Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Hi All,

You can add me to the list.
October 31- Nov 7. Standard view room- Jambo.

Does anyone know what’s going on with the reno’s in Kudu Trail? This is the area we were wanting to try and catch a partial savannah view- though I’m really wanting renovated. Does anyone have another suggestion?
November
10/31 - 11/7 Kc0912 - AKL
11/7 - 11/10 DisneyDiana - Kidani
11/12 - 11/17 minie_meese - AKL Jambo
11/16 - 11/18 RADOPT - AKL CL
11/16 - 11/24 rubysparkles - AKL
11/23 - 11/28 Shelleyfs - AKV

Just poured over several dozen pages to get an idea of the construction work. It’s been several years since we stayed at AKL, but I’m headed there in mid-August with three of my kids. Hoping for a new room, since I’ve stayed in refurbed rooms in Pop and CSR and really liked the new floors. We have a savanna view and it’s seems like Kudu trail is done (or nearly so), so I’ll request that. Thank you to everyone who’s chimed in from their vacations to update the boards!

On our way home. I really loved AKL. I have read a lot of people who say it is dark and dreary in the resort is why they didn't like it. I loved it! There is so much detail put into designing this place. The pool, restaurants, the grounds, and lobby are all amazing. It is now my second favorite after the Polynesian. There were only 2 things I didn't like and one is the cost of dinner at Boma(loved the food). Don't hate me, but was not thrilled with the food at Sanaa. I did like the bread service though. I know a lot just love Sanaa.

Last edited:

Just returned home tonight from another amazing stay at AKL. We’ve visited many times since DD16 was one and still love it just as much now as we did the very first time. We were in CL room 4425 on Zebra trail. Our room was only 9 doors down from the lobby and very close to the room I requested. My parents were even given the room right next to us(4423), which was only 8 doors down from the lobby & directly across the hall from the pool view room they had for one night. This worked out great for my parents when having to change rooms as well as for the fact that DS13 decided to sleep in my parents’ room when my DD came down with a cold. It was another example of how well the AKL seems to pay attention to room requests and try to fulfill them. I’m fully aware that a request is simply a request, but over our years of staying there, they have always tried very hard to accommodate any requests.

We had a great location & were perfectly content in an “old room” bc we have always loved them. Our animal viewing was great as well as proximity to everything. The only small negative I can say is that the lack of outlets is a slight pain; I would simply suggest bringing your own extension port to handle that. Once the rooms are all complete, that will no longer be an issue.

Pertaining to construction, when we first arrived, we could see a little work taking place on a floor just above the lobby desk, but that was over quickly. We could also see the two work vehicles by the pool as in the picture previously posted. However, during all of our encounters throughout our stay at Jambo, we never heard any noise or were affected in any way. The vehicles by the pool didn’t bother us whatsoever and the savanna our room was on (near Arusha rock) had no signs of construction. I did ask a CL CM in the lounge about the renovations and was told that Kudu was now totally complete and work on Zebra had begun. He said they were starting at the end of the Zebra wing & moving in toward the lobby. So, for example, the room we were in would be one of the last to be completed on Zebra bc of its proximity to the lobby. He also said that some of the Zebra CL rooms may still be out of service at the end of October. He showed me on the map that the Giraffe wings would be last. He said they’re being told that February 2020 is the possible end date. If any of this is found to be incorrect, please know that I’m just passing along what I was told. I know that I was curious before our trip, and searching for any information I could find, and wanted to be as helpful to all of you as your posts were to me. :)

I’m attaching some photos from our room view and will update more specifically in the CL thread about the aspects pertaining to CL.

(I know there aren’t any animals in this particular set of photos but we really did see a lot!)

Attachments

• 1778B603-E018-4919-BAD9-C668EB066234.jpeg
    1778B603-E018-4919-BAD9-C668EB066234.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 827AEDA4-0971-46F5-8EB6-B17B2CAC8DFA.jpeg
    827AEDA4-0971-46F5-8EB6-B17B2CAC8DFA.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 27
  • F6842F70-A4B0-470E-A925-8D4603E2844B.jpeg
    F6842F70-A4B0-470E-A925-8D4603E2844B.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 27
I have a few pictures at the resort. Should I post them here or is there a AKL picture thread?

We did really enjoy our stay at AKL this past week overall, but the bus service was not great.

We waited much longer than 20 minutes for a bus on more than one occasion. And on our first morning, when an MK bus finally arrived we ended up on a bus where the driver was being trained. Everything felt like it was going in slow motion. It seemed like an inefficient choice to train someone who was, for example, still having trouble pulling in and out of a bus parking space, at rope drop/a peak travel time. Luckily, we had headed out so early that it didn’t really affect our plans, but I overheard a lot of people who were stressed over being late for dining reservations even though they’d allotted plenty of time for travel. Not a fun way to start your morning.

Once or twice on the way back to the resort we waited over a half hour, didn’t make it on the bus that finally arrived (it was full) and then had to wait another 20+ minutes for the next one — and by then there was a huge crowd behind us, so not everyone in line made it onto that bus and I assume the cycle continued.

Looking around when leaving the parks, the AKL bus line often looked much longer than any of the others nearby.

It kind of felt like they were not running enough buses to accommodate the amount of people staying at Kidani/Jambo combined.

But maybe we were just unlucky because I haven’t seen any recent complaints!

Once or twice on the way back to the resort we waited over a half hour, didn’t make it on the bus that finally arrived (it was full) and then had to wait another 20+ minutes for the next one — and by then there was a huge crowd behind us, so not everyone in line made it onto that bus and I assume the cycle continued.

Looking around when leaving the parks, the AKL bus line often looked much longer than any of the others nearby.

It kind of felt like they were not running enough buses to accommodate the amount of people staying at Kidani/Jambo combined.

We were also there last week & had the same bus experience as you on return trips from Epcot & MK, waiting around 35 minutes each time. We’ve never experienced that before at this resort but have also never been in summer. (usually go in Nov/Dec) I wondered if more people leave earlier in the day when it’s so hot, causing larger bus crowds. At any rate, it was a surprise to wait so long. Hope you had a great trip anyway! :)

We were also there last week & had the same bus experience as you on return trips from Epcot & MK, waiting around 35 minutes each time. We’ve never experienced that before at this resort but have also never been in summer. (usually go in Nov/Dec) I wondered if more people leave earlier in the day when it’s so hot, causing larger bus crowds. At any rate, it was a surprise to wait so long. Hope you had a great trip anyway! :)
Oh, yes, we had a great stay. Just thought I’d mention the potential for bus troubles because going in I did not expect to be waiting long, based on posts here. We are still on vacation, just switched over to our Poly reservation. :)

We did really enjoy our stay at AKL this past week overall, but the bus service was not great.

We waited much longer than 20 minutes for a bus on more than one occasion. And on our first morning, when an MK bus finally arrived we ended up on a bus where the driver was being trained. Everything felt like it was going in slow motion. It seemed like an inefficient choice to train someone who was, for example, still having trouble pulling in and out of a bus parking space, at rope drop/a peak travel time. Luckily, we had headed out so early that it didn’t really affect our plans, but I overheard a lot of people who were stressed over being late for dining reservations even though they’d allotted plenty of time for travel. Not a fun way to start your morning.

We were there this past week and didn't have any problems with buses. We never waited over 10 minutes on a bus. I was happy with how quickly they arrived. Maybe it was because we usually left in the afternoon and left a little before closing to beat the crowds. Also went to After Hours 2 days arriving about 6:30 to the park. We did leave one morning at 7:30 am. Maybe you just had bad luck but I was very happy with the bus service.

For Jambo house, where does uber pick up in relation to the bus stops?

Uber picks up directly in front of the hotel, under the porte-cochere. The buses are a little farther, they are down the path to the left when you exit the building.

We were there this past week and didn't have any problems with buses. We never waited over 10 minutes on a bus. I was happy with how quickly they arrived. Maybe it was because we usually left in the afternoon and left a little before closing to beat the crowds. Also went to After Hours 2 days arriving about 6:30 to the park. We did leave one morning at 7:30 am. Maybe you just had bad luck but I was very happy with the bus service.
Yeah I guess we just had bad luck. Oh well.

For what it’s worth, here at Poly now and there is a bus stop attendant who can radio in to get ETAs (and I assume could request backup) when buses are not running on time. I didn’t see anyone at AKL.

Uber picks up directly in front of the hotel, under the porte-cochere. The buses are a little farther, they are down the path to the left when you exit the building.

Please note though, the address for AKL Jambo and AK (the park) are the same!! Kidani’s Address is unique so no issues with pick up there.

Just make sure the Uber driver knows you are at the resort, not the park! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter