• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

No, one of the items on my DDs wish list is one of those balloons with the Mickey Head inside of them. There may not be any kind of issue with balloons. We last stayed at AKL in 2013, and I thought we were told no balloons or plastic straws were allowed in the room. We (from what I vaguely remember) were given the option to leave the balloon with bell services back then. I could certainly have it mixed up with something else, I just remember my DD handing her balloon purchase to the concierge at the time.

When I was there in September, balloons were not permitted into guest rooms.

No, one of the items on my DDs wish list is one of those balloons with the Mickey Head inside of them. There may not be any kind of issue with balloons. We last stayed at AKL in 2013, and I thought we were told no balloons or plastic straws were allowed in the room. We (from what I vaguely remember) were given the option to leave the balloon with bell services back then. I could certainly have it mixed up with something else, I just remember my DD handing her balloon purchase to the concierge at the time.
Okay, thanks. I have no experience with that, so hopefully someone else will chime in with accurate information soon. I know they don’t sell balloons (or use plastic straws) at AK park, but given that they do sell them in the other parks, it would be pretty bad to prohibit them in guest rooms at one of the onsite hotels!

When I was there in September, balloons were not permitted into guest rooms.
Wow, you were posting same time I was. What do they do when a child walks in the AKL door carrying a balloon they bought in MK? Confiscate it? Check it with BS, to be redeemed at checkout?

Wow, you were posting same time I was. What do they do when a child walks in the AKL door carrying a balloon they bought in MK? Confiscate it? Check it with BS, to be redeemed at checkout?
Yeah, I mean - I was at BS (for a really long time, it felt, lol) and a family came in, accompanied by one of the folks who met cars outside (I assume that's also Bell Services, but I just associate bell services as being the "inside" part). They gave them a white tag like they do when they hold your bags and from the context I gathered (eavesdropping, admittedly), they seemed to plan to give them the same balloon back (as the gift shop didn't have them or anything). I honestly don't know [what happens] if the balloon pops in there - and the family just sort of took the ticket and went on, as I think most of their discussion happened outside the building.

That was how I remembered it. That she had to give her balloon to the concierge and we got it back when we checked out. I wanted to make sure I remembered it correctly - so I emailed, and got a response from someone at resort reservations. Their response said said we COULD take the balloon to the room, but we could NOT leave anything with bell services. The part about leaving anything with bell services threw me - as that was our plan for check in day. So, I was hoping someone here had recent experiences with both items (balloons / bell services).

Thank you Bsmcneil, for sharing. We are going to Disney Springs before heading home, I may just tell her to wait to buy her balloon there.

How is the transportation from this resort to the parks? I'm assuming it takes longer to get to the parks since the resort is remote? How long does it take to get to Magic Kingdom using the AKL bus for example? What about Hollywood Studios and Epcot? This is my one concern for staying at this resort and it's holding me back. Thank you!

How is the transportation from this resort to the parks? I'm assuming it takes longer to get to the parks since the resort is remote? How long does it take to get to Magic Kingdom using the AKL bus for example? What about Hollywood Studios and Epcot? This is my one concern for staying at this resort and it's holding me back. Thank you!
Once you’re on the bus, maybe 15-20 minutes to MK, 10-15 to DHS and Epcot, depending on traffic approaching those parks. We sometimes stay in a timeshare that’s around the corner from AK, and the driving times to the parks aren’t at all long. AKL really is not that remote!

Hello everyone! We just booked/rented points for a stay at Jambo House for November 2022! Very excited to be back on this thread/resort as we stayed here in 2014 and got engaged on our balcony with a few giraffes in attendance.

Admittedly, I have not been keeping up with Genie+/LL so that will be something to learn. Sigh. I have not heard great things and kinda hoping it will be adjusted before our trip. We’ll see. Just super excited to be back at AKL as it’s just so chill and peaceful!

Can you use the drinks station at the Mara now? We always use it to refill our water bottles--with water of course--but I want to double-check that this is doable now, since this wasn't in place in May at the GF.

Thanks.

Once you’re on the bus, maybe 15-20 minutes to MK, 10-15 to DHS and Epcot, depending on traffic approaching those parks. We sometimes stay in a timeshare that’s around the corner from AK, and the driving times to the parks aren’t at all long. AKL really is not that remote!
I'd echo this - I've always felt that the bus rides were more or less the same as most other bus rides. I think there's a part of me that gets onto the bus and mentally logs off - but it's never felt significantly longer to me.

Leaving the parks mid day have found the AKL busses to run less frequently than most resorts. Also daytime buses to and from DS can be a long wait.

I find this is true for most resorts, especially at DS. And try leaving Epcot midday to go to any resort. The bus area is deserted at that point.
I agree . Mid day at the Swan on our last trip was always the worst. DS feels like it’s always bad from any resort.

I agree . Mid day at the Swan on our last trip was always the worst. DS feels like it’s always bad from any resort.
I once had a bus driver at DS who was in training and instead of driving us back to the resort, he drove us to MK! I shoulda known it was too good that the bus showed up after only 5 minutes.

I once had a bus driver at DS who was in training and instead of driving us back to the resort, he drove us to MK! I shoulda known it was too good that the bus showed up after only 5 minutes.
I’m sorry I shouldn’t laugh. And I guess if any bus is going to take you to the wrong spot, the Magic Kingdom is the best case scenario. But if that’s not where you want to be it would be frustrating!

I’m sorry I shouldn’t laugh. And I guess if any bus is going to take you to the wrong spot, the Magic Kingdom is the best case scenario. But if that’s not where you want to be it would be frustrating!
It worked out since we were having lunch at GF, so we took the monorail over. Believe me, we laughed a lot. I think the driver was not laughing.

Has there been word as to if/when WDW plans on renovations at Kidani? We're just back from five awesome days over Thanksgiving and though the lobby and common areas were nice, I was blown away by how worn both the room and hallways were at the resort, so much so that we'll chose another Deluxe on our trip next year. Love the animals off the balcony, but I just can't find value in the price of another Savannah view stay if the rooms haven't been renovated by our next visit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter