Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

We are considering AKL for our next trip. Quite the while away yet but I'm so excited at the thought. Regarding the bunk bed rooms - are there many of them? How likely are you to get one if you book a standard room with no view? I really DON'T want us to get one - We'll be 3 adults and a child. Are they generally assigned to those with two children, or those who request them? Would really like to avoid, but our budget only reaches to a standard room.
Bunk beds is a bookable category. If you pay for one, you will get one. And if you don't want one, don't book it. Sometimes they will assign a bunk bed room to those who haven't booked that category - just ask them at check in to please change it. They are quite accomodating.

Bunk beds is a bookable category. If you pay for one, you will get one. And if you don't want one, don't book it. Sometimes they will assign a bunk bed room to those who haven't booked that category - just ask them at check in to please change it. They are quite accomodating.

Thanks! We were looking at the UK site and it is not bookable there - just "Standard view, with two queens or 1 queen and bunk-bed, or 1 king bed with day-bed". So we wondered. That is good to know :) We don't want a daybed either so hopefully it will work out!

Forgive me if this has been asked before! This will be our 6th stay at AKL, it's our favorite resort. We always book a standard view room, sometimes we are lucky enough and get a standard Kudu Trail room and sometimes we get a view of the parking lot. Its a toss up and we are fine with that.
That being said online check in used to have an option to request a standard Kudu Trail view and we always picked it hoping it would work out. I went to check in online tonight and that option is no longer available. Does anyone know when they got rid of that option?

Forgive me if this has been asked before! This will be our 6th stay at AKL, it's our favorite resort. We always book a standard view room, sometimes we are lucky enough and get a standard Kudu Trail room and sometimes we get a view of the parking lot. Its a toss up and we are fine with that.
That being said online check in used to have an option to request a standard Kudu Trail view and we always picked it hoping it would work out. I went to check in online tonight and that option is no longer available. Does anyone know when they got rid of that option?
I have never filled in any MDE online check-in requests such as you mention. Though, to be fair, I rarely use that part of the online check-in anyway, preferring to have touringplans send a room request fax for me.

The options have changed multiple times in the last year. And each update has gotten more and more limited. Plus I think every resort has an option of Paddock Area which is a section at SSR. It's the reason we have never made any room requests during Online Check In. We prefer to call our requests in. Then we aren't stuck with the predetermined and limited options and can request exactly what we want.

I cna find the answer to this question, but if i missed it please forgive me for asking again. We will be staying in AKL in Aug, from what I saw ,on different websites, Kidani has the kiddie splash area, can we take our DD to that splash area?

I cna find the answer to this question, but if i missed it please forgive me for asking again. We will be staying in AKL in Aug, from what I saw ,on different websites, Kidani has the kiddie splash area, can we take our DD to that splash area?

Yes! You can use the pools and amenities at both resorts, including the splash area. It is a really nice area, your DD will likely love it!

We are staying at AKL for the first time in September. 1 st - 5th. We are using our friends DVC points and are in a Jambo house deluxe studio. What are people's opinions on the buses? We have only stayed at the Contemporary and are concerned about the travel time to MK.

We are staying at AKL for the first time in September. 1 st - 5th. We are using our friends DVC points and are in a Jambo house deluxe studio. What are people's opinions on the buses? We have only stayed at the Contemporary and are concerned about the travel time to MK.

One of these days I'm going to save this reply as a file I can just paste in a reply box to questions like yours. Many people have the same question and often express concern, but I feel there is no need to worry - and here is why:

AKL Jambo and Kidani share a bus together, but they do not share with any other resorts on property. That means when you board a bus at AKL you are on your way to your destination, no stops required. Certainly, being furthest out from MK, the ride will be a little longer from here than from, to use your example, the Contemporary. But it won't be longer than from other resorts which require a bus ride.

Other resorts share buses between them. That means, for example, if you leave WL on a bus to EP, you're going to stop at GF on the way to drop off/pick up passengers. Sometimes buses will even be shared between three resorts. It's my own personal theory that Disney has this down to a science (don't they, with everything else?). My theory is that they have worked out that for guest satisfaction, ride time cannot exceed approximately 20 minutes. So if you're coming from AKL, your ride is about 20 minutes - so no stops and no shares. But if you're coming from WL, your ride could be as short as 5-10 minutes, so guest tolerance would allow for the bus to be shared with another resort without surpassing that 20 minute mark. This allows them to use fewer buses and drivers but still meet guest experience expectations.

Basically, from what I have learned over the years, most bus rides will be in total about 15-20 minutes no matter where you're coming from/going to. The difference will be in whether or not your bus is shared or not shared.

Make sense?

Again this is just my own personal theory that I've worked out over the years. I could be totally wrong. LOL

Let me also say that except for one bus ride over three trips, we have not had ANY issues with inbound buses and have only waited for return buses at peak times such as after fireworks shows or at park closures, when all resorts would experience that same surge. AKL is such an oasis, such an escape from the fun and excitement you spend your day immersed in and for us it is the only place to stay whenever it is financially feasible for us. You're going to love it!

I just had to pop in and say...17 more days until my stay!! :dogdance::dogdance:

I can't wait to see that gorgeous lobby again, and I'm so excited to see my savanna view. I hope I have good luck with seeing the animals.
I'll get it ready for you. We're there in NINE days and I am out of my skin with excitement. It just never gets old, walking into that lobby, does it? Can't wait to breathe in that delicious scent, too. Have to admit as I drifted off to sleep this morning (I work nights) I had a youtube open with the AKL resort music loop. Just gorgeous.

I'll get it ready for you. We're there in NINE days and I am out of my skin with excitement. It just never gets old, walking into that lobby, does it? Can't wait to breathe in that delicious scent, too. Have to admit as I drifted off to sleep this morning (I work nights) I had a youtube open with the AKL resort music loop. Just gorgeous.
I can't wait to experience this!!! Our first stay in 60 days!!! Seems like forever! Lol

One of these days I'm going to save this reply as a file I can just paste in a reply box to questions like yours. Many people have the same question and often express concern, but I feel there is no need to worry - and here is why:

AKL Jambo and Kidani share a bus together, but they do not share with any other resorts on property. That means when you board a bus at AKL you are on your way to your destination, no stops required. Certainly, being furthest out from MK, the ride will be a little longer from here than from, to use your example, the Contemporary. But it won't be longer than from other resorts which require a bus ride.

Other resorts share buses between them. That means, for example, if you leave WL on a bus to EP, you're going to stop at GF on the way to drop off/pick up passengers. Sometimes buses will even be shared between three resorts. It's my own personal theory that Disney has this down to a science (don't they, with everything else?). My theory is that they have worked out that for guest satisfaction, ride time cannot exceed approximately 20 minutes. So if you're coming from AKL, your ride is about 20 minutes - so no stops and no shares. But if you're coming from WL, your ride could be as short as 5-10 minutes, so guest tolerance would allow for the bus to be shared with another resort without surpassing that 20 minute mark. This allows them to use fewer buses and drivers but still meet guest experience expectations.

Basically, from what I have learned over the years, most bus rides will be in total about 15-20 minutes no matter where you're coming from/going to. The difference will be in whether or not your bus is shared or not shared.

Make sense?

Again this is just my own personal theory that I've worked out over the years. I could be totally wrong. LOL

Let me also say that except for one bus ride over three trips, we have not had ANY issues with inbound buses and have only waited for return buses at peak times such as after fireworks shows or at park closures, when all resorts would experience that same surge. AKL is such an oasis, such an escape from the fun and excitement you spend your day immersed in and for us it is the only place to stay whenever it is financially feasible for us. You're going to love it!

I just want to make one addition to your informative post! ;)

During busy times (mornings & at park close) you will often find buses dedicated to "Jambo House" or "Kidani" - most notably Magic Kingdom buses. This may not happen year round, but it has been a fairly common practice the last year or so! :thumbsup2

From the Contemporary you can walk, boat or monorail to the MK. From AKL your choice is a bus or your car & parking at the TTC. It will not be as convenient as you are accustomed to, the bus ride is about 20 minutes. The trade off is that AKL is like a vacation w/in a vacation, the resort lobby and the savannas are lovely and the pool far nicer than the Contemporary's pool, IMO. Added points this year is you'll be a 5 minute bus ride to all of the new attractions at AK.

Hello!!! Just booked a week at AKL, July 19-26 and we are very excited. First timers to this resort. It looks so amazing. Thanks for all your insight and tips on this thread - it's been very helpful. :stitch:

Jump00:flower1:
July

Disneyvoice, 15th - 22nd, AKL

Jump00, 19th - 26th, AKL

Karenklo, 23rd - 29th, AKL

I pulled the trigger today. My wife and I rented DVC points and booked Jan 17-27 in a studio at Kidani Villiage. I am beyond excited for this trip. I have stayed in values mostly but have stayed in Moderate (POR) as well. This is my first venture into the deluxe world and we are using this as a trial run for buying a DVC resale in the coming years.
January

TeeterTots, 5th - 8th, AKL

Gillep, 3rd - 10th, AKL

Hosler427, 17th - 27th, Kidani

The Lucky Bug, 21st - 27th, AKV

All booked for next year :-)

15th September for 21 nights with free dining plan :-)

Standard view room due to length of stay, would love to be on kudu trail with a people pen view but just happy to be there whatever room I'm in. Just don't want one near bus stops as I'm a light sleeper
September

TandCmum, 15th - , AKL

September

Tk0021, 1st - 5th, AKL

Rhody Red, 5th - 15th, AKL

Shanethesaint88, 9th - 17th, AKL

Wdw4rfam, 10th - 18th, Kidani

Rlk0875, 13th - 17th, Jambo House

Yay!!! We are staying for the first time. We will be there Oct. 13 -17th at Jambi house. We were lucky enough to rent a Savannah view room. We are renting DVC points for the first time as well. I cannot wait!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter