renovation work as it was largely unobtrusive unless you were looking for it or really paying attention to the people walking past and noticed "oh, that person is wearing a safety vest".

- at Kidani there was scaffolding and netting on the exterior of the back of the building at the lobby area, and there were barriers up between where the constructions crews were doing work on the exterior of the building and where the animals were. From one of the indoor/balcony vantage areas, we joked about seeing the animals, and then looking down into the contstruction pen "...and here is **** sapiens sapiens, a rare species...". As you can see, we had some fun with it. But it was absolutely not possible to ignore or not notice the construction works at the back exterior wall of Kidani. I don't know all of what they were doing, but some of it involved painting.

- that said, some of the animals didn't seem to care. One bird in particular and some of its friends were chowing down in the grass right the other side of one of the barriers, and then every so often the one bird would pop its head up over the barrier and watch the humans on the other side, then go back to chowing down. It was quite funny and we watched its antics for quite a while.

- at breakfast at Sanaa, we noticed they had the green human/animal barriers up the entire length of the windows that overlook the savanna, which quite effectively blocked the view onto the savannah. This is the only place where the contruction works really *interfered*, as you outright could not see out to the savanna through those windows due to the green barrier.

Even though the Kidiani works were unavoidable, we didn't find them interfering except for the Sanaa barrier.

Contrast this with our experience a couple previous trips to Wilderness Lodge, which both times we managed to end up there while it was under construction -- and we booked both times at the >490 day mark, so when we booked there was no notice of construction. Both those times where was construction noise and construction barriers that obstructed your natural pathways from point A to B so that you frequently had to reroute. You SAW the exterior construction from vantage points and it wasn't pretty [they did a good job with construction walls blocking interior construction from view, though]. LIkewise, we took a "resort hop" visit to Poly when it was under construction, and again, construction barriers in lots of places and behind them the *mess* of construction.

AKL is absolutely not like that. The interior hallways under construction we found blocked off entirely with a tasteful temporary wall. The exterior works even if there was scaffolding had netting and with the foilage and such in many ways kind of blended in [unlike say the scaffolding that the exterior of WL had had when it was under construction -- there was no blending in or obscuring of that]. I guess because I have something much worse to compare it to for me AKL really was not very bad at all and we had no issues with staying at a resort "under construction". Staying at Jambo and not on Zebra trail, it was pretty easy to avoid it almost entirely. That was not the case with our previous WL experiences.

Finally, the renovation of the Uzima pool itself at Jambo was done long ago. The work being done now in the vacinity of the pool appears to relate to maintenance/painting work on the exterior of the building, nothing to do with the pool itself.

SW
WOW! Awesome report! Thank you so much! You have done a lot to help me feel better about staying at AKL next month! It is really great to know how the construction is proceeding. I wish that Disney would be more transparent about what you can expect upon arrival, but with great Disers like you we are at least able to get the info we need with a bit of effort.

now, if I could only get a savanna view cl room (not currently available, unfortunately), I would be all set.

thank you!

WOW! Awesome report! Thank you so much! You have done a lot to help me feel better about staying at AKL next month! It is really great to know how the construction is proceeding. I wish that Disney would be more transparent about what you can expect upon arrival, but with great Disers like you we are at least able to get the info we need with a bit of effort.

now, if I could only get a savanna view cl room (not currently available, unfortunately), I would be all set.

thank you!

I agree! This is VERY helpful since we will be staying there, for the first time, very soon! Thank you!!

Just returned from a few nights at AKL. Stayed on 2nd floor of Zebra Trail. Didn't notice any construction activity. Really nice to be on 2nd floor with Savanah View. You feel really close to the animals. Refurbished rooms are nice, hear a lot of noise from halls though which I am attributing to tile floor.

Great to hear! Thank you!

I'm going in 4 weeks. Thank you for the update. Sounds like you had a little pixie dust and friendly, helpful CM. I booked quickly when I saw the price at AKL. Now I know why it was such a deal, of course - the construction. I don't care, it has been a dream of mine to stay here, my first Deluxe. I have loved every resort I've been to, I'm at Disney after all.

Same for us! We've stayed at value and moderate resorts, but this will be our first time staying at a deluxe resort. We're very excited! Enjoy your trip!

Here is the latest list of everyone visiting in 2020 & 2021
If you have any updates please let me know…
January
1/8 - 1/13 lahobbs4 - AKV-Jambo
1/8-1/15 gillep - ALK CL (DVC)
1/10 - 1/17 BurleyGirl - AKL
1/11 - 1/15 MamaJessie - AKL
1/17 - 1/18 ThinkBelieveDream&Dare - AKL
1/24 - 2/2 shbarrett - AKL
1/24 - 2/3 youngdeb12 - AKL
1/25 - 1/27 KimBean - AKL
1/25 - 2/2 maranara - AKL
1/28 - 2/4 mandis77 - AKL
February
1/31 - 2/14 KaboomBoxer - AKL
2/4 - 2/11 mullysisters - AKL
2/4 - 2/12 Mollygirl21 - AKV
2/13 - 2/15 Mom2Colin - AKL
2/14 - 2/20 MadMadamMim1 - Jambo
2/15 - 2/22 starousse - AKL Jambo
2/16 - 2/23 ursalita - AKL
March
3/1 - 3/6 shakes - AKL
3/4 - 3/14 VicarJT - AKL
3/7 - 3/14 nllmncsu - AKL
3/15 - 3/21 Grumpy by Birth - AKV Jambo
3/22 - 3/26 jennf - AKL Jambo
April
3/29 - 4/4 eeyoreandtink - AKL
3/29 - 4/5 andral - AKL Jambo
4/9 - 4/18 WolfePack811 - AKL
4/13 - 4/18 Pooh12863 - AKL Jambo
4/14 - 4/25 cincystamper - AKL Jambo
4/24 - 4/25 Sajchinook2015 AKL
4/27 - 5/8 lisa12000 - AKL
May
5/3 - 5/7 P'colaBeachBum - AKL
5/5 - 5/10 Lilylogan -AKL
5/21 - 5/28 disprincesspatty - AKL Jambo
5/21 - 5/30 dancemom1 - AKV Jambo
5/24 - 5/29 karen4546 - AKV Jambo
5/27-5/28 DigitalOlli - AKV Jambo
June
6/5 - 6/13 DigitalOlli - AKV Jambo
6/6 - 6/12 malissa90 - AKL
6/14 - 6/21 amyadams1020 - AKL
6/28 - 7/4 DisneyDiana - AKV
July
7/22 - 7/25 cmarsh31 - AKL
August
8/19 - 8/28 Minnieloves4 - AKL
September
9/8 - 9/12 Gerweniel - AKL Jambo
9/10 - 9/24 atkinstogram - AKL CL
October
10/1 - 10/15 tinkerbell1991 - AKL
November
11/4 - 11/10 goodeats - AKL Kidani
11/15 - 11/20 tinabina919 - AKL Jambo
11/21 - 11/28 #1eeyoregirl - AKL Jambo
December
January

SW
Thank you! We’ll be there 2/1-8 for the first time and I’ve been a little nervous about the construction. So excited, and can’t decide what room request to make!

The animal interaction on the Wanyama Safari was definitely great !

Like this curious giraffe wanting to see what the humans were up to :-)

View attachment 462906
Awww, that really makes me want to do the safari! I’m having a hard tIme deciding...the $$ and DW is a picky eater. But, it would be so awesome! Dumb question - do you need to dress up since it’s the nicer restaurant? We weren’t planning on bringing dress clothes this trip .

Awww, that really makes me want to do the safari! I’m having a hard tIme deciding...the $$ and DW is a picky eater. But, it would be so awesome! Dumb question - do you need to dress up since it’s the nicer restaurant? We weren’t planning on bringing dress clothes this trip .
There is also the Starlight Safari, it is after dark and on the resort savannas. My husband and I loved this tour and it was more affordable than some of the others! (No meal, just a tour at night)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter