Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

I was originally booked for the Coronado (which is my favorite resort) and received an email that the pool would be closed. We spent an hour on the phone with Disney and they basically told us sorry about your luck and would not offer us anything. After a lot of discussion we decided to switch to the AKL (which added a good chunk of money to the trip). Now I get another email that a pool is closed. Honestly, I want to call and ask them if any of their %$&^ pools are going to be open in October. We are staying where we are at this point. I don't want the stress of changing our hotel again.

Great adventures await at Simba’s Clubhouse and Victoria Falls Lounge, located at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. Previously open exclusively to Guests aged 4-12, Simba’s Clubhouse will be available during your visit with activities for Guests of all ages, such as crafts, facilitated activities, board and video games, movies and more! Embark on a South African-inspired adventure at Victoria Falls Lounge.

This is strange. They're supposed to close those in June. Sounds like they're going to reopened but not as a drop off childcare center.

I was originally booked for the Coronado (which is my favorite resort) and received an email that the pool would be closed. We spent an hour on the phone with Disney and they basically told us sorry about your luck and would not offer us anything. After a lot of discussion we decided to switch to the AKL (which added a good chunk of money to the trip). Now I get another email that a pool is closed. Honestly, I want to call and ask them if any of their %$&^ pools are going to be open in October. We are staying where we are at this point. I don't want the stress of changing our hotel again.

Omg I'd be ticked off too. Sorry it hit you twice like that. Akl is a great resort but the pool is definitely important. I’d be switching again.

Omg I'd be ticked off too. Sorry it hit you twice like that. Akl is a great resort but the pool is definitely important. I’d be switching again.
Thanks. I am definitely annoyed but at least the other pool is open (knock on wood). And honestly, anything else we switch to at this point that interests us is even more expensive so we decided to just deal with it.

I called and asked and they said that the Kidani pool will still be open (albeit a bit of an inconvenient trek). It was definitely a big surprise considering I just booked 2 week’s ago. Isn’t a deal breaker for us but with this being our first AKL and deluxe stay were thinking about more resort time than usual. We’ve never been to a deluxe and I can’t help but be disappointed. Just hoping there won’t be more closings arise. Please let this be the last surprise for our trip. :eeyore:
May we all be showered with nothing but pixie dust going forward. :tink:

Last edited:
Oh man, the Uzima pool refurb is a bummer. It surprises me that they would choose to start it in September, which is one of the hottest months of the year in FL.

I wonder if that will make the pool at Kidani a madhouse.

It's too bad. We are staying in Kidani for a couple of days on a split stay. They were supposed to be resort days, but now Kidani pool will be packed. I understand they have to do it sometime. We are going on points, so moving isn't possible. It will still be a great vacation, just without a pool. Luckily there are lots to do at AKL.

I don’t blame those of you who are angry/disappointed about the pool closing. I especially feel badly for those who rented DVC points because there really is nothing you can do. It never hurts to send an e-mail to Guest Services and the resort General Manager and express your feelings and frustrations. I’ve only been watching this thread for the past few days, so I can’t provide the info on how to contact the General Manager, but hopefully someone else can help out with that information.

Also, if you are thinking of making a resort switch, I’d recommend doing it sooner rather than later. My guess is that as this email reaches more and more guests, more people may be looking to move, too.

This is me. We are there September 2-7 and haven't heard a word yet so are hoping for the best.

Just learning about the pool closure. We’re going in September and have several days planned around swimming so this really bums me out. We won’t be able to change resorts.

September and October strike me as prime swimming months, right? Really disappointed right now :mad:

Just learning about the pool closure. We’re going in September and have several days planned around swimming so this really bums me out. We won’t be able to change resorts.

September and October strike me as prime swimming months, right? Really disappointed right now :mad:
If the cast member I just chatted with online is correct the pool closes 9/4. We are there 9/2-9/7 and are renting points so will get two days at the Jambo pool before heading to Kidani. The saddest part is that this is a no parks trip for us. Just relaxing around the pool and touring other resorts...

If the cast member I just chatted with online is correct the pool closes 9/4. We are there 9/2-9/7 and are renting points so will get two days at the Jambo pool before heading to Kidani. The saddest part is that this is a no parks trip for us. Just relaxing around the pool and touring other resorts...

Speak to the front desk at your resort about your disappointment. First, it gives them feedback about how it makes sense to plan those pool closures more ahead of time. And then, they are in a position to do something nice (maybe give you access to another resort’s pool or so). Especially since you came for the resort experience, not the parks. But even with only one pool there is a lot to do at AKL outside water activities.

Speak to the front desk at your resort about your disappointment. First, it gives them feedback about how it makes sense to plan those pool closures more ahead of time. And then, they are in a position to do something nice (maybe give you access to another resort’s pool or so). Especially since you came for the resort experience, not the parks. But even with only one pool there is a lot to do at AKL outside water activities.
You are absolutely correct. Thanks for the encouragement! There are plenty of beautiful places to sit and read and watch people and animals with a nice drink.

Anyone there now, recently or going soon that can recall (or check) the price of a multi-pack of water? Ideally the 16oz size bottles. Thanks!

We're in the same boat with this being a no-parks trip for us. It is disappointing but hopefully we can make the most of it. I sent an email to guest services yesterday just to let them know this is a bummer. The response back did mention some of the cool things the resort has to offer. It did make me feel better.

Hey everyone. I am in the same boat regarding AKL. I wrote on another forum and so many people were so negative toward me because AKL were offering the use of another pool. My frustrations like with their lack of compassion towards how this impacts people’s plans and time manage, the luxury of flicking from room to pool on chill days and taking alcoholic drinks on to your balcony. Not only that but noise pollution is a guarantee and so is the fact it will be an eye sore. I don’t think it’s fair that we are now not getting something we’ve already paid for??? changing resorts in an option with an extra cost but always means plans will have to be changed slightly. So gutted!! I’ve been left dumbfounded by Disney’s attitude towards the whole situation!

Hey everyone. I am in the same boat regarding AKL. I wrote on another forum and so many people were so negative toward me because AKL were offering the use of another pool. My frustrations like with their lack of compassion towards how this impacts people’s plans and time manage, the luxury of flicking from room to pool on chill days and taking alcoholic drinks on to your balcony. Not only that but noise pollution is a guarantee and so is the fact it will be an eye sore. I don’t think it’s fair that we are now not getting something we’ve already paid for??? changing resorts in an option with an extra cost but always means plans will have to be changed slightly. So gutted!! I’ve been left dumbfounded by Disney’s attitude towards the whole situation!
That's not right that people would not have compassion in this situation. I totally get that some people will be more affected by the change than others due to personal disposition, how one uses the room or resort, etc., but to act as though having pool access that is 10-15 minutes away, when pool access at any hotel is generally much closer than that, is no big deal and to not consider that you're now taking all guests and giving them access to one smaller pool when the resort is designed to spread them across two, isn't fair. I'm staying next spring, so I'm not affected (fingers crossed?), but I have compassion for you!

We're going the 2nd week of November, and while I'm a bit disappointed that our pool breaks may take a bit more work than they probably should, I'm most curious as to whether or not that entire area will be closed off (flamingo viewing, hot tubs, movie night area, etc) with my biggest concern being whether or not they'll leave at least one hot tub open. My aunt, who is traveling with us again, has bad knees and likes to take a little soak at the end of the evening before bed. Going all the way to Kidani to do this, even via the shuttle, would seem to defeat the purpose. I've never stayed at any of the resorts during a pool refurb, so I'm not really sure what to expect. Any ideas?

I find it very difficult to believe they don't have refurbs like this locked down months BEFORE the rooms are even available for rent. This is basically bait and switch. It's like buying a 3 course meal and them telling you that the 3rd course just isn't happening, sorry not sorry.

Given they failed the prevention, their damage control is is pretty lame on this overall. Use the other pool? You mean the pool that will now have double the people in it? They should have stepped up and allowed people to use another resort's pool of their choice, or given day passes to the waterparks, given a gift card*, etc. People shouldn't have to call up CS and beg for these things.

* Btw, I did complain, and got one, so take that for what it's worth.

I am pretty sure I saw your post on the Money Saving Expert forum? I saw those horrible comments, (first world problems n all that) but I was not able to reply or log in for some reason. I wanted to give those people a piece of my mind!

I will be there mid September and I am super p****!

We have a standard room booked, and no doubt this will be over looking construction. How can we possibly sit on our balcony and enjoy the view / with everything going on, not to mention dust, noise. Not a relaxing holiday at all. We have no specific room booked, just a standard. So I don't know if I want to take that chance and end up in a horrible location on arrival.

The email states that they are making the pool at Kidani available and putting on mini bus, but they already do that anyway! They are doing nothing to sweeten their customers whatsoever.

I don't know if I want to go anymore. We are going to sit down this weekend and make a list of alternatives and weigh up the pro's and cons of staying / cancelling and rebooking something else. I'm afraid of losing our £200 deposit. The thought of Disney keeping £200 of my money for something that is not my fault is sickening quite frankly.

I want relaxation! I do not want to have to wait on a mini bus every time I want to use the pool, and wait on a mini bus back to the room if I forget something. Nothing relaxing about all that hassle.

If Disney were to move me over to Kidani village and guarantee a room beside the pool I would go 100%, but right now its a no. I did not pay for this! There is nothing deluxe or luxury about this mess! Disneys attitude sucks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter